Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I recently built an HTPC with the following spec:

Realan E-I5 case, 120W DC with 84W adapter
Intel Pentium G860 3.0GHz LGA1155 65W
Silverstone NT07-1156 fan
ASRock B75M-ITX mobo
G.SKILL 4GB F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

It's sitting in a media cabinet (Techcraft SWD30) on the top shelf. My Comcast box is on the middle shelf and my Onkyo TX-SR604 on the bottom.

I'm running XBMC (Win7) with Aeon Nox skin. I notice when I first bootup it starts at around 30C and climbs to 55C. If I leave it on for several hours with the door closed it can get up to 82C (the case is damn hot to touch!). Note also I do have the CPU fan set to "quiet" (there is a switch on the fan itself). I'm using RealTemp to check temps.

Am I OK leaving things as is or are these temps going to cause some damage?!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Too much heat can shorten the life of electronic components, and yes, with those temps, I'd say things are a little warm. If the cabinet is pretty much sealed when the door is closed, there's no cool air coming in, and the hot air just builds up and is recycled through the case, making it warmer still. Add the heat generated by the other components, and with it rising to the top of the cabinet, it's not a good, long term solution. You may well not have any obvious problems, but I wouldn't be happy if the case is too hot to touch.

How many fans are in the case? You should have at least one bringing cool air in, and another venting warm air out. Your either going to have to remove the back panel, or at least drill some ventiation holes in it. You could always cut out a section and add a grill, which will at least allow the hot air to escape.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-20-2012, 12:48 PM

Liked: 14
At 60deg C you will feel too hot to touch. Many intel CPUs are rated at 75deg C or so. So over 80deg C is not good. The STB and power amp will give off more heat than the HTPC. The best arrangement from top to bottom should be STB, power amp and HTPC. I have an IR thermometer to take temperature measurements.

Change the HTPC fan setting back to default.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-20-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Thanks. I place a lot of emphasis on a "near silent" HTPC setup so I'm dubious about adding fans to my media cabinet. I think the best approach may be to bring the HTPC out of the cabinet and have it sitting on top. Fortunately the Realan case is nice looking so it shouldn't be an eyesore.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-20-2012, 04:31 PM

Liked: 14
I know what you mean. I'm using a passive cooling case for my HTPC.

If your STB is also a DVR, then it is always on and generates a lot of heat, about half the energy used by a frig. My Dishnetwork DVR ran so hot I added a fan to it in fear the HDD would fail otherwise.

This thermistor controlled blower ran very quiet. The newer AT&T Uverse DVR made by Motorola ran a lot cooler.

Many HT cabinets have half open back for ventilation and cabling. You can get thermistor controlled 120mm fans that only run faster when the temperature goes up.
http://www.amazon.com/Antec-120mm-SmartCool-Bearing-Variable/dp/B00009KH0C
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426014
I use these fans on my HDD rack in the media server.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page