Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 124 - AVS Forum
First ... 122  123  124 125  126  ... Last
Home Theater Computers > Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.!
Ken.F's Avatar Ken.F 02:29 PM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I just looked. It was showing for $49 with a $20 rebate. Is there a code ?
Open the link I posted for the CX600, then on the right side under the price change the power to 430W. It should give you the regular price of $44.99 and below that it says $24.99 after $20 rebate card.

techmattr's Avatar techmattr 05:40 PM 07-15-2014
Quote:
You would think AU would have cheaper since it's closer to Asia for shipping, and also economy is strong with boats/shipping so there might be some economies of scale. I guess not. The greedy whores in America and darwinsistic competition at market seems to keep america cheap. I guess because it's a big market ?

Do you have tarrifs or import taxes on products coming from Asia ?

In Europe I think the superflower branded stuff is cheaper and more popular there, we don't see too much of that in the USA. That's good stuff too. Closest we get is the rebadge rosewill stuff from newegg.
Taxes, taxes and more taxes. Oh yeah and more taxes on anything they buy internationally online.
techmattr's Avatar techmattr 05:44 PM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Sweet ! This is exactly what I wanted to hear. So I need a deal now...

I think the newer Rosewill lineup also works fine too, but I have not seen any good PSU deals. Ideally I'd like something under $50, but $25 of coarse is better. But I don't want total junk. This machine if for my parents and should last them several years minimum.
TechBargains was so much easier to use before they updated the site. I used to be able to search for an item.... all the expired deals would show up (current deals as well) and I could click on one of the deals and then click an email link to have it send me an email next time it hit a price I specified..... that's how I was alerted of the $25 price. I can't figure out how to do that on the new site... if it's even possible.

Anyway..... if you can deal with rebate cards it's currently $29.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139049

I typically wait for a deal where I don't need a rebate or anything. I guess if you buy a lot at the same store it doesn't really matter.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 05:47 PM 07-15-2014
Want to laugh... listen to this comcast call.

This is basically exactly like I got when I cancelled my cable. haha.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcons...ntent=20140715
A9X-308's Avatar A9X-308 02:52 AM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post
Taxes, taxes and more taxes.
True.

Quote:
Oh yeah and more taxes on anything they buy internationally online.
If the total of a given shipment is <$A1k landed there is no tax or duty. For the time being at least.
leebo's Avatar leebo 12:48 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
6 x 2TB drives in RAID10? 4 x 3TB in RAID10?
The only reason I wouldn't recommend FlexRAID is because being on your workstation you know you'll end up using it in ways you shouldn't use FlexRAID volumes...
Here's an actual flexraid question:

I have a WHS 2011 that I use as both a media file server (with MB3 and Plex), and also a sort of work station for re-encoding and file prep for MB3. I was thinking of eventually using Flexraid, though probably not till near the end of the year when I may increase my storage (I currently only have 9TB).

Can Flexraid be set up to exclude one or two drives so that I could keep the encoding tasks away from it?
leebo's Avatar leebo 01:12 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Want to laugh... listen to this comcast call.

This is basically exactly like I got when I cancelled my cable. haha.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcons...ntent=20140715
That would be funny, if it weren't so pathetic. Obviously that guy had plenty of time on his hands to play games with the CSR. This kind of thing is so common these days that people have just gotten used to it (especially younger people who don't have the advantage of remembering a time when this was not how customers were treated).

A perfect example is the common recording, "Your call is VERY important to us". If my call were really important to you, you would not make me listen to a recording while I continue to wait for you! They must think we're all morons.

I would have simply hung up and called back five mins later, hoping to get a different rep.

Btw, the guy sounded like he was really trying to do a good job. He probably actually believed he was. The problem I think is not so much him, but his company. They're embarrased? embarrased they got called out is more likely.
techmattr's Avatar techmattr 01:24 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Here's an actual flexraid question:

I have a WHS 2011 that I use as both a media file server (with MB3 and Plex), and also a sort of work station for re-encoding and file prep for MB3. I was thinking of eventually using Flexraid, though probably not till near the end of the year when I may increase my storage (I currently only have 9TB).

Can Flexraid be set up to exclude one or two drives so that I could keep the encoding tasks away from it?
Yeah you essentially have pooled and not pooled drives. You choose which drives to pool. Everything is left alone by FlexRAID.
Ken.F's Avatar Ken.F 01:26 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Sure. You pick and choose which drives go in the storage pool.
leebo's Avatar leebo 02:39 PM 07-16-2014
Tks both tech and Ken.

