XBMC Live TV and NextPVR Guide (targeted to Homerun Prime) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 75 Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Edit: When I first looked into this, I felt like there was a need for a step by step guide using NPVR. Now I've moved on from this setup and no longer wish to keep this thread up to date. If anyone wants ownership, send me a PM and we can get it changed to you. Otherwise, PVR integration will be added to the new XBMC sticky in this forum

AFAIK all the links in this thread have been deprecated

Frodo stable release has been available for a while now, so time to update this. I've been trying to weed through all the things that were problematic in the original experience with the beta software. A lot of my thoughts on this are listed under my 2/1/2013 Post

The original post used a different method of accessing the HDHR Prime through NextPVR, and some of the comments that follow these guide posts indicated it was no longer necessary. They were indeed correct, and since I used both methods I can honestly say that using the built-in tuner support is the faster method of tuning Live TV Channels in both NPVR and the XBMC NPVR addon

I pdf'd the original guide and attached for reference (but not really recommended)

The disclaimers from the first post are still mostly true, although now I've added a couple of screenshots at the end with the Aeon Nox skin. Each skin's EPG can look different, and of all the ones I've looked at the EPG looks the best in Aeon MQ4

Pre-read disclaimer: XBMC can look super nice, there are tons of threads showing how awesome it can look after customization. This is not one of those threads. I’m posting screenshots from a clean/stock installation of XBMC Frodo Beta to demonstrate that I’ve got live TV and recordings from Comcast working in XBMC on my main HTPC, and I’ve found that WMC can still watch and record live TV from the HDHomerun Prime

Second disclaimer: NO this will not work for any cable channels without the copy-free flag set. I don’t know what channels your cable company sets this way, but mine (Comcast) sets everything copy-free with the exception of movie channels (which I think are outrageously priced to begin with and don’t subscribe to anyway). The copy control information flag (CCI) is set by your cable company, but varies from region to region (and as Vladd mentioned can vary based on the content as dictated by the broadcaster, although I've not yet ever experienced any issue with this)

Now on to the fun . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The general steps
  1. Install NPVR and prerequisites
  2. Add firewall exceptions for NextPVR.exe, NRecord.exe, and NDigitalHost.exe
  3. Re-run HDHomerun Setup
  4. Setup Schedules Direct trial
  5. Configure NPVR
  6. Configure NPVR addon in XBMC
  7. Enjoy

To get started, use the latest NPVR release
http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?53816-2-6-2-available-March-24th

Their wiki is a great reference, and there are plenty of great guides already available there. I'm really just adding more pictures smile.gif For NPVR, check their pre-requisite page
http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=QuickStart.Pre-requisites

The software requirements seem a little outdated. I like to keep my software installations "minimal" so I only installed these two from the list
  • DirectX 9.0c runtimes
  • Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Runtimes
I'm not sure the other ones are necessary, but everything is running fine for me without them installed

The latest patches from their forums can be found at the following link, but none of these should be required at this time. The Microsoft DTV-DVD recorder patch would be great for W8, but your cable video is probably MPEG2 (Comcast or Fios) and the patch is only for H264
http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?53821-NPVR-2-6-2-Current-Patches-and-Getting-Started-info
Forgot to mention this the first time, but the NPVR installation folder (Program Files\NPVR) includes separate "Start/Stop the Network Recorder Service" exe files. You can also just use the typical Windows Services Manager and look for NextPVR Network Recorder. Use either method to stop the service before patching NPVR.

****IF you feel like one of the patches would apply to your setup, then just extract the patch's zip file to a folder and copy all the included files. Then go to your Progam Files\NPVR folder and paste them in order to replace the existing files (Done patching smile.gif )

*****THIS is when you should add windows firewall exceptions for
  • NextPVR.exe
  • NRecord.exe
  • NDigitalHost.exe
Do this after installation of NPVR and before re-running HDHomerun Setup. I should post a screenshot for this, will do later

Now go to the HD Homerun Setup software and change the Main Application (from the Application Tab) to NextPVR from WMC

I think that for now to get your channels all working in XBMC you'll need to use Schedules Direct. It'll give you a free trial to start. I only ask for guide data for the channels I actually receive, and if you do it this way you can easily edit your NPVR EPG later to only display these channels in XBMC. To do this go HERE and start a trial. I edited my listings by clicking each channel I don't subscribe to (I'm pretty fast with a mouse but this still sucked clicking everything one at a time)
post #3 of 75 Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now to setting up NextPVR . . .

