Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongbowFoSho View Post

Anyways, thanks again!

Glad to hear it's working well.

I can report similar success with the margro build and latest NPVR updates now that I've had a chance to get everything updated and test it out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 04-20-2013, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dark Slayer, first off amazing guide as it got me through my initial setup. I am having a very minor problem with the playback as I lose high definition anything there is quick movement on the screen and there are multiple lines wherever that movement was. Anything you know of that could be causing this?
post #63 of 75 Old 04-20-2013, 12:00 AM

Dark Slayer, first off amazing guide as it got me through my initial setup. I am having a very minor problem with the playback as I lose high definition anything there is quick movement on the screen and there are multiple lines wherever that movement was. Anything you know of that could be causing this?
post #64 of 75 Old 04-30-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encompassed View Post

Sorry, been away for awhile, but even if I hadn't been I can't say I've experienced the same thing. Do you have your video settings in XBMC handy? Try setting deinterlace to "Auto" if not already
post #65 of 75 Old 04-30-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In other news, it doesn't appear the github pull request (1757) that margro's build benefits from has any sort of merge timeframe that I can understand

I had hoped to "wait" on updating things until after those changes were merged with the master so that the XBMC installation didn't require any "special" attention, but it looks like I'll just need to update things anyway

Interestingly I did a complete W8 reinstall not long ago to achieve GPT formatting and the "Ultra-fast" boot option in bios, so looking over my guide I see a few things missing or in need of update
  1. Current NPVR version is 2.6.2 and doesn't require any patches
  2. I went ahead and chose none of the NPVR prerequisites this time and everything works fine
  3. I have never added a screenshot showing that the windows firewall needs exceptions to be added for NRecord, NDigitalHost, and NPVR
  4. The margro windows xbmc build is the way the XBMC PVR should be experienced (fortunately for me, the mysql video library will sync up with OpenELEC 3.0)
  5. Still yet to dig into mc2xml with something like Titan
post #66 of 75 Old 05-07-2013, 06:41 PM

I'm not getting a picture or audio with nextpvr. I'm running 2.6.2 and I installed all the patches. The homerun quicktv app shows it fine. Any ideas?

Fixed it. Had to add nrecord.exe to windows firewall. Wonder why the program itself didn't add it? Seems to be a common problem from my google search.
post #67 of 75 Old 05-09-2013, 08:12 AM

Liked: 12
Dark_Slayer, thank you for these instructions. I don't own an HD HomeRun Prime but I have the basic OTA HDHomeRUn Dual Tuner and used your instructions to get it set up with Schedules Direct. Guide Data pulled into XBMC without a hitch. The highlight is the stability of Live HD OTA TV on my Raspberry Pi. It was a night and day difference. No buffering, audio studdering, no audio going out of sync, just perfect. This is all through Wifi. I applied those NPVR Patches from the site but not sure if that made a difference or not.

In the past I tested both NextPVR and Media Portal as backends and just recently moved back to NextPVR because of the simplicity of the interface. I have a question in regards to changing Channels with the use of Media Portal.

I used the Margro Build of XBMC 12.1 which allowed for fast channel switching. Now that I'm using Frodo 12.2 would those settings apply or would I have to revert back to the 12.1 Margro Build? I believe that particular build was specifically for use with MediaPortal as the backend, but considering the ease of use with Next PVR, I would much rather stick with this Backend.

Thank you.
post #68 of 75 Old 05-09-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post

Dark_Slayer, thank you for these instructions. I don't own an HD HomeRun Prime but I have the basic OTA HDHomeRUn Dual Tuner and used your instructions to get it set up with Schedules Direct. Guide Data pulled into XBMC without a hitch. The highlight is the stability of Live HD OTA TV on my Raspberry Pi. It was a night and day difference. No buffering, audio studdering, no audio going out of sync, just perfect. This is all through Wifi. I applied those NPVR Patches from the site but not sure if that made a difference or not.

In the past I tested both NextPVR and Media Portal as backends and just recently moved back to NextPVR because of the simplicity of the interface. I have a question in regards to changing Channels with the use of Media Portal.

I used the Margro Build of XBMC 12.1 which allowed for fast channel switching. Now that I'm using Frodo 12.2 would those settings apply or would I have to revert back to the 12.1 Margro Build? I believe that particular build was specifically for use with MediaPortal as the backend, but considering the ease of use with Next PVR, I would much rather stick with this Backend.

Many apologies, but my guide is a little outdated

Nothing that can't be fixed, but I probably need to replace the direct forum links with the generic download page http://www.nextpvr.com/downloads/

There are 5 "patches" available for the current 2.6.2 release, but they are really an "as needed if you have this problem" set of patches. It doesn't appear that any apply to your usage, so really just the 2.6.2 release could be downloaded and installed over your current release if you want to be updated

I agree that NPVR does have a nice lightweight simplicity to it. From my poing of view, NPVR is really focused on being a good DVR. It is capable of more, but that's not the focus. Mediaportal appears to be focused on being a full-blown interface.

So following over at the XBMC forums, Team-XBMC member Fernet-Menta had a pull request in git that was the basis for the margro build (1757)

As far as I can tell, that didn't make the merge window for the 12.2 release, but it is merged so a current nightly would have the changes. However, they mentioned that it was only the "basis" and that the "final piece" was not included in the merged pull request. Whatever that means is a mystery to me, but I have no real reason to upgrade to 12.2 anyway so I'm sticking with the margro build (12.1)

Also, the build was targeted to help mediaportal backend users, but the changes (minimizing the XBMC player's stream analysis) helped NPVR backend users as well. It's the build I'm sticking with until the same functionality is available in the master
post #69 of 75 Old 05-09-2013, 11:06 AM

Liked: 12
Ok Thank you. I will go ahead and drop down to 12.1. I was too ecstatic over the performance of Raspbmc that I completely overlooked the Channel switching fix from the Margro build. I figured downgrading would be the case but wanted to be sure.

