Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 126 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3751 of 4070 Old 07-30-2014, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Another HD deal, but only for new customers:

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/seagate-...fk5C0o3CPc2pZg

Rakuten (formerly Buy.com) has the Seagate Expansion 4TB USB 3.0 External Desktop Drive (STBV4000100) for a low $99.95 Free Shipping after Coupon Code: "NEWBIE" (Exp Soon).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 4070 Old 07-30-2014, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 184
I'd be careful about shopping at Rakuten. A lot of complaints about not receiving items or receiving the wrong item during these deals. Additionally there are a lot of reports of CC fraud from customers. More information here: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsale...y_warn_buyers/
post #3753 of 4070 Old 07-30-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 319
post #3754 of 4070 Old 07-30-2014, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 184
That's a pretty awesome thread ^
A lot of details there.
post #3755 of 4070 Old 07-30-2014, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
I'm good with Newegg

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3756 of 4070 Old 07-30-2014, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

In case you are wondering how loud your home theater needs to be to blow girls clothes off: Need help designing serious bass solution for a big theater..horns vs ported or both?

(Am I the only one that worries about this stuff ?)

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3757 of 4070 Old 07-30-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
In case you are wondering how loud your home theater needs to be to blow girls clothes off: Need help designing serious bass solution for a big theater..horns vs ported or both?

(Am I the only one that worries about this stuff ?)
You and Seth Green's "real napster" character from the movie "The Italian Job"
post #3758 of 4070 Old 07-30-2014, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
You and Seth Green's "real napster" character from the movie "The Italian Job"
lol. The concept just seems cool. But 235db to break cotton fibers... um... yeah. (scratches that off bucket list).

-

post #3759 of 4070 Old 07-30-2014, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I still need to expand my server. Wondering if I should just buy a RAID cage (which one) and run a SATA to SAS8087 break out cable to it and an IDE power plug (or SATA).

I forgot how big my PSU is in my server. I want to think I didn't go large, think I'll need another ?

Should I just outfit my thermaltake case with a PSU and that supermicro board and load it with 8 drives? Kinda a big case for 8 drives. Someone have a better idea that would fit next to or above my server ? Eventually I'll get a second NORCO but at $300+ and with babies costing money and wife out of work, I might need to go cheap. IDK... every time I do that I regret it though.

-

post #3760 of 4070 Old 07-30-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you still have the thermaltake case with the norco 5in3s?

Can't you just use these http://www.amazon.com/inch-Molex-Ext.../dp/B0014XDBIA and some sas extensions and long breakout cables to the norco 5in3 backplanes?
post #3761 of 4070 Old 07-30-2014, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I don't have the norco backplanes. I have the thermaltake cages, they have no power or signal distribution or backplanes. They only hold hard drives. I could half ass rig that though I guess.

-

post #3762 of 4070 Old 07-30-2014, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Does it matter if my drives are sideways ? For reliability?

I mean if I took my tower and laid it down so it's flat and not tall, and the drives were then sideways so the label faced right, and the bottom of drive faced left... would it matter?

-

post #3763 of 4070 Old 07-30-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Does it matter if my drives are sideways ? For reliability?

I mean if I took my tower and laid it down so it's flat and not tall, and the drives were then sideways so the label faced right, and the bottom of drive faced left... would it matter?
Well . . . based on what I know about your hardware / history . . . seems like those cages didn't do you very good service on drive reliability

Were they fixed with screws?

Also are your norco trays tool-less or screwed?

From a theoretical standpoint look at all the NAS units that have HDDs on their side as well as USB enclosures that are made for them to stand on the long skinny end. I don't know if HDD manufacturers consider the cog difference when used on their side vs laying flat
post #3764 of 4070 Old 07-30-2014, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Um.. yeah. They were reliable. The WD drives like the raptors lasted 5 years. The only trouble was my green drives, otherwise I've always had good luck with drives. I have never RMA a Seagate 7200.14 still. Not 1. It's been over 2 years and I have a lot of them. Reading the forum and the reliability studies you'd think the 7200.14 is certain to explode a violent death. lol.

