Silicon Dust Home Run Prime with a Charter system that still has an analog tier. Is a second USB tuner an option? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-10-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just installed a Silicon Dust Home Run Prime and it won't receive channels that are included in the analog tier of my Charter service (e.g. 1-60). I assumed that they were also were being transmitted digitally, but they apparently are not ( someone from Charter is checking into it for me). Previously, I was using a USB Hauppage 950Q which did get the analog and clear QAM. Is it possible to use the 950Q in conjunction with the Silicon Dust Home Run Prime in Windows 7 WMC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-10-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
You can combine any tuners together. WMC has 4 tuners per type limit. So you can have 4 analog tuners, 4 Qam tuners and 4 cablecard tuners in a PC.
tahoejoe likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-11-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. For some reason after I first installed the Prime, the 950Q didn't show up. I tried again last night and it was there when I ran the WMC setup again.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-11-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
My Prime tunes the analogs but I never watch them. As a matter of fact, I'm going to remove all the ones that duplicate a digital channel from my line-up as they just make the guide more cluttered and show up in searches.

post #5 of 11 Old 11-11-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

That's surprising. My understanding is that the Prime does not have an analog tuner. Charter in my area does not appear to duplicate the analogs in digital ( Abby from umatter2charter is checking into it for me). The analogs show up in the guide, but I get a message saying they are analog and can't be tuned.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-11-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Let me check.. Maybe they're all digital but they sure look like carp to me. 4:3 and low resolution.

post #7 of 11 Old 11-11-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I checked on my kitchen TV which is QAM. They are most definitely analog as digital channels say "DT" when they tune on this TV. They are the same 480i as on my HTPC.

post #8 of 11 Old 11-11-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Most cable providers simulcast analog channles in digital. Prime defintely does not tune analog channels at all. It is a pure digital tuner.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-11-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Most cable providers simulcast analog channles in digital. Prime defintely does not tune analog channels at all. It is a pure digital tuner.

Either way it looks like carp and I'm not going to waste any time looking at it.

post #10 of 11 Old 11-11-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for checking it out. It is my understanding that Charter will be going strictly digital at some point in the near future. Hopefully sooner rather than later because some of my favorite programs are still only on analog channels ( e.g., FX. USA, AMC). If I want to see them on HD, I have to wait until they reach ON Demand which often takes a week or more.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-11-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Actually, you may have to throw in the towel and add one or more ANALOG tuners for your non-digital "favorite" channels since (at least on Mediacom) the CableCard does NOT tune On-Demand channels, you'd need their STB for those. I know the cable providers are working toward a total digital distribution from a cost-effective position -- they can cram more channels into the same bandwidth! I too await the disappearance of analog in its entirety. BTW, Mediacom is offering a "digital to RF converter box" to allow those customers with old analog TVs to watch their all-digital cable.

Isn't it interesting how we can't stand to watch any of the ol' NTSC broadcasts when just 5 years back it was the norm! Sure, HDTV is a fantastic standard with the hi-def video and AC3 audio it's better than the DVDs we watched for so many years and now only BluRay has more to offer.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page