Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 128 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3811 of 3825 Old 09-03-2014, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I have one of those. Be careful with the screws that lock the HDD cages in the chassis. The screws that ship with the case (red arrows) are too long and will hit the HDD in the top bay of each cage. I left the screws out for now. I thought about grinding the screws down or using washers under the heads if I can't find shorter screws. I just have to remember to keep the door closed before moving it until I figure it out.
This is good to know. I almost ordered one of these. I think I will hold out and get another Norco.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 3825 Old 09-03-2014, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDestroyer8418 View Post
Mfusick - Not to hijack your thread but figured this might be a good spot for this since your doing something similar it sounds like.

You ever get your board in yet the SUPERMCIRO Power Control Board. I'm in the process of expanding my server. Maxed my Norco 4224. I even made homemade HDD cages to sit on top of my Norco out of Strong Tie Plates at the Depot. They work great but was looking something better so I don't have it looking like a mess with the top open all the time. Just ordered up a Rosewill RSV-L4500 which can hold 15 internal HDDs just not hotswap which is fine since all the HDDs I will put in that case will be out of warranty so when they die I'll just unplug it and take them out later.

Figured I'd pick up the SUPERMCIRO Power Control Board or the Chenbro Universal Expander Kit.

Currently just need something for about 36 HDDs but would like to get around 40-44 max and that would only happen if I keep buying new HDDs when I run out of space before old ones Die on me. Since everything I will buy from now on is 4TB or more I have 8 -1.5TBs and 9 - 2TB which takes up most of my space in the Norco.

I'm currently just using 1 - LSI 9201-8i and a 36port Chenbro SAS Expander. Trying to figure out how to hook everything up. Not sure if 1 HBA would be enough. Figured I can run 2 or 3 HBA or maybe 2 HBA and 2 Expanders 1 in each case. Also was looking at a SAS internal to External Bracket since I will need to link the 2nd case with a SFF 8088 cable. Just looking for the best option. Right now I can only install 2 HBA with my current MB since I need 1 of the 3 PCI-e for GPU so the computer can boot. It's a EVGA x58 MB so no onboard video which the new MB that I replace it with will have to have. But I also have 9 onboard SATA ports I can use. I just don' want to tax the system too much on only 1 card figured atleast 2 should be ok but 3 would be better ?

Also looking to buy new CPU/MB but thats pretty easy to find for me it will me Server Grade Supermicro atleast.
No hijack here; your posts are most welcomed.

I did get the supermicroboard from Amazon, but I have not even opened it yet. This time of year I find myself outside doing a lot of work, plus the twins have been keeping me busy. I currently have another 4TB parity drive (new from newegg in box still) and a couple 3TB (Toshiba and Seagate) to expand to another parity and a couple more data drives.

My current Norco is totally full; all bays are populated.

My plan is probably going to be like yours. I have a few spare cases, and a few spare HDD cages, I probably will fabricate something to just sit on top of my server for now and go another 4 drives. I will secure it some way and just leave them open air cooled (cage has 120mm fan on front) for now. I will run the parity drives off the MOBO port (which spins down drives not used) and use the third IBM card (two Dell + IBM actually) to run the expansion 4 drives. I'll start with only two HDD's, since I already own them here now. I will add 2 more when needed, and when that fills up I will bite the bullet for another Norco case.

Truth be told I am waiting for free shipping or a 15% off server chassis coupon to buy. I have not seen the Norco4020 or 4220 for a deal recently. I'd even consider a 16 bay model, perhaps even 8 bays- if the price is right.

In your case you might be better off grabbing a cheap card from Andy Steb or Techmattr that is pre-flashed and using that as a second card. You can only pump so much through a single slot before you hit a bottleneck. Assuming you use another PCI express slot that should provide you additional bandwidth and alleviate the problem to some degree.

If you never access all drives at once (you run parity or anything?) you might get away with it, but even plex or MB3 server will scan all your drives at once on refreshes and stuff.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3813 of 3825 Old 09-03-2014, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I have one of those. Be careful with the screws that lock the HDD cages in the chassis. The screws that ship with the case (red arrows) are too long and will hit the HDD in the top bay of each cage. I left the screws out for now. I thought about grinding the screws down or using washers under the heads if I can't find shorter screws. I just have to remember to keep the door closed before moving it until I figure it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
This is good to know. I almost ordered one of these. I think I will hold out and get another Norco.
That is good to know. I seen a video on another case similar to the the model and it has the same tabs to push to release the cage so I figured this would be the same and no screws were needed. I'll have to take a look should be here tomorow i'm sure I can figure something out. I do have plenty of screws I can try out since it sounds like they are needed to lock the cage in the case.

Quote:
No hijack here; your posts are most welcomed.

I did get the supermicroboard from Amazon, but I have not even opened it yet. This time of year I find myself outside doing a lot of work, plus the twins have been keeping me busy. I currently have another 4TB parity drive (new from newegg in box still) and a couple 3TB (Toshiba and Seagate) to expand to another parity and a couple more data drives.

My current Norco is totally full; all bays are populated.

