Computer to CRT Projector connection options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm finishing a setup of a Linux HTPC with on-board graphics (ASRock H77M motherboard), and trying to figure out the best way to connect it to the CRT projector.

The backup projector currently in use is a Sony 1040Q with Composite video or RGB (5-channel) inputs. The main projector (in need of repair and reassembly) is a Barco 708s with Component (3-channel RGB) inputs. The computer has DVI-D, HDMI, and VGA outputs.

I thought it would be easy enough to run a VGA to Composite cable for the Sony projector, but I didn't realize that needs TV OUT capability on the graphics card in order for the signal to be compatible... It just produces a black screen as-is. So, unless I were to get a separate graphics card with that capability, it looks like that cable won't work (different color space).

If I'm not mistaken, the DVI-D out isn't of much use here, since it's only sending the digital signal (as opposed to DVI-I which has both) and would have to be converted.

So, I'm thinking I should go with something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00213KFHW/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I21Y9G/

The reviews for those and similar products all refer from going to Component to VGA (i.e., from a DVD player to a monitor) and green tint issues that sometimes result, but I don't see any reason why it can't be used to go from VGA to Component. That would be the same color space, correct? I already have a long length of Canare Component cable in place with male ends, so all I need is the short adapter.

There are also VGA to Component/VGA splitters available on eBay that would preserve some flexibility for also running a monitor when using the HTPC as just a computer (not wanting to fire up the projector and turn sideways to view what you're typing) ... does splitting the signal like that have any negative effects on video quality?

For present use (Sony), I would hopefully be able to get it working with the Audio Authority Component (3-channel) to RGB (5-channel) converter box I already have in place. I never could figure out if the box or the projector's RGB inputs are the issue, so it's been sitting unused while the low-quality Composite connection is in use. If that doesn't work, then I'm back to needing something to convert the signal to Composite for short-term use.

Another option (for the Sony) would be to get something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000067SM6/

and run a long (~10') VGA extension cable the rest of the way from it to the projector. Is there much signal degradation to that long of a VGA run, as opposed to Component? This looks like a pretty standard VGA cable and has very mixed reviews in that respect:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00000JDF8/

(I have the audio output working via S/PDIF to the preamp, so just the video stuff to sort out and the system will be ready to rock!)

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
my suggestion is to get an old graphics card with component video out.

Like an old used 9800gt or something. Hopefully your case has the room.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34

For best results You need A "VGA to 5BNC cable" to run your Sony projector

The cable plugs into the VGA(15pin) on the PC & the 5 BNC- H/V connect to the projectors 5 BNC connectors

Look at the 7th & 8th picture in this link for the correct cable, you can get them in any length unlike HDMI
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/rgbhv/index.htm

Be warned that your sony projector needs to be sent the correct "low resolution" timing to perform its best ..
post #4 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB View Post

my suggestion is to get an old graphics card with component video out.
Like an old used 9800gt or something. Hopefully your case has the room.

Hmm, I haven't been able to find any with component output ... just standard DVI/VGA models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

For best results You need A "VGA to 5BNC cable" to run your Sony projector

Good to know I was looking at the right thing with my "Another option (for the Sony)" link up above. smile.gif
Quote:
Look at the 7th & 8th picture in this link for the correct cable, you can get them in any length unlike HDMI
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/rgbhv/index.htm

Sounds like the length of the VGA run isn't a big concern in that case, although they are using a specialized cable with only the five color lines included.
Quote:
Be warned that your sony projector needs to be sent the correct "low resolution" timing to perform its best ..

How do I ensure that? Could that be why I had no luck with the Audio Authority Component to RGB conversion box? My preference would be to use that so the same cabling setup (Canare Component) will work now for the Sony and down the road for the Barco. From the bluejeanscable.com page, it sounds like that would work (uncertainty about the Audio Authority's functionality aside) with a breakout cable like in the 4th pic, VGA to Component.

Dan
post #5 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

It just occurred to me, I already have that exact "breakout" cable (VGA to 5-BNC) running from the Audio Authority box to the Sony projector, so all I need is a long VGA extension cable in order to try it out with the current setup. (I have two VGA male to male cables lying around, but a couple feet too short and no male to female adapter. Probably better to buy a single cable of the necessary length rather than connect a bunch of shorter ones together.)

Dan
post #6 of 9 Old 11-17-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

I got the VGA extension cable hooked up to the 5-BNC breakout cable (not using the Audio Authority 9A65 box) and it didn't work as hoped... I get just the red and blue tubes lit up, but with just a solid color and some fuzzy, jumpy diagonal lines. [edit: I forgot about the RGB/Line button on the control panel ... now all three tubes are lit up, but still just diagonal lines.]

In the Sony 1040Q manual, it shows leaving the Vertical Sync cable disconnected when getting the signal from a computer. However, it describes the additional scenario of separate horizontal and vertical sync signals, in which case all 5 inputs should be connected. And from everything I've read about VGA pin outs, they should all be separate signals. Nonetheless, I've tried all the BNC input combinations I can think of and none of them work.

Two possibilities come to mind:

1) the color coding on the 5-BNC cable is wrong (gray = horizontal, black = vertical, R/G/B = duh!)

2) the projectors RGB inputs are defective (this seems like the same result I had a year or more ago when trying to convert the Component input to RGB for it via the 9A65 box)

Anything else to try?

The projector's green input is for Green / Green Sync, but it seems like it should be able to handle either type depending on what's present in the cabling.

Dan
post #7 of 9 Old 11-17-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Making some progress: I lowered the output resolution to 640x480, which is the most the projector can support, and now I have two pictures. I can't quite tell if it's taking the left half of the picture and repeating it, the center of the picture and repeating it, or repeating the full thing squeezed horizontally... (The color settings suck in RGB, but that's a secondary issue to address.)

Does that sound like a sync issue? I have a VGA splitter running to a monitor and the projector (both Sony CRTs, coincidentally), and it looks fine on the monitor.

Dan
post #8 of 9 Old 11-18-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure what changed, but I can also get a picture on the projector in the default 1024x768 now. However, it's three pictures, unlike the two pictures at 640x480. (The other settings such as 800x600 produce nothing intelligible.) And it's definitely 2-3 separate pictures, rather than two halves/thirds of the picture split wrong on the screen.

I've had no luck finding any explanation of what could be causing this... Although, in searching for hints I did stumble across this old thread of mine that I had completely forgotten about:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13853&start=0

Dan
post #9 of 9 Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Problem diagnosed:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32629

Now to solve it...

Dan
Reply Home Theater Computers