Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 88 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2611 of 4060 Old 01-24-2014, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Sometimes there is more than one XMP ram profile so keep en eye out for that. Otherwise just set it manually to what you want works too. I find that when some ram has two XMP profiles the first and lower setting is the one that gets loaded by default. This means if that if the first XMP profile is 1600mhz with 9-9-9-24 timing it would load that instead of say 1866mhz or 2400mhz. But if you bought faster ram it will at least have an XMP profile for the native clock speed so often this just means switching from profile 1 to profile 2.

I find most modern Asrocks come already with ACHI mode enabled, so you are probably good there but certainly an area you want to triple check before you load your OS into SSD.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 4060 Old 01-24-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I find most modern Asrocks come already with ACHI mode enabled, so you are probably good there but certainly an area you want to triple check before you load your OS into SSD.

I did have an issue with my latest build and my ASRock board. Windows installed, but upon loading into it sometimes it would crash, and sometimes it would have weird "Pauses". This was due to the AHCI driver not being loaded by default. So I'd just make sure you load that or you are aware of that if you have weird lockups with an SSD on AHCI. After that everything was peachy.
post #2613 of 4060 Old 01-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks for the tips. I'll be using one of those 60 gig ssd I got from you. I bought the faster ram as well for the flexraid performance increase.
G.SKILL TridentX F3-2400C10D-8GTX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-2400 CL10 240PIN 1.65V Dual Channel Memory Kit

Question: The motherboard manual said enable turbo for a K CPU, I bought Intel Core i5 4670 Quad Core 3.4GHZ Processor LGA1150 Haswell 6MB Cache Retail. I don't have any need for overclocking, so leave turbo disabled?
post #2614 of 4060 Old 01-24-2014, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepP View Post

Thanks for the tips. I'll be using one of those 60 gig ssd I got from you. I bought the faster ram as well for the flexraid performance increase.
G.SKILL TridentX F3-2400C10D-8GTX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-2400 CL10 240PIN 1.65V Dual Channel Memory Kit

Question: The motherboard manual said enable turbo for a K CPU, I bought Intel Core i5 4670 Quad Core 3.4GHZ Processor LGA1150 Haswell 6MB Cache Retail. I don't have any need for overclocking, so leave turbo disabled?

This is a server right ? I wouldn't bother overclocking anything. You really just want good performance and good thermal performance with good stability. I don't think overclocking is a good idea (although technically you could)

I would run the CPU stock settings, and enable the energy save mode where it can drop in clock speed down when not needed. For instance, your 3400mhz CPU can drop down to 800mhz when idle to save energy. You can then boost your turbo boost settings so it hits say 4200mhz under heavy load so you have performance when you need it, and great energy efficiency when you don't.

As for the RAM I would use it at the XMP native profile and I would not overclock it. If you have 2400mhz CAS10 that's pretty awesome so just use it at that, with the CPU at stock. If you wanted to boost your turbo speed up a little that might be ok, but I wouldn't go manually overclocking your CPU core clock.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2615 of 4060 Old 01-24-2014, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

http://www.staples.com/HGST-Touro-0S03503-External-Mobile-Hard-Drive-4-TB/product_IM1PR5981

$30 off $150 Coupon I have. Make is an attractive price.

I have long wanted to upgrade my Parity HDD to 4TB but I have been very hesitant because I did not want to do it with a slower spindle speed drive with crappy performance. I'm thinking this bad boy above has the HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 inside with a 2 million hour MTBF and its solid 5 year warranty.

If it has something else I will likely return it, or sell it off. I'll let you guys know.

Based on the recent articles by backblaze which have renewed my love for Hitachi (I've always liked them the most but never find good deals) and I just happened to have a $30 discount and found that bad boy. It's a tad more than I normally would spend, but not that bad. I usually would want to spend about $150 on a 4TB but I felt perhaps the Hitachi might be worth a couple more bucks based on it's reliability, and also because it's the only 7200rpm drive I can find that is 4TB under $200.

I will let you all know what's inside when I shuck it.

