Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 4038 Old 10-24-2013, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Techmattr- Thanks a ton for the links...extremely helpful. I think I finally understand what I need to buy.

Mfusick- The Supermicro cards are ~$110 on Newegg. The reason I was going this route was because A) Assassin's Server blog recommended it, and B) I just don't feel that comfortable flashing the IBM 1015 (or the Dell). I figured the Supermicro would be a more straightforward solution...but, based on your comment about bad drivers, I may need to reconsider my approach...one step forward, two steps back...HaHa!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 4038 Old 10-24-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I can get you 2 Dell cards pre flashed for less than $220
Mfusick likes this.

post #1983 of 4038 Old 10-24-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilltown View Post

Mfusick- The Supermicro cards are ~$110 on Newegg. The reason I was going this route was because A) Assassin's Server blog recommended it, and B) I just don't feel that comfortable flashing the IBM 1015 (or the Dell). I figured the Supermicro would be a more straightforward solution...but, based on your comment about bad drivers, I may need to reconsider my approach...one step forward, two steps back...HaHa!

Assassin wrote that blog back before this thread, or people were flashing IBM and Dell cards. Mostly at the reccomendation he'd probably seen in the past for the Supermicro Cards. I know ReneTHX has used them with good luck, and his recomendation carries a lot of weight and respect around here so I am guessing Assassin took that as the main reason to list them in his blog. I'm not sure if he's ever used them himself (I've never seen him post about it anyways). I have seen a few threads here on AVS (use search) complaining about various things with those cards but I assume generally speaking they are good.

One advantage and reason for the IBM cards and the Dell cards flashed was cost. You get a nice quality card for a low cost. The equivalent is more $$ usually in a Supermicro.

You want to make sure you are looking at the SAS2LP and that is is the PCI 2.0 x8 version. Most of the troubles I saw were on the other (older) versions.

$109 is a fair price for a SATA card, but likely you can do better still in the flashed cards. I can recommend Andy Steb without hesitation, I got two cards from him and working perfectly. No issues at all. Just plug it in and go. (I updated my mobo bios, but did not need to do that on the other motherboard I tried). He shipped it the same day I asked for it both times and I received it in 2 days.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1984 of 4038 Old 10-25-2013, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 58
You know you can get an 8 port 3ware 9650se hardware raid card for less than a sata card + software? I don't understand why the use of such expensive SATA cards.
post #1985 of 4038 Old 10-25-2013, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I just picked up an IBM 1015 card off ebay a couple days ago for $50 +FS.

Already have my old AMD desktop ready, and can't wait to flash. I ordered two Highpoint SAS to SATA 1M cables from Amazon, the whole setup is going to cost me less than $85.

post #1986 of 4038 Old 10-25-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Fantastic price.
It's been A long time since I've seen one go that low. Even on the dell cards, the prices have been climbing.
Mfusick likes this.

post #1987 of 4038 Old 10-25-2013, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I was ready to pull the trigger on the SuperMicro SAS2LP card with a 15% off coupon I had from NewEgg, and just happened to do a quick search on ebay for an IBM M1015 card, and came across a newly posted listing with a 'Buy It Now' Price of $50 (and it came with a full height bracket).biggrin.gif

With that kind of savings, it's worth the potential hassle of flashing the card, and I (potentially) have the required parts to do the flash.
Mfusick likes this.

post #1988 of 4038 Old 10-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Keep an eye on the auctions. The buy it now prices are climbing as expected. I've been picking up the Perc H310's for about $40 a piece on the auctions.
Mfusick likes this.
post #1989 of 4038 Old 10-25-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Hey media server folks.

Soooo, I was trying to rip 3:10 to Yuma from my blu-ray disc via MakeMKV like usual. It, however, has a soundtrack that is marked as LPCM which I know should be good uncompressed audio, however when I try to play it back on my desktop PC via Total Media Theater 6, I get no audio no matter what I do. This is the first BD that I've run across this before. Any ideas on what I need to try?

