Small Vendor-Finished HTPC: Bluray, HDTV, DVR... + Amp? (Destination = Projector) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Are there reasonably high-volume vendors of small standard HTPCs? My demands are very modest: Bluray, DVD-good-upscaling, Netflix Web, HDTV OTA (with DVR capability), silent (or very quiet), small. low power. Think a Mac Mini with a tuner and a blu-ray player built-in. preferably $500-$1,000. I have no gaming or high-end needs. it will drive an epson projector. I would love a simple preprogrammed interface. I really have only two inputs and one output. I want to turn it on and off, select my input source and volume. for each input, I need some extras (captions, channel, pause, stop, etc). it's really not that complex.

if I could get this device with an 5.1 amp, it would be even better, but I can probably get active speakers instead.

most of all, I want something that is made for these tasks from the start by a vendor who understands my needs. I don't want to spend my time tinkering. I already have 3 devices that do the job (Denon AVR, Panasonic Bluray, TIVO), and they work ok, even though the system overall is clunky.

does this exist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
It exists, but you will have to build it.

Assassin is probably someone who can custom build it for you.

I could build something like that too, but I only do stuff locally. I am in WNY area.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 11-13-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Once upon a time there was AMD Maui which had an integrated 5.1 amplifier. I haven't seen such a card since. I think that's going to be the hard part -- finding an amplifier in the form of a sound card or integrated somehow into a PC case and any HDMI switching with it like you'd find in an AVR.

post #4 of 6 Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

this sucks. the AMD Maui (or Media Live DIVA) seems to be roughly what I wanted, in an integrated package. will have to wait for something like this to come again...

/iaw
post #5 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Looks like even if you could find the card separately, it would not work without the motherboard. But, if you did find the package, it's still workable.

http://media.msi.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27759

This appears to be vaporware:

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/6/5/sparkle-launches-a-sound-amplifying-card.aspx

post #6 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivo welch View Post

this sucks. the AMD Maui (or Media Live DIVA) seems to be roughly what I wanted, in an integrated package. will have to wait for something like this to come again...
/iaw

I have three of these boards (one in use and two spares). Excellent systems. I cannot understand why MSI isn't renewing this lineup. I'm gonna be in real trouble when I burn through my spares. These are ideal for people who want only one box and only one remote.

Of course, an even better solution would be for Intersil to get off their collective asses and enter the sound card market. A production 5.1 or 7.1 channel / 100 Watt per channel amp card independent of motherboard would be the cat's ass.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page