Start by opening NPVR and right click anywhere on the page, then choose settings (no keyboard shortcut I'm aware of)

On the devices tab, you should see something like this (but with zeros in the channels column until you setup each tuner)
You should setup the same three tuners I used in the picture (HDHR DCR-2650) Click one with your mouse and then click the "Device Setup" option. On the Device Setup page click the "Scan" button (the first time will pull in more channels than are shown in my screenshot) click ok and repeat for the other two tuners (I think it asks if you'd like to copy the setting to the others)

Now to the really fun part. Setting up channels
The channels section of the settings page should look similar to this (but with all blanks in the EPG section)

The way I started was by selecting a channel that I know for sure that I receive (you should now this from Schedules Direct setup) then select Details. You'll see a window like the following where you can choose your EPG source (Schedules Direct). You'll have to enter your username and password

Once you successfully add Schedules Direct to one channel you can click "Bulk Map" and you should get a window like the following

Notice you have pulldown for EPG source in the bulk map menu. Once you select "Schedules Direct" a couple times in a row it will ask if you'd like NextPVR to "have a go" at mapping your Schedules Direct lineup to your channels. It worked perfectly for me, if it never presents that option you'll have to select that for each channel you want guide data for

The reason I edit my Schedules Direct listing is now easy to see in the following screenshot

After they are "bulk-mapped" you can easily see the channels you aren't subscribed to. You can easily pick each group of stations with no "Schedules Direct" next to them (Shift select) and click "Delete"

Deleting them will only keep them out of your NextPVR/XBMC guides. I like to keep my EPG uncluttered, so it only shows the channels we pay for

Now go to the recording tab of the settings tab and setup your Default recording directory. I just use "Edit" to change it from my C drive to where I want it to keep recordings

EDIT: If you are only looking to use XBMC the following steps in this post are not necessary. When I began, I felt that I needed to "see" things working in NPVR before moving to XBMC. It's a personal preference of mine, but if you wish to use only XBMC you can move on to post #4

Now come the decoders tab. Interestingly, I can no longer use the Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder for MPEG2 or H264 after upgrading to Windows 8. If you aren't upgraded to Windows 8 just use that (default for video) since it will tune your MPEG2 streams much faster than LAV video. If you're upgraded to W8, check the NPVR forums to obtain other video decoders and get Cyberlink's PDVD12 decoder. It's just as quick as Microsoft's for MPEG2 and comes well recommended. (None of this affects XBMC, but it is nice to verify things work in NPVR before moving to XBMC)

For Audio, I just use LAV for MPEG1 and AC3 with everything else disabled. If this doesn't match your broadcaster change accordingly, but if you assign a decoder to all 5 tuning a channel will take longer

Finally, move to the Misc tab of the Settings page and assign an appropriate location as your Live TV Buffer. I left everything else default

You should be able to click ok and go to the TV Guide on the main menu and tune a channel. If you want channel logos, you'll need to add individual images with the appropriate name to the channels directory. LINKYou can either edit their names in the channels section of settings or match the image names to whatever the channel shows up as in NPVR. It takes all kinds of sizes, but they need to be square if you want them to look consistent. The default skin and XBMC addon will both pull from the channels directory, which should be C:\Users\Public\NPVR\Media\Channels unless you're using XP
post #4 of 75 Old 11-21-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now go to the Addons section of XBMC Frodo. There should be a PVR section under "Disabled Addons" Select the NextPVR addon and then "enable"

Afterwards, mine immediately moved to the "Enabled Addons Section." Go to the enabled addons -> PVR -> NextPVR and bring up the menu again, this time select "Configure"

You can leave the settings at default if XBMC is on the same machine as NPVR, otherwise enter the IP address of the NPVR "server." There is only one option on the Advanced tab, which is "Enable Time Shifting with Live TV." This means you can pause a live TV feed while you are watching it. This is experimental, but I've had success with it enabled

Afterwards, go back to the main Settings page in XBMC and navigate down to the Live TV Settings. This is where you'll "Enable Live TV" in XBMC. I select all channel related options on the General tab as shown the following screenshot

The following setting adjustments have improved stability for me. Under the Playback tab of the TV Settings leave "Start playback minimized" enabled. I get a lot of lockups with it disabled. Also, up the "Timeout when starting playback" number (I use 16 seconds). This setting is how long XBMC gives the NPVR addon/server/tuner to communicate and begin playback. It doesn't require this much time, just lets it run this long before giving you a "Tuner Not Available" message.