Well, it works inside MediaBrowser3, so I guess that is all that matters, of course I am dealing with bugs and glitches in MB3 since it is in beta, but at least I know that the rip is good.
post #1990 of 4038 Old 10-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

It's basically just a header issue with the LPCM track.
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2530
nickbuol and Mfusick like this.
post #1991 of 4038 Old 10-25-2013, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post

It's basically just a header issue with the LPCM track.
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2530

Thanks I will give that a whirl. Seems almost "too easy" if it works. Everything else I was seeing was telling me to remux into individual WAV files per channel, but there are 2GB limits that get exceeded etc. Everything else is a big mess.

I will report back on if this works. I did notice that while MB3 gave me audio, it did sound strange. One of the many links that I jumped around to says that it basically plays the rear channels and front channels and everything is messed up until it gets fixed.

So I was hearing something, but that is why it was faint and odd sounding.

**EDIT: It worked. Wow, that was easy and a FAST fix. Thanks for finding that.
Mfusick likes this.
post #1992 of 4038 Old 10-26-2013, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 124
This is why i just encode LPCM tracks to FLAC, no silly issues with this stuff - and it saves space too!
post #1993 of 4038 Old 10-26-2013, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

This is why i just encode LPCM tracks to FLAC, no silly issues with this stuff - and it saves space too!

You can't bitstream FLAC. Well, I guess you technically could somehow if your playback software supported it and your receiver decoded FLAC but I know neither of mine do.
Mfusick likes this.
post #1994 of 4038 Old 10-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

You can't bitstream FLAC. Well, I guess you technically could somehow if your playback software supported it and your receiver decoded FLAC but I know neither of mine do.
IIRC you cannot bitstream flac over hdmi even if your reciever can decode flac.
post #1995 of 4038 Old 10-28-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You also cannot "bitstream" PCM, so you might as well decode FLAC back to PCM and send that to your receiver, the end result will be identical - PCM is PCM, if it comes directly out of your file, or was decoded first from FLAC makes no difference.
I don't really see your point. I only encode PCM tracks to FLAC, not any of the other audio streams.
post #1996 of 4038 Old 10-28-2013, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Why not just leave it PCM?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1997 of 4038 Old 10-28-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Why not just leave it PCM?

- PCM needs more space
- PCM is/was problematic with MakeMKV

Let me ask you instead, why not encode it to FLAC?
Decoding FLAC needs hardly any CPU, so unless your player of coice doesn't support FLAC for some reason (but on the other hand some players seem to have issues with MakeMKVs PCM in MKV, or at least used to in older MakeMKV versions, not sure if still a problem), i see no reason not to encode it. smile.gif
post #1998 of 4038 Old 10-28-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Laziness ?

-

post #1999 of 4038 Old 10-28-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

How so?
MakeMKV does all the work when you rip the disc.
post #2000 of 4038 Old 10-28-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I must have never experienced this . I'm not sure I have seen this. What discs are we talking about ?

-

post #2001 of 4038 Old 10-28-2013, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You also cannot "bitstream" PCM, so you might as well decode FLAC back to PCM and send that to your receiver, the end result will be identical - PCM is PCM, if it comes directly out of your file, or was decoded first from FLAC makes no difference.
I don't really see your point. I only encode PCM tracks to FLAC, not any of the other audio streams.

Then why bitstream anything? If you're going to decode FLAC at the PC then you might as well decode everything at the PC. It's an undesirable solution for most people.
post #2002 of 4038 Old 10-28-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then why bitstream anything? If you're going to decode FLAC at the PC then you might as well decode everything at the PC. It's an undesirable solution for most people.

If the Blu-ray already has PCM audio, you don't have the choice to bitstream anything, so I don't understand that argument at all.
post #2003 of 4038 Old 10-28-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not getting where I should be converting to FLAC ??? Explain more. I just rip with MKV. Am I doing something wrong ?

-

post #2004 of 4038 Old 10-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If the Blu-ray already has PCM audio, you don't have the choice to bitstream anything, so I don't understand that argument at all.

I'm saying if you're going to convert to FLAC... then you have no choice but to have the PC decode that audio which most people here go to great lengths to avoid. So by converting to FLAC you're taking a giant leap backwards.
post #2005 of 4038 Old 10-28-2013, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Well, I am sad to report that my server OS SSD just pooped the bed. mad.gif

It's a brick. Does not show up in BIOS. mad.gif

I removed the top, unplugged the SATA and SATA POWER wires from it and put them on a new out of the package SSD I had, and that shows up in BIOS just fine. It does not find the SSD, or the OS and I get that "please insert OS drive" message on boot-up.

