Mini-ITX motherboard with Sandy Bridge mobile Celeron 847 and Intel HD Graphics - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 02-21-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I just tested the Celeron 847 build I have with the latest Intel drive + XBMC Frodo + the internal player with DXVA on + Win7 x64 and the problems I described earlier still persist. I tried it in WMP and it's smooth as butter. An easy workaround then is to launch WMP from XBMC for .MKVs. Strangely, MPC-HC exhibited the exact same behavior as XBMC.

Were the mkvs DVD or Blu-Ray rips? MPEG2, H264, or VC-1? Microsoft decoders are good for MPEG2

I assume you configured Shark's pack or LAV for mkvs to play in WMP right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 02-21-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Were the mkvs DVD or Blu-Ray rips? MPEG2, H264, or VC-1? Microsoft decoders are good for MPEG2

I assume you configured Shark's pack or LAV for mkvs to play in WMP right?

LAV 0.50.1

I tested a bunch of clips I found on the 'net and my highest bitrate MKV 'Star Trek' and posted about it here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=143433&page=4
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=143433&page=5

Looks like there was at least one VC-1 clip in there. My own rips are all H.264 Blu-ray.

ASUS and Gigabyte have them now so if I ever get rid of these Biostar boards (very nice BTW but I like the other brands) I'll switch over.

post #33 of 43 Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

LAV 0.50.1

I tested a bunch of clips I found on the 'net and my highest bitrate MKV 'Star Trek' and posted about it here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=143433&page=4
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=143433&page=5

Looks like there was at least one VC-1 clip in there. My own rips are all H.264 Blu-ray.

ASUS and Gigabyte have them now so if I ever get rid of these Biostar boards (very nice BTW but I like the other brands) I'll switch over.

I remember the majority of your experiences, but I couldn't remember your video codecs (since mkv can wrap anything smile.gif )

This has been quite puzzling for me, but I like puzzles.

Just as feedback, I run openelec on an i3-2105 with 4GB DDR-1333 in a H61 motherboard. With VAAPI enabled, I see 5-7% utilization and smooth playback. If the logic follows, 10% utilization for my setup would be about 40% in yours??? I could understand the numbers your reporting during playback

Unfortunately, I never enabled DXVA in XBMC when I used to run W7, and I've yet to go back and reload it smile.gif I know I hinted at doing so this past weekend, but too many other things came first on the list
post #34 of 43 Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:

I also tried the 80Mbps and 120Mbps samples from here with no problem: http://jellyfish.satch.com/.

For anyone looking, this is now here:

http://jell.yfish.us/

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #35 of 43 Old 02-22-2013, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Unfortunately, I never enabled DXVA in XBMC when I used to run W7, and I've yet to go back and reload it smile.gif I know I hinted at doing so this past weekend, but too many other things came first on the list

I tried with with Frodo + the new W7 x64 Intel driver + DXVA enabled and had no luck -- same behavior with macroblocking on scene changes. Turning it off I got 85-90% utilization but the video was very jumpy. I forget which thread I posted about it in -- probably the Celeron 847 thread or the Frodo + DXVA thread.

Bummer.

post #36 of 43 Old 03-29-2013, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I tried with with Frodo + the new W7 x64 Intel driver + DXVA enabled and had no luck -- same behavior with macroblocking on scene changes. Turning it off I got 85-90% utilization but the video was very jumpy. I forget which thread I posted about it in -- probably the Celeron 847 thread or the Frodo + DXVA thread.

Bummer.

Hate to revive an old thread, but thinking of investing in one of these.

With DXVA turned off, was the video jumpy only on the high bitrate 1080p files or every video played?
post #37 of 43 Old 03-29-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftall View Post

Hate to revive an old thread, but thinking of investing in one of these.

With DXVA turned off, was the video jumpy only on the high bitrate 1080p files or every video played?

Every video played on Windows 7 with the XBMC internal player. WMP/WMC played perfect, even high bitrate rips, so you could launch WMP as an external XBMC player or just use WMC.

Window 8 + Frodo it was reported to work without issue.

