First HTPC build. Full component reviews/build pictures. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
premierplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys. I am going to be documenting this build. The machine will be hooked up directly in the living room to the HDTV and will be running WMC as well as XMBC. Here is a list of the items I will be using. Please feel free to comment. There will be some pictures as well as some reviews later on as well.

Memory
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS8G3D1609DS1S00 $30

Case
Silverstone Tek Micro-ATX Mini-DTX, Mini-ITX Mini Tower Plastic with Aluminum Accent Computer Cases PS07B (Black) $80

SSD
OCZ Agility 4 AGT4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $70

PSU
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom $70

Processor
Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I33225 120$

Mobo
ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $60

Silicon Dust HD HomeRunPrime -$140
XBOX 360 as bedroom extender - TBD
2TB WD Green as additional drive for DVR

I will also be adding 3-4 additional drives depending on BF/CyberMonday deals.
premierplayer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
premierplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
reserve for build pictures.
premierplayer is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 11-12-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
premierplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
reserved for component reviews
premierplayer is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 11-12-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
olyteddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Well you list the case as a microATX and seem to have chosen an ATX mobo. Is that a typo or an oversight?
olyteddy is online now  
post #5 of 18 Old 11-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tiddles88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
PSU is pointless. Get a Seasonic S12II-430, mobo is also pointless, get an H77M-D3H. You don't need gaming hardware for a HTPC.
Tiddles88 is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 11-12-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dark_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Well you list the case as a microATX and seem to have chosen an ATX mobo. Is that a typo or an oversight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

PSU is pointless. Get a Seasonic S12II-430, mobo is also pointless, get an H77M-D3H. You don't need gaming hardware for a HTPC.

Agree that you've chosen mATX case with ATX mobo

If you can get that board for that price, go for it. It won't hurt and it won't use any more power, but if it's more expensive then there is no use to get the z77 over h77 with a non-k i3 processor

As for the PSU, I very highly recommend the silencer MKIII, but you don't really need 600W. Each HDD you add will only run you an extra 10W, and your base config won't require more than 60-70W, so 600 is not only overkill but ineffecient. You should target 20% or 50% but never less than 20% for your PSU. Go with the 400W version, or if the case is not completely decided upon consider this one link. It comes with an Antec Green 380W PSU
Dark_Slayer is online now  
post #7 of 18 Old 11-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tiddles88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Agree that you've chosen mATX case with ATX mobo
If you can get that board for that price, go for it. It won't hurt and it won't use any more power, but if it's more expensive then there is no use to get the z77 over h77 with a non-k i3 processor
As for the PSU, I very highly recommend the silencer MKIII, but you don't really need 600W. Each HDD you add will only run you an extra 10W, and your base config won't require more than 60-70W, so 600 is not only overkill but ineffecient. You should target 20% or 50% but never less than 20% for your PSU. Go with the 400W version, or if the case is not completely decided upon consider this one link. It comes with an Antec Green 380W PSU

Seasonic's PSU's (or Seasonic internals) are the best overall. Only Enermax can come close.
Tiddles88 is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 11-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Radio81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Radio81 is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 11-12-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
StardogChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 3,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 121
StardogChampion is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 11-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Radio81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Ha! Well definitely cheaper in price, it doesn't appear to be modular, and the OP didn't exactly state a budget, so naturally I recommend what I use. smile.gif

It's completely silent, if you're into that sort of thing cool.gif
Radio81 is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 11-13-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dark_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

Seasonic's PSU's (or Seasonic internals) are the best overall. Only Enermax can come close.

You recommend the Corsair CX430 quite a bit. Corsair's OEM for that model is Channelwell

I thought the case I recommended came with a Seasonic made PSU branded by Antec, the EA-380. It turns out to be the EA-380D which is manufactured by Delta.

Still a good price.

I like Seasonic PSUs as well, that's why I always recommend the PC Power and Cooling Silencer MKIII biggrin.gif
Dark_Slayer is online now  
post #12 of 18 Old 11-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
ljo000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You might want to look for better deals on the SSD as well. I got a 128GB Vertex 4 for $80 some months back and Black Friday should beat that price.
Mfusick likes this.
ljo000 is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 11-13-2012, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,420
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Mfusick is online now  
post #14 of 18 Old 11-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tiddles88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

You recommend the Corsair CX430 quite a bit. Corsair's OEM for that model is Channelwell
I thought the case I recommended came with a Seasonic made PSU branded by Antec, the EA-380. It turns out to be the EA-380D which is manufactured by Delta.
Still a good price.
I like Seasonic PSUs as well, that's why I always recommend the PC Power and Cooling Silencer MKIII biggrin.gif

Corsair simply because the quality is great and its really cheap, and also that Seasonic may not be available depending where you live. BUT Seasonic first and foremost. Excellent quality.
Tiddles88 is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dark_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

Corsair simply because the quality is great and its really cheap, and also that Seasonic may not be available depending where you live. BUT Seasonic first and foremost. Excellent quality.

Okay, so you really mean Corsair because their quality control is great when rebranding a quality PSU actually made by Channel Well. I don't think there quality is that great, because it's too loud for my taste but it's hard to beat for $20

Since we both agree that Seasonic is a good quality PSU, maybe you should realize the following units are made by Seasonic
  • Antec Neo, Eco, Earthwatts, and High Current Gamer models <600W
  • Arctic Cooling Fusion
  • Corsair CX (400W), HX (450, 520, 620, 650), VX 450, and TX 650
  • PC Power and Cooling Silencer MKIII
  • XFX Black Edition and Core Edition
Dark_Slayer is online now  
post #16 of 18 Old 11-14-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,420
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Great post!! ^

Don't forget people won't buy the PC power and cooling you have because OCZ owns them too..

I ended up grabbing a 530wat Eco neo and. 400 watt neo for 25$ and 29$ and I think it's a good little PSU for cheap.

Just remember that Antec is so cheap they don't give you a power cord ....

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #17 of 18 Old 11-14-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,948
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Great post!! ^
Don't forget people won't buy the PC power and cooling you have because OCZ owns them too..
I ended up grabbing a 530wat Eco neo and. 400 watt neo for 25$ and 29$ and I think it's a good little PSU for cheap.
Just remember that Antec is so cheap they don't give you a power cord ....

C'Mon man. Knock it off. You have over done it.

Btw antec isn't cheap. Its part of the "green" product line as the want you to reuse a ubiquitous power cord that you likely already own.
assassin is online now  
post #18 of 18 Old 11-14-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,420
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 776
That's just a dumb excuse not give you a power cord IMO...

But other than that its a great choice. I have two.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off