My plan is probably going to be like yours. I have a few spare cases, and a few spare HDD cages, I probably will fabricate something to just sit on top of my server for now and go another 4 drives. I will secure it some way and just leave them open air cooled (cage has 120mm fan on front) for now. I will run the parity drives off the MOBO port (which spins down drives not used) and use the third IBM card (two Dell + IBM actually) to run the expansion 4 drives. I'll start with only two HDD's, since I already own them here now. I will add 2 more when needed, and when that fills up I will bite the bullet for another Norco case.

Truth be told I am waiting for free shipping or a 15% off server chassis coupon to buy. I have not seen the Norco4020 or 4220 for a deal recently. I'd even consider a 16 bay model, perhaps even 8 bays- if the price is right.

In your case you might be better off grabbing a cheap card from Andy Steb or Techmattr that is pre-flashed and using that as a second card. You can only pump so much through a single slot before you hit a bottleneck. Assuming you use another PCI express slot that should provide you additional bandwidth and alleviate the problem to some degree.

If you never access all drives at once (you run parity or anything?) you might get away with it, but even plex or MB3 server will scan all your drives at once on refreshes and stuff.
I totally understand I get caught up with stuff all the time and I don't even have any kids. My little expansion started back in March of this year and now it's September already haven't had time til now to really look through what I will need and everything.

It's been awhile since I seen that deal at Newegg. I haven't been looking but I do look at the emails when I get them and don't recall seeing anything like that for a long time. My 4224 was bought 3years ago on one of those deals for $380 shipped. The current deal is what almost $450 and then they give you $40 GC kinda why I went with the case I ordered.

Yea I figured the bottleneck would start somewhere around 26 drivers for a PCI-e 2.0 8x card if each drive can max around 150MB/s, most of mine can't but I just use that for the number for each one. I don't think it matters but that would be about 13 HDDs per SAS port if its a 8i was looking at a 16i as well which might work better for me until I upgrade but even though could be better but such a big difference in price. Might even have to buy a PCIe 3.0 -8x card when I get the CPU/MB. Yes I have Parity moving everything over to tRAID from RAID-F did some small testing but will be best. Figured I can move all my older HDDs in to the 2nd case and make that 1 array since I have 17 old drives and can hold 15 and ill just keep the 2 Parity drive for that setup in the Norco. Plus if I do a little cleaning up on those HDDs some moving around I really wouldn't need to have that Online all the time.

And will have a combo of Plex and MB3 server running on the machine as well. Looks like both are good at what they do. Would have to dig into them some more but did some light testing early this summer and both were great. I believe it looked like Plex was a little better for me when streaming multiple streams off the home network not sure if it was using more CPU cores compared to MB3 but thats another time when I did up the threads on those.
post #3814 of 3825 Old 09-03-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDestroyer8418 View Post
That is good to know. I seen a video on another case similar to the the model and it has the same tabs to push to release the cage so I figured this would be the same and no screws were needed. I'll have to take a look should be here tomorow i'm sure I can figure something out. I do have plenty of screws I can try out since it sounds like they are needed to lock the cage in the case.
It does have the push tabs but I don't trust them. I'm not saying the cages are going to jump out and land on the floor if they aren't screwed down, you just need to be careful if you ever need to move the server.
post #3815 of 3825 Old 09-03-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
It does have the push tabs but I don't trust them. I'm not saying the cages are going to jump out and land on the floor if they aren't screwed down, you just need to be careful if you ever need to move the server.
yea thats alot of weight on those tabs I will look into it when it comes in. If I find a fix I will let you know.

Thanks
post #3816 of 3825 Old 09-05-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

how about just a shorter bag of screws?

-

post #3817 of 3825 Old 09-05-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
how about just a shorter bag of screws?
Bag of shorter screws?
post #3818 of 3825 Old 09-05-2014, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah you know what i mean!

-

post #3819 of 3825 Old 09-06-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

After I get back from CEDIA I probably built this expansion thing with a second case, PSU, supermicro board - I'm still debating on just running long wires out the PCI slots if the case or buying the connector cards.

-

post #3820 of 3825 Old 09-08-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
After I get back from CEDIA I probably built this expansion thing with a second case, PSU, supermicro board - I'm still debating on just running long wires out the PCI slots if the case or buying the connector cards.
I'm pretty sure that's whats I'm going to do for awhile atleast since the sff 8088 cables cost alot more than sff8087 instead of buying the 8087 - 8088 adapter plus cost of sff8088 cable.

Got the Rosewill RSV-L4500 in the other day. Not bad for the price. Almost lost the key's though since they just tossed it in the box and not in the case with the other parts. I do see the problem with the case of not able to use a screws to lock in HDD cages if using the top slot of each hard drive cage. If you only plan on using 12 HDDs then this is not a problem. It's more of a 3rd lock really which I'm not too worried about. The snaps that you push down to pull the cage take some force to push and then you always got the keyed folded down door in front so for the price this case really is decent. The fan's are not loud at all compared to my Norco case with replacement fans in them. I was thinking about changing the fans but I'll wait on that awhile don't see the need to right now. Once you screw in the HDD rails for each drive the setup is so easy it wouldn't be hard to move drives from cages or slots.

