AVS official 2012 BLACK FRIDAY and CYBER MONDAY SPECIALS deal thread! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 187 Old 12-03-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Well . . . Most of my ooh ahh moments are focused around Cablecard TV outside of WMC. My mentioning of Openelec was something I thought was really cool since tv guide data, playback, and recording scheduling could be done from within the Openelec environment but the livetv buffer and recordings were being performed on the TV server. Sort of like an easy way to make Extenders without actaully having to buy an "Extender," but retaining the playback flexibility of a sandy bridge / ivy bridge system with 4GB ram

From what you described as your situation, it's less impressive. List of what may be relevant to you . . .
  • built in iso support
  • decrypted blu ray support (folder, iso, or in drive with passkey/anydvd running)
  • Built-in Audio Engine for bitstreaming
  • Built-in refresh rate switching
  • Much larger list of addons that are both active and free (Rom Collection Browser)
  • Airplay target
  • Beyond slick Android/iOS remote control apps
  • Android remote pauses playback on incoming phone call and displays call info on screen

I'd recommend Frodo Beta 2

Never you knew you were already running XBMC/MB side by side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 187 Old 12-03-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 913
I'm mostly mediabrowser still. It's heavier so on budget builds I see XBMC being better performing but my HTPC and desktop are both beefy enough to handle mediabrowser well. I have been wanting to play more with XBMC but never get around to it because it's not easy to install stuff or mess around on my HTPC. It's pure HTPC and lacks a real mouse and keyboard. I am going to unhook it and bring it to my office for some updating and might do some more XBMC set up and optimization then.

I am very interested in iphone 4 remote.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #183 of 187 Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I'm mostly mediabrowser still. It's heavier so on budget builds I see XBMC being better performing but my HTPC and desktop are both beefy enough to handle mediabrowser well. I have been wanting to play more with XBMC but never get around to it because it's not easy to install stuff or mess around on my HTPC. It's pure HTPC and lacks a real mouse and keyboard. I am going to unhook it and bring it to my office for some updating and might do some more XBMC set up and optimization then.
I am very interested in iphone 4 remote.

Funny, all the text fields in XBMC offer on-screen input via arrow keys and enter. WMC handles this issue as well for all of its built in menu settings. Mediabrowser does not even have this on their radar from what I can tell. I can't imagine trying to setup mediabrowser with a remote smile.gif

I'm testing Openelec 3 beta (2.95.2) on a Vertex 2 60GB, G645, 4gb ddr3-1333, asrock h61m setup. It boots quick and plays everything handily, but I only have it connected directly to TV. I've not done any bitstreaming tests yet, and probably won't bother since I only have on AVR. The bitstreaming options are there, but I went with the newest beta for PVR support rather than HD audio.
post #184 of 187 Old 12-03-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Why openelec ???

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #185 of 187 Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Why openelec ???

Windows free, less updating, faster boot, cause I can smile.gif

I've got to see what I can get working. My HTPC/Server is still running WMC, Mediabrowser, MCM, XBMC, Plex, etc on Windows 7. I was just talking about a cheap playback option that I want to do everything
post #186 of 187 Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Is that something you could virtualize ?

-

post #187 of 187 Old 12-04-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

?? I was just happy that it would play on a different machine without windows

It's just a smart way to make a playback only device IMO since you could cut the cost of the windows license out. Same for XBMCbuntu, but I like the idea behind OpenElec since you boot straight to XBMC and only XBMC. Everything else is a plugin or addon

Before that I setup and got everything working on a Windows7 installation of XBMC 12 beta 2 (Main PC/HTPC/Server). I don't feel like getting rid of windows for the main HTPC/server since I already have it setup, and I'd have to find linux alternatives to the stuff I already use
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page