Case: Grandia 08: $155.00- New Egg
PSU: Antec Neo 400c: $29.99- New Egg
MOBO: ASROCK H77mATX $69.99- New Egg

Intel 330 180GB- MicroCenter
WD 2TB HDD- MicroCenter
Pioneer DBR 207 MicroCenter
Cucial 8g 1600 MicroCenter
**Intel i3 3225 MicroCenter

I purchased the MicroCenter products today for $320.00 bringing my grand total to $574.98 for the build. I still have to purchase Windows 7 or 8 and the TV tuner. All together I still have another $300 left to go. As far as Windows goes with 8 being on sale and cheaper than 7 any chance those bugs are worked out yet? Are there any regular reports Windows 8 not being compatible with some of the major software that I will have to use with my HTPC. This could save me $30-$40.

** I decided to go with the i3 3225. Of all the components of this build, this was the one that troubled me the most. I went from thinking about getting the g630 to the g850 to the i3 2100 to the i3 3225 back to the g630 115 times. While I do not plan to do any 3D or gaming in the immediate future, the fact that I kept on reading quotes when compared to other CPUs such as "you can't REALLY tell the difference between....or "This SHOULD be as good..." or even the whole not being able to produce 24mhz or 23.7...MHZ (whatever the refresh rate argument that was circulating on the web) but "SOME people can't really tell the DIFFERENCE" were all signs to me that there was in fact a difference. While some on this board will righfully argue that I now have a CPU that is overkill for a HTPC, I will be able to sleep comfortably everynight knowing that I have more than enough CPU is worth $20-$50 extra.

Thoughts, questions, advice, Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-23-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 761
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844

3tb FOR $89 BACK UP

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 27 Old 11-23-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I bought the Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 for $99 and it came with 8GB (2x4GB DDR3 1600mhz G.Skil) DDR3 RAM. I am going to use for my WHS server.

How much was the RAM at Microcenter?

That's a great price ($69) for that board. It's a nice choice for a HTPC.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 27 Old 11-23-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tuners on sale at newegg BTW.

That CPU is perfect choice! You'll be glad you got that. Perfect balance of everything IMO.

-

post #5 of 27 Old 11-23-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Are you going to use mediabrowser or XBMC ?

-

post #6 of 27 Old 11-23-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think I will dabble with both. But from what others have said, MB is just easier to navigate than XBMC. I figure the wife and kids would migrate to MB first. Why do you ask BTW?... anything special that I should know? Thanks

As far as the 3TB for back up. This is where the softward RAID comes into play and where one HDD needs to be Larger than the other HDD. I do have one question about the MOBO because I know it does have RAID "something" and by something I mean I see the word RAID pop up in the manual. I have really paid to much attention to it but does it mean it is predisposed to do software RAID and or hardware RAID? I know you (Mfusick) are a big proponent of software RAID.

Having said all of this, I still want to get the OS first before I purchase extra HDDs.
post #7 of 27 Old 11-23-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 356
RAID levels supported by MB chipset are traditional ones such as RAID 0, 1, 5. Parity calculation in RAID 5 is done by CPU, so it's "software" RAID. Hardware RAID means that there is a dedicated processor/memory for this purpose. The point is not SW vs. HW but that these traditional RAID levels are not so suitable for media storage (data are striped over all disks, so RAID array failure may result in losing the entire data, all disks must be of the same size in RAID 5, otherwise you lose space, etc.). Non-traditional RAID solution such as FlexRAID, SnapRAID, unRAID is recommended (they work in software mode, of course).
post #8 of 27 Old 11-23-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post

I think I will dabble with both. But from what others have said, MB is just easier to navigate than XBMC. I figure the wife and kids would migrate to MB first. Why do you ask BTW?... anything special that I should know? Thanks
As far as the 3TB for back up. This is where the softward RAID comes into play and where one HDD needs to be Larger than the other HDD. I do have one question about the MOBO because I know it does have RAID "something" and by something I mean I see the word RAID pop up in the manual. I have really paid to much attention to it but does it mean it is predisposed to do software RAID and or hardware RAID? I know you (Mfusick) are a big proponent of software RAID.
Having said all of this, I still want to get the OS first before I purchase extra HDDs.