From my recent reading it seems like the 7K4000 uses less than 2W during standby and sleep mode. (For parity I will spin down off the MOBO ports)

Based on solid 2 million hour MTBF + 5 year warranty + 2Watts idle + 7200rpm it seems like this is a great drive for me to make the leap into 4TB on my server.

I really did not want to buy a hard drive at all, but since my last remaining 2TB WD GREEN is dying I need a new hard drive anyways. My choice was buy a 3TB for about $115, or I could spend a little more and get into 4TB land. This means I will only have 1 Parity drive, but I might add a second one soon if I like this one and I find a good deal again. This should allow me to gain 1TB in the process because I plan on using my 3TB parity drive as a replacement data drive for the failing 2TB WD GREEN, and this will also rid my server of WD GREEN 2TB drives. I have 3 others I RMA-ed and received back a replacement from WD I am selling, I need to list them on ebay this weekend. I'd offer them to sale to you my AVS friends but I think they are junk and would feel bad, I'm not a fan of these since having so much bad luck with them.

You think there will be any problems with this new 4TB Hitachi since it is an Advanced Format using a 4096-byte sector size ?

-

post #2616 of 4060 Old 01-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
My Media Server is strictly Hitachi 4TB drives biggrin.gif

As for the RAM profiles, could the incorrect one cause stuttering or anything like that while streaming? Reason I ask is because I have been working on mastermaybe's machine and noticed last night that in the A-Tuning software what was in the slot didn't match the profile listed.

Bill
post #2617 of 4060 Old 01-24-2014, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

My Media Server is strictly Hitachi 4TB drives biggrin.gif

As for the RAM profiles, could the incorrect one cause stuttering or anything like that while streaming? Reason I ask is because I have been working on mastermaybe's machine and noticed last night that in the A-Tuning software what was in the slot didn't match the profile listed.

Bill

A-tuning software = bad. Remove it. That's probably your problem. Software overclocking is noob and buggy and should not be used for anything but very mild overclocks since it results in system instability.

As for RAM profiles check them out with CPU-Z ID. There is probably more than one profile I bet. What does it list ? What should it be do you think ?

What are you working on or about on his machine ?

I wouldn't trust the A-tuning software for anything over 3900mhz. Especially on socket 1150 with adaptive voltage offsets (new) which makes it tricky to get right or stable as you get more extreme. It's an i7 4770k? Keep it under 4200mhz to stay safe and watch temps. I got mine to 4800mhz but its no something I'd feel comfortable with on air cooling as a daily driver.

-

post #2618 of 4060 Old 01-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
Quote:

A-tuning software = bad. Remove it. That's probably your problem. Software overclocking is noob and buggy and should not be used for anything but very mild overclocks since it results in system instability.

As for RAM profiles check them out with CPU-Z ID. There is probably more than one profile I bet. What does it list ? What should it be do you think ?

What are you working on or about on his machine ?

I wouldn't trust the A-tuning software for anything over 3900mhz. Especially on socket 1150 with adaptive voltage offsets (new) which makes it tricky to get right or stable as you get more extreme. It's an i7 4770k? Keep it under 4200mhz to stay safe and watch temps. I got mine to 4800mhz but its no something I'd feel comfortable with on air cooling as a daily driver.

No OC going on at all, I tossed it on there so I could tell him exactly which port a bad HD was plugged into.

mem.jpg 180k .jpg file

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mem.jpg (179.6 KB, 6 views)
post #2619 of 4060 Old 01-24-2014, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like you should be running that at 1866mhz.

-

post #2620 of 4060 Old 01-24-2014, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I finished building my server last night and drove myself nuts for an extra 8 hours. Had some problems that added on about 7 extra hours to the build. Had a tough time figuring out if I had a mobo with bad sata ports, bad cables or bad SSD. Turns out, I had an intermittent Samsung 840 EVO 250GB drive that was causing all the issues that just drove me absolutely nuts!!!! Just my luck.

