Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 130 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3871 of 3879 Old 10-16-2014, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
And I almost left out the two Intel NICs (i210AT) thrown in for practically free. Not exactly relevant for FlexRAID, but still very useful if you change your mind and want more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 3879 Old 10-16-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzy View Post
IPMI makes it to the top of my list as being an absolute must. The ability to start/stop/make changes to my server from anywhere is invaluable to me.
Also having a working SMBus gives you enclosure management support with a correct chassis if you use one. Not some dodgy pin-taping solution with a desktop motherboard.

With LSI controllers flashed to their generic form, ECC RAM, the whole setup is practically enterprise certified for almost no increase in price. Why would you not want that???

[ADDED] There's a good reason I underlined "only".
Disclosure: I work as a SAN storage engineer during the day, experimenting with x86 storages at night
IPMI, ECC RAM, dual LAN etc. ... hardly come at the top of everybody's list (perhaps). Somehow server professionals gather in this type of threads and recommend products from professional viewpoint.

And any recommedations for an inexpensive 4 x SATA controller PCIe 2.0 x4 card that does not degrade the quality of your system?
post #3873 of 3879 Old 10-16-2014, 11:44 PM

I had practically the same viewpoint as you did when I started as a PC enthusiast in my early teen years; dissing the stringent requirement by enterprise environment. These days I just don't have as much free time doing low level problem-solving. I expect hardware side of things to be fairly trouble-free, then just focus on the software stack. Not having to penny scrape with a good salary also helps I guess.
This is why the whole SM X10SL7-F, 2x M1015/H310/H200, 24-bay setup is so attractive. A rock-solid platform for almost no extra cost. You can leave home with peace of mind knowing whatever happens it probably won't be the hardware, then you troubleshoot it remotely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
And any recommendations for an inexpensive 4 x SATA controller PCIe 2.0 x4 card that does not degrade the quality of your system?
You meant 8x ports right? Still haven't found anything cheaper than H200/H310 after M1015 went up in price. The full conversion process for Dell cards is a fair bit longer in steps. I guess that's why ppl haven't purchased much of them, and thus keeping price low

Last edited by wuzy; 10-16-2014 at 11:54 PM.
post #3874 of 3879 Old 10-17-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzy View Post
I had practically the same viewpoint as you did when I started as a PC enthusiast in my early teen years; dissing the stringent requirement by enterprise environment. These days I just don't have as much free time doing low level problem-solving. I expect hardware side of things to be fairly trouble-free, then just focus on the software stack. Not having to penny scrape with a good salary also helps I guess.
This is why the whole SM X10SL7-F, 2x M1015/H310/H200, 24-bay setup is so attractive. A rock-solid platform for almost no extra cost. You can leave home with peace of mind knowing whatever happens it probably won't be the hardware, then you troubleshoot it remotely.

You meant 8x ports right? Still haven't found anything cheaper than H200/H310 after M1015 went up in price. The full conversion process for Dell cards is a fair bit longer in steps. I guess that's why ppl haven't purchased much of them, and thus keeping price low
For those who want 3 x LSI 8-port SAS controller + IPMI (and dual LAN, ECC), then X10SL7-F may come first among a bunch of LGA1150 server motherboards (because it's the cheapest). But that's it.

For me, the lack of expansion slots for other devices (mainly TV tuners) is a huge no-go. Requiring ECC RAM is pretty bad because I can't reuse non-ECC RAM from other systems. Your top priority is not necessarily other people's.

Last edited by renethx; 10-17-2014 at 05:56 PM.
post #3875 of 3879 Old 10-17-2014, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys, I have a small problem, hopefully someone can help me out: I moved out gear into a new case...

I need to re create my Raid_F with Pooling after I moved the old gear into a new case, when I did this, I didnt delete Raid-F array , but for some dumb reason I uninstalled raid-f, etc...was a late night.

So, I have installed everything in the new case, I had 2 4 TB PPU HDDS and 6 DDru.....now the drives do show up disk manager, but not in windows explorer. I would like to install the latest Raid-F, put my original license back in and re-create my Raid-F array.

What do I need to do so that the HHD's shows up in window explorer?

thank you
S
post #3876 of 3879 Old 10-17-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by shftup View Post
Hi guys, I have a small problem, hopefully someone can help me out: I moved out gear into a new case...

