Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
My comcast speeds vary greatly.

I am supposed to get 20MB service but rarely do.

Advice?

Would upgrading or replacing my modem help ?

Is there a way to hack it or improve it or something ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are you wired or wireless? Those advertised speeds only happen with a wired connection.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
check line quality, smoke pings(dslreports tool)/run your own, modem/signal logs(discuss on dslreports comcast forum)
post #4 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm wired guys.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post

check line quality, smoke pings(dslreports tool)/run your own, modem/signal logs(discuss on dslreports comcast forum)

How?

More info please?

-

post #6 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

modem logs depending on your brand http://192.168.100.1/cgi-bin/status_cgi (any questions i go to http://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcast
smokeping http://www.dslreports.com/tools (but it only pings at long intervals like 30 min?
you can run your own ping software(ex: pingplotter) and ping every 15sec (i had to do this for some comcast line issues, because smokeping didnt catch my dropouts)
or you can call/chat w comcast https://www.comcastsupport.com/ChatEntry/ have them check the line (although the cust svc doesnt really check line just signals afaik)
any problems these real comcast techs can sometimes help https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect
post #7 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Problem with comcast residential plan is that the data cap per month is 250gb.
If you go business class at home, u get unlimited data.. either get a 50mps line or a 100mbps line.
On my 50mps line a 1 gb file takes 3 mins to download. its like 7-8 mb per sec.
I downloaded around 9Tb of data last month. No issues with them at all.
They will provide you a high end modem which is really well built and constant internet speed. Dont use wireless for ur desktop.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

post #9 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Have Comcast check the line. If that doesn't help get a business account, which gives you traffic priority.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Have Comcast check the line. If that doesn't help get a business account, which gives you traffic priority.

+1

Check with Comcast to see if there is a provisioning or line problem.

When I moved from Verizon DSL to Comcast, I got the Blast service for 50 down and 10 up. When my service was set up, there was a disconnect and for some reason I was provisioned for the Performance plan 20 down and 5 up. I had to go in circles with them for over an hour with multiple reps before it was resolved.

How are you measuring your line speed? I used two online speed checkers: www.speedtest.net and speedtest.comcast.net

As far as those stating you won't get the promised speeds you've purchased going over wireless are just over simplifying things. Depending on your wireless setup and environment, you can achieve better performance than what your ISP is giving you. On my setup, I was able to do speed tests with the above sites over wireless and get results for the maximum I was provisioned for which is 50 down and 10 up. I also did an internal speed check and transfered a 111 MB file doing a simple Windows file copy. Windows reported that I was doing 80 Mbps over my wireless connection. I feel the limiting factor behind these results is my laptop's I/O capability with respect to the hard drive and my ASA 5505 firewall. I think I can probably improve those numbers on a new laptop and going over my GigE infrastructure.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

I have one at my office. Business account.

The problem is the cost is much higher.

I pay like $60 I think for 20mb service at home

It's slower speed for business and costs $79

But I never see my advertised speed at home anyways.. so... ?? lol.

-

post #12 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonHung View Post

+1
Check with Comcast to see if there is a provisioning or line problem.
When I moved from Verizon DSL to Comcast, I got the Blast service for 50 down and 10 up. When my service was set up, there was a disconnect and for some reason I was provisioned for the Performance plan 20 down and 5 up. I had to go in circles with them for over an hour with multiple reps before it was resolved.
How are you measuring your line speed? I used two online speed checkers: www.speedtest.net and speedtest.comcast.net
As far as those stating you won't get the promised speeds you've purchased going over wireless are just over simplifying things. Depending on your wireless setup and environment, you can achieve better performance than what your ISP is giving you. On my setup, I was able to do speed tests with the above sites over wireless and get results for the maximum I was provisioned for which is 50 down and 10 up. I also did an internal speed check and transfered a 111 MB file doing a simple Windows file copy. Windows reported that I was doing 80 Mbps over my wireless connection. I feel the limiting factor behind these results is my laptop's I/O capability with respect to the hard drive and my ASA 5505 firewall. I think I can probably improve those numbers on a new laptop and going over my GigE infrastructure.

yes I used speed test dot net.

Yes I am wired. Gigabit Switch between my HTPC, Server and PC. Linksys crap router off a modem before switch. Router feeds the wireless for laptops and devices.

I'm talking desktop download speeds. Only thing I care about really. HTPC and Server don't use internet connections much. Laptops for web surfing.

My copy paste speed between my desktop and HTPC or Server is near 100MB/sec

That's not even close to a download speed. It's not even in the same territory.

I have Intel Lan in my desktop. Wired. It's an Asus Deluxe Z68 Mobo. It has dual lan.

My problem isn't wires, or switches or cheap LAN cards.

It's comcast.

How can they tell what service you pay for ? How can my speed just be increased if I pay for more ????

I'm wondering if my cable modem is old or crappy.

-

post #13 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Comcast can provision the speed you get by programming their network equipment to allow up to a certain max based on the service you purchase. Since you're not getting the speeds you're paying for, you need to contact Comcast and have them troubleshoot your circuit. The only problem is that they do not have to get you the max you're paying for. If you look at residential service, the wording is up to 20 Mbps. If you want a guaranteed level of service, you'll have to pay for business class service.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonHung View Post

Comcast can provision the speed you get by programming their network equipment to allow up to a certain max based on the service you purchase. Since you're not getting the speeds you're paying for, you need to contact Comcast and have them troubleshoot your circuit. The only problem is that they do not have to get you the max you're paying for. If you look at residential service, the wording is up to 20 Mbps. If you want a guaranteed level of service, you'll have to pay for business class service.

Thanks.

Good explanation

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page