My Norco has hot swap trays, they each have 4 screws... 2 each side. I snug them nice with a proper sized screw driver. My server sits right next to me on a shelf in the basement. It has like zero vibration if I put my hand on it. Ok.. it has a little. But nothing crazy considering it's got 20 hard drives and 8 fans spinning inside. I've never restored a drive in my NORCO or had a drive in my NORCO fail yet either. Is that odd ? (knock on wood).

Like I said I am generally lucky. I'm also somewhat tolerant of failures. Had my WD drives not been so slow I'd still be singing their praise I bet. But they were so slow I hate them, especially since they all failed on me. I could have tolerated either or but not both.

You think I could just mount them in a cage and lay the cage on top of the server (drives exposed open air no fan) Actually the cages can do a 120mm fan in front, but in open air do I need it ? No one touches it, kids too small still. It would not fall or anything. Wife is scared of it. I could just use some JB weld, or duct tape or PL premium or whatever to secure the cage to the top of the NORCO I guess just in case. I could chisel it off and rack mount it still when my theater is done.

-

post #3765 of 4070 Old 07-30-2014, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
You think I could just mount them in a cage and lay the cage on top of the server (drives exposed open air no fan) Actually the cages can do a 120mm fan in front, but in open air do I need it ? No one touches it, kids too small still. It would not fall or anything. Wife is scared of it. I could just use some JB weld, or duct tape or PL premium or whatever to secure the cage to the top of the NORCO I guess just in case. I could chisel it off and rack mount it still when my theater is done.
Don't pull out the JB weld yet. I got a present for you.

post #3766 of 4070 Old 07-30-2014, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

On the topic of open air vs fan (forced convection) the fan can kick a lot of butt for very little flow. Extend a molex cable over there for the fan imo
post #3767 of 4070 Old 07-31-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Do you still have the thermaltake case with the norco 5in3s?

Can't you just use these http://www.amazon.com/inch-Molex-Ext.../dp/B0014XDBIA and some sas extensions and long breakout cables to the norco 5in3 backplanes?

I like the norco 4x3 better, just for the increased cooling and lower noise. The icy dock 4x3 are good also, but cost more.
post #3768 of 4070 Old 07-31-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Um.. yeah. They were reliable. The WD drives like the raptors lasted 5 years. The only trouble was my green drives, otherwise I've always had good luck with drives. I have never RMA a Seagate 7200.14 still. Not 1. It's been over 2 years and I have a lot of them. Reading the forum and the reliability studies you'd think the 7200.14 is certain to explode a violent death. lol.

My Norco has hot swap trays, they each have 4 screws... 2 each side. I snug them nice with a proper sized screw driver. My server sits right next to me on a shelf in the basement. It has like zero vibration if I put my hand on it. Ok.. it has a little. But nothing crazy considering it's got 20 hard drives and 8 fans spinning inside. I've never restored a drive in my NORCO or had a drive in my NORCO fail yet either. Is that odd ? (knock on wood).

Like I said I am generally lucky. I'm also somewhat tolerant of failures. Had my WD drives not been so slow I'd still be singing their praise I bet. But they were so slow I hate them, especially since they all failed on me. I could have tolerated either or but not both.

Any fan, even a 500 rpm one will be better than no fan at all for this application (bundled up in a cage).

Remember that a higher static pressure fan is going to be a better solution than a higher rpm fan for this scenario.
post #3769 of 4070 Old 07-31-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
I like the norco 4x3 better, just for the increased cooling and lower noise
I did have to replace the fan to save my hearing http://greenleaf-technology.com/new-...e-cage-review/
post #3770 of 4070 Old 08-01-2014, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Tks both tech and Ken.

Techbargans has a deal on a 3TB Segate internal, $65 after rebate, coupon code, and email code. It was about $69 with shipping!
I may be getting Flexraid sooner than I thought!
I'll post this under the deals thread if it hasn't already.

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM/64MB Internal SATA Hard Drive $64.99AR.
Did anyone go for this deal? I just received an email from the rebate company declining my rebate. They claim I didn't include the "Invoice". I printed out the emailed receipt (like I always do with rebates) and sent that with the rebate form and the UPC.

Was there some other Invoice I was supposed to have received?

Damn it Chloe, we're running out of time. Use the not a computer device!
post #3771 of 4070 Old 08-01-2014, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I didn't do my rebate yet... Lol

Thanks for reminder.

-

post #3772 of 4070 Old 08-01-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Did anyone go for this deal? I just received an email from the rebate company declining my rebate. They claim I didn't include the "Invoice". I printed out the emailed receipt (like I always do with rebates) and sent that with the rebate form and the UPC.

Screw that. I wouldn't waste any time with that and would just file a chargeback. Let the merchant deal with it.
post #3773 of 4070 Old 08-01-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Did you do it online ? Or mail ? What link did you use ? and what bar code or reciept ? You should be able to link from your tiger direct account page.... go into your account and bring up order history and grab the receipt there.

-

post #3774 of 4070 Old 08-01-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Did you do it online ? Or mail ? What link did you use ? and what bar code or reciept ? You should be able to link from your tiger direct account page.... go into your account and bring up order history and grab the receipt there.
I used the link on the rebate form, but you still have to send stuff in. The receipt was emailed to me, and I printed it out and mailed it with the rebate form (and the bar code in the box).

Now they're saying I didn't include the "Invoice". I never received any document that was titled "Invoice".

I suspect the employee who opened my envelope lost it and just said I never included it.

This has only happened to me once b4, years ago. Obviously it's in their favor to deny rebates. There's no reason they can't simply give the discount without all these games. But if even only 10 people give up that's $200 they made.

post #3775 of 4070 Old 08-01-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did have to replace the fan to save my hearing http://greenleaf-technology.com/new-...e-cage-review/

Yep I changed all my fans to noctua cause in my case my house is climate controlled so I'm not needing as crazy an airflow setup as if my home was not.
htpcforever likes this.
post #3776 of 4070 Old 08-11-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I used the link on the rebate form, but you still have to send stuff in. The receipt was emailed to me, and I printed it out and mailed it with the rebate form (and the bar code in the box).

Now they're saying I didn't include the "Invoice". I never received any document that was titled "Invoice".

I suspect the employee who opened my envelope lost it and just said I never included it.

This has only happened to me once b4, years ago. Obviously it's in their favor to deny rebates. There's no reason they can't simply give the discount without all these games. But if even only 10 people give up that's $200 they made.

You ever get this resubmitted or sorted out ??

-

post #3777 of 4070 Old 08-11-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.amazon.com/CSE-PTJBOD-CB1...CSE-PTJBOD-CB1

vs.

http://www.amazon.com/SUPERMCIRO-CSE...CSE-PTJBOD-CB1

How come one is cheaper ?

-

post #3778 of 4070 Old 08-11-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.servethehome.com/supermic...sis-made-easy/

I want to do this. ^ suggestions? The word "blank" has me confused on the cheaper one.

-

post #3779 of 4070 Old 08-11-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You ever get this resubmitted or sorted out ??
I still don't know.

What happened was I had accedentaly sent in my order "confirmation" email rather than the "receipt". So they denied it, and requested I send in the "invoice".

Well, NE doesn't send you an invoice, just a receipt. I looked up my order on the NE web site, and they did have a document with the word "Invoice" at the top. So I printed it and re-sent the rebate form (along with my case number). Now I'm waiting to hear.

Probably had I sent in the correct email in the first place, I would not have had this trouble. I usually have very good luck with rebates. It's been a good 15 years since my last incedent.
post #3780 of 4070 Old 08-11-2014, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
http://www.servethehome.com/supermic...sis-made-easy/

I want to do this. ^ suggestions? The word "blank" has me confused on the cheaper one.
I must be blind, where are you seeing the word "blank"?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Flexraid , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asus , Asus Us , Asus Computer , Asus Components , Norco , Asus Computer International Direct , Flexraid Raid F , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Freeagent Theater 1080p Hd Media Player Stcea201 Rk , Hitachi , Dell , Windows 7 Vista Xp Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver , Hp Oem Window Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver For Windows7 Vista Xp Home Pr , Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desk
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page