I need to re create my Raid_F with Pooling after I moved the old gear into a new case, when I did this, I didnt delete Raid-F array , but for some dumb reason I uninstalled raid-f, etc...was a late night.

So, I have installed everything in the new case, I had 2 4 TB PPU HDDS and 6 DDru.....now the drives do show up disk manager, but not in windows explorer. I would like to install the latest Raid-F, put my original license back in and re-create my Raid-F array.

What do I need to do so that the HHD's shows up in window explorer?

thank you
S
Click the start button, type Manage and hit enter. Go to Disk Management. For each of the HDDs that were in the pool, right click and select Change Drive Letter and Paths. Delete the path, then then go back in the same way and add a drive letter.
post #3877 of 3879 Old 10-17-2014, 03:13 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Click the start button, type Manage and hit enter. Go to Disk Management. For each of the HDDs that were in the pool, right click and select Change Drive Letter and Paths. Delete the path, then then go back in the same way and add a drive letter.
Thank you, will try this after work tonight!
S
post #3878 of 3879 Old 10-18-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
For those who want 3 x LSI 8-port SAS controller + IPMI (and dual LAN, ECC), then X10SL7-F may come first among a bunch of LGA1150 server motherboards (because it's the cheapest). But that's it.

For me, the lack of expansion slots for other devices (mainly TV tuners) is a huge no-go. Requiring ECC RAM is pretty bad because I can't reuse non-ECC RAM from other systems. Your top priority is not necessarily other people's.
There's only 16x PCIe 3.0 lanes in LGA1150, and I don't think I've seen one that splits into 4/4/4/4 yet. Then there's the PCH leaving only 4x lanes for a PCIe card(s). While the other 4x are usually taken up by add-on controllers.

In the past I've experimented with a fun 'passthrough everything and the kitchen sink' with VMware ESXi and a MSI 890FXA-GD70. 5x PEG 16x slots plus one 1x slot. You could chuck just about any PCIe card, pass it through to it's own VM thanks to IOMMU (Vt-d equiv.), a real pipedream. Wasn't very stable of course. Eventually I moved on from my one-machine-rules-all pursuit to something I can leave alone.

I've learnt you can't have your cake and eat it too, but you can get pretty darn close to it with X10SL7-F. A pure storage monster.
post #3879 of 3879 Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 922
Got my new expansion chassis in... it looks nice. Would recommend so far.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3880 of 3879 Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM

Liked: 10
Hey guys,

This seemed like the best place for getting advice before I purchase anything, so I'll shoot.

I am looking to build a server, build a nas, or purchase a nas that will allow me do to the following:

1. Automatically save files from several laptops to a central location as a back up (this central back up would be set up for regular backups with an external disk)
2. Print to a printer from those laptops
3. Back up Photos (raw, jpg, lightroom)
4. Serve media (Dvd rips, music, photos) I have it set up for direct play through MB3 right now, and Plex if I have to. It seems Plex has a lot better compatibility across different equipment. There will be 3 simultaneous streams to tvs, and I will be sure to set it up to not require transcoding.
5. I am going to aim for about 5-8 TB to start. Backup/Parity and ability for expansion would be nice. I don't plan on doing blu-ray, but it is a possibility in the future. I don't have wired access to all the TV areas, and running them would sure go against WAF.

I don't see buying a nas being a cost effective way to serve media, especially when the kids eventually get tablets/whatever. MB3 isn't supported on very many, and they charge a lot if you want to use plex for transcoding.

I looked into Freenas/unraid, but I don't think I want to learn Linux, which seems like it would be required for the inevitable problem or to set up a print server. I do like that you can run these off of a flash drive.

It looks like a lot of folks go for Flexraid, which seems like it would work fine for me. Hardware raid seems to not allow easy incremental expansion. I plan to start with 2-3 drives for data storage and to go from there. I think I would want a separate drive for backing up computer files / photos because they would have a tendency to change a lot. Or would setting them to back up once a week or something be sufficient? I don't add photos that often.

Thanks for all of your help, let me know if anything I am thinking is wrong/dumb or whatever.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Flexraid , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asus , Asus Us , Asus Computer , Asus Components , Norco , Asus Computer International Direct , Flexraid Raid F , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Freeagent Theater 1080p Hd Media Player Stcea201 Rk , Hitachi , Dell , Windows 7 Vista Xp Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver , Hp Oem Window Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver For Windows7 Vista Xp Home Pr , Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desk
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page