Screen flickering in WMC during video playback, have intel HD 4000 Graphics - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-18-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Please help. I just completed a new build for an HTPC and for whatever reason my screen is flickering during both live and recorded tv playback. It's like a muted strobing flicker, and it's not constant or every show/channel. I have no idea what to do, I feel like I have tried everything.

Here is the info on my build:

Case - Silverstone Grandia Series SST-GD05
Mobo - AsRock H77 Pro4-M Micro ATX
CPU - I3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHZ Intel HD 4000 Graphics
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2X4)
SSD - Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120GB
HDD - (2) WD Black 1TB
Cbl Tnr - Ceton Infinitv4
Optical - ASUS Black Blu-Ray/DVD
PSU - Antec BP350W

Everything else is running like a champ, just the screen flickering issue during WMC.

Thank you so much for any help. It's driving me nuts.

Case - Silverstone Grandia Series SST-GD05
Mobo - AsRock H77 Pro4-M Micro ATX
CPU - I3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHZ
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 X4)
SSD - Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120GB
HDD - 11TB WD
Cbl Tnr - Ceton Infinitv6
Optical - ASUS Black Blu-Ray/DVD
PSU - Antec BP350W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-18-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
What is the source?

What is the player?

I see you have an InfiniTV4, tuner. Some CableCo content has what is called the 29/59 bug. If you are looking at that, hit 411 INFO on your MCE remote and scroll through the pages. The last page will show you what the frame rate is. If it is switching between 29fps and 59fps at the same time the screen strobes, that is it. There is no known solution at this time on the HTPC end because it is mis-labled metadata on the content that is confusing the PC. The cable companies have no insentive to do anything about it because their equipment, as well as WMC extenders, do not show this issue.

post #3 of 10 Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had a similar problem and it drove me nuts until I figured it out. Go into the settings for your HD4000. Go to Media, then Image Enhancement, and uncheck the Adaptive Contrast Enhancement. Not sure why, but when this is checked I got all sorts of screen flicker. Hope it works for you!
heed316 likes this.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-19-2012, 07:18 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoorayforMe View Post

I had a similar problem and it drove me nuts until I figured it out. Go into the settings for your HD4000. Go to Media, then Image Enhancement, and uncheck the Adaptive Contrast Enhancement. Not sure why, but when this is checked I got all sorts of screen flicker. Hope it works for you!

+1. That worked for me too.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
^^ I toggled off "Dynamic Contrast Enhancement" in the nVidia Control Panel and it helped. A slight flicker is still apparent but it is a more watchable for sure.

An hour or two may still cause a headache, though but thanks!

post #6 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:

+1 ! Excellent thanks. I just bought the new Mac Mini (Late 2012 model) with Intel HD 4000. (Windows 8 Media Center, Ceton Cable card tuners) ((Native Win 8 via Bootcamp))

The random flicker was driving me nuts! Things are back to normal now thanks again.

Mac Mini (Late 2012, Ivy i7-3615QM/Intel HD 4000) Win 8 Pro x64 Media Center, 2 USB Ceton InfiniTV tuners + Companion iPhone App, XBox extender, MyMovies.dk WHS 2011 StableBit DrivePool, TIP: (DISABLE Intel Graphics Control Panel's Dynamic Contrast to prevent 29/59 flicker)
post #7 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 04:02 PM

Liked: 10
Hi jazjon,
Are you running Windows 8 with Media Center natively (bootcamp) or in a VM? I am running it using Parallels 8 - and wondering if I need to go the bootcamp way.
Thanks!
post #8 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 225
yup. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DshoUwqaop4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

yup. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DshoUwqaop4

Nice comparison video

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBullwyf View Post

Hi jazjon,
Are you running Windows 8 with Media Center natively (bootcamp) or in a VM? I am running it using Parallels 8 - and wondering if I need to go the bootcamp way.
Thanks!

Bootcamp (native Windows 8)

here's a how to video to disable Dynamic Contrast:
http://youtu.be/9g6Z1sWOOIA

The fix is also talked about here:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4022

Here's some good info for anyone that wants to try running Windows 7/8 Media Center in a VM.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2032

I don't think it's for me though, performance hit is not worth the amount of time using Media Center vs Native Mac apps. The only thing I want in Mac OS is iMessage and iMovie. iMovie will never work in VMware since you get the quartz extreme error.
You can't use iMessage in VM Mac OS but will as soon as the following fix comes out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm2XdBx1g4U
jazjon 1 week ago
"The whole reason I was about to install a VM for Mountain Lion was to use iMessage on my laptop. Looks like I have to wait for a fix since you said it's no longer working as of mid December. I subscribed for now! (standing by for the fun) Thanks for nice demo walk through videos."
Reply ·
MrZackehhSoul 1 week ago
"Don't worry, the issue has been fixed on Hackintoshes, we're just working on getting it fixed in Virtual Machines smile.gif"

Mac Mini (Late 2012, Ivy i7-3615QM/Intel HD 4000) Win 8 Pro x64 Media Center, 2 USB Ceton InfiniTV tuners + Companion iPhone App, XBox extender, MyMovies.dk WHS 2011 StableBit DrivePool, TIP: (DISABLE Intel Graphics Control Panel's Dynamic Contrast to prevent 29/59 flicker)
post #10 of 10 Old 08-10-2013, 09:36 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

+1 Fixed my flickering problem. Thanks.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page