AVS Forum banner

Best website compare CPU ratings ?

988 views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Mfusick 
#1 ·
#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickTop  /t/1438035/best-website-compare-cpu-ratings/0_40#post_22566760

If by rating you mean performance and not customer reviews, then check out http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Yeah I've used that previously it's pretty good thanks.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Synthetic benchmarks are worthless. You need to compare real life programs that are then benchmarked. Even then, there is a huge difference in a chip's architecture. Intel's Ivy Bridge, for example, resolutely smashes the Core 2's and below in virtually everything. Even the i3 is stupid fast. I won't even mention AMD. Intel's CPU designs are amazing.

#12 ·
I'm just curious the difference.

I do a decent amount of handbrake and such and could use either machine.

They appear about the same in stock forms. The i5 is really beasty.

I've never over clocked the i5 but I could. The HTPC is only 8gb ddr3 ram too.

My turbo boost on the 2600k runs 4.6 or 4.8 and the full time over clock is really stable at anything under 4.5ghz.

At a mild over clock of 4.2 all cores the 2600k just owns the i5 at handbrake a 30gb 1080p mkv Bluray rip to a stereo mix down iPhone 4 video around 960x640 or less. It's really no contest.

My desktop has 16gb ram but I doubt that matter much.

The huge difference I thought was the desktop HDD superior speed since its s RAID 0 hdd array.

But I tried it again on the 3570 i5 on the SSD and while improved its was still slower.

I was expecting more since they are both clock speeds of 3.4 stock and 4 cores. Ivy being newer design too.

So after running handbrake about 50 times I've concluded that over clocking is mostly responsible for the speed increase.

That's why I wanted to compare the two CPUs.

I knew the 2500k was not far off the 2600k and that the 3570k should be a bit more powerful than the 2500k so I assumed they would be pretty close.

#13 ·
The SVP benchmarks show how vast an improvement overclocking makes when dealing with CPU intensive loads. You can compare classes of CPUs and overclocks of those CPUs. It's a neat resource that also shows how much or how little the GPU can affect SVP. It's one of the toughest loads you can put on a modern system that is HTPC-centric.

#16 ·
Handbrake uses x264 encoder. x264 HD Benchmark directly measures the time to encode a 720p24 MPEG-2 clip to H.264. Since Ver 5, the 720p24 clip has been replaced by a 1080p24 clip. This is the quickest way to compare the encoding performance of various CPUs (overclocked or not).

You can see users' results at Tech ARP Forums . AnandTech Bench also includes x264 HD Benchmark.

#17 ·
SVP=Smooth Video Project. It takes 24/25 fps video and interpolates it smoothly to 60/50fps. It's kind of like those LCD TVs smooth-motion modes but does a much better job than the TVs since you have increased horsepower on an outboard HTPC. Some people call this the "soap-opera" effect but it does a very good job smoothing ou 24fps judder at reasonable settings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.