Here is my build:

Zalman MS800 case (10 x 5.25 slots out the front)
2 x iStarUSA 3x5.25 to 4x3.5 HD hot-swappable trayless drive cages (thought about a Norco 4220 but, already had the case sitting around. May move up to a Norco someday.......)
Seasonic 650W full modular PS
AsRock Z87 Extreme 4 mobo
Intel i5 4670 cpu (a little overkill but, I'll be doing some transcoding with Plex Server)
8 GB Gkill ddr3 1600 ram
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD (OS drive; currently using 320GB WD sata 3 drive waiting for replacement SSD tomorrow from Amazon)
19 TB of HD's ( 1x4TB Seagate HD's for PPU; 5x3TB Seagate HD's for DRU's) to start. I'll have room for 12 pool drives total.
16x Bluray burner
Win 64 Home Premium 64bit (already had unused copy/license)
FlexRaid (Raid F + storage pooling)

All up and running, in the process of transferring files over from my Mac server, then to start ripping the rest of my unripped BR's, DVD's & CD's. 482 movies total....going to take a while......

Question for Assasin, Mfusick or anybody else who might know.......

I setup Flexraid over my Win 7 64bit install following Assassin's Flexraid guide. I disabled recycle bin as directed on all drives and set up the pool. I then set "Enable recycle bin mode = true" as per the guide. According to the guide, i should then go back into Windows recycle bin and also enable "Don’t move files to the Recycle Bin" for my pool drive. Possible problem is my ":V" drive does not show up in the Windows recycle Bin properties. I followed the guide exactly. Any idea why the pool drive didn't show up in Recycle Bin?

Only thing I can think of is that is normal now and has changed since Assassin updated the guide.......

Thanks! habe
post #2621 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is a server right ? I wouldn't bother overclocking anything. You really just want good performance and good thermal performance with good stability. I don't think overclocking is a good idea (although technically you could)

I would run the CPU stock settings, and enable the energy save mode where it can drop in clock speed down when not needed. For instance, your 3400mhz CPU can drop down to 800mhz when idle to save energy. You can then boost your turbo boost settings so it hits say 4200mhz under heavy load so you have performance when you need it, and great energy efficiency when you don't.

As for the RAM I would use it at the XMP native profile and I would not overclock it. If you have 2400mhz CAS10 that's pretty awesome so just use it at that, with the CPU at stock. If you wanted to boost your turbo speed up a little that might be ok, but I wouldn't go manually overclocking your CPU core clock.

Thanks for the info. Yes it's the server and I'm not into overclocking. Last time I overclocked was a celeron 300a @ 450 I think :P

Any suggestions for hard drive tracking? When a disk fails I want to be able to know which drive caddy to pull. The long way I came up with was adding one disk at a time and then rebooting after I record which drive it has been set to under windows. Anyone got any more efficient method?

I'm just putting the hardware together now. I didn't get all my parts so I'm going to run the stock fan wall until my last 120mm fan comes in. No fan splitters either so I will run the back 2 new 80mm fans from the board and the fan wall from the psu. They only shipped 2. I'm trying the rubber fasteners they sent over screws to see how it works. No paste either for the cpu but I guess I can add that later.
post #2622 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Yes it's the server and I'm not into overclocking. Last time I overclocked was a celeron 300a @ 450 I think :P

Any suggestions for hard drive tracking? When a disk fails I want to be able to know which drive caddy to pull. The long way I came up with was adding one disk at a time and then rebooting after I record which drive it has been set to under windows. Anyone got any more efficient method?

I'm just putting the hardware together now. I didn't get all my parts so I'm going to run the stock fan wall until my last 120mm fan comes in. No fan splitters either so I will run the back 2 new 80mm fans from the board and the fan wall from the psu. They only shipped 2. I'm trying the rubber fasteners they sent over screws to see how it works. No paste either for the cpu but I guess I can add that later.

I generally wait and try to do the build only once, and do it right the first time. I wouldn't want to remove a CPU heatsink or fan to swap out thermal paste. Even though I have done this and actually I am planning to swap my server CPU and fan today it's not my recommendation unless you are sick out of your mind like me biggrin.gif

Waiting and doing it once is usually the best.

As far as HDD tracking I do it the simple way. I name my hard drives something unique to each drive (like hd movies 1, tv shows #2.. Etc) and I make an identical name label with a sticky label tape machine and put it on the front of the HDD bay case. That way if I yank out a drive I just look down and know what it is.

If you are starting fresh with all new HDD then I would just name them by brand model and size with #1, #2,#3 etc after the name for simplicity.

You could make a key or map on excel or even sticky tab paper and stick it to the top of the case so you know the location of each hdd.

If you do they naming logically I would just line them up like you read starting with 1 then 2 then 3 then 4, that means hdd 5 would be first in the second row, #6 would be next ... Etc..

Port 0 on your sata cards is drives 1-4 and port 2 SAS8087 on your sata card is drives 4-8. I just used my second card for ports 9-12 and 13-16.

I started on row 2 on the Norco and ran the top row off the mobo ports. I use this for my parity drive (which spins down) and non pooled hard drives (which also spin down)

I only have 16 HDD in my storage pool.

-

post #2623 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 10:25 AM

Liked: 30
I have mine named PPU1, PPU2, DRU1...DRUN.

I then have a sticker labeled with the drive name placed on each drive caddy.
Mfusick likes this.
post #2624 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Ugh! I am stuck in the installation loop mentioned earlier. It wont load any intel nic drivers, i have tried asssassins, which im guessing are modified to allow them to be installed on a server os, but it doest seem to work. Disable or uninstall just and reboot goes back to the same spot. Any suggestins?
post #2625 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ugh! I am stuck in the installation loop mentioned earlier. It wont load any intel nic drivers, i have tried asssassins, which im guessing are modified to allow them to be installed on a server os, but it doest seem to work. Disable or uninstall just and reboot goes back to the same spot. Any suggestins?

I need more info. I remember having a similar issues but I fixed it pretty easy. First, are you using the seperate INTEL NIC ? Or are you using the integrated NIC ?

I believe if you let it run long enough it will just install without any NIC and you can then install the LAN driver later to get online. But you need to be patient it will run forever !!! I let mine run overnight and it was installed in the morning. Otherwise you can manually load the driver, just make sure you find the right one.

-

post #2626 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:

Are you trying to install using the Intel Installer (running the setup.exe program) or are you going through device manager and installing the drivers manually? I've found that when driver installers stall, that installing manually through device manager will often work.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #2627 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

Are you trying to install using the Intel Installer (running the setup.exe program) or are you going through device manager and installing the drivers manually? I've found that when driver installers stall, that installing manually through device manager will often work.

It might not work if you have a 5400rpm hard drive installed on the system, especially a WD brand because they are really "sucky" tongue.gif

In other news,

What do we think of these:

HGST Deskstar NAS H3IKNAS40003272SN(0S03664) 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" High-Performance Hard Drive for Desktop NAS Systems Bare Drive

Extra savings w/ promo code EMCPWHF24, ends 1/30 for only $189

Really seems like a nice option for 4TB, but I am wondering if the staples or the externals shucked have the even better model inside ???

I have not recently paid very much attention to Hitachi because I have not seen any good prices on them, but considering they make a 7200rpm model 4TB and 3TB and they also come with 5 year warranty and 2.0 million hours MTBF it almost seems like they are probably worth $20 more. Especially since the evidence they are very reliable seems decent. Thoughts ?
http://www.hgst.com/hard-drives/enterprise-hard-drives/enterprise-sas-drives/ultrastar-7k4000

@Shep,

I would say if you can load the OS without the LAN driver and then install it after you are up an running that is a pretty safe bet. Otherwise, you can use a USB or CD and load it during the installation as a custom driver option.

-

post #2628 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

It's the integrated intel nic. It just keeps coming to the screen. Same problem found around post 1600
It won't load the OS it's stuck in a loop. It seems to be near the end of the installation as when I disable it and click restart it goes further into setting up the desktop but then loops back again.
I tried disabling the nic, uninstalling the nic and it always comes back to that same screen
I've tried both. Through device manager it doesn't find any drivers even though I have pointed it to the right spot.
Running the .exe says it's not compatible.
From what I have read this is due to intel not letting the driver on a consumer product install to a server OS.
I have even read up on this, changed an .inf file and still can't get it to work.

