Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 157 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 139Likes
post #4681 of 4709 Old 07-06-2016, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Thanks. I contacted StabileBits support with the question and they confirmed that it must be kept running. I'm surprised it can't minimize to hidden into the "hidden icons" section of Windows task bar. It's a bit clunky to have always taking up task bar space.

EDIT: The above is incorrect. New information in following post.

Last edited by ShoutingMan; 07-06-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 4709 Old 07-06-2016, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 85
That can't be right, I never have it open (in the task bar or otherwise), and I just checked and it's been running the automatic scrubs just fine
post #4683 of 4709 Old 07-06-2016, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
Thanks. I contacted StabileBits support with the question and they confirmed that it must be kept running. I'm surprised it can't minimize to hidden into the "hidden icons" section of Windows task bar. It's a bit clunky to have always taking up task bar space.
I thought you meant you wanted to turn it off. I don't see mine up and running, but it is.

post #4684 of 4709 Old 07-06-2016, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

I misspoke. I must have gotten confused between various support inquiries. Regarding Scanner, tech support explained:

Quote:
All of our software runs as a background service. This means that it's started as soon as the system boots up, and never needs a user to be logged in.

All the UI does is connect to this background service, allowing you to access it's information or make configuration changes. So you definitely don't need it open. Close the UI, and the software is still running in the background, doing it's thing.
post #4685 of 4709 Old 07-10-2016, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Is there a way to hide the three individual hard drives (my two media and one parity), leaving only the pooled drive visible? That would help protect me from myself.
post #4686 of 4709 Old 07-10-2016, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Is there a way to hide the three individual hard drives (my two media and one parity), leaving only the pooled drive visible? That would help protect me from myself.

Go into Windows Disk Management and remove the drive letters from the individual drives. That way you'll only see the pooled drive in explorer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to return some video tapes....
post #4687 of 4709 Old 07-10-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I map them to a folder instead of a drive letter.

post #4688 of 4709 Old 07-10-2016, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Hmmm... could you set the attribute fir those folders to hidden?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to return some video tapes....
post #4689 of 4709 Old 07-11-2016, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'll have to google that. I don't know anything about that level of Windows drive management.

If I do it now, will I have to re-do my DrivePool and SnapRAID setups?

EDIT:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/show-h...ive-in-windows
A couple of ways to do this, including removing the drive letter completely or perhaps changing it to a folder. I'm anxious to try these, with a month of ripping 6TB of discs onto the system. Suggestions?

Last edited by ShoutingMan; 07-11-2016 at 04:11 PM.
post #4690 of 4709 Old 07-17-2016, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

Hide them from what view in what app?
post #4691 of 4709 Old 07-21-2016, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
I was getting low on disk space in my FlexRAID-F pool so I deleted a bunch of files this morning. I didn't calculate the size of the files but it should have been somewhere around 2TB or more. I ran update and when it finished (about 6 hours later) I checked my pool drive and I didn't get any of the disk space back. I tried rebooting, then tried running update twice more but I still don't see any increase in free space on the pool drive. Does anyone have any idea how to get the free space back?
post #4692 of 4709 Old 07-21-2016, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I was getting low on disk space in my FlexRAID-F pool so I deleted a bunch of files this morning. I didn't calculate the size of the files but it should have been somewhere around 2TB or more. I ran update and when it finished (about 6 hours later) I checked my pool drive and I didn't get any of the disk space back. I tried rebooting, then tried running update twice more but I still don't see any increase in free space on the pool drive. Does anyone have any idea how to get the free space back?

Empty the recycle bin?
post #4693 of 4709 Old 07-22-2016, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Empty the recycle bin?
I emptied the recycle bin before running Update.

I upgraded to the latest version of FlexRAID about a month ago. Everything seemed to be working normally until now, but it is possible it hasn't been freeing up deleted file space ever since then.

I just looked at my configuration and I think I might have spotted a conflict. "Enable recycle bin mode" is set to true, but my recycle bin is listed in the exclusions section. I removed the recycle bin entries from exclusions and ran Update again. When there are no file changes the Update task takes less than a minute to complete. It has been running for about an hour now and it seems to be reading my entire library. Hopefully it isn't deleting everything.
post #4694 of 4709 Old 07-22-2016, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

That's one thing I hated about FlexRAID. You never know what it is doing and you just assume it's been working correctly. I just stopped trusting it and moved on to other solutions.
DotJun likes this.

post #4695 of 4709 Old 07-22-2016, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It has been running for about an hour now and it seems to be reading my entire library. Hopefully it isn't deleting everything.
Update completed successfully after about 8 hours. Still didn't get my disk space back. At least it didn't delete my library.

I guess the next step is stop the pool and assign drive letters to the 10 data drives and check them individually.
post #4696 of 4709 Old 07-22-2016, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Update completed successfully after about 8 hours. Still didn't get my disk space back. At least it didn't delete my library.

I guess the next step is stop the pool and assign drive letters to the 10 data drives and check them individually.
You should be able to go into Disk Management and right click each drive and hit Explore.

post #4697 of 4709 Old 07-23-2016, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not very familiar with flexraid, but what could it be doing for eight hours during that period?

