Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 71 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2101 of 3832 Old 11-21-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

what did you choose instead of FlexRAID? I'm looking for something Windows based with RAID and pooling

I believe he went all in with a ZFS Solaris based server using the Oracle/Solaris/Sun Microsystems software.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/downloads/index.html?ssSourceSiteId=ocomen

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/technologies/zfs-338092.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS

Have at it.

It's not a direct competitor to Flexraid though... There is nothing I have found that competes with Flexraid directly for the things I want it to do. The only real choice I struggle with is F vs T options... But I think snapshot makes sense for me.

That's not quite as simple as installing a piece of software into your Windows based OS.

Speaking of which... Where is Puwaha these days ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 3832 Old 11-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Have at it.

Think I'll stick with flexRAID. Built a rackmount HTPC/Server (streams DVR content and movies to one other place in house and serves up music for Sonos), so no need for a dedicated server; hence, Windows solution is required.
post #2103 of 3832 Old 11-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I killed my FlexRaid config tonight in order to move stuff off of the 2TB and 3TB WD green drives I still have left to my 4TB Hitachi's. Cards should be here tomorrow along with my cables, HOPEFULLY I will be up and running in full force by tomorrow night. biggrin.gif

Bill
post #2104 of 3832 Old 11-21-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Good luck Bill. Keep us posted! We're rooting for you!

- Nick Buol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2105 of 3832 Old 11-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

Good luck Bill. Keep us posted! We're rooting for you!

Thanks, seeing the "Are you sure you want to delete Movies" gave me pause for a second, lol. Almost done moving 2TB worth of data.

Bill
post #2106 of 3832 Old 11-22-2013, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Thanks, seeing the "Are you sure you want to delete Movies" gave me pause for a second, lol. Almost done moving 2TB worth of data.

Bill

This is the story of my life. Seems like I'm copying TB's constantly. Glad it's digital , and the quality remains biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2107 of 3832 Old 11-22-2013, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is the story of my life. Seems like I'm copying TB's constantly. Glad it's digital , and the quality remains biggrin.gif

Do you have something to verify all these moves/copies? I use Teracopy, as it does a CRC check after move copy (I got burned a while back with some files that were supposedly moved, but were corrupt, now I use it all the time). There's a free copy, which I think does pretty much eveything
post #2108 of 3832 Old 11-22-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Do you have something to verify all these moves/copies? I use Teracopy, as it does a CRC check after move copy (I got burned a while back with some files that were supposedly moved, but were corrupt, now I use it all the time). There's a free copy, which I think does pretty much eveything

+ 1 on terracopy. Always use it. Much better than windows standard copy paste. I love how it can "queue" up additional copies so they add to the end of the current copy instead of trying to do them all simultaneously. That's awesome when you are coping a bunch of movies. Who wants to wait for the 1st copy to end before you can paste the next one ????? The Verify feature is cool but I skip it most of the time. I have been doing this a long time and at high volume and the likely hood of an error copying is very low so I don't see the point in running that since it takes twice the time.

-

post #2109 of 3832 Old 11-22-2013, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:

I'm pretty sure anyone who has ever tried to copy/move more than 3 files in Windows in their lifetime uses TeraCopy. biggrin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2110 of 3832 Old 11-22-2013, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

techmattr do you have that link to your blog about flashing cards ?

-

post #2111 of 3832 Old 11-22-2013, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post

I'm pretty sure anyone who has ever tried to copy/move more than 3 files in Windows in their lifetime uses TeraCopy. biggrin.gif

LOL, I think it was popular when Windows explorer copy was slow, but since Win 7, I see little performance difference with TC. I use it for the CRC Check more than anything
post #2112 of 3832 Old 11-22-2013, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

I use either Ultracopier or KillCopy, I really like KillCopy.

Bill
post #2113 of 3832 Old 11-22-2013, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

techmattr do you have that link to your blog about flashing cards ?

direct link: http://techmattr.wordpress.com/2013/08/30/sas-hba-crossflashing-or-flashing-to-it-mode/

post #2114 of 3832 Old 11-22-2013, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

I tried to do the decent thing and add some comments to Matt's blog entry (which may help quite a few people), but lost what I'd typed when I tried to create an account to post them, so here they are.

Basically, if you get an error after you run the clean steps and try to reflash with the LSI firmware, you probably need to do it from a UEFI shell. I had a nightmare with this, because of secure boot. below is how I fixed it. YMMV, as it may be Motherboard dependent (Mine is ASUS Gryphon Z87).

Had a real nightmare flashing my M1015
Ran first two commands to clean bios from instructions commonly available, such as these: http://forums.servethehome.com/raid-controllers-host-bus-adapters/433-ibm-m1015-experiences-5.html

megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
megarec -cleanflash 0

I then got an error about failing to initialize the PAL when trying to install new firmware
Result of numerous Google searches suggested I would need to boot from a UEFI shell. This is where the fun started

I had just installed Windows 8.1 Pro (clean install) on an ASUS Gryphon Z87
I downloaded a UEFI shell from here (v1) https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Obtaining_UEFI_Shell
Renamed to Shellx64.efi and copied to root of usb
Also downloaded Installer_P17_for_UEFI from http://www.lsi.com/products/host-bus-adapters/pages/lsi-sas-9211-8i.aspx#tab/tab3 (downloads -> firmware)
Extracted and copied sas2flash.efi to root of USB
Tried to boot to UEFI shell and couldn’t because it wasn’t a secure boot device
So I tried to turn off secure boot in BIOS and there seems to be no way to do it
This meant I had to somehow make the USB a secure boot device

Figured out I had to set an admin password in BIOS setup
Then I went to manage keys and saved keys to USB (can’t do this without BIOS password)
Then when to advanced
Then exit
Then boot to UEFI

Once in the UEFI shell, I ran these commands (If you get "initshellApp: application not started from shell" at any point, try another uefi shell (e.g. v2). I got this when I tried v2, so went back to v1)

fs0:

sas2flash.efi -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx (x= numbers for SAS address (no dashes))

Got message saying need new firmware: entered 2118ir.bin at prompt

Installed firmware and then got "sas address added message"

Hope this helps some of you

Regards

mark
wiley165 likes this.
post #2115 of 3832 Old 11-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I tried to do the decent thing and add some comments to Matt's blog entry (which may help quite a few people), but lost what I'd typed when I tried to create an account to post them, so here they are.

::snip::

Hope this helps some of you

Regards

mark

That is all covered in the blog post wink.gif

And yeah... Wordpress sucks for commenting. Unless you already have an account and actively use it for other things it's a huge pita to setup an account just to comment.

Oh and you can turn off secure boot in the Z87 Gryphon UEFI in the same place I show in my blog as you can see here in this guy's walkthrough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8F7NfXRfiRg#t=196

Screenshot from blog: http://techmattr.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/130821130652.jpg

post #2116 of 3832 Old 11-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That is all covered in the blog post wink.gif

HI Matt

It doesn't seem to cover the case where you can't disable secure boot. I have no clue what secure boot is all about, but on my ASUS Gryphon MB, I couldn't disable secure boot for the life of me. I did find some references to it being locked depending on something that was set during windows 8.x install. I don't recall seeing anything about this. Anyway, in my quest, I found a few other people who had the same issue and never seemed to resolve it. I solved it by setting a bios password and then I was able to download the keys to the USB drive (again no clue what any of this is doing, but it worked). Wasted an entire morning on this :-(

If anyone knows h to disable secure boot, please share

Regards

mark
post #2117 of 3832 Old 11-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

HI Matt

It doesn't seem to cover the case where you can't disable secure boot. I have no clue what secure boot is all about, but on my ASUS Gryphon MB, I couldn't disable secure boot for the life of me. I did find some references to it being locked depending on something that was set during windows 8.x install. I don't recall seeing anything about this. Anyway, in my quest, I found a few other people who had the same issue and never seemed to resolve it. I solved it by setting a bios password and then I was able to download the keys to the USB drive (again no clue what any of this is doing, but it worked). Wasted an entire morning on this :-(

If anyone knows h to disable secure boot, please share

Regards

mark

Select Other OS.

http://techmattr.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/130821130709.jpg

Save. Reboot back into UEFI. Boot into EFI Shell.

post #2118 of 3832 Old 11-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Select Other OS.

http://techmattr.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/130821130709.jpg

Save. Reboot back into UEFI. Boot into EFI Shell.

Thanks will give it a try
post #2119 of 3832 Old 11-22-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Video time! I posted this in the other thread but figured I would re-post it here too.

I've been playing around with the MB3 Theater and it's "live backdrops"

Here is a quick one I just launched:(note I created a fake demo library for these videos, and removed my real media folders from the config) I really just wanted to show off a little of the video backdrops.

Here is another: #2

Just a showcase of the live video backdrop options. biggrin.gif

Here is a TV show demo:
nickbuol likes this.

-

post #2120 of 3832 Old 11-22-2013, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quick question on PPU drives for FlexRaid. What does adding an extra parity drive do for me? Does it mean that I can now have two drives fail and not lose data?
post #2121 of 3832 Old 11-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Why is the video backdrop quality so poor? Is that just a poor quality youtube upload (I watched the 1080p version), or does it really look that bad on your screen?
post #2122 of 3832 Old 11-22-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2100 View Post

Why is the video backdrop quality so poor? Is that just a poor quality youtube upload (I watched the 1080p version), or does it really look that bad on your screen?

