Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 144Likes

post #4591 of 4731 Old 04-08-2016, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post
http://www.avagotech.com/products/se...1-8i#downloads

Driver for Windows7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

I think I'm using p19 because there were problems with p20. I can't remember.
Correct. DO NOT USE P20...IIRC there are some serious read/write performance issues. P19 FTW...

My Gear...
| Display: Samsung UN85HU8550 (85" 4K) TV w/ SEK-3500U
| Speakers: Revel F208s, C208, and M106s (11x Channels) | Subs: SVS PB-13 Ultra (x4)
| Amps: Parasound Halo A21, A51, and A23 (x2) | Preamp: Marantz AV8801
| Sources: HTPC, Dish Hopper, PS3, PS4, XB1, and Oppo BDP-93
| Power: PS Audio Power Plant Premier (x2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 4731 Old 04-08-2016, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post
Received the LSI 9211-8i today, but facing some issues booting into Windows. The card and the drives installed in it are all detected, but it seems to get stuck on the following screen and doesn't move forward to boot into Windows. What do I do?

Also, I tried disabling the boot support in the card's BIOS, but that disables the whole card and still gets stuck in a similar screen. Help please...

My system specs are as follows:

i7 920
Gigabyte EX-58-UD4P
12GB RAM
GTX 760
850 Pro OS drive running in AHCI mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Try a different PCI-E slot. Some motherboards will do this if you put an HBA into a slot that's intended for a graphics card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Also might want to double check the boot order in your motherboard BIOS and make sure it isn't trying to boot from a data drive.
To build off of this issue and the remedies that were posted following the above (quoted), you may see the system hang when installing Windows and using this card and having tons of drives attached during a Windows (on both 8.X and 10) install attempt. The system may hang at the Windows Logo and you will see your drives get sensed/scanned...the system will just continue to scan and sense the drives like its in an infinite searching loop. I ran into this with my new workstation build using 15x 3TB drives in conjunction with a Chenbro SAS Expander and Supermicro Hot-Swap cages. I had to yank the card, then install Windows 10 onto my main SSD. Once I had Windows up and running, I shutdown the system then installed the card with the drives. The system would boot normally and I could login to Windows. Next step obviously Disk Manager. I created two pools using Storage Spaces, then tuned them with Power Shell etc whichever storage route you take naturally. The point here is that Windows 10 (and on 8.1X too) seemed like it got ultra confused and overwhelmed during install with that many drives being present. Hope this helps people that may be running into the same issue. As others have stated, you probably want to insert this card into a non primary PCI-E slot, and set boot options appropriately.

My Gear...
| Display: Samsung UN85HU8550 (85" 4K) TV w/ SEK-3500U
| Speakers: Revel F208s, C208, and M106s (11x Channels) | Subs: SVS PB-13 Ultra (x4)
| Amps: Parasound Halo A21, A51, and A23 (x2) | Preamp: Marantz AV8801
| Sources: HTPC, Dish Hopper, PS3, PS4, XB1, and Oppo BDP-93
| Power: PS Audio Power Plant Premier (x2)

Last edited by ABSiNTH; 04-08-2016 at 08:55 PM.
post #4593 of 4731 Old 05-09-2016, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Anyone using Windows 10 + Storage Spaces for their HTPC? It looks simple and robust to this novice. And it allows easy storage growth, by adding disks of any size, unlike a desktop NAS which might not take advantage of larger, mis-matched disks.

I've read about two possible weaknesses. In 2012 on Windows 8, people reported that WMC couldn't play DVD ISOs from Storage Spaces. No idea if that's applicable with PowerDVD and Win10. And I've read that all disks are involved for any given file access, which implies greater energy usage, heat, and house.

post #4594 of 4731 Old 05-11-2016, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
Anyone using Windows 10 + Storage Spaces for their HTPC?
Simply put... stay away! One reason, and that is all that's needed in this case, individual drives cannot be read if anything should happen to the storage array. And, yes, there are more issues than that as well.
post #4595 of 4731 Old 05-11-2016, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2698
Yeah I think whatever I do one of the main things I want is to keep the drives readable in any system- that way for upgrades and hardware failures you can reuse your data drives without much fuss. Otherwise- the cost to make the data secure and reliable becomes too much IMO for what normal people should spend to store movies.
post #4596 of 4731 Old 05-11-2016, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video321 View Post
Simply put... stay away! One reason, and that is all that's needed in this case, individual drives cannot be read if anything should happen to the storage array. And, yes, there are more issues than that as well.
I'm ignorant on NAS and RAID systems. What software (e.g. FlexRaid) or NAS (e.g. Synology box) are recommended?

I was hopeful for the Windows approach since it's easy-peasy, free, and flexible. And all I anticipate storing are blu-rays (re-rippable) and TiVo shows (can always re-record). Nuisances if lost, but nothing important like personal photos.
post #4597 of 4731 Old 05-12-2016, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I'm ignorant on NAS and RAID systems. What software (e.g. FlexRaid) or NAS (e.g. Synology box) are recommended?

I was hopeful for the Windows approach since it's easy-peasy, free, and flexible. And all I anticipate storing are blu-rays (re-rippable) and TiVo shows (can always re-record). Nuisances if lost, but nothing important like personal photos.
If I were going to do it over again I'd run Unraid. Not windows, but looks user friendly and easy to setup. If you get into running Dockers or things like that, it can get more complicated, but for a basic use case it looks easy to get going.
post #4598 of 4731 Old 05-12-2016, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:

I'm using Snapraid, Emby and Junction folders for pooling. All of it is free and easy to use.

DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
post #4599 of 4731 Old 05-12-2016, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

If you can buy a premade NAS box and only need storage that's a simple enough solution.

A full blown server can do more things.

It's all about what you want/need.

I'm like 100TB now and I haven't seen many NAS that do that. Lol.
post #4600 of 4731 Old 05-12-2016, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
If you can buy a premade NAS box and only need storage that's a simple enough solution.

A full blown server can do more things.

It's all about what you want/need.

I'm like 100TB now and I haven't seen many NAS that do that. Lol.
Many NAS boxes can do 100TB. It's just you literally need many NAS boxes.
politby likes this.

post #4601 of 4731 Old 05-12-2016, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

I've got the equivalent of about 8TB of DVDs and blu-rayus, if they were all ripped as ISOs. I could build an HTPC with two 4TB drives and be in good shape for a while. So I think I want a PC that will start with a ~4TB drive, to dip my toes into the HTPC waters. But I want flexibility to upgrade to 10TB+, if this goes well. If I go there, I don't want to backup the media, but I want resiliency against single drive failures when I've got all my discs ripped. So a three 4TB drive RAID 5 seems reasonable as a second step, if the HTPC experiment works.

Perhaps I should just buy a NAS box and be done. I like the simplicity. I don't like the $300+ minimum price for the box. And I don't like that they can't expand to greater size with mis-matched drives.

I thought Windows Storage Spaces would be perfect, since it's Windows and presumably more future proof and future supported than a third-party packages. (Plus it seems easy to use). But, on the advice of counsel...FlexRaid looks good. SnapRaid is new to me, but it appears to run within Windows, so that's an option.

So here's another 'computers for dummies' question A typical motherboard has 6 SATA ports. If I build a PC and it has a SSD (boot drive) and an optical drive, it can have only four more drives, right?
post #4602 of 4731 Old 05-12-2016, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
I've got the equivalent of about 8TB of DVDs and blu-rayus, if they were all ripped as ISOs. I could build an HTPC with two 4TB drives and be in good shape for a while. So I think I want a PC that will start with a ~4TB drive, to dip my toes into the HTPC waters. But I want flexibility to upgrade to 10TB+, if this goes well. If I go there, I don't want to backup the media, but I want resiliency against single drive failures when I've got all my discs ripped. So a three 4TB drive RAID 5 seems reasonable as a second step, if the HTPC experiment works.

Perhaps I should just buy a NAS box and be done. I like the simplicity. I don't like the $300+ minimum price for the box. And I don't like that they can't expand to greater size with mis-matched drives.

I thought Windows Storage Spaces would be perfect, since it's Windows and presumably more future proof and future supported than a third-party packages. (Plus it seems easy to use). But, on the advice of counsel...FlexRaid looks good. SnapRaid is new to me, but it appears to run within Windows, so that's an option.

So here's another 'computers for dummies' question A typical motherboard has 6 SATA ports. If I build a PC and it has a SSD (boot drive) and an optical drive, it can have only four more drives, right?
These links may be of help:

unRAID NAS Server

FlexRAID NAS Server / Windows Media Manager
ShoutingMan likes this.
post #4603 of 4731 Old 05-12-2016, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 390
You can buy a sata controller like the IBM M1015. That will give you eight ports. If you need more you can add a expander to the IBM M1015.
ShoutingMan likes this.
post #4604 of 4731 Old 05-13-2016, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I am planning on wiring an Ethernet home network and going from my current direct attached storage to network storage. Much of my current 7TB is movies but also data files and programs. I am currently using the direct attached storage for backup and use Windows 7 backup. If I go to network storage I may want to use computers with only a SSD and most storage in an equipment closet.

I am looking for:
1. General Advice including whether this is worth the expense
2. A recommendation for a rack mounted storage device
3. A recommendation for software

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
post #4605 of 4731 Old 05-13-2016, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1727 Post(s)
Liked: 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
I am looking for:
1. General Advice including whether this is worth the expense
2. A recommendation for a rack mounted storage device
3. A recommendation for software
If you only need 7TB network storage it isn't worth it. Just get something like this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._personal.html
post #4606 of 4731 Old 05-13-2016, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post
You can buy a sata controller like the IBM M1015. That will give you eight ports. If you need more you can add a expander to the IBM M1015.
Or 4 of them if you need 32 more ports
politby likes this.
post #4607 of 4731 Old 05-13-2016, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You can all in one machine in your situation I think.

Many motherboards have enough sata ports (choose wisely) and with today's common sized hardrive 4TB+ you'll have plenty of storage. If you want more drives than about (8) I'd look at a server style chassis with hot swap bays. You can add as mentioned above for about $100-$125 (8) more sata ports with an 8x speed pci express card. Just make sure your motherboard will support multiple x8 slots of you think you want to expand.

Most motherboards that at server or workstation oriented should, as should most gaming ones, or anything designed to take multiple video cards. If you wan a video card and 2 or 3 more expander cards is really the only time you'd have to pay attention close to this. One card is standard easy peasy on all Mobo I think, as almost all of them have at least one slot.

You can run a free storage pooling software or a paid one. Your choice. Many offer back up and drive recovery options too. I think if you want to do a HTPC too it would make sense to do an all in one solution. I assume you'll have a rack for your new theater ? Just get a 4u chassis and rack mount it on the bottom. (Or anywhere if AV closet has venting).

How's theater project coming ? If you were closer I'd come help.
ShoutingMan likes this.
post #4608 of 4731 Old 05-13-2016, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
I am planning on wiring an Ethernet home network and going from my current direct attached storage to network storage. Much of my current 7TB is movies but also data files and programs. I am currently using the direct attached storage for backup and use Windows 7 backup. If I go to network storage I may want to use computers with only a SSD and most storage in an equipment closet.
> 1. General Advice including whether this is worth the expense
That's fairly subjective, since budgets are all over the map here. Centralized, networked storage is a huge convenience. Being able to throw just a smallish SSD in every computer and not worry about the tradeoff is also nice bonus.

> 2. A recommendation for a rack mounted storage device
http://www.amazon.com/Synology-Stati.../dp/B00VYFUVIG

> 3. A recommendation for software
There are a couple general categories:
a) Get an full-service NAS appliance, like the Synology linked above. This is the easiest, with the most features and tightest integration.
b) Bring your own hardware and install a NAS OS, like FreeNAS/Unraid/etc. Good option if you already have an fairly new existing server (or parts) to dedicate to storage.
c) Use Windows Storage Spaces or linux LVM. Good if you need to use the server as a general-use desktop PC or HTPC as well.
d) Third-party apps like Flexraid. Works if nothing else is an option.

