Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 37 - AVS Forum
First ... 35  36  37 38  39  ... Last
Home Theater Computers > Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.!
itznfb's Avatar itznfb 01:51 PM 06-24-2013
Funny thing is that I see Jim post... but I can't see the content as I have him blocked... although I already know he is saying my information is wrong... though a 2 second Google search results in 10,000+ posts about issues with multiple M1015 in the same computer. Here is the first hit on Google: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/49392-asrock-z77-extreme4-not-recognizing-multiple-ibm-m1015-cross-flashed-lsi9211-8i.html
Followed by literally 10,000+ hits mentioning the same issues.

Good 'ol Jim... never using the simplest Google searches before verbally vomiting.

Andy_Steb's Avatar Andy_Steb 02:07 PM 06-24-2013
The link you just provided proves that 2 m1015s work.
itznfb's Avatar itznfb 02:10 PM 06-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

The link you just provided proves that 2 m1015s work.

Yeah it took the guy months to get it to work. With other people never being able to get it to work. Again that was just the 1st hit on Google. Just search multiple M1015 issues and you'll find loads of fun times.

As I said if it works for Mfusick then great. It's not the proper method though. Expanders exist for a reason.
amarshonarbangla's Avatar amarshonarbangla 02:13 PM 06-24-2013
I have seen people having issues mostly with ESXi. There are tons of people using multiple M1015s without any problems whatsoever with WHS, unRAID and even ZFS.

And yes, I personally feel that getting a single HBA with an expander is better than using multiple HBAs.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 02:23 PM 06-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

Funny thing is that I see Jim post... but I can't see the content as I have him blocked... although I already know he is saying my information is wrong...
Good 'ol Jim... never using the simplest Google searches before verbally vomiting.

I lol-ed.

I like Jim2100 but I can't say I always agree. He's knowledgeable many times- and I don't seem to mind his abrasive posting style. (Probably because I am pretty easy going and it's just an internet forum wink.gif )

Stuff like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2100 View Post

Wrong again.

Even if it's true^ sometimes starting your post with "wrong again" invites a battle. I would not go as far to block him; I actually like seeing him post (when it's not directed against me tongue.gif )

Note: Jim- I do like you biggrin.gif so please take no offense to this. I think you like to prove yourself right or debate more than I do though... eek.gif It feels good sometimes I know wink.gif
itznfb's Avatar itznfb 02:28 PM 06-24-2013
ninja edit... I won't go down that path.
jim2100's Avatar jim2100 03:10 PM 06-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Note: Jim- I do like you biggrin.gif so please take no offense to this. I think you like to prove yourself right or debate more than I do though... eek.gif It feels good sometimes I know wink.gif

No offense taken. I have no need to "prove" myself right since I take care to only post correct information. You might want to try it yourself ("feels good") biggrin.gif

BTW, itznfb got really upset the last time he posted something wrong and I corrected him...he called me names and lied about putting me on his ignore list. That's why I phrased that post as I did. wink.gif
jim2100's Avatar jim2100 03:15 PM 06-24-2013
Quote:

Funny thing is that I see Jim post... but I can't see the content as I have him blocked... although I already know he is saying my information is wrong... though a 2 second Google search results in 10,000+ posts about issues with multiple M1015 in the same computer. Here is the first hit on Google: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/49392-asrock-z77-extreme4-not-recognizing-multiple-ibm-m1015-cross-flashed-lsi9211-8i.html
Followed by literally 10,000+ hits mentioning the same issues.

Wrong as usual. The fact that it works for many people (and even the person in your link) proves that it is NOT a hardware limitation. Some people that have troubles apparently have configuration issues, but that certainly does not prove that it is a hardware limitation as you wrongly claimed.
Andy_Steb's Avatar Andy_Steb 03:44 PM 06-24-2013
Quote:

The Dell PERC H200 is a LSI 9211 variant that ships with IT firmware. I've usually been able to find them used on eBay for around ~$50-$75 and new for $90-$125. They are $209 new on Dell's site. I'm not that familiar with the H310. I can't even find pricing for it on Dell's site. I looks like it ships with IR firmware though.

I'm not sure about the post on servethehome. Implying that it ships with IR firmware. Every H200 I've picked up had IT flashed on it already.

Why is it such an issue for you guys though? Just curious. Why the need for IT mode? I get better performance out of letting the controller handle everything and additionally have the option of letting the controller build the RAID sets. As I mentioned the MegaRAID cards allow you to enable the controller in the OS only so the controller will be detected during boot but it won't load the BIOS. So it only adds about 2 seconds to boot up.

I was really under the impression that the Dell Perc H200 had raid 0,1 and 10 support.
itznfb's Avatar itznfb 04:39 PM 06-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

I was really under the impression that the Dell Perc H200 had raid 0,1 and 10 support.

