AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Home Theater Computers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/)
-   -   *Best* FREE Photo Manipulation Software for non-HTPC (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1440657-best-free-photo-manipulation-software-non-htpc.html)

Brian B 11-22-2012 03:09 PM

Like my other posts...just cleaning house. In the past I had a copy of ACDSee but I feel like it is a hundred years old. I looked at Lightroom but it seems way more than I need. Paint.Net is free but slow to load and complicated like photoshop.

I just want to be able to view photos, crop sometimes, re-size and quickly pop between multiple photos. It would be important to have the ability to do batch (multiple files at a time) processes too. I.e. take 20 pictures and make them small.

Any recommendations on something free that doesn't have a bunch of advertisments all the time you open it?

Thanks,
Brian

olyteddy 11-22-2012 05:41 PM

IrfanView.

Mfusick 11-22-2012 06:11 PM

Picasa

Brian B 11-22-2012 10:35 PM

I think IRfan view is what I'm looking for. I'll download it and give it a try. Thanks!

B.

dksc318 11-22-2012 10:51 PM

XnView

DanPackMan 11-23-2012 09:17 AM

FastStone is good as well. Great viewing and batch processing options, and a basic editor. Add GIMP as an optional editor and you have a pretty powerful setup.

Brian B 11-23-2012 11:59 AM

Faststone looks like it requires at least two pieces of software to do viewing and resizing...so would prefer a single application. Same for XnView and Irfanview claims that they steal their processes...hmmm.

B.

ljo000 11-23-2012 01:32 PM

GIMP with David's Batch Processor plugin.

Brian B 11-23-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljo000 View Post

GIMP with David's Batch Processor plugin.

This looks to be way more than I need, but thanks for the look!

B.

ljo000 11-24-2012 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post

This looks to be way more than I need, but thanks for the look!
B.

Its actually really easy to use (the plugin) for batch resizing and minor touchups. Thats pretty much all I use it for.

DanPackMan 11-24-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post

Faststone looks like it requires at least two pieces of software to do viewing and resizing...so would prefer a single application. Same for XnView and Irfanview claims that they steal their processes...hmmm.
B.
Nope, the "viewer" name is deceiving. It has built in re-sizing, renaming, etc individual and batch capability as well as viewing. Very nice viewing options IMO. You can use the built in editing, or set it to open any editor you want when you hit the"e" key.
Built in editing includes cropping, red-eye removal, framing and masking, color shifting, text and drawing, etc. I am an extensive Photoshop user but use this tool to navigate and do the basic tasks.

I highly recommend you try it out.