"Commericals of death" - am I missing something? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-15-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife likes to watch streaming content from the websites of various broadcast TV providers (NBC, CBS, CW, etc.). Most of the time the commercials play without any problem but sometimes we encounter an "interactive" commercial. For example, one time was a Samsung tablet where we were told to move the pen around. Another one was a big link to Kohl's department store. For all of these, we are unable to resume the program (even after visiting the websites). Is there a "continue" button (or set of actions) that I'm missing? Thanks!

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-15-2012, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Any ideas?
post #3 of 10 Old 11-16-2012, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Use Adblock and bypass the commercials altogether?
post #4 of 10 Old 11-16-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post

Any ideas?
Don't be dyslexic in thread titles?

Otherwise, the answer is indeed AdBlock and FlashBlock.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If you're watching on the PC, I suggesting using Hulu as much as possible. They don't do that other than wanting which commercial may be of interest, but will pick one after so many seconds. As for the other commercials, you just have to look for the continue or close button. If you have it on full screen, trying getting out of full screen, "esc" key usually works, and you may find it.

I have run into this issue a little, but usually flash player is crapping out. I think it's usually the site's poor design.

I'm not sure how effective FlashBlock may be since quite of a few of those sites use Flash Player.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-17-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

You can whitelist any site you want with FlashBlock, and it will keep you from seeing all the ad junk on the rest. It's a must-have in my house.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

If you're watching on the PC, I suggesting using Hulu as much as possible. They don't do that other than wanting which commercial may be of interest, but will pick one after so many seconds. As for the other commercials, you just have to look for the continue or close button. If you have it on full screen, trying getting out of full screen, "esc" key usually works, and you may find it.
I have run into this issue a little, but usually flash player is crapping out. I think it's usually the site's poor design.
I'm not sure how effective FlashBlock may be since quite of a few of those sites use Flash Player.
Thanks, I think you understood my issue. Let's take the SyFy website. When you watch a full episode it is entirely inside a flash wrapper. I -think- the commercial gets pushed within this wrapper. In other words, if I whitelist the episode I'm also going to get the commercial. The commercial will play and then there is no way to continue with the program. Now I have to reload the page, click to the point in the episode, watch a bunch of additional commercials, and then hope that I don't get a 'commercial of death' again.

I will try your ESC idea the next time it happens, thanks.

I'm using IE9 because I didn't want to have to deal with all the web browser add-ons for a simple HTPC. I agree that Hulu is the way to go when ever possible; these particular shows are either not on Hulu or are the latest episode (and only on Hulu plus or the network's website).
Quote:
Don't be dyslexic in thread titles?
We're talking about the commercials of death, not the death of commercials. Thanks.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-20-2012, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've run into your issue on AETV for Hoarders. It's not all time. In the times it does, it's flash player. I've also had flash player goof, but in a good way, where no commercials played.

I personally don't use IE, I prefer Chrome. When I had problems, it usually occurred across all browsers--IE, Chrome, Firefox.

I think it's just they were SyFy or whatever websites are setup with flash player. You may want to try uninstalling and reinstalling flash player or the browser. It may help
post #9 of 10 Old 11-20-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post

We're talking about the commercials of death, not the death of commercials. Thanks.
Look at your thread title a little closer...
post #10 of 10 Old 11-20-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Look at your thread title a little closer...

Dno't you konw abuot taht sutdy whree as lnog as the fisrt and lsat lettres are corerct msot peolpe can stlil raed it?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page