What do you mean by "poor"?

I know that capturing things from a HTPC seems to yield stuttering video and such, so I just took it to be the capture limitations since I've seen several other screen captures look "less than good" but the person who uploads them says that they are great and don't do that in real life (stutter and have bad "gradients" of colors).

Mfusick? Enlighten us.

- Nick Buol

post #2123 of 3832 Old 11-23-2013, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think it's compression. I'd be happy to provide a couple samples to you to test locally. It looks awesome IRL.

It's 1080p mkv backdrops. You can put any video you want in the backdrops folder actually.

-

post #2124 of 3832 Old 11-23-2013, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

I think it's compression. I'd be happy to provide a couple samples to you to test locally. It looks awesome IRL.

No need. I'll take your word for it. I was just curious where the poor quality was introduced. Obviously it was not at the MBT level since you say it looks awesome on your screen.
post #2125 of 3832 Old 11-23-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronnie View Post

Quick question on PPU drives for FlexRaid. What does adding an extra parity drive do for me? Does it mean that I can now have two drives fail and not lose data?

Adding second PPU drive allows you to suffer two simultaneous hard drive failures and not lose data. With 1 parity drive you could only suffer 1 failure at a time.

Quote:

Quote:

No need. I'll take your word for it. I was just curious where the poor quality was introduced. Obviously it was not at the MBT level since you say it looks awesome on your screen.

I think we need to keep in mind too that one thing that isn't easily seen in YouTube but is much nicer in real life is the "film" or "fog" effect. The video backdrops play in the background at full quality, basically any quality you have video file that is inside the backdrops folder will play. But the video backdrops play in the background and the HD overlay has a "fog" or "greyed-out" effect to it like a sheet of tinted glass on top of the video. It's tinted grey and foggy so that the backdrops don't take over the entire eye's focus and become the main point- They are just for effect. You are not meant to watch the video backdrops critically and I think the MB3 DEV did a really nice job at making sure the focus is on the actual text and icons and HD overlay itself. The "greyed out" effect looks great in real life but it simply does not translate as well to youtube because the greyed out effect is percieved as lack of quality, which isn't really the case as in real life it's greyed out as to not make the video back drop too distracting.

Here is some of the video backdrops I used: (They are small check it out locally) [use Direct Download and then playback- don't play in your browser as that looks like sh!t too]
Friends With Benefits

Man of Steel

Hunger Games

Titanic

Just Go with It

World War Z

Tranformers Dark Side Moon

Wreck it Ralph

These are the actual files I used from my backdrops folders- They play in full quality in MBT3 except as a backdrop they are slightly greyed out intentionally- but it's still full quality.

-

post #2126 of 3832 Old 11-24-2013, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
You use a mouse to navigate your htpc? Ewwwww biggrin.gif
post #2127 of 3832 Old 11-24-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

You use a mouse to navigate your htpc? Ewwwww biggrin.gif

No. Just on my desktop (where I quickly made that video)

I don't actually have any mouse hooked up to my HTPC. (or keyboard)

We use a combo of the HP remote that came with my ebay IR kit, a universal remote programmed to WMC code, and a Lenovo handheld Mini wireless keyboard/mouse remote

-

post #2128 of 3832 Old 11-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

No. Just on my desktop (where I quickly made that video)

I don't actually have any mouse hooked up to my HTPC. (or keyboard)

We use a combo of the HP remote that came with my ebay IR kit, a universal remote programmed to WMC code, and a Lenovo handheld Mini wireless keyboard/mouse remote
I used to use an HP MCE Remote until I found out about the harmony remotes. Now with that one remote, and without having to switch modes or anything on the remote, I am able to control my htpc with it and my receiver volume at the same time. When using the hp remote I would have to use me receivers volume buttons to control volume which is a pita.
post #2129 of 3832 Old 11-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

I used to use an HP MCE Remote until I found out about the harmony remotes. Now with that one remote, and without having to switch modes or anything on the remote, I am able to control my htpc with it and my receiver volume at the same time. When using the hp remote I would have to use me receivers volume buttons to control volume which is a pita.

Harmonies are great. You can pick up the 500 and 600 series pretty cheap, and I think they are better than the current models WRT button layout and value
post #2130 of 3832 Old 11-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
So installing the live movies plugin for MBT, do I have to add the clips myself or does the plugin do it for you?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Flexraid , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asus , Asus Us , Asus Computer , Asus Components , Norco , Asus Computer International Direct , Flexraid Raid F , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Freeagent Theater 1080p Hd Media Player Stcea201 Rk , Hitachi , Dell , Windows 7 Vista Xp Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver , Hp Oem Window Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver For Windows7 Vista Xp Home Pr , Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desk
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page