HDMI Audio Issues are driving me nuts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-13-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
erc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If someone can help me solve this issue, I'll send you $50 through PayPal.

Actually there are a number of issues, but I'm going to start with the most obnoxious.

My setup:

TV: Samsung UN46EH6000
AVR: Denon AVR-1610
HTPC: Ivy Bridge Core i3 / HD4000 graphics. Latest drivers are installed (October 23rd, downloaded from Intel)

Connected as you would expect with high speed HDMI cables.

The Problem

If I play a YouTube video, or a show on Netflix, the audio is fine from start to finish. As soon as the video/show is over, that's it, no more audio. No windows sounds, no nothing. If I switch audio modes on the AVR (for example, from Direct to Stereo, and then back again) the audio will return until the end of the next video/show. Unplugging/re-plugging the HDMI cable will also fix it.

This is only a problem when the PC is running through the AVR. I never lose audio on the TV when playing vidoes on the HTPC.

I just got a Gefen HDMI Detective in the mail yesterday to clear up handshake issues. I was hoping this was simply a handshake issue and that the HDMI Detective would clear it up, but so far no luck.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-13-2012, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I would try a different hdmi input on the receiver, then different nvidia drivers, and then possibly a different HDMI cable altogether. Also try sending the audio over HDMI as PCM vs. bitstreaming to see if that changes anything.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-13-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hopefully someone can clarify, but maybe this is related to the silent stream bug. Look here.
post #4 of 16 Old 11-13-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
erc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

I would try a different hdmi input on the receiver, then different nvidia drivers, and then possibly a different HDMI cable altogether. Also try sending the audio over HDMI as PCM vs. bitstreaming to see if that changes anything.

I've tried all HDMI inputs on the receiver. Graphics are Ivy Bridge integrated on the CPU, so it's the Intel drivers that come into play here. Latest drivers are installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Hopefully someone can clarify, but maybe this is related to the silent stream bug. Look here.

Already tried AVR Audio Guard software, and no luck.

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep em coming!
post #5 of 16 Old 11-13-2012, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Is it possible to upgrade the firmware on the receiver?
post #6 of 16 Old 11-13-2012, 12:01 PM

What brand of motherboard?

I have something similar where occasionally the sound will stop altogether (receiver indicates a switch from DD to stereo mode) or it gets into a 1-2 second audio loop that just repeats, even while the video continues... Siwtching modes on the receiver, or switching sound playback device usually seems to fix it. Sometimes for one video, sometimes for much longer. Anyhow, I'm running a Sandy Bridge IGP setup using a cheap ECS motherboard I got at Fry's... I've been hoping it's something peculiar to the motherboard or combo of the MB and Intel drivers.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
erc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Stain View Post

What brand of motherboard?
I have something similar where occasionally the sound will stop altogether (receiver indicates a switch from DD to stereo mode) or it gets into a 1-2 second audio loop that just repeats, even while the video continues... Siwtching modes on the receiver, or switching sound playback device usually seems to fix it. Sometimes for one video, sometimes for much longer. Anyhow, I'm running a Sandy Bridge IGP setup using a cheap ECS motherboard I got at Fry's... I've been hoping it's something peculiar to the motherboard or combo of the MB and Intel drivers.

Not sure if the problems are related or not. In my case, the receiver doesn't show signs of any switch to a different mode.

My motherboard isn't top of the line or anything, but it is a high quality board: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
post #8 of 16 Old 11-13-2012, 04:59 PM

Change the "Default Format" for the Denon to 24 bit, 44100 Hz and enable both exclusive modes, found under the advanced tab of the Denon listed under the sound devices control panel.

I have a Denon AVR-890 (aka 1910) with the same problem and this fixed it for me. For some reason the 2010 Denon's and Intel only agree on that particular format. I think Denon came out with a firmware update to fix this, but with no network connection available on our models you have to take it in to an authorized place to get the update.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-13-2012, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have you tried downloading and reinstalling the Realtek audio drivers?

Toys

Denon AVR-3311CI, Denon DVP-602CI, B&K EX4420, B&K TX4430, Belkin PF60
Sony BDP-S5000ES, Silverstone HTPC (6 Tuner DVR & 10 TB Media)
PSB Stratus Minis, PSB Stratus C6, PSB Alpha S surround, James Subwoofer EMB-1200
Sharp LC-70LE755U, Harmony 880 Remote
post #10 of 16 Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
erc

Interesting. That setting didn't work for me, but I went through every one of them before hitting the lowest quality one --16 bit, 32,000 Hz. It seems to work better, but it's still dropping audio sometimes. I'm not really clear on what this setting is for, or whether it would degrade the audio quality coming out of my blu ray rips (DTS-HD) playing through XBMC. Incidentally, I never had any trouble with audio from XBMC, only everything else.

I just noticed that audio isn't totally going away, though. If I crank the volume up to +15 I can actually hear it, although the level is at about what should be -40.

Unfortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere, so if this AVR needs a firmware upgrade, I'll be shipping it.
post #11 of 16 Old 11-13-2012, 07:22 PM

weird, sounded like the same issue. Here is the thread for the old mobo that I have and the issue.

I dont think the problem is specific to that motherboard, but all Intel drivers. Did you try that setting with the speakers set as stereo? I am not sure if its specific to Windows Media Center or Windows in general, but there is another problem where I had to set my speaker set up for Denon in the windows control panel to stereo. I still get full surround, but for some reason you cant set it that way in Windows, go figure.
post #12 of 16 Old 11-14-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
erc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys7505 View Post

Have you tried downloading and reinstalling the Realtek audio drivers?
Toys
The audio chipset on the board is VIA, and their drivers seem awful compared to RealTek. I'll make sure I've got the latest as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT083 View Post

weird, sounded like the same issue. Here is the thread for the old mobo that I have and the issue.
I dont think the problem is specific to that motherboard, but all Intel drivers. Did you try that setting with the speakers set as stereo? I am not sure if its specific to Windows Media Center or Windows in general, but there is another problem where I had to set my speaker set up for Denon in the windows control panel to stereo. I still get full surround, but for some reason you cant set it that way in Windows, go figure.
I haven't tried Stereo yet since changing the Default Format setting, so I'll do that tonight when I get home.

That thread you linked was a very interesting read. It sounds quite similar to my issues, and it's a shame that the 24bit/41000Hz setting didn't fix my issue. I'm still not clear on whether it's a Denon problem or an Intel problem, but I'll be contacting Denon to see if there are any firmware updates for my receiver. I checked, and the nearest Denon repair place is about a 9 hour drive away.

If it is an Intel driver issue, the fact that that thread is more than two years old isn't very encouraging.
post #13 of 16 Old 11-14-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Maybe take a look here for help with HDMI issues with XX12 Denon AVR's.

There's also a ton of information for the XX13 models but I think that this will help with any current AVR/HDMI issue. You can search that sub-forum for help on the XX10's too. I know my 889 is covered as well as my XX12 in the thread I linked above.

post #14 of 16 Old 11-20-2012, 02:48 PM

I have the exact same problem with my config :
TV: Sony EX500
HTPC: Ivy Bridge Core i5 3450s / HD2500 graphics

When I play a video on youtube or with vlc, I have no more sound after the first video. The only way to "reset" it is to switch manually mode on my avr-1610

Did you manage to solve your issue ?

PS : Sorry for my english
post #15 of 16 Old 03-26-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Exact same problem over here.

TV: Panasonic TC-P50S2
HTPC: i3 3220/HD 2500 graphics

It definitely seems like an issue with Denon. I've tried all playback formats and the issue exists on all of them.

If I stick with the MS-provided drivers from Windows 8, I get audio but no HD bitstreaming. As soon as I install the Intel drivers, I get HD bitstreaming, but also get the issue described in this thread.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-26-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Going to try this when I get home tonight.
Quote:
w. Volume drops randomly from AT&T U-verse box: Setting Audyssey Dynamic Vol to OFF for the AT&T U-Verse source input should resolve this issue, otherwise you can bypass the AVR with HDMI from the box to the TV and optical from the box to the AVR.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page