OpenELEC was smooth a butter.

post #38 of 43 Old 04-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi. I know I'm jumping in on this thread late also but I'm really tempted by one of these for an openELEC build and I'm wondering if there's a version that will let me have full control (including powering on from sleep) via my Harmony 650? The Gigabyte version is on sale at Newegg for $59.99 after rebate and one of the features listed on the Gigabyte site is "On/Off Charge Technology" to allow you to charge your phone or ipad from one of the front USB headers even when in sleep or shutdown. So any guess as to whether that should also allow power on from S3 via a USB IR receiver? If not that might be a deal-killer since full remote functionality is really needed for the WAF.

BTW the OP mentioned the ASUS C60M1-I as his choice for a low powered NAS and having just completed an unRAID build with one of those I can back that up so far. Can't say too much on performance yet because I'm still preclearing the drives and haven't set up the array yet but the build itself and setup in BIOS was a snap and the read and write times I've been seeing so far on the preclear cycles have been better than I expected too. Now if I can just match that with one of these Celerons for an HTPC I'll have the ultimate low cost, low power combo.
post #39 of 43 Old 04-05-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I have no trouble putting my ITX system into and out of S3 sleep with my Harmony One. I'm using an ASRock H67M-ITX. It's running an i3 2100T, but the processor should have no bearing on powering on and off.

I just started a build with a Celeron G1610 (not ITX), should have it done tonight. I suspect it's going to run just fine, regarding horsepower for an HTPC. In a mITX case, you might have to go with the G620T for clearance. That's the reason my mITX has the 2100T.

Does that help at all, or did I misunderstand the question?
post #40 of 43 Old 04-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

I have no trouble putting my ITX system into and out of S3 sleep with my Harmony One. I'm using an ASRock H67M-ITX. It's running an i3 2100T, but the processor should have no bearing on powering on and off.

I just started a build with a Celeron G1610 (not ITX), should have it done tonight. I suspect it's going to run just fine, regarding horsepower for an HTPC. In a mITX case, you might have to go with the G620T for clearance. That's the reason my mITX has the 2100T.

Does that help at all, or did I misunderstand the question?

I'm still a noob at this stuff so it may just be a dumb question on my part. I thought that to be able to power on your HTPC with a remote you needed either a CIR header or a USB header that's always on and that that was true whether the machine was powered off completely or just in sleep mode. If that's not correct and any regular USB header should allow you use your remote + a USB IR receiver to wake from sleep then that would be terrific. I know the ASRock boards have a CIR header so are you using that for your IR receiver or USB?

As for your current build, I'd love to know the exact height of the G1610 + intel stock cooler if you're using it because the G1610 was what I was eyeing originally for an HTPC and if I decide on that after all I'd love to be able to keep that in mind when shopping for cases (I'm not a fan at all of boxy cases and really want something slim line that looks like an AV component and so far I haven't had much luck finding any "t" model Celeron or Pentiums of I wind up needing that lower profile).
post #41 of 43 Old 04-05-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

You can either do CIR, or if your motherboard doesn't have CIR you can get something like this. You just use the IR receiver if you have a Harmony remote.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880101002

I have not had any trouble with any of my motherboards not keeping USB active in sleep. If it's powered off, you can't power it back up.

I didn't use the CIR since I already had the IR receiver from another build.

I just measured the 1610. From the top of the motherboard to the top of the fan, it's 2" on the dot. Don't forget to add in the stand-offs and motherboard to that, and a little space between the fan and whatever is above it. I just happened to have it handy because I'm waiting on UPS to show up with the case.
post #42 of 43 Old 04-05-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI: I meant G630T, not 620 on the low profile/low wattage processor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116407

I got my 1610 on Wednesday from MicroCenter for $35, but looks like they may be out.
306720 INTEL BOX INTEL CELERON G1610 1 34.99
post #43 of 43 Old 04-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Good info, TJ. Thanks. I just pulled the trigger on the Celeron 847 version Intel NUC on Amazon for $164.99. I was looking at the Gigabyte board + fanless Morex T3410 case w/60w PSU but I already have the laptop RAM for the NUC so buying the desktop RAM for the Gigabyte would have added up to almost the same price plus I really like the ultra SFF of the NUC. I figure if nothing else I'll get a chance to test for myself how this Celeron works with openelec and if there are any issues at all it's easy and cheap enough to return via Amazon, so no loss really. I'm hoping it will be just what I'm looking for though.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page