Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 4481 Old 01-22-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by duff99 View Post

Looks like the right ones. There are forward and reverse breakout cables. You need the reverse breakout cables since you are effectively reversing the breakout by combining four SATA ports into one SAS cable. I unfortunately need the forward breakout cables to convert the SAS port on my card to hook up to four SATA ports on my Norco 4020. It's pretty confusing. They look identical, they aren't interchangeable though. If you use the wrong one it won't work. This has bitten many a server builder in the past. It's usually one of the first trouble shooting questions you see when people can't connect to their drives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816133033

I ended up buying this one....

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 4481 Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=ASR-REMOTE&c=FR&pid=8c5d624c54786e15ab8fc085205b5b751abd9888846b0506b6bf914cd972f784&gclid=CMXxl-nb_LQCFUid4AodWmMAwg

Anyone have experience with this ???

I have two Asrock Z77 motherboards.... thinking of this for my HTPC.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #483 of 4481 Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816133033

I ended up buying this one....

That's the right one.
post #484 of 4481 Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=ASR-REMOTE&c=FR&pid=8c5d624c54786e15ab8fc085205b5b751abd9888846b0506b6bf914cd972f784&gclid=CMXxl-nb_LQCFUid4AodWmMAwg

Anyone have experience with this ???

I have two Asrock Z77 motherboards.... thinking of this for my HTPC.

I've not used that before, but I do have two motherboards with the CIR header smile.gif

I probably won't be getting it unless I hear that it's a learning universal. From what I can see it would only turn your HTPC on from S5, but I need something that controls the TV power as well. HDMI CEC hasn't succeeded this way (for me) though I did get my TV/receiver to sync power on/off states. Supposedly your tv/receiver could detect when the htpc is powered on, but I'd call it a long shot at best. If the remote can learn IR commands for power/volume from another remote, then I'd be interested
post #485 of 4481 Old 01-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
http://www.simerec.com/

Here is an interesting and potentially better alternative.

Edit:

Anyone ever try this: http://dx.com/p/universal-ir-remote-controlled-ac-outlet-for-appliances-110v-13147
post #486 of 4481 Old 01-23-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I am thinking MODs should make this thread the "Official FlexRAID discussion" thread since there has been 17 pages of discussion already. What do you guys think?
post #487 of 4481 Old 01-23-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

There is actually a flexraid thread... somewhere. lol. It has just not been bumped in a while.

I was thinking of doing a full server guide... or basically just this thread but re-organized into shorter more organized with pictures.

I just finished up my new server tonight. Watching the HDD lights on the Norco go as we speak. I am typing this on the server since my HTPC and Deskop are without operating systems right now. I swapped back from dual SSD in RAID0 to a single SSD in my desktop... and stole my HTPC OS drive for my PC....

Long story... but basically both my PC need clean installs. Looking forward to doing it right- and setting a nice back up now that my server is going.

I am coping three streams of data right now... A HD folder... a non HD folder and a TV show folder. Each copy paste is about 3TB each. I am watching all three copy and paste functions blow by at 100MB/sec each at the same time. That's nice!!!

My old server never did that.

I'm happy.

I throw up some more pictures and tweaks later.

On side note- did you disable bandwidth throttling via the registry hack yet ? Or set packet size larger ??? it helps speeds over LAN

-

post #488 of 4481 Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is actually a flexraid thread... somewhere. lol. It has just not been bumped in a while.

I was thinking of doing a full server guide... or basically just this thread but re-organized into shorter more organized with pictures.

I just finished up my new server tonight. Watching the HDD lights on the Norco go as we speak. I am typing this on the server since my HTPC and Deskop are without operating systems right now. I swapped back from dual SSD in RAID0 to a single SSD in my desktop... and stole my HTPC OS drive for my PC....

Long story... but basically both my PC need clean installs. Looking forward to doing it right- and setting a nice back up now that my server is going.

I am coping three streams of data right now... A HD folder... a non HD folder and a TV show folder. Each copy paste is about 3TB each. I am watching all three copy and paste functions blow by at 100MB/sec each at the same time. That's nice!!!

My old server never did that.

I'm happy.

I throw up some more pictures and tweaks later.

On side note- did you disable bandwidth throttling via the registry hack yet ? Or set packet size larger ??? it helps speeds over LAN

Is this a FlexRAID server? And are each of those copies going at 100mB/s? Wow, really cool stuff. Some pics would be appreciated. What are the rest of the server's specs?

And it would be amazing if you could do a server guide thread.
Quote:

Was that tip for me?
post #489 of 4481 Old 01-24-2013, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

Is this a FlexRAID server? And are each of those copies going at 100mB/s? Wow, really cool stuff. Some pics would be appreciated. What are the rest of the server's specs?

Was that tip for me?

He would have to have a 3gbps network so I imagine he is going from old hard drives to new ones?
post #490 of 4481 Old 01-24-2013, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Was that tip for me?

Yes this is on my new server.

I dont mind posting a log of my experiences and learnings. As for a guide I'll leave that to the others.

I'd be happy help somone trying to do what I did but I doubt I wish to advise all.

-

post #491 of 4481 Old 01-24-2013, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

He would have to have a 3gbps network so I imagine he is going from old hard drives to new ones?
Right.

I am reorganizing stuff. TV shows on one drive, HD movies another, non HD movies another, Bluray rips another, other stuff another... Etc.

My categories are some larger than 3TB so it will span HDDs but I want it all in the same general area.

I had duplicate folders on multiple HDDs I'm consolidating.

-

post #492 of 4481 Old 01-24-2013, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Once all the HDDs are set... In going to reinitialize Flexraid.

-

post #493 of 4481 Old 01-24-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you get any special NICs or RAID cards for your new server?
post #494 of 4481 Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Of coarse

Both listed earlier in this thread

Intel NIC
IBM x8 card I flashed to be 8 SATA port hba

Both really good high performance and high value options

-

post #495 of 4481 Old 01-24-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Could you kindly to the exact parts?

How are you getting 3gbps in your network? Some sort of link aggregation?
post #496 of 4481 Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:

Some sort of link aggregation?

I've always wondered if anyone bothers with link aggregation for either teaming or failover

It seems like it would be easy to do, but I don't know if it's worth the effort
post #497 of 4481 Old 01-24-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I've always wondered if anyone bothers with link aggregation for either teaming or failover

It seems like it would be easy to do, but I don't know if it's worth the effort

I have never bothered with that. But I could. I have dual LAN on my desktop board. (only one intel though)

-

post #498 of 4481 Old 01-24-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You misunderstood. I am copying from one hdd to another... multiple streams at same time.

it's not over LAN.

It's over the sata card. But it's doing 3+ streams of copy paste (many TB's) sustained over 100MB sec each...

That's something I could not do with my cheaper SATA card.

I could do one. But when I started using 6 HDD's my bandwidth died.

This card does not seem to care... I like that.

I have 14 HDD's installed.

7 Seagate 3TB
1 WD green 3 TB
3 WD green 2TB
1 Hitachi 2TB
Samsung 750GB
Seagate 1TB

I am replacing the smaller ones with the larger ones- copying data from them. In the process I decided I wanted all my TV shows on one HDD, all my HD movies on another.. etc...

I will likely fill each 3TB drive as I have more than 3TB worth of each category- But I liked the idea of keeping it all together.

Quote:

There was links earlier in this thread. I used those links to purchase.

I got the IBM card from ebay. Link probably no good now... but the same items are available at the same prices so you can just look with a search.

I got the Intel NIC from NewEgg for $20 (had coupon)

I clicked the link ReneTHX gave me earlier in this thread and just bought it when I got the 15% off coupon in my email.

It's just a standard INTEL NIC... x1 slot card. They are pretty good and pretty affordable.

Cheap way to get better LAN if your not buying a high end serverboard with INTEL LAN already on it.

I quoted the original from this thread below with the link for you.

Here is the quote from Andy on the IBM card:
Here was Andy post about ebay... if you really wanted to see.

Bruce Added:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceD View Post

Below is a link to the re-flashing of the IBM M1015 card, thanks to user madburg at lime-technology's unraid forum:

I followed his instructions and used the bat files in the listed downloaded zip file "LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 Controller.zip - 5.32 MB (Windows)"

I used an older ASUS 8n-CM AMD based MB with a usb stick following the instructions in the zip file to flash mine successfully.

Flashing M1015

Lots of good info there for unraid and ESXi installs as well.

ReneTHX on the NIC INTEL:
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Those mb with Intel NIC tend to be expensive (the cheapest is ASUS P8Z77-V, $185, except for Intel's own mb that don't have enough SATA ports). Practically you'd better choose any mb you like. Add an Intel NIC PCI Express x1 card like this, $30, later if necessary.

NOTE: You can flash the IBM card. I did. There was multiple pages of me doing so with pictures. It was kinda easy looking back on it.

There was more info on both in this thread earlier but this should give you an idea and answer your questions.
amarshonarbangla likes this.

-

post #499 of 4481 Old 01-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have never bothered with that. But I could. I have dual LAN on my desktop board. (only one intel though)

Even in an enterprise environment. Links just don't fail very often. Just for background I manage over 3000 connections and I see maybe 1 link fail a month and that is normally someone abusing the cable.
post #500 of 4481 Old 01-24-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Mfusick for the links and taking the time to find the quotes.

One clarification about FlexRAID though. Remember how said to delete the Recycle Bin folders from each drive before adding them to FlexRAID? Well that apparently isn't the right way to disable Recycle Bin. Windows will just recreate the folder. I had some problems regarding FlexRAID not releasing deleted files space, so I posted a thread on the FlexRAID forum about it. The proper method to "disable" Recycle Bin is to right click on it, Properties, and choose "Don't move files to Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted." Do this for all the drives before adding them in FlexRAID. Do this for the FlexRAID pool too after you create it.
post #501 of 4481 Old 01-24-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yup. I do both.

-

post #502 of 4481 Old 01-25-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

So when are you going to post your build log thread ^_^
post #503 of 4481 Old 01-27-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

When I am finally done and I have all my info and pictures organized... I would like to retrace my steps from beginning to end.

There is so much I learned. I was very noob when I started.. and not saying I am not now... but I certainly have learned a bunch I would be happy to share and payback the AVS community.

I'm happy I choose the IBM for cheaper over the alternatives. I think it's better (with more compatability) and flashing was actually easy when I used the right motherboard.

My new server is

Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
G860 3.0ghz CPU
Gskill RipJaws 8GB DDR3 1600mhz
Rosewill 80+ gold 650 watt PSU (I am glad I passed on the overpriced seasonic because it's lack of sleeved cables would have been an issue on the NORCO4220 since the center cut out has sharp edges that could likely or easily cut into the cables and thu the plastic jacket. That's a disaster waiting to happen. I ruined a SATA cable in this manner pulling it through with little pressure. Just the right angle and it slices frown.gif )
IBM sata Card (flashed)
Norco 4220 20 hot swap case
No optical Drive (case has a slimline bay I might add one)
Vertex 3 120GB SSD

And so far I have 14 HDD's installed. I'm selling off anything under 2TB and I am selling my WD greens and replacing them with Seagates. I'm having issues with more than one drive (WD green) and after the RMA comes back I will sell the replacement on EBay. I don't trust them)

-

post #504 of 4481 Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

-

post #505 of 4481 Old 01-29-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Was that tip for me?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1419935/help-i-only-get-11mb-sec-transfer-speeds-to-and-from-my-whs2011-media-server-what-should-i-do/0_40

I did this long ago... link above to original thread when I was testing and optimizing my network. (first step is a gigabit switch)
Quote:

The first one we are going visit is bandwidth throttling. This was introduced in Vista and subsequently leaked over into Windows 7, continuing to cause many people grief. Open your registry editor by running regedit from the Start -> Search programs and files field. You should be an administrator of the system you are doing this on. We now want to browse to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

DisableBandwidthThrottlingOnce there, a new DWORD value needs to be created called DisableBandwidthThrottling. Create that value and double-click it to open it for editing. Change the Base radio button to Decimal then change the Value data entry to 1. Click OK to accept the new value.

Now, I recommend you go ahead and reboot at this point and once getting back to your Desktop, try streaming a file that has always been troublesome before. If you stream without choppiness, stutter or skipping, you’re problems are solved and you can end here. If you are still experiencing trouble, continue on and try the next registry change.

-

post #506 of 4481 Old 01-30-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=G540

$33.99 makes nice server CPU

-

post #507 of 4481 Old 02-02-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone know how to make this Norco 4220 quieter ??

The fans run full tilt and it's way overkill for my modest usage.

I can do the 7v trick ??

It's all IDE power- you just plug the fans in and they go full tilt.

They are loud fans.

I need to quiet this thing down. What is the process? Ideas?

I might just get a fan speed controller ?? Is there a good one that can have the controls on the back and install in a PCI slot ?? I have no front 5.25 bays....

-

post #508 of 4481 Old 02-02-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

You can buy a custom 120mm fan backplate for Norco. Buy that along with three Noctua fans and you are done smile.gif

EDIT
Here it is
http://www.ipcdirect.net/servlet/Detail?no=258
post #509 of 4481 Old 02-02-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks !!

I was thinking of just slowing them down. They run 100% but I am not sure I need that. It's a substantial amount of air moving through this thing...

-

post #510 of 4481 Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You can buy a custom 120mm fan backplate for Norco. Buy that along with three Noctua fans and you are done smile.gif

EDIT
Here it is
http://www.ipcdirect.net/servlet/Detail?no=258

Oh.. that is not the backplate. that is the internal fan plate. But yes... that looks perfect.

I will go to 120mm and slow the speed down. Probably run them off the mobo header and use the fan control...

I still need figure out the back ones though.. they are the loudest.

Perhaps just replace with quieter model and slow them down ???

Anyone have advice on that? Use fan controller ? Or 7v trick ?

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Flexraid , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asus , Asus Us , Asus Computer , Asus Components , Norco , Asus Computer International Direct , Flexraid Raid F , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Freeagent Theater 1080p Hd Media Player Stcea201 Rk , Hitachi , Dell , Windows 7 Vista Xp Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver , Hp Oem Window Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver For Windows7 Vista Xp Home Pr , Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desk
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page