HDHomeRun Prime Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-20-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm thinking about jumping into the HTPC arena and here's what I was thinking for the setup(updated PC will come later). I'm looking to watch HDTV as much as possible, but wiring the house is not an option.

Upstairs
Comcast Modem
HomeRun Prime Tuner
Asus RT-56U Wireless-N dualband router
HTPC
HDTV #1 - 50" 1080p
Roku
ONKYO S3300 stereo
Powerline 4port adapter

Roku, HTPC, and HomeRun plugged into ASUS router. Powerline will plug into router(is this necessary?) Primary TV watching through HTPC connected to stereo via hdmi(from ATI4620 video card) and 3.5mm to rca audio.

Downstairs:
HDTV #2 - 50" 1080p
X360
Powerline adapter

X360 and HDTV plug into 4port Powerline Adapter. Use X360 for live and recorded TV.

Other computers in the house will connect to network via Wifi, but will not likely stream TV.

One other note. Can I use an additional powerline adapter to connect computer in bedroom(other side of house) and watch TV?

Does this configuration sound plausible or am I missing something? I'm trying to get away from the cable boxes and add dvr capabilities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Sounds good. Powerline can be hit or miss though. Make sure you buy from somewhere that has a good returns policy.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Do you have a alternate suggestion? I know I have a Wireless N router, but I'm leery about relying on that for the connection. I thought about getting a wireless adapter for the x360 but thought powerline would be better option once I move modem and router upstairs.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by humblewarfare View Post

Do you have a alternate suggestion? I know I have a Wireless N router, but I'm leery about relying on that for the connection. I thought about getting a wireless adapter for the x360 but thought powerline would be better option once I move modem and router upstairs.

Cat 6 wired ethernet.

post #5 of 10 Old 11-20-2012, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

I would love to do that, but wiring the house for ethernet is not an option frown.gif
post #6 of 10 Old 11-20-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by humblewarfare View Post

I would love to do that, but wiring the house for ethernet is not an option frown.gif

Are you renting? If not, then wiring is still a viable option. It will take time and effort, but well worth it.

Is the house already wired for Coax? you can try and use MoCA adapters, but when you see the cost, you will lean towards just wiring with Cat5e or 6.

I have wired our old, mid-1950's, and newish mid-1970's house.

If you have forced air, you can run wires along the ducts, if you have plumbing upstairs, you can run wires along the pipes. If you have access to the attic and basement you can fish wires through there. Push come to shove, you cut/drill holes, pull wires and patch the holes if it is dry wall.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #7 of 10 Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

No we own the house. I'm sure you are right it can be wired, but will take work. I was just looking for any and all options the community knows of that would work given the situation.

I think for the moment, I'm going to go with the PowerLine option. Any models you would suggest? avoid? I'd like to stay as economical as possible.

Thanks for the advice!
post #8 of 10 Old 11-20-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Powerline is still dicey. MoCA is your next best bet but wired ethernet is what I've done in my old house.

post #9 of 10 Old 11-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I would give powerline a try and if it doesn't work, then look at the options. I'd do new wiring before moca though as you may run into problems with existing coax quality etc. Give some serious thought to running Cat5e/Cat6. You can terminate bulk wire pretty easily or buy pre-terminated from monoprice and patching drywall isn't that hard. You may also be able to hide wires behind baseboards or crown moulding as well.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-20-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

I just ordered my HD HomeRun Prime that should be arriving tomorrow. I plan on initially connecting it to the router and seeing what the signal strength looks like on the PC which is upstairs. The configuration listed earlier is likely the final set up once the additional TV and media stand have been purchased for upstairs. Im guessing once everything is purchased, the Powerline option will be used until I have the time to wire cat5 ot cat6 cable.

Any suggestions for Powerline makers to go with?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page