Hopefully nickbuol can chime in and let me know how he fixed it.

I've been using a USB stick for install and have put the drivers on another usb stick.

No other drives attached except the 60gb oz ssd.

If I run intels driver program and says it can't find the intel device :P

Trying to copy over the lan drivers from the asrock cd now....
post #2629 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do we think of these:

HGST Deskstar NAS H3IKNAS40003272SN(0S03664) 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" High-Performance Hard Drive for Desktop NAS Systems Bare Drive

Extra savings w/ promo code EMCPWHF24, ends 1/30 for only $189

Really seems like a nice option for 4TB, but I am wondering if the staples or the externals shucked have the even better model inside ???

I have not recently paid very much attention to Hitachi because I have not seen any good prices on them, but considering they make a 7200rpm model 4TB and 3TB and they also come with 5 year warranty and 2.0 million hours MTBF it almost seems like they are probably worth $20 more. Especially since the evidence they are very reliable seems decent. Thoughts ?
http://www.hgst.com/hard-drives/enterprise-hard-drives/enterprise-sas-drives/ultrastar-7k4000

Well, I'm not going to weigh in on this one, but I already know your thoughts on the subject, since you've been kind enough to share them with us.

You think it's a horrible deal because you think it's not worth paying extra for warranties (those are just voodoo tactics), and you think speed doesn't matter on NAS drives, and you think the only thing that really matters outside of basic compatibility is price. (If you're unclear about your thoughts on the subject, I'll be glad to post links to refresh your memory on the subject)

And I'm certain you aren't drawing any conclusions about that drive based on the backblaze reliability post a few days ago.

So unless you just have some crazy sense of brand loyalty to Hitachi, based on your own stated criteria for drive purchases, you think it's just a rip off, and Hitachi is an evil company trying to prey on their own customers ignorance by selling them drives with misleading warranties at a higher price.

That's what you think.
rc05 likes this.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #2630 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by habe View Post

Question for Assasin, Mfusick or anybody else who might know.......

I setup Flexraid over my Win 7 64bit install following Assassin's Flexraid guide. I disabled recycle bin as directed on all drives and set up the pool. I then set "Enable recycle bin mode = true" as per the guide. According to the guide, i should then go back into Windows recycle bin and also enable "Don’t move files to the Recycle Bin" for my pool drive. Possible problem is my ":V" drive does not show up in the Windows recycle Bin properties. I followed the guide exactly. Any idea why the pool drive didn't show up in Recycle Bin?

Only thing I can think of is that is normal now and has changed since Assassin updated the guide.......

Thanks! habe

I have been having a bear of a time to get Flexraid to run on top of Win 7 64 bit. To get the drive to show up, you need to go into the settings and set it up as a "local" drive. Factory settings are setup as network. I have also heard that it helps to rename it from FlexRaid to NTSF.

I'm using Flexraid in my HTPC. Other issues I have been experiencing is failed updates (It has only successfully updated 1 night out of 5) and now my live TV drops from WMC. I can get live TV back but have to point storage back to my C drive, restart the computer, and then change back to my Flexraid pool.
post #2631 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

If I run the intel setup I got from intel's site or the version on the cd it says intel adaptor not found. Device manager shows it but I still can't get any drivers to be recognized.
post #2632 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I run the intel setup I got from intel's site or the version on the cd it says intel adaptor not found. Device manager shows it but I still can't get any drivers to be recognized.

Well, I don't know of any specific trics for WHS2011, but another thing you can try is to open up the propertied page for the NIC in device manager, and go to the details page, and get the 4 digit Vendor and Device ID's. It should look something like this: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1503&CC_0200

You can check your INF files to make sure there is an entry for your specific card.

I know that when I was testing WHS 2011, I installed it on my laptop, and it has a non-server Intel Gigabit NIC, and I don't recall having any issues getting it installed, but if I get a chance tonight, I'll try again and verify.

post #2633 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

Well, I'm not going to weigh in on this one, but I already know your thoughts on the subject, since you've been kind enough to share them with us.

You think it's a horrible deal because you think it's not worth paying extra for warranties (those are just voodoo tactics), and you think speed doesn't matter on NAS drives, and you think the only thing that really matters outside of basic compatibility is price. (If you're unclear about your thoughts on the subject, I'll be glad to post links to refresh your memory on the subject)

And I'm certain you aren't drawing any conclusions about that drive based on the backblaze reliability post a few days ago.

So unless you just have some crazy sense of brand loyalty to Hitachi, based on your own stated criteria for drive purchases, you think it's just a rip off, and Hitachi is an evil company trying to prey on their own customers ignorance by selling them drives with misleading warranties at a higher price.

That's what you think.

I was being sarcastic about the 5400rpm, but not about the Hitachi. And if I had to pick a brand loyalty I would probably choose Hitachi, but I often don't buy them because of price and end up buying Seagate which have been very good to me. WD is my least favorite brand, but only because they don't make any hard drives I like (7200rpm) for good prices.

But you are really wrong about the warranty thing. I do actually value a 2 million MTBF spec and a 5 year warranty, especially when I've seen lots of other data suggesting high reliability with Hitachi. 5 years is long warranty. I don't really give two craps about 2 years vs 3 years because I generally feel like it's unlikely I will lose a drive between 24 months and 36 months. That is worthless to me, I would never pay extra for that. But post 36 months I think there is a lot of value there, I'd pay $20 for a 5 year warranty if it's bundled with a high quality drive. My objection to going with 4TB was it was hard to find a good 4TB drive that wasn't a slow spindle speed, and I am intrigued by these new Hitachi models that seem like a great alternative to Seagate or WD slow spindle speed 4TB drives. They appear higher performance, higher in reliability, and come with a better warranty and endurance spec from the MFG. $180 seems like a lot to me for a 4TB drive, so I wonder honestly what everyone's thoughts are on if that is worth the extra cost for what you appear to get.

-

post #2634 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was being sarcastic about the 5400rpm, but not about the Hitachi. And if I had to pick a brand loyalty I would probably choose Hitachi, but I often don't buy them because of price and end up buying Seagate which have been very good to me. WD is my least favorite brand, but only because they don't make any hard drives I like (7200rpm) for good prices.

But you are really wrong about the warranty thing. I do actually value a 2 million MTBF spec and a 5 year warranty, especially when I've seen lots of other data suggesting high reliability with Hitachi. 5 years is long warranty. I don't really give two craps about 2 years vs 3 years because I generally feel like it's unlikely I will lose a drive between 24 months and 36 months. That is worthless to me, I would never pay extra for that. But post 36 months I think there is a lot of value there, I'd pay $20 for a 5 year warranty if it's bundled with a high quality drive. My objection to going with 4TB was it was hard to find a good 4TB drive that wasn't a slow spindle speed, and I am intrigued by these new Hitachi models that seem like a great alternative to Seagate or WD slow spindle speed 4TB drives. They appear higher performance, higher in reliability, and come with a better warranty and endurance spec from the MFG. $180 seems like a lot to me for a 4TB drive, so I wonder honestly what everyone's thoughts are on if that is worth the extra cost for what you appear to get.

I'm not wrong about anything. I'm simply restating what you've already said are your feelings on the topic.

You said "Warranty and brand preference and voodoo tactics have no real meaningful place in hdd reliability" I can post a link to the exact post if you'd like. You didn't qualify that statement, you made no exceptions. Going contrary to that would constitute an abrupt change of your stance, since earlier in the week.

You stated earlier (in reference to a review of NAS drives) "The other bottom line is the speed of either doesn't matter." (one of the few assertions that you've made that I agree with regarding hard drives) Now you're posting a link to a NAS drive, and pointing out that it is a better performer.

You also imply here that based on reviews of other Hitachi drives that this drive should be more reliable, yet in another thread you say that you can't make generalizations about other drives based on reliability data from one specific model. (well, technically you said you can but considering the context of the discussion, it's pretty clear that you either meant "you can't" or you had been huffing paint thinner. I'm assuming the former)

post #2635 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 56
post #2636 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm asking what you think about it, not what you think I think. I know what I think. cool.gif

I do believe that a warranty does not mean a drive will last longer, and generally you can't just look at a HDD with a longer warranty and point and say "that one is more reliable" because it does not work that way. But that is a lot different than one drive with a 5 year warranty being worth some additional value over drives with only 2 or 3 year warranties. At least with the 5 year warranty you know you will have a working drive for 5 years for sure, even if it requires RMA during the time. That's worth a few bucks I think. 3 year warranties are very worthless to me, I expect all my drives to make it three years. 5 years however is very strong. Hard to hate on that.

-

post #2637 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm asking what you think about it,

I think the drive you linked to looks comparable to every other consumer grade NAS drive that's out there. I think the spindle speed means exactly nothing in the discussion, since the performance in its intended application isn't going to be limited by the spindle speed. I think it could be a good drive, but I think it' overpriced compared to the competing offerings from WD and Seagate, especially since it has the same warranty, same MTBF, and same Error Rate.

Hitachi:................$199 3yr warranty, 10^6 hour MTBF, 1 in 10^14 bits in error
Western Digital:...$188 3yr warranty, 10^6 hour MTBF, 1 in 10^14 bits in error
Seagate:..............$174 3yr warranty, 10^6 hour MTBF, 1 in 10^14 bits in error

post #2638 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstop View Post

I have been having a bear of a time to get Flexraid to run on top of Win 7 64 bit. To get the drive to show up, you need to go into the settings and set it up as a "local" drive. Factory settings are setup as network. I have also heard that it helps to rename it from FlexRaid to NTSF.

I'm using Flexraid in my HTPC. Other issues I have been experiencing is failed updates (It has only successfully updated 1 night out of 5) and now my live TV drops from WMC. I can get live TV back but have to point storage back to my C drive, restart the computer, and then change back to my Flexraid pool.

Besides this one point, everything is going smoothly so far. No problems so far with Flexraid on top of Win 7 64bit. My buddy has also been running his Flexraid on top of Win 7 64bit since November and has had no problems.

Reference my possible issue, I posted this in the Flexraid forum:

"I installed Flexraid (RaidF with pooling) two days ago and followed a guide I found on the net. Before setting up the pool and initializing, I individually shutoff the recycle bin to each of the pool drives. Once the pool was setup, I enabled the Flexraid recycle feature by changing the setting to "true". The guide then instructed me to go back to Windows Recycle Bin properties (there was an accompanying picture that showed the V: drive in the recycle bin) and also set files to not be moved to the pool drive. I do not however see my V: drive in the recycle bin.

I've searched for the answer quite a bit here, on the net, and looked through some of the Flexraid changelogs and can't find a definitive answer as to whether the V: drive should be in the recycle bin. The closest I have come to an answer I found is where Brahim noted that Flexraid disables the recycle bin but, I'm not sure if his response was in the same context as my issue. Is it correct that the pool drive no longer shows in the recycle bin or, do I have some other problem?"

To which Brahim replied:

"The pool disk should NOT have the recycle bin enabled on it.
So yeah, the setup is correct if you don't see it listed there."

So based on Brahim's response, it sounds like the my V: pool drive not showing up in the Recycle Bin is normal.

habe
post #2639 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 56
IIRC, the flexraid volume SHOULD have a recycle bin that you can toggle on or off in the properties. I recall it appearing in Win 7 and Server 2012 since I went and disabled it on both.
Mfusick likes this.
post #2640 of 4060 Old 01-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Drive warranty? Have you guys actually ever used it? I mean other than getting a DOA drive. I find myself just trashing a drive if it fails after say a year of use. I never even knew you could claim warranty on failed drives since I figure the manufacturer would be asking you to send info you normally don't keep.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Flexraid , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asus , Asus Us , Asus Computer , Asus Components , Norco , Asus Computer International Direct , Flexraid Raid F , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Freeagent Theater 1080p Hd Media Player Stcea201 Rk , Hitachi , Dell , Windows 7 Vista Xp Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver , Hp Oem Window Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver For Windows7 Vista Xp Home Pr , Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desk
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page