Techbargans has a deal on a 3TB Segate internal, $65 after rebate, coupon code, and email code. It was about $69 with shipping!
I may be getting Flexraid sooner than I thought!
I'll post this under the deals thread if it hasn't already.

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM/64MB Internal SATA Hard Drive $64.99AR.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 03:27 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Tks both tech and Ken.

Techbargans has a deal on a 3TB Segate internal, $65 after rebate, coupon code, and email code. It was about $69 with shipping!

You need to link me instantly. NOW. DO IT NOW!

I just bought a Toshiba 3TB for $95 shipped yesterday.
leebo's Avatar leebo 04:00 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
You need to link me instantly. NOW. DO IT NOW!

I just bought a Toshiba 3TB for $95 shipped yesterday.
Just go to techbargans.com (you have to go through their site).

Near the top you should see five featured deals, one of them is the Seagate 3Tb with all the links you need. It says you can get two rebates, but I think you can only get one email coupon.

It's good till tomorrow night. If you don't find it, pm me.
rc05's Avatar rc05 04:12 PM 07-16-2014
I'm trying to do the deal + email coupon, but it brings to to $99.99 in the cart, which is just under the $100 minimum for the email coupon. Am I doing it wrong?
leebo's Avatar leebo 04:34 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
I'm trying to do the deal + email coupon, but it brings to to $99.99 in the cart, which is just under the $100 minimum for the email coupon. Am I doing it wrong?
That happened to me at first.

Assuming you're clicking the link on techbargans.com...

There is a coupon code on the tiger web page.. enter that ($119-$20=$99).
Then you need to get the email coupon code and put that in your cart where it says "coupon codes" (or something like that)... $99-$15=$84.

Then you have to do the rebate thing... $84-$20=$64.99

The emailed coupon requires a total purchase of $100 I think, so techbargans has a link to a 49cent ruler or some useless item.

Plus about $5 shipping.
|Tch0rT|'s Avatar |Tch0rT| 05:20 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Tks both tech and Ken.

ST3000DM001's are crap. I've had 4 and 2 have died. They're probably fine for a backup that sits and only spins up for occasional use but if you want to put them in your server for 24/7 use pay extra for a NAS style drive IMO. I have some WD's, Hitachi's, and a Samsung that are 5+ years old and none of those Seagates have lasted a year yet, which 2 are waiting to die that aren't quite a year old yet.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 05:59 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post
ST3000DM001's are crap. I've had 4 and 2 have died. They're probably fine for a backup that sits and only spins up for occasional use but if you want to put them in your server for 24/7 use pay extra for a NAS style drive IMO. I have some WD's, Hitachi's, and a Samsung that are 5+ years old and none of those Seagates have lasted a year yet, which 2 are waiting to die that aren't quite a year old yet.
30+ of these Seagates I've bought since 2012 and not a single RMA ever. My server is 70% of these (48TB).

Not a single problem, which is amazing to me. I've had generally poor luck with hdds, these are the exception.
Dark_Slayer's Avatar Dark_Slayer 06:00 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Uh-oh, here you go

|Tch0rT|'s Avatar |Tch0rT| 06:03 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
30+ of these Seagates I've bought since 2012 and not a single RMA ever. My server is 70% of these (48TB).

Not a single problem, which is amazing to me. I've had generally poor luck with hdds, these are the exception.
It's weird how that stuff works. I was talking to another dude about hard drives and every WD he owned has died but all his Seagates are going strong.

Personally I'm just sticking to the NAS ones rated for 24/7 now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Uh-oh, here you go

LOL yeah sorry I feel burned by Seagate over the last year. Seagate wouldn't even cover this last one under warranty until I raised a stink on their FB about it.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 06:36 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
It's weird how that stuff works. I was talking to another dude about hard drives and every WD he owned has died but all his Seagates are going strong.

Personally I'm just sticking to the NAS ones rated for 24/7 now.

LOL yeah sorry I feel burned by Seagate over the last year. Seagate wouldn't even cover this last one under warranty until I raised a stink on their FB about it.
You are so right. I feel burned by WD. I've RMA every one I've ever owned, at least 20+ RMA to WD over last 5 years.