I do like software RAID. I've used HARDWARE RAID as far back as the late 1990's when I had a 40GIG system drive in windows 95 and two 40GB storage drives in RAID 0.

It used to provide a nice boost in speed with mechanical HDD's. I did dual Raptors in RAID0 before SSD was available. But hardware RAID is a performance solution or enterprise solution. It's not a very good solution for a media server for the reasons Renethx explained.

You only get a performance boost- at the expense reliability with RAID 0. It's a good option when appropriate. I use two 1TB HDD's in RAID 0 as a download storage drive in my main desktop. They get tons of use daily. But nothing on that drive is critical - it all gets moved to the server for that. If I lose a drive at any time, I'll live. I mainly do this here only because I already owned the two identical samsung 1TB's and to me 1TB is too small to be a single drive these days anyway- so why not double the size of the drive to 2TB and make it faster ????

I would totally stay away from hardware RAID in a media server. To do RAID with security you end up needing double the amount of drives- which can increase cost.

I think I explained in PM why I thought FLEXRAID made sense.

You only need 1 drive for parity. So one drive can back up your 5 storage drives. You would need 10 HDD's with RAID5. That's $400 about in extra drives.

Flexraid is pretty easy to set up. It allows you to pool your drives into one drive. I do this. I'd rather have one 20TB drive than 10 different 2TB drives where I need to know and navigate to go find what I am looking for.

With flexraid- You can set it up on windows 7 or WHS2011 OS... it works great. And- You can add HDD's that already have data on them. I had a decent collection of movies before I upgraded to flexraid so wiping my drive clean or losing my data was a concern for me. You can also remove a drive from flexraid and your data is still on that drive too.

Just a note:

Your parity drive is called your PRU. For this "backup" drive it must only equal your largest drive. It does not need to be bigger. So if you have 3TB data drive, you would need a 3TB Parity Drive. usually you use the biggest drive you own, or buy one that is as large as you plan on installing in the future. For me this was 3TB. Next rebuild I'll probably upgrade that to 4TB but now there is not enough value there for me. I'm not buying 4TB drives yet.

You can remove a Parity drive in flex raid or replace it with a larger anytime. Only you lose protection against failure until your rebuild is done. It can take a while with 3TB drives. (hours and days)

-

post #9 of 27 Old 11-23-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Case: Grandia 08: $155.00- New Egg
PSU: Antec Neo 400c: $29.99- New Egg
MOBO: ASROCK H77mATX $69.99- New Egg
Intel 330 180GB- MicroCenter
WD 2TB HDD- MicroCenter
Pioneer DBR 207 MicroCenter
Cucial 8g 1600 MicroCenter
**Intel i3 3225 MicroCenter
I purchased the MicroCenter products today for $320.00 bringing my grand total to $574.98 for the build. I still have to purchase Windows 7 or 8 and the TV tuner. All together I still have another $300 left to go. As far as Windows goes with 8 being on sale and cheaper than 7 any chance those bugs are worked out yet? Are there any regular reports Windows 8 not being compatible with some of the major software that I will have to use with my HTPC. This could save me $30-$40.
** I decided to go with the i3 3225. Of all the components of this build, this was the one that troubled me the most. I went from thinking about getting the g630 to the g850 to the i3 2100 to the i3 3225 back to the g630 115 times. While I do not plan to do any 3D or gaming in the immediate future, the fact that I kept on reading quotes when compared to other CPUs such as "you can't REALLY tell the difference between....or "This SHOULD be as good..." or even the whole not being able to produce 24mhz or 23.7...MHZ (whatever the refresh rate argument that was circulating on the web) but "SOME people can't really tell the DIFFERENCE" were all signs to me that there was in fact a difference. While some on this board will righfully argue that I now have a CPU that is overkill for a HTPC, I will be able to sleep comfortably everynight knowing that I have more than enough CPU is worth $20-$50 extra.
Thoughts, questions, advice, Thanks

Grandia 08 is a very nice case. Don't as renethx- he hates that case wink.gif (kidding)

Motherboard is very appropriate and well priced. Nice job!
PSU is very appropriate and well priced. Nice Job!