Scheduling a recording in advance is pretty easy by going back to the main menu -> Live TV -> EPG:Timeline -> then click on a time slot that is in the future. You'll get a menu like the one below. If you select add timer, you should be notified that your recording is successfully scheduled

Another note on usability
  • If you start live TV from the "Channels" menu rather than the "Timeline" you can succesfully change channels before going "Fullscreen"
  • I try not to start live TV from the Timeline since it leads to more lockups
  • Make sure your deinterlace settings are appropriate or you'll either have jittery playback or stuttering

When a channel is playing bring up the "Video settings" from the OSD and set "Deinterlace video" to "Auto"

At first, I had deinterlace set to On because it was somehow off and 1080i channels looked very poor. However, some stations I receive are 720p, and the "On" setting causes very stuttery playback in this case. "Auto" works either way

Also, if you press "C" while watching a channel you'll get an On Screen guide, and I've found that using this to change channels has a much higher probability of success than quickly "Stopping" and attempting to tune a different channel. I've not had any success with PgDwn/PgUp, and very limited success with up and down arrows on the OSD

post #5 of 75 Old 11-21-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

UPDATE: The slides before this have all been recently updated, but these images are still somewhat applicable if you just wanted a "feel" for different things that "should" happen

Also, if you don't see a screen like this

when you startup XBMC then you've done something wrong.

You can navigate to Settings -> Live TV -> EPG and choose "Reset the EPG database" if you feel like the channel logos you've chosen or channels you've deleted are out-of-sync with NPVR. It will warn and ask if you are sure, and if you click yes you should see a similar "Importing From clients" status bar in the top right

post #6 of 75 Old 11-21-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Still to do
  • Schedules Direct Alternative
  • Much prettier guides
  • NextPVR "recording granularity"

NextPVR lets you flag recordings and send them to specific directories automatically. I haven't even used the much nicer guide add ons at this point

FWIW, this is a very actively developed community. I regret to say, but I see very little activity in WMC anymore. I like that I can keep it in place if something breaks, but it's not going to be as flexible in the long run unless Microsoft changes their direction with WMC

Old Guide - not recommended NPVR Network Recorder Guide.pdf 52k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NPVR Network Recorder Guide.pdf (52.4 KB, 56 views)
post #7 of 75 Old 11-21-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also forgot to include default Frodo Beta Audio settings if anyone is interested

Removed image, surely everyone has seen the audio settings by now biggrin.gif
post #8 of 75 Old 11-21-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Thanks for this! I've been meaning to set this up myself but I've been waiting for the XBMC NextPVR plug-in. One thing though, I don't think you need to do the NetworkRecorder thing. NextPVR's website is a bit confusing, and I made the same mistake. Support for the HDHomerun Prime is actually built-in now, and you don't have to do all those steps. Once you open devices in NextPVR, your three HDHomerune Prime tuners should already be there.
post #9 of 75 Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Thanks for this! I've been meaning to set this up myself but I've been waiting for the XBMC NextPVR plug-in. One thing though, I don't think you need to do the NetworkRecorder thing. NextPVR's website is a bit confusing, and I made the same mistake. Support for the HDHomerun Prime is actually built-in now, and you don't have to do all those steps. Once you open devices in NextPVR, your three HDHomerune Prime tuners should already be there.

That's what I did first run, and I had to start over. After setting up / scanning / configuring guide -> I went over to TV Guide and tried to play a channel.

It would lock the tuner (green light on the prime) but I couldn't get any playback. I had all the same configurations I mentioned above, but I couldn't get it to play.