It's probably nothing more than sh!t luck. I'll buy any HDD for the right price. The cost per TB in relation to the performance is the paramount concern for me, and secondly it's the energy consumption and warranty. Ideally you'd want them all, but I'd take the cost per TB and performance first because spending more on something slower because you *think* it might be more reliable and finding out you were wrong would really suck. My major problem with WD is they are slow and they cost more. My secondary problem is my poor track record with them, which I would be willing to overlook for the right price.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 06:51 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
That happened to me at first.

Assuming you're clicking the link on techbargans.com...

There is a coupon code on the tiger web page.. enter that ($119-$20=$99).
Then you need to get the email coupon code and put that in your cart where it says "coupon codes" (or something like that)... $99-$15=$84.

Then you have to do the rebate thing... $84-$20=$64.99

The emailed coupon requires a total purchase of $100 I think, so techbargans has a link to a 49cent ruler or some useless item.

Plus about $5 shipping.
I am trying. This would be cool if it worked. Nice deal. SHipping keeps hitting me at $5 though...

Best I could do:

MINUS another $20 rebate means $69. That's not bad. That's actually cheapest I've paid for a 3TB drive I think.

Thanks for this!
Attached: Untitled.png (60.7 KB) 
rc05's Avatar rc05 07:15 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
You are so right. I feel burned by WD. I've RMA every one I've ever owned, at least 20+ RMA to WD over last 5 years.

It's probably nothing more than sh!t luck. I'll buy any HDD for the right price. The cost per TB in relation to the performance is the paramount concern for me, and secondly it's the energy consumption and warranty. Ideally you'd want them all, but I'd take the cost per TB and performance first because spending more on something slower because you *think* it might be more reliable and finding out you were wrong would really suck. My major problem with WD is they are slow and they cost more. My secondary problem is my poor track record with them, which I would be willing to overlook for the right price.
If it's any consolation, your WD Raptor is still going strong with me
leebo's Avatar leebo 07:24 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
I am trying. This would be cool if it worked. Nice deal. SHipping keeps hitting me at $5 though...

Best I could do:

MINUS another $20 rebate means $69. That's not bad. That's actually cheapest I've paid for a 3TB drive I think.

Thanks for this!
I thought I wrote $69 inc. shipping?
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 07:31 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
If it's any consolation, your WD Raptor is still going strong with me
Hey wait I lied. That's the only HDD I never RMA before... I have owned a WD and not RMA it.

Those are extra beefy though. I had the first generation raptors (before Velociraptors) in both 74gb and 150gb sizes in RAID0 for OS drives and those ran 24/7 for 5 years. The first ones died at 4 years and 11.5 months (no sh!t) and had like 14 days of warranty left on the 5 year warranty when I RMA-ed them.

The 150GB models I RMA about 4 years in and sold the replacements, only one of them was funky but I RMA both anyways and sold them.

That 300GB velociraptor I bought some time after those first ones because it was fast (10k rpm) and 300GB was about the perfect size for my MP3 collection back then. I only used that one for mp3 storage. It was a nice drive.

I really liked all the raptors and velociraptors I owned. I would recommend them to anyone. Very good performance. Very durable. Very good warranty (5 years is great!) But they are also expensive. Twice the price of normal drives, you get what you pay for. Not a great solution for holding ripped MKV movies at all.

I used to be a major WD fanboy. Raptors were the original cause of that. Then I had some black and Green drives fail on me which made me second guess them for a while. These days I realize it's just sh!t luck, and all hard drives are the same.

Seagate, Hitachi, WD, Toshiba.. they are all the same basically. Hard drive is a hard drive. I like good deals, that way I don't feel bad when they crap out. I haven't had any worse luck buying cheaper drives like the Toshiba and Seagate 3TB's which sell under $100 all the time than I have with drives twice the price that theoretically should be more durable. I used to buy the "best" hard drives when I was a big gamer building gamer machines but now I just buy the good deals.
Wootable's Avatar Wootable 03:07 PM 07-17-2014
People tend to forget that drives are produced in batches, and some of those batches are bad. I've experienced some batches where 20-50 % of the drives have gone bad within 3-6 months while on other batches none have gone bad after 3 years.

I will usually buy smaller batches of of at least 4 drives every month during the year. In this way I will use drives from different batches, and I will always have drives in storage if any existing ones will fail.
leebo's Avatar leebo 11:38 AM 07-18-2014
Happy Day! The UPS guy just delivered my Sparco 12" Standard Ruler from TigerDirect!!!

