Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 136 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4051 of 4068 Old 12-13-2014, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbanjr View Post
What are your thoughts about using a barebones supermicro case just for the drive bays and putting in a new motherboard, controller cards, fans, powersupply, etc.?
This is what i did and luckily for me the backplanes are easily removed and i can continue to use the case with some sata power splitters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 4068 Old 12-13-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlah384 View Post
It seems like the two Xeon X5650 CPUs alone make it a great deal...those xeons are still $500 ea if bought separately...
Looks like they are worth ~$80 each to me http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271638207637?lpid=82

If these refurb systems were such a good deal they would be hard to find at this price. If the parts are worth a lot more than the whole system then the seller would sell it in pieces. You mostly get what you pay for. I'd rather have a newer more efficient system.
Dark_Slayer likes this.

post #4053 of 4068 Old 12-15-2014, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Old PC gear is hot and noisy... energy consuming.. and always seems to bring me more pain than I want.
I can't fully agree to this, but a word to @mlah384 along the same lines on the supermicro and off-lease Dell PERC pre-built servers for sale

These can be seen a variety of ways. There are "deals" to be had in this market, not just for servers but all pcs/laptops. I'd advise against it for your main server components. Not because they will give you headaches (because they can but people also run into headaches with all new parts, etc) or because it will be much hotter and noisier (your server is going to put off some heat and noise, most can be run fine in a large basement and at the same time nearly none can be ran in a closed cupboard or closet without modifying ventilation)

Most standard server parts are noisy, not getting around that easily but something that is 4u or a standard case with HDD cages or racks can often make use of quieter 120mm fans (not silent enough to run in a bedroom usually, but pretty good for an office or somewhere ~ about the same noise floor as a running compressor in a fridge)

What you need to understand instead about PERC and Supermicro over a total DIY Norco or ATX super-tower is that the off-lease servers were built for enterprise not home use. Redundant power supplies, 1u flex PSUs a lot of times which come with loud 60 or 80mm fans usually, redundant CPUs, little to no chipset usage, cards for as much as possible (lan, etc) so as not to rely on motherboard chipset in case of failure making repairs easier, etc, etc. The downside of all this redundancy and somewhat easier maintenance (lower downtime if you have spares lying around your IT dept already) is power consumption. Unfortunately improving redundancy and maintainability typically involves departing from power efficiency. Power efficiency in the world of DIY is improved by single reliable PSUs that are well matched to the 20% and 80% of their max rating, using more efficient chipset functions like USB, LAN, and integrated graphics rather than add on cards, running fans a little quieter at less agressive PWM or lower set levels since more time is spent idle and a media server doesn't usually see the type of disk IO as an enterprise server.

There are many reasons why off-lease enterprise servers will use more power. Maybe that matters and maybe not, but here is an example from a guy who's PERC was running over 300W idle **To all media storage server owners...power consumption**

My i7-3770k server with 10 HDDs, an SSD boot drive, and a BD-ROM uses about 60W idle with disks spun down and 90W without disk spindown. DIY can get you a lot better efficiency, whether or not all of our favorite forum members believe that a PERC can even use 380W idle
wiley165 and DotJun like this.
post #4054 of 4068 Old 12-16-2014, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
Got three more HDD in today.

I'm also looking for a deal on a 4/5/6 TB drive.

6TB preferred, but I'm trying to manage storage costs for a HTPC I am building for a friend @lemonslush . Anyone seen a good 6TB under $250? Or a 4 or 5 TB for a great price. Ideally I'd like to cram a 5 or 6 inside and another external.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4055 of 4068 Old 12-16-2014, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 47
6TB for $230 at Newegg 4-day promo code EMCWHWD39

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail...4380712&et_p1=
Mfusick likes this.
post #4056 of 4068 Old 12-16-2014, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Got three more HDD in today.

I'm also looking for a deal on a 4/5/6 TB drive.

6TB preferred, but I'm trying to manage storage costs for a HTPC I am building for a friend @lemonslush . Anyone seen a good 6TB under $250? Or a 4 or 5 TB for a great price. Ideally I'd like to cram a 5 or 6 inside and another external.
4TB for around $70 after a lot of rebates: http://slickdeals.net/f/7503404-480g...-free-shipping
post #4057 of 4068 Old 12-16-2014, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Rebates can suck it. Not interested in those, or signing up for additional cards, or services. I just want to pay, and have it sent to me. No extra fuss.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4058 of 4068 Old 12-16-2014, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Put an LSI HBA in my work computer. Is there any way to boot faster from this thing? It seems ridiculously slow.
post #4059 of 4068 Old 12-17-2014, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronnie View Post
Put an LSI HBA in my work computer. Is there any way to boot faster from this thing? It seems ridiculously slow.
Does it have a boot rom? You booting from it? Or from MOBO ports?

-

post #4060 of 4068 Old 12-17-2014, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Does it have a boot rom? You booting from it? Or from MOBO ports?
Yes, I'm booting from it. The SSDs are SAS so I have to.

At this point I probably won't be restarting much, so it isn't a big deal -- it's just annoyingly slow when I do.
post #4061 of 4068 Old 12-18-2014, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I've never booted from one, I flashed away the boot rom on mine. It's transparent HBA.
post #4062 of 4068 Old 12-22-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
OK - I am getting ready to build. Just zoomed through the first page.

Can someone point me to the post(s) with the latest and greatest build recommendation? (Maybe put a link or post number it in the first post?)

TIA
post #4063 of 4068 Old 12-22-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk36 View Post
OK - I am getting ready to build. Just zoomed through the first page.

Can someone point me to the post(s) with the latest and greatest build recommendation? (Maybe put a link or post number it in the first post?)

TIA
Everyone has different requirements so there really isn't a generic build. What are you going to do with it? Just serve up media files? Will you be running Media Browser or Plex server software from it and need transcoding power? What OS will you be running? How many HDDs do you need to support? Will this be in a server chassis with hot-swap bays or a desktop style case? Do you plan on running any add-on cards? Does it need graphics or will it be headless?
post #4064 of 4068 Old 12-22-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Everyone has different requirements so there really isn't a generic build. What are you going to do with it? Just serve up media files? Will you be running Media Browser or Plex server software from it and need transcoding power? What OS will you be running? How many HDDs do you need to support? Will this be in a server chassis with hot-swap bays or a desktop style case? Do you plan on running any add-on cards? Does it need graphics or will it be headless?
So I have Five 3TB Drives and an HP P410 Raid Controller. I need to transcode for Media Browser to various devices.

Probably going to do Windows 7 with Media Browser Server. However - was wondering if it would be better to build the drive array using another NAS type OS connected to the Server?
Ease of use/configuration?
post #4065 of 4068 Old 12-22-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk36 View Post
So I have Five 3TB Drives and an HP P410 Raid Controller. I need to transcode for Media Browser to various devices.

Probably going to do Windows 7 with Media Browser Server. However - was wondering if it would be better to build the drive array using another NAS type OS connected to the Server?
Ease of use/configuration?
I started out with Raid-F on WHS 2011 then switched to Win7 Pro. FlexRAID was exactly the same using either OS.
post #4066 of 4068 Old Today, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information ...

Can someone that's used snapraid and flexraid give me a quick rundown on the pros and cons vs each other?
post #4067 of 4068 Old Today, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Snap raid doesn't include pooling
Flex raid does
post #4068 of 4068 Old Today, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Can someone that's used snapraid and flexraid give me a quick rundown on the pros and cons vs each other?
This might help.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #4069 of 4068 Old Today, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Here is a basic comparison:
http://snapraid.sourceforge.net/compare.html

For me, the biggest is price and support. Snapraid is free, Flexraid is not. Snapraid support is via a forum, which is pretty good. Flexraid support - well, the creator has been known to vanish for a month at a shot without any word or support. I do not know if that has changed since he started wanting money.

Non-standard RAIDs can recover deleted files. Anyone who says RAID protection is only for failed drives is lying.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Flexraid , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asus , Asus Us , Asus Computer , Asus Components , Norco , Asus Computer International Direct , Flexraid Raid F , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Freeagent Theater 1080p Hd Media Player Stcea201 Rk , Hitachi , Dell , Windows 7 Vista Xp Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver , Hp Oem Window Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver For Windows7 Vista Xp Home Pr , Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desk
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com