That would have been way easier, so if you get it to work that way don't keep it a secret smile.gif

It's pretty easy to start over in NPVR
post #10 of 75 Old 11-21-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

That's what I did first run, and I had to start over. After setting up / scanning / configuring guide -> I went over to TV Guide and tried to play a channel.
It would lock the tuner (green light on the prime) but I couldn't get any playback. I had all the same configurations I mentioned above, but I couldn't get it to play.
That would have been way easier, so if you get it to work that way don't keep it a secret smile.gif
It's pretty easy to start over in NPVR

Well in my case, I couldn't get the method you described to work, and then after that I tried the built-in functionality and everything played back perfectly! Unfortunately, I haven't got bulk mapping to work for the EPG yet. NextPVR is definitely a bit finicky, and it made me realize how much I had taken WMC's ease of use for granted. On the initial install, there isn't even a decoder selected to playback video! I have had a number of these head scratching moments while trying to get NextPVR to work. It is in active development though!
post #11 of 75 Old 11-21-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well in my case, I couldn't get the method you described to work, and then after that I tried the built-in functionality and everything played back perfectly! Unfortunately, I haven't got bulk mapping to work for the EPG yet. NextPVR is definitely a bit finicky, and it made me realize how much I had taken WMC's ease of use for granted. On the initial install, there isn't even a decoder selected to playback video! I have had a number of these head scratching moments while trying to get NextPVR to work. It is in active development though!

When you started did Network Recorder or something like 1314C495-0 show up under devices?

If the latter, you had already scanned devices prior to configuring the network recorder plugin

Weird that it plays this way, but I'll give it another shot sometime. Does WMC still work for livetv? Did you un-install the HDHomerun software before setting up NPVR?
post #12 of 75 Old 11-21-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
NextPVR's built in support for the Prime requires the Silicondust software (the cli to be exact) which would be why you couldn't get it to work if you uninstalled it.

Excellent writeup though. I'm glad to see GB/N-PVR finally starting to get the recognition it deserves.
post #13 of 75 Old 11-25-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, I haven't got bulk mapping to work for the EPG yet

Are you trying Schedules Direct or a web-grabber for your EPG?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

NextPVR's built in support for the Prime requires the Silicondust software (the cli to be exact) which would be why you couldn't get it to work if you uninstalled it.

Thanks for clarifying, I still need to see it for myself smile.gif I still have the software installed and running on the bedroom HTPC, which is still using WMC/MediaBrowser since I haven't gotten around to completing the "transition." With both of you saying NextPVR works without the SageDCT workaround, I'll give it a shot. Probably won't happen for another week, but I'll update/amend
post #14 of 75 Old 12-08-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
whats your overall impression of this method, have you tried other backends with xbmc? How does this compoare to WMC. Where is ffwd and rwnd?

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #15 of 75 Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I'd definitely call WMC's PVR features polished and refined

In comparison, I'd call the NPVR backend in XBMC flexible and beta

I enabled the experimental timeshift feature, and it has been working fine. I used it on my main HTPC running W7 pro w/ XBMC Frodo Beta 2 (which is the server) and a separate HTPC running OpenElec 3.0 beta 2.

I like that I can extend the EPG, LiveTV buffer, and Recording storage from my "server" to builds running Openelec or extend them to any typical build of windows running XBMC. Similar to the idea of extenders without relying on SoC hardware, which of course opens the door for full audio/video decoding support with hardware of your choosing.

The negatives . . . Some might be that I used the SageDCT setup, and I will go back and re-setup later with HDHomerun and NPVR alone, but . . .
  • Changing channels without exiting back to the guide does not work at all
  • Tuner locking is not completely sorted out (it will on the same HTPC if I start a recording and tune a live channel)
  • To continue the tuner problems, if both HTPCs are trying watch live tv it sometimes locks up (as if they are reaching for the same tuner) this is without anything recording
  • The EPG appearance is largely controlled by XBMC, and repeat scrolling (holding right arrow key to go multiple days) doesn't show the day like it does in WMC (turbo scroll, picture LINK)
post #16 of 75 Old 12-10-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also, I tried Mediaportal

Currently only supports W7 32bit (I still tried it on 64 bit just for kicks, and couldn't get it going)

I didn't have any 32 bit installations lying around, but it looks like another solid backend if you do
post #17 of 75 Old 12-20-2012, 08:06 AM

Hey guys,

I am glad to have found this thread because I was beginning to worry that I wouldn't be able to find an easy to use PVR software to use with XBMC and the HD Homerun Prime. I tried the whole guide, both the original one and the one Dark_Slayer posted here, but I was unable to get this working. I had the following issues:
Quote:
Now go to the tuners tab (I opened a notepad file for this step, but record the information however you wish) and ensure that the “Enabled” checkbox is checked for each tuner. Record the port number for each tuner (none of them should be 6970)

When I looked at the port numbers, one of the tuners actually used 6970. Can I just go ahead and change the Sage start port, or should I leave that tuner disabled? I am not sure I can change the port on the HD Homerun? I eventually just disabled that tuner, but that did not make any difference either.
Quote:
Run Device Setup for Network Recorder, and hit the “Scan” button in the dialog that opens
Let it scan for channels

Using the NetworkRecorder plugin, I do not get a SCAN button after setting up the xml file for the recorder. I was never able to get this to work. I did import a channel listing from XMLTV (I believe that's what it was called) but there was no SCAN button.

After I had imported the channel list, and turned off the firewall I was able to get some audio from the tuner when watching livetv in NPVR, but I never got any picture. Any idea what this could have been?
Quote:

This does work, and that setup scans and finds channels in NPVR, but I still do not get any picture or sound on the LiveTV. I just get a black screen

Do you guys have any ideas how to get that working, because I would really to get this working when Frodo comes out of RC status

Thanks in advance!
post #18 of 75 Old 12-20-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post

This does work, and that setup scans and finds channels in NPVR, but I still do not get any picture or sound on the LiveTV. I just get a black screen
If you have a firewall running you need to add exceptions for the following programs:

NextPVR.exe
NRecord.exe
NDigitalHost.exe

If it still doesn't work, try to view LiveTV then zip and post your logs on the NextPVR forum.
post #19 of 75 Old 12-20-2012, 07:08 PM

Nice work and write-up Dark Slayer! I've been just starting to futz with xbmc as it seems MS is letting WMC go by the wayside. I've been testing XBMC to get some WAF. This looks like the next step to work in over the holiday break. Thanks for the detailed write-up.
post #20 of 75 Old 12-21-2012, 04:25 PM

Cixelsyd,

I think I'm going through the same issue as you. I'm trying to switch from WMC to XBMC+PVR to improve my WAF.

This is what I did to NPVR to get it working.

As vladd just said add those 3 programs as exceptions to windows firewall (or whatever firewall program you are using). I was still not getting audio or video so I played around with my decoders. HDHomerun spits out MPEG2 video in my area so I switched that decoder from ffdshow to Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder. I also switched the Audio Renderer back to default (I had changed it to something else earlier). After I made those changes everything worked.

BTW, thanks to all who have contributed to this post.

And for anyone else starting this from scratch today, you don't need to go through Sage to get NPVR working with HDhomerun Prime. There must have been an update in the last month or so.
post #21 of 75 Old 12-21-2012, 07:05 PM

One other note...When it comes time to select EPG source for your channels, if you select DVB/ATSC EPG you'll go unstable in XBMC. Schedules Direct is the only thing that seems to work at the moment.
post #22 of 75 Old 12-21-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsu jonno View Post

One other note...When it comes time to select EPG source for your channels, if you select DVB/ATSC EPG you'll go unstable in XBMC. Schedules Direct is the only thing that seems to work at the moment.
That's interesting. I'll have to look into that (and more importantly, have sub look into that). Would you mind providing a little more info:

1. What do you mean by "unstable"? Skipping, stuttering, black screen, crash?
  2. Have you tried an XMLTV based EPG source and does it cause it to be unstable?
  3. What tuning source are you using? DVB, QAM, ATSC?
  4. Are you using an RC or nightly build of XBMC?
  5. Are you using timeshifting? If so, does it only happen on timeshifting or on Live TV as well?
post #23 of 75 Old 12-23-2012, 10:28 AM

1) By unstable I mean as soon as I move my cursor down to EPG XBMC crashes. Reference this thread over at the XBMC forums for others having the same issue:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146994

2) I haven't tried an XMLTV EPG source. Just as a note, I'm using the HDhomerun Prime with cablecard so I'm looking for an EPG solution that gives me all channels, not just over the air. Not sure if XMLTV EPG supports that.

3) HDhomerun Prime

4) It crashed on RC1 and RC2

5) I have timeshifting enabled, but I haven't used it yet. This was happening on live tv.
post #24 of 75 Old 12-24-2012, 01:04 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks for this guide, but i'm stucking at this step
Quote:
FINALLY!! Go to the devices tab http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Configuration.Devices
Run Device Setup for Network Recorder, and hit the “Scan” button in the dialog that opens
Let it scan for channels

There is no "Scan" button for me.
post #25 of 75 Old 12-26-2012, 01:08 PM

I did not have a scan button either, but like Vladd said, actually do not have to do the long setup with SageDCT and all that other stuff to get it to work. If you leave the Silicondust tools installed NPVR will find the HD HomeRun Prime tuners, and you'll be able to scan them from there (individually, or copy the settings to the next one)

I also went back to leaving the encoders and decoders pretty much default because with the LAV ones it did not seem to work for me.

Once you add the firewall exceptions you should be able to watch live tv then.

Hope that helps!
post #26 of 75 Old 01-31-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll be improving this walkthrough over the weekend if setup and testing goes well

Some general thoughts . . .
  • What others confirmed about the un-necessity of Network Recorder and SageDCT is correct (in fact, pretty much anything vladd says about NPVR is correct smile.gif )
  • Channel change buffering and time to tune channels is not a NPVR problem
  • I reinstalled NPVR, removed SageDCT, and launched the NPVR app. Channel changes are quick and consistent (no crashes)
  • Move over to XBMC NPVR addon, and first channel takes longer than NPVR app to tune. Channel changes after that lock system up
  • Sub is a good responsive dev, and he's mentioned a few times that NPVR is getting info to XBMC in under a second
  • Accordingly, the problem is now thought to be with the internal player's handling of .ts video
  • I'll be resetting this over the weekend and testing with MPC-HC (supposedly better with .ts) as an external player
  • Fingers crossed

Some other thoughts . . .
  • What vladd mentioned about using an XMLTV source for guide data appears to have led to a lot of the "XBMC crashes at EPG" threads
  • I never experienced this using SchedulesDirect
  • On my quest to find Guide alternatives, there appears to be a zap2it2xmltv project that can use your Windows provided zap2it guide data for this purpose (haven't tried yet)
  • To make the guides prettier, Sub mentioned over in the XBMC forums where to load channel icons (by channel name i.e. cnn.png) and have them pulled with all other guide information to all xbmc instances. I'll try this out and add it in
  • I never had a problem with pausing live tv after adding Sub's nshared patch, nor did I have the odd problem of a "Growing" video file that some in the NPVR forums experienced.
  • Looking forward to testing and making XBMC my only frontend smile.gif
post #27 of 75 Old 01-31-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah yes I'm using XMLTV and it crashes at the EPG every time. Annoying.
post #28 of 75 Old 01-31-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll be resetting this over the weekend and testing with MPC-HC (supposedly better with .ts) as an external player
You could set NextPVR as the external player as well.

Sub and Martin (mvallevand) are looking into ways to improve the ts stream (specifically the PSIP data) so that XBMC behaves better.
post #29 of 75 Old 02-08-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll be improving this walkthrough over the weekend if setup and testing goes well

Some general thoughts . . .
  • What others confirmed about the un-necessity of Network Recorder and SageDCT is correct (in fact, pretty much anything vladd says about NPVR is correct smile.gif )
  • Channel change buffering and time to tune channels is not a NPVR problem
  • I reinstalled NPVR, removed SageDCT, and launched the NPVR app. Channel changes are quick and consistent (no crashes)
  • Move over to XBMC NPVR addon, and first channel takes longer than NPVR app to tune. Channel changes after that lock system up
  • Sub is a good responsive dev, and he's mentioned a few times that NPVR is getting info to XBMC in under a second
  • Accordingly, the problem is now thought to be with the internal player's handling of .ts video
  • I'll be resetting this over the weekend and testing with MPC-HC (supposedly better with .ts) as an external player
  • Fingers crossed

Things are now updated

To follow up on the above list, I installed MPC-HC with LAV and used a playercorefactory.xml file to change the default player of XBMC to MPC-HC. This indeed, played back recordings made by NPVR (.ts files) faster than default. However, nothing from LiveTV would playback. Everything stopped at the splash screen. All other videos played back perfectly with this configuration (even recordings) so it had nothing to do with the external player configuration or xml file.

Something within the default player and addon has notably improved since the first time I wrote this up and started using it. Since I like having the full OSD menu functionality I have no desire to find an "external player" solution for livetv, but I thought I would mention my experience and save others the trouble
post #30 of 75 Old 02-08-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Ugh, I really hate how the text is just floating in the EPG. Some simple borders around each program would have gone a long way. I think you can ameliorate this somewhat by getting genre colors to work in XBMC. Have you tried this? I think I tried it a while ago with no success.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page