Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 125 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-19-2014, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
Of course it'll be populated

But if you wanted to turn a case into a JBOD case, you can get something like this: http://www.servethehome.com/supermic...sis-made-easy/

They have breakout cables to connect non-Supermicro power buttons and LEDs too.
this is the route I think I will take. I'm just trying to find a cheaper dummie case that has backplanes. I don't want to run sata wires.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147164

This would be perfect except I question if using sata plugs and power cables with splitters is worth the cost savings?

Is there something like a NORCO 4020 or 4224 that's value oriented? I like the idea of SAS8087 and backplanes to make things easy.

EDIT:

I guess it's this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811219024

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."

Last edited by Mfusick; 07-19-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

On second thought I'm thinking I should just wait for a 15% off coupon at newegg and free shipping and bit the bullet and get a second 4220.

-

Old 07-22-2014, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8273/w...d-pro-versions

Well done WD! WD pro @ 7200rpm and 5 and 6TB sizes launching. I like it.

-

Old 07-22-2014, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Did you look at those prices though? I think they're too high for you
Old 07-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I don't get the drive limitations by WD for NAS systems.... 1- 8 bay and 8 - 16 bay.... doesn't make any sense to me.
Mfusick likes this.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post
I don't get the drive limitations by WD for NAS systems.... 1- 8 bay and 8 - 16 bay.... doesn't make any sense to me.
They claim it's a vibration issue. The more drives you have in the cage the more things shake around. After saying it, I think I'll go set my 9 desktop HDDs to spin down when not in use.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Over the weekend I dumped WHS 2011 and installed Win7 Pro on my server. I didn't do squat to back up FlexRAID since I planned on re-installing everything from scratch. Before the OS swap I stopped the pool, told FlexRAID to not start the pool at startup, then assigned the original drive letters back to my PPU and DRU drives. I did not format the OS drive, I just booted from the Win7 installation CD and went on with the install. After getting Win7 installed I changed all the drive letters back to what they were supposed to be since they got mixed up during the Win7 installation. Having a hard copy of my disc inventory sure came in handy. I downloaded FlexRAID again and ran the install. I had to load the driver from the command prompt again, but to my surprise my config file was still on the FlexRAID desktop. I opened up the drive manager and it showed my old FlexRAID pool with all the drives marked as missing, and all my drives with drive letters in the section below that. All I had to do was swap each drive out without doing a restore! My FlexRAID pool was up and running again exactly as it was before. It even had my shares and e-mail alerts set up. The only thing I could think of was the WHS 2011 files are still on the OS drive in a Windows.old directory. It must have checked that folder for a previous installation and copied all the settings.

I did screw up one thing. I forgot to disable the recycle bin on the drives before swapping them back into the pool. Is this going to hurt anything? Should I assign the drive letters again and disable the recycle bin on each one, then add them all back?
Mfusick likes this.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Your FlexRAID config info is stored on your primary PPU I believe.
Mfusick likes this.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronnie View Post
Interesting.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Over the weekend I dumped WHS 2011 and installed Win7 Pro on my server. I didn't do squat to back up FlexRAID since I planned on re-installing everything from scratch. Before the OS swap I stopped the pool, told FlexRAID to not start the pool at startup, then assigned the original drive letters back to my PPU and DRU drives. I did not format the OS drive, I just booted from the Win7 installation CD and went on with the install. After getting Win7 installed I changed all the drive letters back to what they were supposed to be since they got mixed up during the Win7 installation. Having a hard copy of my disc inventory sure came in handy. I downloaded FlexRAID again and ran the install. I had to load the driver from the command prompt again, but to my surprise my config file was still on the FlexRAID desktop. I opened up the drive manager and it showed my old FlexRAID pool with all the drives marked as missing, and all my drives with drive letters in the section below that. All I had to do was swap each drive out without doing a restore! My FlexRAID pool was up and running again exactly as it was before. It even had my shares and e-mail alerts set up. The only thing I could think of was the WHS 2011 files are still on the OS drive in a Windows.old directory. It must have checked that folder for a previous installation and copied all the settings.

I did screw up one thing. I forgot to disable the recycle bin on the drives before swapping them back into the pool. Is this going to hurt anything? Should I assign the drive letters again and disable the recycle bin on each one, then add them all back?
I also never disabled the recycle bin. I've never had an issue but if someone else knows better i'd like to know also.

HTPC are awesome get one today!
Old 07-23-2014, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The FlexRAID recycle bin option is specific to Snapshot RAID and does not have an undelete feature as you would expect.

Do not delete anything you have not backed up unless you are sure you want it gone.

It might be safer to delete the configuration, regain control of your drives, and handle the duplicated data as appropriate; the FlexRAID recycle bin is not related to your OS recycle bin, which FlexRAID disables.
Essentially, once you delete something from the pool, it is gone forever.