It does with the correct firmware. It's a 9211 variant so it natively supports both firmware. Whether both firmware modes are provided by Dell I'm not sure. Whenever I've used that card I've just used the "unsupported" LSI firmware.
itznfb's Avatar itznfb 04:47 PM 06-24-2013
Quote:

No offense taken. I have no need to "prove" myself right since I take care to only post correct information. You might want to try it yourself ("feels good") biggrin.gif

BTW, itznfb got really upset the last time he posted something wrong and I corrected him...he called me names and lied about putting me on his ignore list. That's why I phrased that post as I did. wink.gif

All you have to do is click the little + rolleyes.gif

And never in your AVS life have you ever proven anything let alone proven someone wrong. As I was going to say in my last post..... all you have to do is check Jim's post history and you yourself will declare him the troll he his and sweep him off to the ignore list. Almost every single one of his posts are unnecessarily combative and contain incorrect information.
itznfb's Avatar itznfb 05:02 PM 06-24-2013
As for the hardware limitation... yes it's a hardware limitation. A lot of desktop boards will only support PCIe x16 RAID controllers in the 1st or 2nd PCIe x16 slot. If you put it in the 2nd slot you may have conflicts with devices in the 1st slot or any of the other x1 slots. This is the case with the ASUS Sabertooth Z77. It'll only run a controller in the 1st and 2nd slot. It will only run in both slot if they use different controllers. Populate both slots and good luck getting a PCIe x1 NIC card to get picked up without a conflict.

When you get the 2nd card Mfusick go ahead and play around with different configurations. If you get it working I'm betting you'll find 10 different scenarios where 1 or both cards don't show up.
jim2100's Avatar jim2100 05:15 PM 06-24-2013
Quote:

As for the hardware limitation... yes it's a hardware limitation. A lot of desktop boards will only support PCIe x16 RAID controllers in the 1st or 2nd PCIe x16 slot. If you put it in the 2nd slot you may have conflicts with devices in the 1st slot or any of the other x1 slots. This is the case with the ASUS Sabertooth Z77. It'll only run a controller in the 1st and 2nd slot. It will only run in both slot if they use different controllers. Populate both slots and good luck getting a PCIe x1 NIC card to get picked up without a conflict.

Wrong again.

First, what is the point of having me on your ignore list if you read my posts anyway?

Second, the LSI 9211 and IBM M1015 are x8 cards, not x16.

Third, if a motherboard does not support two or more x8 PCIe cards, that is a limitation of a motherboard not having enough x8 slot support for PCIe cards of any type. It is absurd to call that a hardware limitation for multiple HBA cards. That is like saying that it is a physical limitation that you cannot fit more than two people in an automobile because some cars are only two seaters. I have to wonder about you, sometimes. Do you have a mental health charity that we can donate to in your name? rolleyes.gif
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 05:45 PM 06-24-2013
Quote:

When you get the 2nd card Mfusick go ahead and play around with different configurations. If you get it working I'm betting you'll find 10 different scenarios where 1 or both cards don't show up.

I just want to flash it and done. I don't want any boot screens or raid options. I don't want drivers. I just want my hard drives to show up and have the card be otherwise transparent.
itznfb's Avatar itznfb 06:04 PM 06-24-2013
Quote:

Wrong again.

First, what is the point of having me on your ignore list if you read my posts anyway?

Second, the LSI 9211 and IBM M1015 are x8 cards, not x16.

Third, if a motherboard does not support two or more x8 PCIe cards, that is a limitation of a motherboard not having enough x8 slot support for PCIe cards of any type. It is absurd to call that a hardware limitation for multiple HBA cards. That is like saying that it is a physical limitation that you cannot fit more than two people in an automobile because some cars are only two seaters. I have to wonder about you, sometimes. Do you have a mental health charity that we can donate to in your name? rolleyes.gif

So I don't have to read your moronic garbage when I'm browsing the forum. It's not a limitation with the motherboard since it can handle two of any x8 PCIe devices except storage controllers. It depends on the bus layout of the board and it's obviously way over your head and you obviously haven't been around this type of hardware very long. You wonder about me huh? This coming from someone who continually proves they know absolutely nothing about computer hardware on a daily basis arguing with 20+ people on this forum. rolleyes.gif You make this forum collectively dumber every time you post.
jim2100's Avatar jim2100 06:11 PM 06-24-2013
Quote:

So I don't have to read your moronic garbage when I'm browsing the forum. It's not a limitation with the motherboard since it can handle two of any x8 PCIe devices except storage controllers.

A motherboard that can handle any two x8 PCIe cards except "storage controllers" is not a limitation of the motherboard??? Where do you come up with this stuff? Do you do stand-up comedy?

