When are 4tb drives going to get cheaper??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-11-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I can get a 3tb under 140$ so why is a 4tb over 260$ ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-11-2012, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
your guess is as good as anyone elses....
post #3 of 16 Old 11-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I would guess right........NOW. Nope.
post #4 of 16 Old 11-11-2012, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 215
My only guess is that drive manufacturers haven't gotten the following simple idea through their heads . . . Nobody needs 4 tb

If they believe there is some higher demand for 4tb drives, because people building servers are drive limited, then they may feel it's justified to keep the price high.

This is all just a guess, and it doesn't really matter to me since I own a bunch of 3 tb drives
post #5 of 16 Old 11-12-2012, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
nothing bigger to push its price down yet.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-12-2012, 05:26 AM

Liked: 147
Why haven't Maserati makers lowered the prices of Maserati's yet? You can get other cars for much cheaper, after all. I would say it is the same reason the best capacity hard drives command a premium price.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-12-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No need to spend $260 to get a 4TB internal drive. An external 4TB one (that contains only 1 drive) is much cheaper - all you have to do is open it up and extract the drive.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-12-2012, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I bought 6 4tb drives and need 2 more, would like 5 more. Got them for $249 at Best buy. If you buy them in an enclosure for $199 and pull the drive, you lose the warrenty. Is it possible to put them back in the housing if they fail? I thought there was security tape for anti-tampering on the enclosure?
Does anyone know the performance differance between the Hitachi's and the Wester Digitals? Are they the same or are the WD's slowed down?

There are a lot of people with a need for the bigger drives.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #9 of 16 Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

If you buy them in an enclosure for $199 and pull the drive, you lose the warrenty. Is it possible to put them back in the housing if they fail? I thought there was security tape for anti-tampering on the enclosure?

Technically you may void the warranty, but I've warrantied the drive that came in a seagate enclosure as an internal drive

I've cracked WD and Seagate enclosures. You could easily reassemble a Seagate external (no tape), but WD had the security tape requiring a lot more patience and work to get it back to "factory" state. The WD was from 2009, but the Seagates were the current goflex desktop usb 3 model.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Any idea if they have the same performance specs as the Hitachi?

post #11 of 16 Old 11-12-2012, 10:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

My only guess is that drive manufacturers haven't gotten the following simple idea through their heads . . . Nobody needs 4 tb
If they believe there is some higher demand for 4tb drives, because people building servers are drive limited, then they may feel it's justified to keep the price high.
This is all just a guess, and it doesn't really matter to me since I own a bunch of 3 tb drives

maybe you dont need 4tb, but i am about to start building an array, and the obvious choice for future expansion is to go with the biggest you can get, or close to it.
post #12 of 16 Old 11-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

I was in the same boat, I had a bunch of 2tb drives filled and didnt want to worry about needing space. I finally bought the Synology and started adding 4tb drives over time. I filled it with my 2tb's and swapped them out. I have 2 2tb drives left to replace. But now space is not an issue. I should be good for at least 1-2 years. Then swap with 6plus tb drives

post #13 of 16 Old 11-12-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm View Post

maybe you dont need 4tb, but i am about to start building an array, and the obvious choice for future expansion is to go with the biggest you can get, or close to it.

True, but the only case for "requiring" the biggest you can get is when you are limited on your bays (i.e. microserver)

It doesn't seem obvious to fill a 20 bay array with 4 TB drives for 80TB @ $4000 ($199 each) when you could go with the much better price point of 3 TB drives for 60TB @ $2400

Put the extra $1600 in the bank let it grow some interest and then swap them out for 6TB drives or whatever is more economical down the line

Obviously my example is pretty extreme, and depending on your case you can effectively see a "hard limit" on drive bays. I'd suggest if you're case limited to strongly consider a larger case (like the Cooler Master Cosmos) for even a steep price due to the additional storage. The savings you would get from the extra bays (and ability to add the cheaper 3TB drives to fill those bays) would offset the cost pretty quickly. With a 4in3 5.25 to 3.5 converter, the Cosmos could hold 17 HDDs
post #14 of 16 Old 11-12-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have warrantied a hitachi 2tb I cracked open from external as an internal and got a new drive with RMA too.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #15 of 16 Old 11-12-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

True, but the only case for "requiring" the biggest you can get is when you are limited on your bays (i.e. microserver)
It doesn't seem obvious to fill a 20 bay array with 4 TB drives for 80TB @ $4000 ($199 each) when you could go with the much better price point of 3 TB drives for 60TB @ $2400
Put the extra $1600 in the bank let it grow some interest and then swap them out for 6TB drives or whatever is more economical down the line
Obviously my example is pretty extreme, and depending on your case you can effectively see a "hard limit" on drive bays. I'd suggest if you're case limited to strongly consider a larger case (like the Cooler Master Cosmos) for even a steep price due to the additional storage. The savings you would get from the extra bays (and ability to add the cheaper 3TB drives to fill those bays) would offset the cost pretty quickly. With a 4in3 5.25 to 3.5 converter, the Cosmos could hold 17 HDDs

I found Costco has the hitachi external for 179$

So that's only $2 more per TB than a 130$ 3TB HDD

My issue is number of drives ... I'd like to replace smaller drives with larger drives as I'm going to be close to maxing out my case bays soon.

Replacing a 1TB with a 4tb offers advantages

-

post #16 of 16 Old 11-12-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I can get a 3tb under 140$ so why is a 4tb over 260$ ?

Poor yields.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page