Thanks again
post #70 of 75 Old 05-14-2013, 11:08 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Pre-read disclaimer: XBMC can look super nice, there are tons of threads showing how awesome it can look after customization. This is not one of those threads. I’m posting screenshots from a clean/stock installation of XBMC Frodo Beta to demonstrate that I’ve got live TV and recordings from Comcast working in XBMC on my main HTPC, and I’ve found that WMC can still watch and record live TV from the HDHomerun Prime
Why did you strike that part about WMC?
Can you not use both XBMC+NPVR on a windows machine *and* WMC? I am a comcast subscriber too, however I do get HBO (got a deal I couldn't pass up). So 7MC is the only way I know of to watch HBO on an HTPC. I'd like to get XBMC running on the same machine with LiveTV/PVR of some kind set up, so I can use XBMC for everything except HBO. Is this possible?

Thanks...

post #71 of 75 Old 05-22-2013, 11:52 AM

Hi All,

I have been struggling with where to put my nextpvr backend. I am not sure to co-locate it with my HTPC or with my File Server (NAS). I have tried other processes like couch potato and sickbeard on my htpc and it can impact performance (I think just network bandwidth). I am also concerned with nextpvr and background recording and feeding other clients from my main htpc and impacting my htpc user performance.

Another, question I have is what are considered to be minimum requirements with HD Prime and nextpvr doing High Def?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sean
post #72 of 75 Old 05-22-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Recording requires only minimal resources because NextPVR will just dump the stream to disk.
post #73 of 75 Old 07-18-2013, 05:39 PM

Liked: 11
I just started setting this up and Scanning takes forever with no results so far in 10 minutes, is it supposed to take this long?
I am also using HDHR Dual (Original one, 1st gen Gray box) will all settings be identical?
After trying everything, I could not get any channels, firewall, etc. alll tried..

No More Cable Box
Time Warner Cable NYC | ATI OCUR Cable Card Tuner | Windows Media Center 7 | Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter | HDHomeRun Dual | Unlimited Possibilities & Customization
KDL52W4100TV
post #74 of 75 Old 07-23-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran View Post

Why did you strike that part about WMC?
Can you not use both XBMC+NPVR on a windows machine *and* WMC? I am a comcast subscriber too, however I do get HBO (got a deal I couldn't pass up). So 7MC is the only way I know of to watch HBO on an HTPC. I'd like to get XBMC running on the same machine with LiveTV/PVR of some kind set up, so I can use XBMC for everything except HBO. Is this possible?
I struck that part because it stopped working. At first setup back in 11/2012 I was using the NPVR network recorder plugin (which is not as good for channel change and tuning channel speed) accompanied by SageDCT. Vladd and lockdown pointed out to me that NPVR had already bundled the necessary SageDCT components and the workaround wasn't necessary. I switched over, but couldn't leave WMC as the Main Application for the HDHomeRun Setup unless using the network recorder SageDCT workaround. That's why I scratched, and to answer the other question yes the only way to watch HBO on an HTPC through and HDHR Prime is with 7MC/8MC. What might work better is to use a skin like Aeon, Ace, etc with Quick WMC links to Guide and Recorded TV on the main menu. It should exit the WMC Guide and Recorded TV pages and go back to XBMC rather than the main WMC menu
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfman2002 View Post

I have been struggling with where to put my nextpvr backend. I am not sure to co-locate it with my HTPC or with my File Server (NAS). I have tried other processes like couch potato and sickbeard on my htpc and it can impact performance (I think just network bandwidth). I am also concerned with nextpvr and background recording and feeding other clients from my main htpc and impacting my htpc user performance.

Another, question I have is what are considered to be minimum requirements with HD Prime and nextpvr doing High Def?

Hi Sean, to make a probably wrong blanket statement I'll say that I can't think of anything currently available retail from Intel or AMD that wouldn't meet the minimum requirements for HDPrime/NPVR/HD except possibly the low-end atom setups. I've never used atoms, so I can't say. That being said, XBMC with NPVR is a little finicky on a single HDD, so if you separate your LiveTV buffer from your Recorder storage you'll probably encounter less issues (from personal experience that I didn't take a deep dive into to figure out why). I run and will continue to run the NPVR backend "server" on my server. It's where all the big-boy storage is, so it makes the most sense to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyedipin View Post

I just started setting this up and Scanning takes forever with no results so far in 10 minutes, is it supposed to take this long?
I am also using HDHR Dual (Original one, 1st gen Gray box) will all settings be identical?
After trying everything, I could not get any channels, firewall, etc. alll tried..

No it should never take that long. Are you sure you are getting signal into the Dual? Settings should be identical since it uses the same HDHomerun Setup and network tuner pooling (just not cablecard as far as I know). Does the QuickTV application from Silicondust playback channels without issue?
post #75 of 75 Old 08-15-2013, 07:31 PM

Hello,

I have been following this thread for the last few days and it had been really helpful in assisting me with tweaking NPVR to get it to work. My question is, I can't seem to locate NRecord.exe and NDigitalHost.exe on my computer to put exceptions in the firewall. Are these programs specific to Homerun? I am running an AverMedia dual tuner card. But I can't seem to find these programs on my computer at all. Is it required that I un-block them?

Nevermind. I found them in the NPVR folder. I did a search using the Windows built-in tool and it couldn't find them. So I assumed they were never installed or were specific to the HD Homerun.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page