Need advice on SSD requirement and benefit for my HTPC configuration.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-12-2012, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have posted this else where as part of a different thread, but am not sure I got my questions answered, so I am creating this thread...

I basically need help in identifying if I need a SSD for anyone of the systems below. If the answer is yes then which of these two systems will benefit from an SSD and how big an SSD should I buy?

Video Editing system configuration:
I have a i7 2600k based desktop with 16GB memory for Video Editing. This currently runs Windows7 Professional (x64). The video card is a EVGA Geforce GTX 560Ti (448 core) card. The OS is currently installed on a Seagate 7200 rpm SATAII Barracuda 160GB drive.

HTPC:
A hp8440p laptop with core i5 and with 4 GB memory. This has a Nvidia 3100M video card and also runs Windows7 Home Premium. The OS is currently installed on the original HD which I guess is a 250GB drive. I use XBMC Eden with HD Audio patch. The audio is configured as pass-through to my receiver. I have mkv, iso, mp4, divx movie content; wav, mp3, aac, flac as audio files; jpg, raw, ps files for pictures.

I ran the Windows score a couple of minutes ago and the built-in graphics has the lowest score with a 5.0, hard disk with a 5.9, memory with a 5.9. In this situation, do I upgrade the HDD to a SSD (and if yes, what is the minimum capacity) or do I add more memory for better overall performance with XBMC?

Cheers.. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-12-2012, 11:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
I'd get a 240 gig vertex 3 max IOPS for 129$ at newegg for the 2600k machine

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
yes

Computer without a SSD boot drive is like using a 386SX.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Yes , it is now almost considered a requirement to use an ssd for the os and main programs / software. Only a year ago or so it would have been considered a luxury purchase but today , with the price of ssd s so low it would be foolish not to use one .

Most folks , even for everyday desk top usage do just fine with 128 gig ssd . I would strongly advise a Crucial M4 or a Samsung 830 or 840 model
post #5 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
you don't seem to indicate if the performance is lacking. The windows score is relatively useless.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

you don't seem to indicate if the performance is lacking. The windows score is relatively useless.

He also doesn't say how he uses the computer. If, for example, all he does is WMC with the computer always on, about the only benefit of an SSD would be faster menus.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But his windows score for HDD speed will increase from 5.0 to 7.9 do obviously there's a performance boost with SSD.

I guess it's his choice if he wants it.

At the end if the day almost no one "needs" it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #8 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

It can really breath life into an older computer, keeping you from buying a new computer.

Also, they seem to really help netbooks.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 04:05 PM

I'm was running Media Browser a HTPC with a AMD Atthlon II X3 435 Proc (2.9 GHz) 4 Gig of DDR2 Ram and onboard AMD 4200 graphics connected through HDM and a 1TD hard drive. All my Media is stored on my home server. My Media library (350+ movies and 1000+ TV shows) took so long to initialize that the system became useless. I bought a 128Gig SSD to use in my gaming rig but decided to thow it into my HTPC (replacing the 1TB drive). Long story short, problem fixed. System now boots right up and no issues with the database. I can start going through my library right away.

So I guess to answer your question - if you are planning on having a large Media Library an SSD will help. I would only upgrade though if things are taking too long to load.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

But his windows score for HDD speed will increase from 5.0 to 7.9 do obviously there's a performance boost with SSD.
I guess it's his choice if he wants it.

What?
post #11 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I don't wanna get on the " hey ur a piece of crap and you should not be allowed to own a pc if you don't use an ssd" band wagon cause I genuinely do not feel that way at all . If funds are tight and you want a nice htpc with a standard spinner then by all means , DO IT !! It will function just fine . Has been proven many times over .

Other than the cost of having a dedicated os drive ilo an all in one hdd, WHAT would be the disadvantage of owing an ssd ?

Ya, bringing the ram into the equastion is a good point as to the overall evaluation of system performance . BTW... ram is wicked cheap right now so theirs another reason to " why not if you can" .

Windows Experiance scores ? Really ? .... ya , I don't think so rolleyes.gif
post #12 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 09:48 PM

Moving into SSD's over the last week, I'd say owning one for the first time brings a whole new experience to using a computer. Waiting and/or navigating on your computer no longer feels like a chore or a task. It is that quick. **Assuming the system is equally up to the task.

My Samsung 830 64gb drive that I bought for $49 a month ago boots Win7 in 7-10 seconds. I can't even make it out of the room before I can begin using the system. I've build a few dozen computers over the last 15 years through high school and college, being budget minded but also not sacrificing what "could have been". I am sure as hell glad I bought 4 others for the rest of my rigs. smile.gif

The way I see it, if you think you'll want it/benefit from it, then get it. Settling with something less only makes you regret not doing so. If it's not in the cards, wait for it. The budget will meet the price soon enough, looking at the downward trend of SSD prices in the last month alone.

Heck, buy one. If you don't think it's worth it, sell it to anyone one of us for a $10 loss. But I can guarantee you that after you use it, you won't even consider the opportunity to re-coup your "wasted" investment.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What?

I meant that the windows score is a worthless benchmark but an SSD would still raise his score from his current 5.0 score to a perfect 7.9 with the SSD drive I linked.

So it was sarcastic.

I meant that if you cared about that benchmark SSD is a great improvement.

But in honesty I was trying day it's really nice improvement in almost any system but no one really "needs" it. Sure you can go without just fine but personally I just wouldn't want to.

If I never had SSD or didn't know better I guess it would matter. But going back after having SSD would be much harder.

-

post #14 of 14 Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifteenfeetoff View Post

Moving into SSD's over the last week, I'd say owning one for the first time brings a whole new experience to using a computer. Waiting and/or navigating on your computer no longer feels like a chore or a task. It is that quick. **Assuming the system is equally up to the task..

I would agree. What I like is that even in Vista when booting as soon as you get to your desktop you can launch multiple large programs almost instantly, even while your startup programs are still launching.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page