And did you really just say that you put me on your ignore list so you don't have to read my posts correcting your nonsense, and yet you obviously read my posts anyway? rolleyes.gif
itznfb's Avatar itznfb 07:03 PM 06-24-2013
Quote:

A motherboard that can handle any two x8 PCIe cards except "storage controllers" is not a limitation of the motherboard??? Where do you come up with this stuff? Do you do stand-up comedy?

And did you really just say that you put me on your ignore list so you don't have to read my posts correcting your nonsense, and yet you obviously read my posts anyway? rolleyes.gif

Do you have any clue as to why so many people on this forum disagree with everything you say? Let me give you a hint.... it's not because you're right.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 07:07 PM 06-24-2013
I see you two are getting along famously biggrin.gif

jim2100's Avatar jim2100 07:44 PM 06-24-2013
Quote:

Do you have any clue as to why so many people on this forum disagree with everything you say? Let me give you a hint.... it's not because you're right.

Ooooh, when all else fails, the appeal to the vaguely-specified authority! Can I play, too?

5 out of 7 kindergarteners (only 4 of them related to me) agree that itznfb does not know what he is talking about! tongue.gif

Am I still on your ignore list? Or were you wrong about that as well?
jsketto's Avatar jsketto 01:23 AM 06-25-2013
Soooooo, i didnt expect daddy to hit mommy at the dinner table, BUT i really appreciate all the good info/banter that you guys had for me....I think its safe to say that REGARDLESS if two HBAs work or not I will be going with an expander....i think it will be cheaper in the long run....

So the Norco 4224, m1015, seagate 4tb hdds, 3 120mm fan adapter are all ordered....still holding off on a mobo for now but im thinking the ASRock Z87 Extreme6, probably overkill but it leaves me the option for expansion

Im also thinking 16gb or ram should do it (not really concerned with ESXi)...

Big decision for me will be whether to use WHS or not?!....it seems like the right way to go, i plan on using Flexraid to set up a pool....but my current server uses windows 7 to do Sabnzbd/sickbeard/couchpotato/etc which might be a pain in the ass to set up on WHS....anyone have any experience with that? Or should I just throw windows 8 on there and use flexraid and be done with it?

Again....thanks for the help guys! ...and the laughs
amarshonarbangla's Avatar amarshonarbangla 07:49 AM 06-25-2013
Which expander do you plan on using?
itznfb's Avatar itznfb 08:55 AM 06-25-2013
I've been using the Intel RES2SV240 with great results. Decent price too.
jsketto's Avatar jsketto 09:22 AM 06-25-2013
Quote:

can i use that to make a jbod pool with flexraid....i dont want any hardware raid
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 09:33 AM 06-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsketto View Post

Quote:

can i use that to make a jbod pool with flexraid....i dont want any hardware raid

How many ports do you need now ?
jsketto's Avatar jsketto 09:41 AM 06-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

How many ports do you need now ?

So my plan is to use the m1015 that i bought....flash it was the IT firmware...then hook up the Intel RES2SV240 (found it on amazon for 245) to have all 24 ports up and running
jsketto's Avatar jsketto 09:42 AM 06-25-2013
and by ports i mean HDDs...sorry....so i would just have to use 2 pci ports
itznfb's Avatar itznfb 09:52 AM 06-25-2013
Quote:

yessir. The expander is literally just an expansion of the ports. The M1015 will do everything else.
JL-F1's Avatar JL-F1 11:28 AM 06-25-2013
rc05's Avatar rc05 11:40 AM 06-25-2013
These might be cheaper depending on shipping http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10254&cs_id=1025406&p_id=8188&seq=1&format=2

They also have shorter versions if that's too long. I'm using two of these cables with my M1015.
amarshonarbangla's Avatar amarshonarbangla 11:44 AM 06-25-2013
Quote:

So my plan is to use the m1015 that i bought....flash it was the IT firmware...then hook up the Intel RES2SV240 (found it on amazon for 245) to have all 24 ports up and running

The Intel expander can be used to connect 20 drives (one port will be used to connect with the HBA). Of course you will have one port free on the HBA, which can be hooked up directly to the Norco backplane. That should give you 24 ports of connectivity altogether.
Quote:

yessir. The expander is literally just an expansion of the ports. The M1015 will do everything else.

I have been eyeing the Intel expander myself. Do you know if it supports dual-linking?
Tags: Flexraid , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asus , Asus Us , Asus Computer , Asus Components , Norco , Asus Computer International Direct , Flexraid Raid F , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Freeagent Theater 1080p Hd Media Player Stcea201 Rk , Hitachi , Dell , Windows 7 Vista Xp Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver , Hp Oem Window Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver For Windows7 Vista Xp Home Pr , Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desk
First ... 35  36  37 38  39  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop