HELP! No TV on Thanksgiving! I think its a Playready issue.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-22-2012, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I woke up this morning and found I had only a few channels and some errors from WMC saying it couldnt record because of no signal on certain channels (scheduled recordings). This does seem to happen once in a while. Although WMC doesnt tell me right off, from previous experience I assumed that Playready needed to be updated. (this happenes from time to time). So I rebooted the HTPC and when WMC starts it immediately tells me I have to update Playready. (like it usually does in these situtions). So I update Playreasy, it finishes and tells me it was successful and that I can now watch TV.

This time however, I still cant watch any copy protected channels. Which for me is just about everything after the networks. So I tried restarting WMC, no change. I rebooted the HTPC and again, as soon as WMC starts it tells me I have to update Playready. I just did that! UGH! So I updat again and it tells me again that it was successful. Again I triyto watch TV, No dice. I am stuck in a loop! I know some people have had issues where Playready would error and not update, but for me it says it HAS updated, but for somereason didnt.. not sure..

I tried a few things with no success. I tried uninstalling Playready and downloaded it through WMC. Same issue. I tried renaming the Playready file and running the update again. (had to start in Safemode to do this). My next sted is to try the DRM Reset Tool from Microsoft. But I am worried this might screw things up more. And if I use the Reset Tool, I may not be able to watch any previously recorded copy protected shows.

ANy advice would be helpful. I would really like to have this working today.

I am running Win 7 64 bit, Ceton infiniTV4 with a cable card from TWC in New England.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-22-2012, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Also, I forgot to mention, I have not made any changes or upgrades to this HTPC. I know changing hardware can "break" Playready. Nothing what so ever has been done to it.

Thanks!
post #3 of 7 Old 11-22-2012, 07:14 AM

I have solved issues just by deleting the contents of the PlayReady folder...

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady

ProgramData is a hidden folder so you'll need to make hidden folders visible in order to navigate to it with Windows Explorer.

You might also try what is suggested in this post.

Let us know the results.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-22-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Did you try a system restore? Try taking it back a few days

post #5 of 7 Old 11-22-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
i got play ready errors when i screwed around with different filters in the shark codec pack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #6 of 7 Old 11-22-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

So I tried thr DRM reset tool. No change. Even after running the security upgrade too. So I tried a restore point from a few days ago. Still no change. It did ask me to update playready again after the restore. I updated playready and it said it was successful (again). But stll no change... I did see that yesterday there was a critical update in Windows. This may have something to do with it. Not Sure.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-22-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Have you uninstalled any codec packs that you have installed? Also, try sfc /scannow

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page