You may want to start a new thread for your specific case. How much storage were you using a year ago? How much storage will you need a year from now? What's your budget? Is that a hard cap or a soft cap? Can you spend the budget upfront, or are you planning incremental additions. Are you looking for a project to spend your time tinkering with, or do you just want the end result? Is rackmounting a wish or a need? Does a device just sitting on a rack shelf meet that need?
Postmoderndesign likes this.

Last edited by EricN; 05-13-2016 at 07:54 AM.
post #4609 of 4731 Old 05-13-2016, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

I think it's easier for HTPC when the storage is local too. You'll find faster performance - especially when your HTPC can search or scan multiple hardrive simultaneously versus over LAN. This wasn't a great option years ago for guys that wants big storage because with 2TB sized drives you'd run out of storage fast and needed too many hard drives. Today you can get drives 2x and 3x the size as standard offerings so you literaly need about 1/3 the amount of hard drives. Also- the compression schemes have improved so files can be smaller and still of very high quality. An all in one solution is a good stepping stone for a beginner to start with - It kills two birds with one stone (one cost)

Yes I like my tripple system of a workstation, HTPC and server - all with higher end parts - but it's literally 3x the cost and trouble to build and it took a bit of effort to get it all working perfect.
Postmoderndesign likes this.
post #4610 of 4731 Old 05-13-2016, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would not have thought about starting a new thread tailored to those who are installing a cat5,5e,6, or 6a home network specifically for home media. This would be a thread for those who have little or no experience with network attached storage and are beginning to think about all the applications the network could have. The thread would cover planning, installation, equipment, and software for storage and use of shared programs and data.

I think you and Mfusick with your knowledge and experience would be better thread starters and could compose a better thread title.

post #4611 of 4731 Old 05-13-2016, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
You can all in one machine in your situation I think.

How's theater project coming ? If you were closer I'd come help.
I decided to work with Encore CAV, the local firm. Theater gets kicked off next week, with our first "official" meeting.

I'm working on figuring out if I want to build an HTPC, so I can set the baseline gadgets I'm providing for the electronics rack.
post #4612 of 4731 Old 05-13-2016, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Are any particular drives recommended these days?

When I upgraded my Tivo Roamio, the WD Red NAS line was specifically advised, so I went with that. They're a little more expensive than other similar non-NAS drives. For an HTPC do you buy the cheapest available, or buy a "NAS" quality drive?

I realized this price difference was real, when I saw that the 8TB WD MyCloud external drive linked earlier is cheaper than the WD Red 8TB internal drive!
post #4613 of 4731 Old 05-13-2016, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1727 Post(s)
Liked: 1560
Quote:
I realized this price difference was real, when I saw that the 8TB WD MyCloud external drive linked earlier is cheaper than the WD Red 8TB internal drive!
That 8TB My Cloud isn't just an external drive, it's a complete self contained NAS. Just plug it in and go. I'm running my DVR recording software on a cheap 2TB My Cloud. No PC required.
post #4614 of 4731 Old 05-13-2016, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Are any particular drives recommended these days?

When I upgraded my Tivo Roamio, the WD Red NAS line was specifically advised, so I went with that. They're a little more expensive than other similar non-NAS drives. For an HTPC do you buy the cheapest available, or buy a "NAS" quality drive?

I run a combo of WD reds and seagate archive 8tb. Been running for some time now without any problems.
ShoutingMan likes this.
post #4615 of 4731 Old 05-15-2016, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN View Post
> 1. General Advice including whether this is worth the expense
That's fairly subjective, since budgets are all over the map here. Centralized, networked storage is a huge convenience. Being able to throw just a smallish SSD in every computer and not worry about the tradeoff is also nice bonus.