The disable of the windows recycle bin is two fold I believe:

First, disable because flexraid does it differently with the pool.

Second, Delete anything so it's not there forever and can't be deleted later or gets duplicated. If using the FlexRAID storage pooling feature with the recycle bin feature turned on, your ONLY other risk are edits (changing the file’s content) as renames, moves, and deletes won’t be an issue.

-

Old 07-23-2014, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm240sx View Post
I also never disabled the recycle bin. I've never had an issue but if someone else knows better i'd like to know also.
I've done it both ways. But I think the problem is when your recycle bin is full and not empty.

-

Old 07-23-2014, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
They claim it's a vibration issue. The more drives you have in the cage the more things shake around. After saying it, I think I'll go set my 9 desktop HDDs to spin down when not in use.
That's stupid. What enclosure doesn't have anti-vibration mounts? If that small of a vibration had any impact then 1 drive would have issues with any server grade fan.....

Quote:
The default FlexRAID config:
C:\FlexRAID-Config.db

You can make a backup through the UI and it will also be stored on root c: by default.
Mfusick likes this.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's stupid. What enclosure doesn't have anti-vibration mounts? If that small of a vibration had any impact then 1 drive would have issues with any server grade fan.....
"The updated firmware (NASware 3.0) puts in some features related to vibration compensation, which allows the Red drives to now be used in 1 - 8 bay desktop NAS systems (earlier versions were officially sanctioned only for 1 - 5 bay units)."

Maybe that doesn't mean what I think it means. I have 3 cages mounted side-by-side in my server. Each cage holds 5 drives. Does that count as a 15 bay unit or three separate 5 bay units?
Old 07-23-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can make a backup through the UI and it will also be stored on root c: by default.
Thanks. The FlexRAID installer must have found the original configuration in the Windows.old C:\ directory then.

Edit: The original config file and some other copies of the log that I had saved were left in the root C:\.

Last edited by Ken.F; 07-23-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Right, but you can restore an array without the DB file from the C drive I am pretty sure.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
"The updated firmware (NASware 3.0) puts in some features related to vibration compensation, which allows the Red drives to now be used in 1 - 8 bay desktop NAS systems (earlier versions were officially sanctioned only for 1 - 5 bay units)."

Maybe that doesn't mean what I think it means. I have 3 cages mounted side-by-side in my server. Each cage holds 5 drives. Does that count as a 15 bay unit or three separate 5 bay units?
I'm reading that the same way you are.... I just don't get it. It's BS marketing no doubt. We have SANs with hundreds of HDDs packed into half racks. The damn rack feels like a .... "rabbit" it vibrates so much. Not from the hard drives but from the cooling that's in the same isle. Those HDDs don't have any shorter lifespan than any other we have. Whatever. The Reds are still my personal favorites. I wonder if I need to RMA one if they'll ask me how many drives I had in the enclosure. lol It's the only one I swear!

Quote:
Right, but you can restore an array without the DB file from the C drive I am pretty sure.
Yeah I'm pretty sure I've read some threads on how to restore without the config DB.... it makes life easier to have it though. I copy mine to a backup location weekly and actually create a backup a couple months through the UI.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The artificial marketing limit is for the pussified fools that like to follow the rules and actually will without questioning them very much; that way WD can make people buy the more expensive full blown enterprise drives for full rack servers, and if you only have 8 then you can just pay a little extra with the "PRO". Lol.

-

Old 07-23-2014, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
The artificial marketing limit is for the pussified fools that like to follow the rules and actually will without questioning them very much; that way WD can make people buy the more expensive full blown enterprise drives for full rack servers, and if you only have 8 then you can just pay a little extra with the "PRO". Lol.
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.
lol

PRO is good for 8 drives. Non PRO RED is only 4 or less. But the expensive enterprise drives of coarse are for more

I like how Techmattr explained it: "I swear it was only the one drive!"

FFS ... WD. Don't insult us with this nonsense. Other than this nonsense I am please to see the WD RED PRO lineup. Looks good. 7200rpm and 4TB is something I want. Hopefully street prices are competitive somewhat with Hitachi and Seagate. 5 Year warranty is kick ass, I'd pay a little more for that.

-

Old Today, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am happy larger HDDs are coming out, but since I am using a dual parity, SnapRAID solution, if I replace one 4TB drive with a larger drive, I need to replace THREE of them! So I am waiting for the eight TB HDDs.
Old Today, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

But 8TB drives would take forever to do parity processes !

-

Tags
Flexraid , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asus , Asus Us , Asus Computer , Asus Components , Norco , Asus Computer International Direct , Flexraid Raid F , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Freeagent Theater 1080p Hd Media Player Stcea201 Rk , Hitachi , Dell , Windows 7 Vista Xp Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver , Hp Oem Window Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver For Windows7 Vista Xp Home Pr , Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desk
Gear in this thread