So did some more looking might just either go after 2 more LSI 9201-8i cards or look for 9201-16i if I can find one a little cheaper. Hate to spend $400 when 2 9201-8i cost less than $200 only trade off is extra PCIe slot be used. renethx linked me to a PCI video card that should work with Win 8 but was going to hold off til I actually need it should be able to get away without it for sometime. Figured I can move my SAS Expander and use Forward SAS Breakout cables in the Rosewill Case.

Then just run one of the 9201 sas connections out the back of the case and into PCI slot in the back of Rosewill case to link to the expander. So that will take care of those 15 Hard Drives. Then I'm left with at max 21 HDDs I can run in the Norco before I need to do so upgrading. 12 coming from the 8i and 9 sata from MB. 19 Being Hotswap since I'll have 2 SSD mounted inside the case. I'll have 3 - 8i cards on hand but only using 2 in this setup since my other PCIe slot is used up by a video card for now til I need more room but this lets me atleast link the 2 cases together and allow me to still have a way to connect 5 more HDDs in the Norco before I need some changes. But for now I will only have 14 HDDs in the Hotswap with room to add 5 more with just using the 2 HBA, 9 SATA MB, and SAS Expander.

Figured if I still need room after I add the 1st 5 HDD I can then upgrade the whole PC. At that time I'm sure some of these older HDDs will be dead or close to it and they will be replaced with bigger 4TB drive don't see any need to add anymore drives this year in my setup unless they go for dirt cheap around BF. I have a few other options as well to power a few more by moving the guts of the pc into the Rosewill and use the Norco as the DAS box with the expander. Or I can mount cage or 2 in the back of the Rosewill since I have plenty of room.

Sorry if that's hard to read and understand kinda hard to explain that all. Probably no the cleanest install but should do what I need for sometime.
post #3821 of 3825 Old 09-09-2014, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah it made sense

When I get home from CEDIA and find a deal on a case I'll slap mine together.

Anyone has a Server chassis discount coupon let me know

-

post #3822 of 3825 Old 09-11-2014, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Anyone else having a massive memory leak on their LSI Controller? The boot up issues / Code 10 have been fixed at some point with various Windows Updates but over the last 2 week I've seen memory disapear rapidly (10mb every sec) when my pool is being scanned (I use Drive Bender and have posted over on their forum as well) but I "think" it is a driver issues. I've tried various versions (including the May driver pushed by MS Update).

Thanks
Nathan
post #3823 of 3825 Old 09-11-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
Anyone else having a massive memory leak on their LSI Controller? The boot up issues / Code 10 have been fixed at some point with various Windows Updates but over the last 2 week I've seen memory disapear rapidly (10mb every sec) when my pool is being scanned (I use Drive Bender and have posted over on their forum as well) but I "think" it is a driver issues. I've tried various versions (including the May driver pushed by MS Update).

Thanks
Nathan
A recent Windows Update was released to fix a memory leak with the dllhost.exe process. I'm not sure exactly sure what Drive Bender does when scanning so maybe this has something to do with it?

Consider the following scenario:
  • You install update 2670838 on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.
  • You enable the Preview pane in Windows Explorer.
  • You select a video so that a preview should be displayed in the Preview pane.
In this scenario, the preview is not displayed, and then you receive the following error message:

Your computer is on low memory.

When this issue occurs, the dllhost.exe process is started and begins to exhaust the memory unexpectedly until you receive the error message.

Note This issue also occurs when you move a video file to the Desktop or any other folder by using Windows Explorer.
post #3824 of 3825 Old 09-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks - I'm on 8.1 so that hot fix is not the go. I also just upped my RAM from 8 to 16GB as I saw in RamMap lots of memory gets used in the Metafile ("part of the system cache and consists of NTFS metadata") when DriveBender starts scanning the pool. After the upgraded mem, my RamMap showed Active Mem ran up to over 10GB within a few minutes of starting the scan but seems to have been pretty stabled after reaching this level.

Maybe my original 8GB was just too small my pool (30TB all using ReFS drives / 700K files)

I've also a similar "Backup" Server with the same sized pool on WHS2011 but without the LSI controller. I'm now also checking what it does when DB scans the pool but for now it seems to uses under 1/3rd of the memory.

Thanks
Nathan

Edit - added pic of the RamMapWHS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RM.png
Views:	19
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	258754   Click image for larger version

Name:	RMWHS.png
Views:	14
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	258826  

Last edited by jmone; 09-11-2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: more info
post #3825 of 3825 Old 09-12-2014, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Nope something is wrong. Time to hunt the leak as Non paged pool is out to 9.5GB post a reboot in only a couple of hours.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Flexraid , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asus , Asus Us , Asus Computer , Asus Components , Norco , Asus Computer International Direct , Flexraid Raid F , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Freeagent Theater 1080p Hd Media Player Stcea201 Rk , Hitachi , Dell , Windows 7 Vista Xp Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver , Hp Oem Window Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver For Windows7 Vista Xp Home Pr , Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desk
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page