Maybe check the flexraid forum to see if there are other hidden files associated with flexraid? As in, it had a hiccup in the past and you now have multiple hidden parity files or some such?
post #4698 of 4709 Old 07-23-2016, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
I'm not very familiar with flexraid, but what could it be doing for eight hours during that period?
I think when I changed the exclusion settings FlexRAID decided it needed to check every file in the pool. Normally an update will only sync parity for new, changed or deleted files.
post #4699 of 4709 Old 07-23-2016, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You should be able to go into Disk Management and right click each drive and hit Explore.
I thought you were talking about the drive manager in FlexRAID but now I see you meant Windows Disk Management. I tried doing that in FlexRAID but right-click wouldn't let me explore. I could highlight a drive and click the "view drive contents button" at the top, and in doing that I found deleted files in the recycle bin folder on each of my data drives. I just couldn't do anything about it inside of FlexRAID. I stopped the pool and gave each drive a drive letter, then deleted the recycle bin folders for each drive. Two of the data drives had a corrupt recycle bin folder so maybe that was preventing FlexRAID from emptying the recycle bin for the pool drive during updates. I got back about 1.5TB disk space total.

I wanted to make some changes anyway so I deleted the configuration and started over. I have 10 data drives and 1 parity drive. The data drives are eight 4TB drives and two 2TB drives. When I first set up FlexRAID I just added all of the drives as individual DRUs. I decided I wanted to span the two 2TB drives into a single 4TB DRU so that's how I set it up this time. When I initialized it found parity data on the PPU but I wasn't sure if I could keep that or not with the spanned DRU, so I told it to delete the parity data and start over. It'll probably take a full day to calculate and write parity for everything but hopefully this will get everything working right again.
post #4700 of 4709 Old 07-23-2016, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I found a regedit hack to hide drives from view. I considered the Drive Management method of removing the drive letters, but I was wary since I didn't know if that would break SnapRAID -- if it actually removed the logical drive configuration or simply hid the drives.

But the regedit tweak hides the drives from view without disassociating the drive letters from them.
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/show-h...ent-2302583854
http://wisdombay.com/hidedrive/index.php
post #4701 of 4709 Old 07-24-2016, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It'll probably take a full day to calculate and write parity for everything but hopefully this will get everything working right again.
It finished at 7:30 this morning and everything seems to be working right again. I have 2TB free space now.
post #4702 of 4709 Old 08-02-2016, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Updated Windows 10 to the new big update. It gave an alert that it was disabling DrivePool, because it's not compatible and might be harmful to my PC.

Anyone know anything about this? I've submitted a help ticket to StabileBits.

In the meantime, proceed with caution updating Windows 10 if you're using StabileBits software.
post #4703 of 4709 Old 08-04-2016, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Update: StabileBits tells me their software is fully compatible and it's only because Win10 Anniversary Edition hasn't seen enough versions of their software to be comfortable with it. But if I want to, I can run the beta version which is specifically tested for the latest Win 10 update. They also offered to extend my trial edition if this is causing me evaluation problems.

I haven't had time to work on my HTPC since updating, so I'll know more this weekend.
post #4704 of 4709 Old 08-10-2016, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
It finished at 7:30 this morning and everything seems to be working right again. I have 2TB free space now.
I don't remember where I read it, but you should have a parity drive for every 4-5 data drives. Although it largely depends on the amount of security that you want/expect.

Last edited by Krispy Kritter; 08-10-2016 at 10:24 AM.
post #4705 of 4709 Old 08-10-2016, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
I don't remember where I read it, but you should have a parity drive for every 4-5 data drives. Although it largely depends on the amount of security that you want/expect.
http://www.snapraid.it/faq#howmanypar
ShoutingMan likes this.

DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
post #4706 of 4709 Old 08-10-2016, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
That is good advice. I'm aware of the risks and made a personal choice.
post #4707 of 4709 Unread 08-12-2016, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post
Thanks. I've got a 'basic' setup with 2+1 and anticipate adding a third data disc sooner than later. I was wondering when i should add more parity. This is more liberal than I was planning, which will save me some money in the short term.
post #4708 of 4709 Unread 08-12-2016, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Updated Windows 10 to the new big update. It gave an alert that it was disabling DrivePool, because it's not compatible and might be harmful to my PC.

Anyone know anything about this? I've submitted a help ticket to StabileBits.

In the meantime, proceed with caution updating Windows 10 if you're using StabileBits software.
Win10's warning seemed to have been a false alarm, as StabileBit support explained. I bought the DrivePool + Scanner combo, registered, and it was working fine in Windows 10.
post #4709 of 4709 Unread 08-12-2016, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Another reason for more parity discs is insurance against multiple drive failures. Basically, one parity drive will protect against a single drive failure. Two parity discs will provide protection for two simultaneous drive failures.

I'm running two parity discs and six data discs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Flexraid , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asus , Asus Us , Asus Computer , Asus Components , Norco , Asus Computer International Direct , Flexraid Raid F , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Freeagent Theater 1080p Hd Media Player Stcea201 Rk , Hitachi , Dell , Windows 7 Vista Xp Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver , Hp Oem Window Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver For Windows7 Vista Xp Home Pr , Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desk
Gear in this thread