It's the filler item I had to add to my cart to qualify for the $15 discount on my 3Tb Segate HDD. It's a real beauty too: 12 inches of crystal clear plastic, pre-drilled for binder clips, easy to see black numbers in BOTH standard and metric. It's the LE version (Low Energy), so it will save on my electric bill.

TD paid for UPS two day ground on this beauty (no idea when the hard drive might come though).

Oh, and I had to sign for it. Good thing the driver didn't leave it at the door for some unscrupulous neighbor to take.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 01:29 PM 07-18-2014
haha. What day did you buy? I hope mine shows up.

You can do the rebate online right? Mailing sucks.

And,

I need a add on enclosure option for my server. Anyone know something relatively affordable that can connect with SAS8087 cable ? I hate to run sata wires externally to an add on.

I have a spare PC case which I was considering just using that. But it would need PSU power and sata wires which could get messy. an add on enclosure that connected SAS8087 would be preferred.

Holy crap! WTF... My server just turned off as I looked over at it typing this. What the...? arghhhh.. BRB something is amiss.
leebo's Avatar leebo 05:00 PM 07-18-2014
Quote:
haha. What day did you buy? I hope mine shows up.

You can do the rebate online right? Mailing sucks.

Holy crap! WTF... My server just turned off as I looked over at it typing this. What the...? arghhhh.. BRB something is amiss.

The suspense is killing me.
Not sure about doing that rebate online. I only remember seeing about mailing it in.
I ordered it the same day I posted about it. Wednesday I think.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 10:08 AM 07-19-2014
Quote:
The suspense is killing me.
Not sure about doing that rebate online. I only remember seeing about mailing it in.
I ordered it the same day I posted about it. Wednesday I think.
I think what happened was I stupidly placed a can of diet coke I was drinking down on the server top, my server sits on a counter in my basement. I was cleaning up and doing some odd things and the can sweat and a drop or two of water dripped down into the power button area. The can was right on the edge directly above the norco power button and reset.

I could plug and unplug and get the server to fire on for a second but them it powered down, and would not stay on. I left it alone because I had other things to do. This morning when I came to trouble shoot it I pushed the power button and it fired right up. Seems to be working fine.
leebo's Avatar leebo 10:45 AM 07-19-2014
Quote:
I think what happened was I stupidly placed a can of diet coke I was drinking down on the server top, my server sits on a counter in my basement. I was cleaning up and doing some odd things and the can sweat and a drop or two of water dripped down into the power button area. The can was right on the edge directly above the norco power button and reset.

You fool! That's what the automatic cup holder in the front is for. Oh wait, I forgot you decided your server didn't need one.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 11:07 AM 07-19-2014
Quote:
You fool! That's what the automatic cup holder in the front is for. Oh wait, I forgot you decided your server didn't need one.
lol. I had one in my old gaming machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Trying to make your own will probably cost more than just buying a Norco.

You have a few otions outside of starting from scratch...

1) Do the double-case mod and cut teh bottom out of a case and stack the two
2) Get a 2nd case, buy a bunch of internal to external SAS adapters to keep things clean and cable everything from the new case to the old case.
3) get a 2nd case that includes a SAS expander just buy 1 internal to external SAS adapter and be off on your merry way.

I prefer Option 3 especially if you don't mind used equipment as it will be significantly cheaper and easier than the other two. THe downside could be performance as the SAS expander will limit bandwidth, but depending on the nature of your use with it, it might not have a significant impact.

I've read good things about these and plan on getting a couple soon:

http://unixsurplus.com/product/sgi-3...-nas-jbod-good

and you can do further reading about them here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1711128

But I think it would be more than adequate for media storage. You could then keep all of your other more dynamic data on your pool that isn't on the expander without fear of any performance degradation.
I think the double case makes sense. I don't mind cutting or drilling a hole in the top and bottom of the cases. They would always be stacked. But I could also go out the back and in the back of another to avoid that if cables was long enough.
Tags: Flexraid , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asus , Asus Us , Asus Computer , Asus Components , Norco , Asus Computer International Direct , Flexraid Raid F , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Freeagent Theater 1080p Hd Media Player Stcea201 Rk , Hitachi , Dell , Windows 7 Vista Xp Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver , Hp Oem Window Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver For Windows7 Vista Xp Home Pr , Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desk
First ... 122  123  124 125  126  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop