Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 94 - AVS Forum
First ... 92  93  94 95  96  ... Last
Home Theater Computers > Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.!
MediaFan63's Avatar MediaFan63 02:09 PM 02-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

You're probably thinking of Jeremy Kipnis

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/cine-beta-kipnis-studio-standard-6-million-kss-home-theater/

Even more want biggrin.gif

quad-mode-4-x-1080p-at-the-kipnis-studio-standard-2-650x0.jpg

kss-11-overhead-view-with-asta-625x1000.jpg

the-kipnis-studio-standard-6-2-325x325.jpg

the-kipnis-studio-standard-7-300x300.jpg

I love the $1200 a month electric bills just for the theater:
ksstransformers-300x300.jpg

http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Kipnis_Studio_Standard/Kipnis_Home_Theaters.html

Just crazy.

The facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kipnis-Studio-Standard/20208339630
Yep, that's the guy. Gotta buy a lottery ticket this week. Lol

Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 02:28 PM 02-03-2014
What do you guys get for internet speed?

You can test here:

www.speedtest.net

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3280396491
jbcain's Avatar jbcain 02:32 PM 02-03-2014
30/5. exactly what i pay for
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 02:35 PM 02-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

30/5. exactly what i pay for

it's funny how it's always exactly what you pay for isn't it. I had to pay for Comcast Blast to get the faster speed ($8 month) and it's still inconsistent but it's generally faster than basic so I don't complain.
jbcain's Avatar jbcain 02:41 PM 02-03-2014
this line is dead nuts consistent. its a fiber to the curb infrastructure. i could get 50/5 but i see no reason, seeing how google fiber is slated in my hood by year end.
techmattr's Avatar techmattr 02:42 PM 02-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

To keep the off topic goodness flowing, is it better to clone or image a failing HDD to replace it?

You need cloning software that will properly handle the bad sectors.... like ddrescue.

http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/
GCS's Avatar GCS 03:09 PM 02-03-2014
jbcain's Avatar jbcain 03:29 PM 02-03-2014
"Got this 3TB on sale. The Mainstream series of WD drives are basically WD Greens, which is not entirely a bad thing. I use the drive mainly for storage of media and, even though it runs at 5400RPM, still works great. I have it paired with a WD Black 1TB which I install all of my games on and my OS on a SSD. If you're looking for a media storage HDD, this would be a great choice."
GCS's Avatar GCS 04:06 PM 02-03-2014
Yes I read that post but I also read other posts claiming this was a WD Blue drive.

As usual hard drive manufacturers just out spreading the confusion.

Didn't know if anyone had practical experience with these or not is all.

Greg
jbcain's Avatar jbcain 04:08 PM 02-03-2014
i have an MC local, if i asked to open the box, how would i be able to tell the difference?
GCS's Avatar GCS 04:10 PM 02-03-2014
Supposedly the label on the drive.

Googling says that many drives still have the WD Green label on them (so I think they are greens) but several other posts say they pulled out a blue drive. Who knows.

I guess you could buy 10 of them and end up with a mix of drives and not know til you open the box.
wiley165's Avatar wiley165 06:55 PM 02-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post

Anyone know what drive is in the 3TB WD Desktop Mainstream retail kit?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/415196/Desktop_Mainstream_3TB_IntelliPower_SATA_60Gb-s_35_Internal_Hard_Drive_WDBH2D0030HNC-NRSN

$89 at MC

They are Greens. Note the term Intelipower. If they were Blue, they would be 7200 rpm drives, but WD max for Blue is 1 TB.
For the new WD Retail kits, Microcenter only has Greens and Reds in a Retail Kit for 3TB.

With the new labels, I can see how it's confusing, but it looks like this:

Network + Intelipower = RED
Mainstream + Intelipower = GREEN
Mainstream + 7200 = BLUE
Performance + 7200 = BLACK
GCS's Avatar GCS 07:00 PM 02-03-2014
Thanks for confirming. I guess the early reviews of this kit in 2013 they hadn't standardized on a drive yet which is why some people got WD blues.
dfkimbro's Avatar dfkimbro 10:19 PM 02-03-2014
Quote:

it's funny how it's always exactly what you pay for isn't it. I had to pay for Comcast Blast to get the faster speed ($8 month) and it's still inconsistent but it's generally faster than basic so I don't complain.

I believe Comcast does a speed boost for the first few MB of a large file, so overall transfer speed may (will?) be lower than what you see for the brief speed test. That said, my DL speeds can vary a lot depending on time of day and day of the week. And even with 30 Mbps I can get buffering on Netflix, even with non-HD content.
Andy_Steb's Avatar Andy_Steb 10:39 PM 02-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post

I believe Comcast does a speed boost for the first few MB of a large file, so overall transfer speed may (will?) be lower than what you see for the brief speed test. That said, my DL speeds can vary a lot depending on time of day and day of the week. And even with 30 Mbps I can get buffering on Netflix, even with non-HD content.

Cox does the same thing. "Speed Boost" does 2 things. One it is great for marketing, second it throws off all the benchmark tests.

Real world, my testing shows I get a consistent 50/10 that I signed up for. I just upgraded recently, wish my upload speed was even faster than this.
techmattr's Avatar techmattr 06:13 AM 02-04-2014
I pay for 50/25 with FiOS but I don't get any kind of speed boost or anything.

nickbuol's Avatar nickbuol 07:59 AM 02-04-2014
You guys and your speed. We basically have 3 choices here. Dishnet (no thank you), CenturyLink DSL (which for some reason has been capped at 7Mb (bits)/s down and 896K up, they just upped it to 20Mb/s and 896K up, but hide their pricing. I found what looks like $30 per month for the first year, then $62 after that locked for up to 4 years, or a company called Mediacom cable (who I currently use). I am using their "up to" 15Mb/s down and "up to" 1Mb/s up for a stupid price of $71 a month. They offer faster packages, and you do get a discount for year 1, but then after that it is even more stupid. The only thing holding me back from switching to DSL is that when I finished my basement, where the hub of my home's wired network is, I never put in a phone line that would be required for the DSL. At this rate, I could just pay them the silly $100 cost to run a line and have come out ahead and cheaper in the long run, but up until about a month ago, they didn't offer anything that was competitive for speed, so I will just wait for spring, if it ever comes, and run my own phone line. Ought to be fun since the garage is in the way and I want it in the basement. I will just have to get creative maybe and be very patient when trying to fish the line down from the garage, past the foundation/footings, and into the adjacent office below.

Either way, still expensive for the little bit of speed that we get.
BllDo's Avatar BllDo 08:46 AM 02-04-2014
My home never had a cable line run into the house. When we moved in, I gave the cable company a call to order service and set up the installation. Long story short, it was going to be $500 to have them do a 75' run across my backyard to the house. On principal alone, I couldn't pay that just to have the privilege of being gouged every month after that. Have been a moderately satisfied DSL customer since. Mine is capped at 3Mb, though for the last three years they have been saying that 5Mb is just around the corner. WooHoo!
techmattr's Avatar techmattr 09:13 AM 02-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

I am using their "up to" 15Mb/s down and "up to" 1Mb/s up for a stupid price of $71 a month.

Yikes that is horrific. I pay about $35/mo before taxes and fees for the FiOS 50/25 line. They wanted to charge me $250 or something like that to run the fiber to my house and I just said... "Comcast already has a copper line here I guess I'll just use that." All of a sudden they found a coupon for new customers to waive the installation fee. It's all a scam no matter how much you're paying. Everyone has to bend over I guess it's just a question of how far.
GCS's Avatar GCS 10:21 AM 02-04-2014
I would be thrilled to have Fios at almost any price at my house. I am stuck with Comcrap (and they know it). I am in a similar plan as nickbuol. Using Comcrap at 15/5 and costing me $65 a month and that's only if I keep their phone service which costs me $25 a month. If I drop phone service it goes up to $99 a month ... yippee!

Service is so bad I have trouble working from home across our VPN. My sister who has a Fios 35/35 plan for about $50 a month works from home with pretty much the same speed as working in our office. It sucks!

On a side since I know everyone here has been waiting with baited breath I decided to go with the 3TB Toshiba/Hitachi drives from Microcenter at $99 each. Ordered 12 of them and should be here at the end of the week. They were the best bang for the buck other than the WD green drives but frankly I just didn't think I could trust the greens. Of course now that I have bought them the 4TB Reds will go on sale the moment I open and install the drives in my case rolleyes.gif

Thanks for everyone's assistance and comments (even if it did touch a bit of a hot debate ... again)

Greg
leebo's Avatar leebo 10:43 AM 02-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post

I'm guessing that is due to one or more of the servers the transmission goes through and not your specific connection.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Dark_Slayer's Avatar Dark_Slayer 12:48 PM 02-04-2014
Quote:

I would be thrilled to have Fios at almost any price at my house. I am stuck with Comcrap (and they know it). I am in a similar plan as nickbuol. Using Comcrap at 15/5 and costing me $65 a month and that's only if I keep their phone service which costs me $25 a month. If I drop phone service it goes up to $99 a month ... yippee!

Service is so bad I have trouble working from home across our VPN. My sister who has a Fios 35/35 plan for about $50 a month works from home with pretty much the same speed as working in our office. It sucks!

On a side since I know everyone here has been waiting with baited breath I decided to go with the 3TB Toshiba/Hitachi drives from Microcenter at $99 each. Ordered 12 of them and should be here at the end of the week. They were the best bang for the buck other than the WD green drives but frankly I just didn't think I could trust the greens. Of course now that I have bought them the 4TB Reds will go on sale the moment I open and install the drives in my case rolleyes.gif

Two things
  1. That comcast pricing is horrendous. 15/5 is 49.99 in our market (out of promotion) with an extra $10 for blast 25/10
  2. Unless you actually need all 12 drives at once, I'd format them all to GPT and then take a few back offline until they become needed. Adding a drive to your flexraid pool is easy, and if you aren't using flexraid it's even easier just to add extra drives as needed.

Not due to any sort of data or evidence etc. I'd keep a few offline since it may take you some time to actually fill up that much space. I'm at 20TB with 4TB parity and I've still got over 5 TB of free space. I've been adding to the pool for a while
GCS's Avatar GCS 12:54 PM 02-04-2014
Thanks for the advice but I have 28TB of data to move to them already. This is replacing 2 Raid 6 arrays I already have in my server so I will actually need all 12 drives to start. I will be removing one full array setup from the system in order to set this new flexraid setup in place. I will move the data from the installed array over and once that is done remove it and reinstall the removed array to move its data. I plan to start with at 2 parity drives to begin with and move up to a 3rd one as I add other drives. I will add more later as funds allow.

Technically I can max out at 23 drives as I have one drive in the Norco that is for photos, data etc that I do not want on the array. Hoping 60TB of actual storage holds me for a while.
Dark_Slayer's Avatar Dark_Slayer 01:00 PM 02-04-2014
Quote:

Thanks for the advice but I have 28TB of data to move to them already. This is replacing 2 Raid 6 arrays I already have in my server so I will actually need all 12 drives to start. I will be removing one full array setup from the system in order to set this new flexraid setup in place. I will move the data from the installed array over and once that is done remove it and reinstall the removed array to move its data. I plan to start with at 2 parity drives to begin with and move up to a 3rd one as I add other drives. I will add more later as funds allow.

No further advice needed biggrin.gif
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 01:59 PM 02-04-2014
lol ^

Love that. biggrin.gif

60TB is a lot. I do the same thing with the drive outside the array too. That's a nice easy way to get the redundancy for stuff that is important.
Dark_Slayer's Avatar Dark_Slayer 02:45 PM 02-04-2014
Quote:

I do the same thing with the drive outside the array too. That's a nice easy way to get the redundancy for stuff that is important.
I thought I'd leave a drive out of the array for this reason, but I ended up leaving everything in the case *in* the array. I cracked open a couple seagate goflex desktop externals, and I made use of one enclosure to house my old 500GB seagate (OS drive from back in 2007). I just copied all the music/photos to it through the usb3 enclosure. I also take it to work and back up my files with it there. It's kind of an old drive, but I also have all my photos backed up between G+/drive
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 03:13 PM 02-04-2014
Good points. I guess I could remove it if I needed the extra bay back but since I have 20 bay hotswap I did it this way because it was easy and I am lazy. I could yank it out anytime. biggrin.gif
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 03:23 PM 02-04-2014
Quote:

I'm still searching for the ideal scratch disk for temp storage on my desktop, where I can get great performance locally and also good capacity.

I was thinking perhaps 3 or 4 hard drives (1TB single patters) in RAID 0 with an SSD cache.. But I never see a good deal on a fast 1TB drives I could use to set this up. I really don't want to spend much more than what a 4TB would cost me. $50 each would be awesome, but at $80 each that kinda sucks.

I am considering the 1TB drives because they seems to be about $55 each and this seems almost reasonable.

I am trying to determine if 3 of these in RAID 0 will give me the scaled performance I want ??? How much faster should it be ??

I just RMA my two old Samsung F1 7200rpm 1TB drives and got back 2 Seagate 7200.12's from Seagate. I believe the Samsung were better (500GB platters x2) but neither are as good a single 1TB platter.

Thoughts on the Toshiba 1TB ?? Vs the Seagate ? For RAID0 ? And is a 3rd HDD or 4th HDD going to bring up my speed that much more ? It should right ?

My first thought was to buy one more 7200.12 and run those three but after a little research I am not sure I will be happy with the 7200.12 Seagates.

I think I want to sell them (they are new in the factory package box) and just buy something better for a little more. I was checking out the WD BLACK, I really love the newest model of it (way better than the previous) but I can't find where they make the newer version (1TB platters) in 1TB or 2TB sizes yet (just the 4TB version) and the old versions are slower than the $59 Seagate like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

Budget $200 (I have SSD cache drive already)

What's my best option for a fast local scratch disc ?? Must be 3TB or more.

I really want 3 or 4 drives on RAID 0 for the scaled performance, but I can't help but thinking just 2 of the 3TB models like the Seagate 7200.14 or Toshiba 3TB 7200 for $99 each might be a better option. That's fast, (faster with SSD cache) and it's big too. Plus I could break it down and add both to my server when I need more storage and upgrade, whereas the 1TB are nearly worthless as a storage drive because they are so small.

The value in 3TB drives is attractive.
GCS's Avatar GCS 03:25 PM 02-04-2014
Why not go all out and really spend on some 1TB SSDs smile.gif?
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 06:50 PM 02-04-2014
$$$$$$$$$$$ mad.gif

Twins coming. I'm on a spending freeze. I can spend a few bucks, but not that kind of money.
Tags: Flexraid , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asus , Asus Us , Asus Computer , Asus Components , Norco , Asus Computer International Direct , Flexraid Raid F , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Freeagent Theater 1080p Hd Media Player Stcea201 Rk , Hitachi , Dell , Windows 7 Vista Xp Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver , Hp Oem Window Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver For Windows7 Vista Xp Home Pr , Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desk
First ... 92  93  94 95  96  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop