Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 133 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3961 of 3966 Old Yesterday, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
This is, essentially, the very configuration that @kapone helped me put together. It works like a champ, with only one downside, the noise from the SE3016. I too replaced all the fans with silent ones very first thing. That's when I discovered that the noise is almost entirely the product of the PSU and the miniature fans inside it. Unfortunately, it isn't a normal PSU, so swapping it out for a quieter model isn't really an option. Since I wound up putting the server into a walk-in closet, the noise became a non-issue. The unit is certainly not conducive to being placed near the viewing area or near a sleeping area (unless there is a sound barrier like a closet door).

Although I was the only person who could hear the server with the door closed, it still "bothered" me that I could hear it during times when the room was silent. An egg crate tacked to the inside of the door eliminated that problem entirely.
You most certainly can swap it out for an ATX Model, it has been done, and i am using this expander with an ATX Power supply inside of 2x 24 Bay 4u cases welded together. I plan on adding 2 more of these expanders to fill this server. The connector looks like and is a motherboard 4 pin connector but it is pinned differently. So if you do swap to a ATX PSU please re pin the connector so you do not kill your expander.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 3966 Old Yesterday, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtt485 View Post
As i have been told before and i will see if i can find it, all SAS expanders operate like network switches, the ports aren't really designed specifically for in and out, i think they did it this way to make it uniform.
While that may be true, I haven'y found any evidence of anyone who has successfully done it with the SE3016

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=...9&postcount=26

Quote:
I tried hooking the SAS in and SAS out port of ONE SE-3016 to the two wide ports on the LSI 9200-8e....no matter what I do, only one link will come up at a time:
and

Quote:
Se3016 does not support dual links
and

Quote:
Se3016 support only single link as I know.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #3963 of 3966 Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
This is, essentially, the very configuration that @kapone helped me put together. It works like a champ, with only one downside, the noise from the SE3016. I too replaced all the fans with silent ones very first thing. That's when I discovered that the noise is almost entirely the product of the PSU and the miniature fans inside it. Unfortunately, it isn't a normal PSU, so swapping it out for a quieter model isn't really an option. Since I wound up putting the server into a walk-in closet, the noise became a non-issue. The unit is certainly not conducive to being placed near the viewing area or near a sleeping area (unless there is a sound barrier like a closet door).

Although I was the only person who could hear the server with the door closed, it still "bothered" me that I could hear it during times when the room was silent. An egg crate tacked to the inside of the door eliminated that problem entirely.
Why can't you swap psu out ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3964 of 3966 Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I don't have another 8088 cable. But the chassis only has one input.

I only run one 8088 to it, which in turn only runs from one port on the IBM card. Does that matter?

I'll benchmark a few copy paste after I get more drives installed.
But, you do have a spare expander card. looks like you have enough room in that case to put it in there.

I would experiment with running 2 rows on each expander card.

Another option: I saw that they sell that chassis without caddies for super cheap. buy on of those and then pull 2 rows out of yours and stick it in the bare chassis.

Last edited by Andy_Steb; Yesterday at 07:14 AM.
post #3965 of 3966 Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Why can't you swap psu out ?
you can read my post at the top
post #3966 of 3966 Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post
But, you do have a spare expander card. looks like you have enough room in that case to put it in there.

I would experiment with running 2 rows on each expander card.

Another option: I saw that they sell that chassis without caddies for super cheap. buy on of those and then pull 2 rows out of yours and stick it in the bare chassis.
This could be a good option, just as a spare too incase something breaks. GOOD IDEA! I might do that. But so far I am getting good speed. I don't have it stuffed full of drives, but there is a few and parity was running update when I left this morning. I'll check on it. My initial impression is it's pretty good. Anything near 100MB/sec I am happy with. I was not really planning on filling up the entire thing anyways, not yet at least.

At some point a second NORCO chassis with two expanders and running half from one and half from the other might make sense too.

I saw this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-11147154-L07D

It's on sale for $49 witht the $20 coupon code for Halloween. That plus this $30 SAS expander, a $60 Flashed IBM card, makes the ultimate cheap media server. It's all right there for basically no money. I almost want to grab it, use this supermicro board, and SAS expander, spare PSU I got and try it as a second chassis. I think that could work awesome too.
This is a good expansion option for an all in one PC or desktop or HTPC to. Any x8 slot mobo having machine could run it easily. The external cable plug in makes it easy too, really happy I went that direction.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Flexraid , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asus , Asus Us , Asus Computer , Asus Components , Norco , Asus Computer International Direct , Flexraid Raid F , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Freeagent Theater 1080p Hd Media Player Stcea201 Rk , Hitachi , Dell , Windows 7 Vista Xp Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver , Hp Oem Window Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver For Windows7 Vista Xp Home Pr , Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desk
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page