> 2. A recommendation for a rack mounted storage device
http://www.amazon.com/Synology-Stati.../dp/B00VYFUVIG

> 3. A recommendation for software
There are a couple general categories:
a) Get an full-service NAS appliance, like the Synology linked above. This is the easiest, with the most features and tightest integration.
b) Bring your own hardware and install a NAS OS, like FreeNAS/Unraid/etc. Good option if you already have an fairly new existing server (or parts) to dedicate to storage.
c) Use Windows Storage Spaces or linux LVM. Good if you need to use the server as a general-use desktop PC or HTPC as well.
d) Third-party apps like Flexraid. Works if nothing else is an option.

You may want to start a new thread for your specific case. How much storage were you using a year ago? How much storage will you need a year from now? What's your budget? Is that a hard cap or a soft cap? Can you spend the budget upfront, or are you planning incremental additions. Are you looking for a project to spend your time tinkering with, or do you just want the end result? Is rackmounting a wish or a need? Does a device just sitting on a rack shelf meet that need?
I am just beginning to followup on this advice and looking into the Synology RS815 which has led me to begin to examine their other RS NAS. They have quite a few tutorials and they seem to have an extensive and integrated system.

However, while I don't yet have a UHD display or UHD disc player yet Synology's software seems to be limited to 1080p at this point. And since I use 7MC for recording live TV, I am not sure Synology's software can work with 7MC file formats.

At the moment I am remodeling the house and have 2" conduit and RG6 and Cat6a waiting for installation soon while I wait for Google fiber sign up. So, I will probably continue on Uverse and and a free standing computer and display this year. I am just trying to understand the capability of a NAS and what equipment will work for me.

post #4616 of 4731 Old 05-15-2016, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
I run a combo of WD reds and seagate archive 8tb. Been running for some time now without any problems.
Wow. The 8TB drive is really cheap! What's the catch; what's the limitations for "archive use only"?
post #4617 of 4731 Old 05-15-2016, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Wow. The 8TB drive is really cheap! What's the catch; what's the limitations for "archive use only"?
SMR recording technology. (i.e. poor write performance if you have to overwrite large chunks of data)

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #4618 of 4731 Old 05-15-2016, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is this the best spot on the net to ask about flex raid? I built a system awhile back it looks like a drive is on its way out according to smart. I ran a verify and got back a bunch of errors, looks like I am using snapshot raid with cruisecontrol (I think I used the OP's guide awhile back).

Anyways, I was so used to WHS that I got lazy with flex raid. Most of the drives show up in smart as still good and I have a new drive here. Whenever I try to run verify now it aborts it.

just tyring to figure out where to start and go.
post #4619 of 4731 Old 05-15-2016, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
SMR recording technology. (i.e. poor write performance if you have to overwrite large chunks of data)
Thanks. That sounds pretty well suited for an HTPC. One Seagate Archive 8TB drive will hold my entire collection to start, and it's about the same price as a WD Red 5TB (or a WD Blue 6TB). So I'll start with one of those, unless there's some reason go with a smaller WD Red or Blue to start.
post #4620 of 4731 Old 05-15-2016, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Here's a catch: un-recommended for NAS. I'm buying with a view towards eventual raid use, so I'll probably a WD Blue to save some money.

“With the attractively low price per TB that the Seagate Archive 8TB HDD has, it can be difficult to not consider purchasing a set for NAS storage. StorageReview strongly recommends against such usage, as at this time SMR drives are not designed to cope with sustained write behavior. Many contend that NAS shares tend to be very read-focused during normal operation. While that's true, the exception is when a drive fails and a RAID rebuild has to occur. In this case the results clearly show that this implementation of SMR is not a good fit for RAID.

At this time Seagate recommends single drive deployments, be it consumer or enterprise. ”

http://www.storagereview.com/seagate...hdd_review_8tb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Flexraid , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asus , Asus Us , Asus Computer , Asus Components , Norco , Asus Computer International Direct , Flexraid Raid F , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Freeagent Theater 1080p Hd Media Player Stcea201 Rk , Hitachi , Dell , Windows 7 Vista Xp Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver , Hp Oem Window Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver For Windows7 Vista Xp Home Pr , Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page