I thought something funny was going on. I got a SMART data error on it recently but I ignored it because I had gotten one about 6 months back and it seems to keep on working without any issues. This time is different mad.gif

My server has crashed about 3 times in last two days which is very odd because it has never done this ever. Today I was doing a lot of work on it moving stuff around and such. It crashed when I launched MB theater on my desktop but I figured since that was beta it was something about the MB3 beta program that caused it. It happened again when I launched MB3 a second time after restart. So I thought it was MB3. I shut down the MB3 server and used my server for about 5 hours without any issues. Then I decided to start back up MB3 Theater. It crashed. So I rebooted and uninstalled (well I tried) to uninstall MB3 server. It got hung up and suddenly my RDP session ended. I turned on my monitor to VGA which has a direct feed from my server, server was crashed.

I rebooted and no OS drive mad.gif

I have it unhooked now. Hoping that it comes back to life. I had this happen once before on my desktop with the same SSD model (VERTEX 3) and it magically came back to life and worked fine. But so far no good. If it's dead I am gonna be super pissed-off. Even though I have a spare SSD I could swap out I just don't feel like dealing with this.

UGH...

All I wanted to do was watch a movie mad.gif

-

post #2006 of 4038 Old 10-28-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:

I'm not getting where I should be converting to FLAC ??? Explain more. I just rip with MKV. Am I doing something wrong ?

He's not saying to convert all your DTS-HD and TrueHD audio tracks to FLAC. It seems like you would see more of this kind of stuff with the number of discs you rip. You never saw any non-forced foreign language subtitles that weren't burned in until I pointed out a couple examples off hand. I can't recall which discs I've come across, but there are at least 2-3 mainstream movies that I've ripped where the audio track choices are LPCM and DD. In each case the LPCM track was the larger audio file, indicating it was the HD track just not showing itself as one of the common TrueHD/DTSHD formats.
Quote:

I'm saying if you're going to convert to FLAC... then you have no choice but to have the PC decode that audio which most people here go to great lengths to avoid. So by converting to FLAC you're taking a giant leap backwards.

People have always wanted the "lights" to show up on their receiver whether or not there was any difference in the audio output. The same conversation went around for years on the original PS3 since it didn't bitstream any HD formats, but supported all of them. There is no great leap backwards in passing lossless decoded audio to your receiver, nor is there a great leap forward by bitstreaming it over to your receiver for it to decode.

As it still seems to be ignored for some unknown reason, the topic of this conversation is specifically geared towards a few blu rays out there whose HD audio track happens to be PCM. Nick mentioned it regarding 3:10 to Yuma, and I know I've seen this on a "few" others. Keyword - few, not 90% or 50% or even 1 out of 10 for my collection. Can't bitstream FLAC due to software (AFAIK - as well as most receivers lacking support for it) or LPCM (by design), so what are we arguing about?
post #2007 of 4038 Old 10-28-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

Well, I am sad to report that my server OS SSD just pooped the bed. mad.gif

It's a brick. Does not show up in BIOS. mad.gif

I removed the top, unplugged the SATA and SATA POWER wires from it and put them on a new out of the package SSD I had, and that shows up in BIOS just fine. It does not find the SSD, or the OS and I get that "please insert OS drive" message on boot-up.

I thought something funny was going on. I got a SMART data error on it recently but I ignored it because I had gotten one about 6 months back and it seems to keep on working without any issues. This time is different mad.gif

My server has crashed about 3 times in last two days which is very odd because it has never done this ever. Today I was doing a lot of work on it moving stuff around and such. It crashed when I launched MB theater on my desktop but I figured since that was beta it was something about the MB3 beta program that caused it. It happened again when I launched MB3 a second time after restart. So I thought it was MB3. I shut down the MB3 server and used my server for about 5 hours without any issues. Then I decided to start back up MB3 Theater. It crashed. So I rebooted and uninstalled (well I tried) to uninstall MB3 server. It got hung up and suddenly my RDP session ended. I turned on my monitor to VGA which has a direct feed from my server, server was crashed.

I rebooted and no OS drive mad.gif

I have it unhooked now. Hoping that it comes back to life. I had this happen once before on my desktop with the same SSD model (VERTEX 3) and it magically came back to life and worked fine. But so far no good. If it's dead I am gonna be super pissed-off. Even though I have a spare SSD I could swap out I just don't feel like dealing with this.

UGH...

All I wanted to do was watch a movie mad.gif

So many frowny faces....Sorry to hear. I am still having problems here and there with my desktop and using the Vertex SSD also. I think my Motherboard is at fault but I am starting to give up on my OCZ SSD's. I am getting ready to buy another SSD for my future server build but will be going with a Samsung 840 EVO. I have been using those for a little while and like them so far. I liked OCZ for the price but I keep having to reload OS on them. Like I said it could be the MoBo or other but this is just my assumption.

Everyone here has more knowledge than me so I am only stating opinion is all. Hope you get your server fixed.
post #2008 of 4038 Old 10-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
MF toss it in an enclosure and hook it up to another system and see if it pops up, then run chkdsk on it if it does. I have had the exact same thing happen with my desktop SSD on occasion.

Bill
post #2009 of 4038 Old 10-28-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Two things...

Mfusick - Man, that sucks. Try Bill's idea of hooking the SSD up as a secondary drive and see if it will at least read. If it does, and if you can fix it, might be time to order a replacement and see about cloning everything. Of course, if there is too much data corruption, then cloning wouldn't be a good idea obviously.

As for the LPCM, here are the notes taken from that link earlier.

This is SUPER easy (just a couple of mouse clicks), SUPER quick (mere seconds), and seems to fix the problem without have to convert anything.

LPCM audio not working with a ripped movie using MakeMKV? This quick fix will take care of it. You need MKVmerge GUI which is part of MKVToolNix, a free download. Here is the link for the instructions, and then a paraphrase of the first post.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1407589/makemkv-and-lpcm-audio

Problems with MakeMKV and Blu-rays with LPCM audio?
When remuxing Blu-rays containing LPCM audio with MakeMKV, I would not be able to playback the LPCM audio track using anything, including VLC, TMT 6, etc.
MakeMKV sets the Codec ID to "A_MS/ACM" which is a very uncommon codec.

To solve this problem, open MKVmerge GUI, and go to File -> Header Editor.
Then go to File -> Open and browse to your MKV. Scroll down to the audio track that contains the LPCM audio and change the Codec ID from "A_MS/ACM" to "A_PCM/INT/LIT".
Then File -> Save.

This takes mere seconds to do.

Your MKV will now contain an LPCM audio track that should be compatible with any software or hardware capable of playing MKV files...
post #2010 of 4038 Old 10-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

I think my Motherboard is at fault but I am starting to give up on my OCZ SSD's. I am getting ready to buy another SSD for my future server build but will be going with a Samsung 840 EVO. I have been using those for a little while and like them so far. I liked OCZ for the price but I keep having to reload OS on them.

It would probably be a mistake to abandon an SSD, even if it is OCZ, before you definitively know if it is defective.

But for future purchases, you would be smart to avoid OCZ. OCZ SSDs are well known to be more likely to fail or cause problems than other SSDs like Samsung or Plextor. In hardware.fr hardware survey, they consistently find that OCZ SSDs have the worst return rates, by far, of all the major brands. Every 6 months, OCZ is at the bottom. The return rates for OCZ SSDs are about FIVE TIMES higher than the best brands. I don't know about you, but I would never purchase an SSD that is 5 times more likely to fail than a good brand of SSD.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.hardware.fr/articles/893-7/ssd.html&usg=ALkJrhhIVDNeLokpS9TLO1M4NaeN_CVQ3g
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Flexraid , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asus , Asus Us , Asus Computer , Asus Components , Norco , Asus Computer International Direct , Flexraid Raid F , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Freeagent Theater 1080p Hd Media Player Stcea201 Rk , Hitachi , Dell , Windows 7 Vista Xp Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver , Hp Oem Window Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver For Windows7 Vista Xp Home Pr , Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desk
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page