Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 148 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #4411 of 4422 Old 03-26-2015, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
I would actually echo a lot of what you just said (although with a milder tone). However, I won't go near a 3TB Seagate. There is too much evidence that they are just not suitable for server use (nearly 50% annual failure rate according to BackBlaze). The WD Blacks are greatly overpriced and the Greens offer nothing significant over a Seagate that is 40% faster. WD Reds have no better failure rate than consumer drives in Home Server use. I would suspect the Seagate NAS drives are the same.

Right now I am adding 3TB Toshiba drives in my server. Once the 4-6TB drives have been used long enough to get a reputation I will re-investigate then.
I do get a little nuts with the HDD reliability thing. To me it's a commodity, something you need, use, and throw out. I've never seen any evidence that supports anything other than crap luck matters the most with reliability, and generally speaking even crappy hard drives are reliable. So the real small differences between one and another on a big scale, don't even realistically transfer down to the end user. But saving $20+ a unit when you need to buy many- Heck yeah. That is noticed and felt and appreciated. The cool thing- when I do replace a drive it's usually with a cheaper one, or bigger one anyways because the tech advances pretty quick. So that cash I saved the first round, goes even farther in the second round.

That's just how I roll. I would change my ways if I got burned really bad, but so far it seems to work. I buy and own just about every brand of HDD too. Price mostly dictates what I buy.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 4422 Old 03-26-2015, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
That's exactly what I do. Pool the data drives only and leave the parity drives alone. I also do drive mapping of all the drives on my os drive which itself is in a raid 1 configuration for speed + pretty much zero downtime in the event of failure.
Can you elaborate? Do you use FlexRAID? I'm still deciding on my final product for my server and so far software configuration is pretty confusing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but "pooling" doesn't remove the individual drives from "This PC" under "devices and drives" it just creates another drive under "devices and drives" where all the pooled drives are in one virtual drive?

This is so much different than hardware RAID and thus confusing. I would like a product that replicates hardware RAID but isn't hardware RAID... I know that is a lot to ask for. I just don't want to waist all my time managing the media would just prefer to swap out a dead drive every now and then.

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (MB3), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
post #4413 of 4422 Old 03-26-2015, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Pooling in FLEXRAID F does indeed remove the drives. They disappear and only the pool shows up after you install and configure flexriad-f.

You can access the individual drives via the control panel, or navigate or inspect what is on specific drives. You can also remove a drive from the pool and make it independent again. But the drives are otherwise removed from "windows" if that is what you are thinking.
jhughy2010 likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4414 of 4422 Old 03-26-2015, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Finally got my IBM M1015 flashed and installed last night using Mfusick's instructions on page 140. Only thing I did different was to get the latest LSI 2118it.bin (P20) from LSI and replaced the one that came prepackaged which is a couple years old. I was unable to flash it with my AsRock Z87 Extreme4 so had to go to a friends house and use one of his older, non-uefi PC's to flash the card. Works great and I really like how the mini-SAS breakout cables cleaned up my bay!

Once I get a little more time I'll play around with fRaids Validate and Verify feature to see if I can get my problems sorted out. If not, SnapRaid here I come!

If I migrate to SnapRaid, is there any difference in overhead or function between FlexRaid or Drivepool? I already own fRaid so I can use that just for drive pooling. If there would be an advantage to DrivePool, I don't mind purchasing it.

Thanks, habe
post #4415 of 4422 Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I posted on page 72 on how to go through he flash process on a newer mobo with UEFI.

This thread has taken on some serious life of it's own.

post #4416 of 4422 Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Ok my BR#2 drive is indeed DOA. Won't show in my desktop hot swap either. So I do indeed have a busted Seapuppy. On the good news all my drives showed back up too. Looks like I am back on track- odd though how it was behaving.

-

post #4417 of 4422 Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley165 View Post
I posted on page 72 on how to go through he flash process on a newer mobo with UEFI.

This thread has taken on some serious life of it's own.
It would be nice if both sets of instructions could be stickied in this forum area since the use of these boards is so common or, if Mfusick could edit the first page and link to both sets of instructions???? Page 70 is pretty far back from 148 and although I've followed this thread daily, I didn't remember that post. Bummer!

habe
post #4418 of 4422 Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sure I can edit the first post- just link me up or quote what you want me to add to it-

-

post #4419 of 4422 Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The only bad thing, is that my path was through trial and error, and I didn't make it through cleanly. On top of that, it's been over a year since I did the flash. I'm not sure what the 'clean' steps would be right now.

Maybe perhaps add a link to my post on Page 72 with something to reference UEFI boards.

post #4420 of 4422 Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Sure I can edit the first post- just link me up or quote what you want me to add to it-
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley165 View Post
The only bad thing, is that my path was through trial and error, and I didn't make it through cleanly. On top of that, it's been over a year since I did the flash. I'm not sure what the 'clean' steps would be right now.

Maybe perhaps add a link to my post on Page 72 with something to reference UEFI boards.
Cool!

Your non-UEFI instructions are on page 140 and Wileys on page 72.

If you want to add it, here is the link to LSI's website where you can get the latest P20 firmware. http://www.lsi.com/products/host-bus...s-9211-8i.aspx. The current package is - "9211_8i_Package_P20_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS _Windows". Also, all of the UEFI stuff is on there too.

I used your instructions from page 140 except replaced the 2118it.bin that came with the SAS2008 package (the firmware included in the SAS2008 link is P16, from 2012) with the latest 2118it.bin firmware (P20) from LSi's website (worked fine).

Should save people time from having to search how-to-flash instructions in the future.

Thanks,

habe
post #4421 of 4422 Old Today, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Flexraid doesn't work like this though right? It pools the drives and does parity too?
No, this is exactly how FlexRAID works also. The difference is that SnapRAID does only parity (and fake read-only pools but that's another topic altogether), vs. FlexRAID that does both in one software package and has one configuration option that does both behind the scenes. But it's just an illusion, it's still vitally important that all users understand that pooling and parity are vastly different and wholly unrelated to each-other, regardless of whether you use FlexRAID, SnapRAID, disParity, DrivePool, whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Pooling in FLEXRAID F does indeed remove the drives. They disappear and only the pool shows up after you install and configure flexriad-f.
This is true only if you use Cruise Control mode. I always argue that Expert mode is the "correct" mode, and in that instance the configuration is far more similar to SnapRAID. It does not take over control of your drives, it does not change any hardware configurations, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habe View Post
Finally got my IBM M1015 flashed and installed last night using Mfusick's instructions on page 140. Only thing I did different was to get the latest LSI 2118it.bin (P20) from LSI and replaced the one that came prepackaged which is a couple years old. I was unable to flash it with my AsRock Z87 Extreme4 so had to go to a friends house and use one of his older, non-uefi PC's to flash the card. Works great and I really like how the mini-SAS breakout cables cleaned up my bay!
I highly recommend using only P19 or older. P20 has been known to cause multiple issues and is difficult to downgrade from. Maybe it'll be fixed if they do a P21.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habe View Post
If I migrate to SnapRaid, is there any difference in overhead or function between FlexRaid or Drivepool? I already own fRaid so I can use that just for drive pooling. If there would be an advantage to DrivePool, I don't mind purchasing it.
I own both DrivePool and FlexRAID. I currently use FlexRAID for pooling but I have not yet even tested DrivePool. Both have free trial periods, so you can give them both a shot. I will say that FlexRAID pools have some issues with software that doesn't follow proper "etiquette" for opening and writing to files. FlexRAID is very strict in not allowing "proper" usage. I don't know if DrivePool is the same. For the time being, I'm sticking with FlexRAID pooling specifically for the virtual Recycle Bin. DrivePool is a much more "powerful" pooling solution aside from the lack of a virtual Recycle Bin, but I don't know that it's any faster.
post #4422 of 4422 Old Today, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaraxkad View Post
I highly recommend using only P19 or older. P20 has been known to cause multiple issues and is difficult to downgrade from. Maybe it'll be fixed if they do a P21.
Read your reply and I googled up issues with the P20 firmware and sure enough......Great!! Just my luck that I didn't know about this before I flashed mine with P20. I saw where others said they were able to downgrade back to P19 so I'll give it a go when I have time.

Thanks for the info.

habe
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Flexraid , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asus , Asus Us , Asus Computer , Asus Components , Norco , Asus Computer International Direct , Flexraid Raid F , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Freeagent Theater 1080p Hd Media Player Stcea201 Rk , Hitachi , Dell , Windows 7 Vista Xp Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver , Hp Oem Window Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver For Windows7 Vista Xp Home Pr , Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desk
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page