Intel makes good SSD's, HDD is a HDD- so no complaints there. I assume its a green. That's a nice blend of power savings and heat/noise reduction if so.

Pioneer DBR 207 I am not familiar with. If it has RIPLOCK or DRM you can reflash it, or change the region code or jumper.

How much was the Crucial Ram ? (I have RMA more crucial memory than I have fingers, but I also bought and own that DDR3 too.)

3225 is perfect choice.

I'd say all the questions you asked and the waiting/research you did really paid off. That's a nice build from the hardware side of things.

On the 24bug and Intel- I think it's all BS. It's splitting hairs, and 3D or that are poor reasons to choose a CPU over another. Most times the better solution is adding a video card, which the Grandia will accept. So you have room to grow if you want to get more accurate and extreme with things like reclock, SVP, MadVR or whatever...

I think a Pentium with a video card might be better than a i3 integrated. But I am not sure. renethx probably knows that better. Your paying for the better HD video in the 3225 and if you use a card then it's a waste.

Since your planning on using integrated graphics I'd say you made a very good choice. You can do 3D too, which you would need a video card for with a lower CPU also.

-

post #10 of 27 Old 11-23-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Why is so much power needed to do perfect video on a htpc anyways? I got to believe there is a POS CPU in my DVR.
post #11 of 27 Old 11-23-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Right! Your getting it. The nit picking and ultra critical crap you read around here is scientific perfectionists...

I don't notice anything. I just play videos.

I have a pretty nice system.

I have a 55" plasma and a OptomaHD33 projector. I don't do 3D.
I just use intel integrated graphics over HDMI to my Denon AVR3312 - which has dual HDMI outs. One to TV one to projector.
I have nice Polk Audio LSi speakers and a subwoofer.

I honestly can't tell the difference in a video of a bluray from my HTPC or a disc played on my Samsung bluray player. I've tried it a few times.

I have to believe my set up is as nice as most ordinary folks around here. I don't see anything wrong.

I had the G630 CPU in my HTPC, and recently upgraded to the 3570k. Again- almost no difference between those two CPU's.

No difference in Speed or PQ that I can see. I guess I stepped up from HD2000 to HD4000 graphics in the swap from G630 to the 3570k but hell if I can tell the difference.

You made a nice choice in the CPU you got. Good on power. Good on efficiency. It has room for you to grow. Anything more you would not get i5 or i7 anyways... you would get a nice video card and add to your i3.

Your good.

I am starting to play around with MadVR and SVP and 60hz... on my desktop which has video card and i7. I might get sucked into that.

But I am not a very picky watcher... It all looks and sounds good to me. I remember spending $10k 12 years ago on a DVD based system that is no where near as good as mine now. So I guess I have just got numb to all this.

I don't own a cutting edge TV so perhaps I can't see it. It all looks great on my 100" 1080p projector screen.

-

post #12 of 27 Old 11-24-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Why is so much power needed to do perfect video on a htpc anyways? I got to believe there is a POS CPU in my DVR.
It has to do with software decode versus hardware decode, if the software player and drivers are very efficient at offloading the video to the graphics card the cpu does very little. You can see this with amd's zacate, it can play all video that is supported easily but anything that has to be done by the cpu chokes. Even ARM chips can now easily display supported video formats. Anyways anything more powerful then a 2.0ghz core 2 duo can software decode all common video formats. The real stresser for HTPC's is streaming HD video using flash or silverlight, both of which aren't doing a good job offloading to the graphics core, basically blame microsoft and adobe.
post #13 of 27 Old 11-24-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

It has to do with software decode versus hardware decode, if the software player and drivers are very efficient at offloading the video to the graphics card the cpu does very little. You can see this with amd's zacate, it can play all video that is supported easily but anything that has to be done by the cpu chokes. Even ARM chips can now easily display supported video formats. Anyways anything more powerful then a 2.0ghz core 2 duo can software decode all common video formats. The real stresser for HTPC's is streaming HD video using flash or silverlight, both of which aren't doing a good job offloading to the graphics core, basically blame microsoft and adobe.

Ok, but I shoulnd't necessarily run into this issue with watching live TV via a centon infinitv 4 or ripping and then playing my Bluray and DVD movies right?
post #14 of 27 Old 11-24-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, but I shoulnd't necessarily run into this issue with watching live TV via a centon infinitv 4 or ripping and then playing my Bluray and DVD movies right?

Na, you should be able to do everything with your cpu.
post #15 of 27 Old 11-24-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 230
post #16 of 27 Old 11-25-2012, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Nothing wrong with your cpu choice.
Nothing wrong at all! My HTPC still runs an E6300 Wolfsdale 2.8 gig core 2 duo. And I often record 4 streams at once with the Ceton.
post #17 of 27 Old 11-25-2012, 10:58 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

The real stresser for HTPC's is streaming HD video using flash or silverlight, both of which aren't doing a good job offloading to the graphics core, basically blame microsoft and adobe.

A few years ago I connected a laptop to my TV and that setup still does everything well except for problematic streaming video from YouTube (Flash, html5), Netflix (Silverlight), Huluplus (Flash), and other sites. So I stream what I can through a Roku and a WiFi enabled BD player. What I don't want to do is go through the trouble of building my first HTPC only to continue having problems streaming internet video. In the Adobe Flash forum there's a big topic where many people with newer computers are reporting CPU usage hitting 100% even while playing 480p video. In the Vudu forums, people who installed Vudu2go which uses Adobe AIR can't play the videos they bought from Vudu, without seeing many dropped frames. If I tried to build my first HTPC I would be tempted to throw money at both a CPU with integrated graphics AND a video card, hoping that one or the other would be capable of hardware rendering and hardware decoding the internet streams. It would be an experiment, not a sure thing, so until internet streaming video improves generally, I for one won't be pulling the trigger on building a HTPC. Thanks for the discussion.

post #18 of 27 Old 11-25-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonywaist View Post

A few years ago I connected a laptop to my TV and that setup still does everything well except for problematic streaming video from YouTube (Flash, html5), Netflix (Silverlight), Huluplus (Flash), and other sites. So I stream what I can through a Roku and a WiFi enabled BD player. What I don't want to do is go through the trouble of building my first HTPC only to continue having problems streaming internet video. In the Adobe Flash forum there's a big topic where many people with newer computers are reporting CPU usage hitting 100% even while playing 480p video. In the Vudu forums, people who installed Vudu2go which uses Adobe AIR can't play the videos they bought from Vudu, without seeing many dropped frames. If I tried to build my first HTPC I would be tempted to throw money at both a CPU with integrated graphics AND a video card, hoping that one or the other would be capable of hardware rendering and hardware decoding the internet streams. It would be an experiment, not a sure thing, so until internet streaming video improves generally, I for one won't be pulling the trigger on building a HTPC. Thanks for the discussion.

I can tell you that my quad core llano streams HD hulu and netflix perfectly, no hint of a hickup. My Sandy Bridge core i5 can of course also handle HD streams but its a beast, my understanding is basically any dual core sandy bridge or ivy bridge will stream HD hulu and netflix without hickup.
post #19 of 27 Old 11-25-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think OP was confusing very good HD 1080p playback with full audio- that delivers Near bluray player quality and experience vs PERFECT PLAYBACK with MADVR and video interpolation at 60fps vs 24fps with a time audio video sync for perfection.

If you want to take 24fps and run 60fps - you need to create new imaged on the fly.. like SVP. If you want perfect clock sync of audio video and all that... The demands can get pretty heavy on a CPU/GPU... and your going to need some beef.

I would say i7 + upper level video card stuff. Not your $400-$500 in hardware HTPC most are building here.

But that's totally different than playing a movie.

For playing a movie in 1080p- I can't tell a difference between my G630 CPU or my 3570K CPU I upgraded to in my HTPC. Nor is it any better on my i7 desktop with Video card. It all looks exactly the same to me when I am just casually watching.

-

post #20 of 27 Old 11-26-2012, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I think OP was confusing very good HD 1080p playback with full audio- that delivers Near bluray player quality and experience vs PERFECT PLAYBACK with MADVR and video interpolation at 60fps vs 24fps with a time audio video sync for perfection.
If you want to take 24fps and run 60fps - you need to create new imaged on the fly.. like SVP. If you want perfect clock sync of audio video and all that... The demands can get pretty heavy on a CPU/GPU... and your going to need some beef.
I would say i7 + upper level video card stuff. Not your $400-$500 in hardware HTPC most are building here.
But that's totally different than playing a movie.
For playing a movie in 1080p- I can't tell a difference between my G630 CPU or my 3570K CPU I upgraded to in my HTPC. Nor is it any better on my i7 desktop with Video card. It all looks exactly the same to me when I am just casually watching.

Here is the link to the Optical Drive-
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Computer/Computer+Drives/BDR-207DBK

As far as HD Audio is concerned, wouldn't my AV receiver take care of this since i would be bit streaming my audio signal to the receiver. Having said this, so this work as well for the video, I know my receiver has some high end video processer in it, so it should make my picture even better.
post #21 of 27 Old 11-27-2012, 05:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No the picture can be effected by HTPC.

Your mostly right about the audio. Advantage of current set hardware and software set ups with remux video containers is that audio and video is split up - yes you can bitstream the audio over hdmi to your AVR. Advantage being skipping decoding and processing on the PC side and remaining immune to distortion or interference in transmission very unlike analog audio signals. Typically pc circuits are made for digital duties and processing - and do it well. But unless you get a very high end sound card the analog side of things leaves a bit to be desired. In contrast most home theater receivers are made exactly for this duty- converting digital audio and playing it back in high fidelity and sound quality. So in addition to the simplicity and cost effectiveness of not needing a sound card or and wires to run audio signals - HDMI bit stream audio is preferred for good sound quality. Assuming the audio signal is arriving intact to your AVR then your personal sound quality is only limited by your AVR and system. While a $15,000 processor with super high end DAC and circuits and a high end power amp and speaker combo probably sound best - most any consumer level affordable AVR receiver handles the duties well and does a pretty good job.

video however can be effected by processing or signal being sent. You can control or manipulate many aspects of your video and control or effect PQ quality.

Things like your frame rate (fps) or resolution can have very obvious effects on PQ.

Hope that helps.

-

post #22 of 27 Old 11-27-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Btw- your drive looks good.

Also,

I should have been more clear in relation to your original concern over CPU processing power.

It takes very little CPU to play back a video file without significant changes. Easy to understand way to say this is just playing a 720p or 1080p video file back via popular player.

Where the processing power is needed is only when you want to significantly monitor, change or control the video on the fly like SVP or whatever.

Going from 24fps to 60fps can take some calculating and that needs to be done before the interpolated or created frame hits the screen.

High end video systems also run 3D and some run 4k pixel so it's only on the very top scale these things are an issue.

For normal folks like you and I we usually just want to play the video back in good PQ quality. That process probably uses 15% or less of your i3 to do.

-

post #23 of 27 Old 11-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I just ordered that same MB, CPU combo for a silent / fanless build I've got coming up. I was hesitant to buy such a cheap board ($59) to go with that CPU but it seemed to have everything I needed. I'm glad to hear positive reviews from some of the people who's opinion I respect around here. I completely lost my mind the other night after one too many Jack & Cokes and I blew my kids inheritance on this case.

post #24 of 27 Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post

I just ordered that same MB, CPU combo for a silent / fanless build I've got coming up. I was hesitant to buy such a cheap board ($59) to go with that CPU but it seemed to have everything I needed. I'm glad to hear positive reviews from some of the people who's opinion I respect around here. I completely lost my mind the other night after one too many Jack & Cokes and I blew my kids inheritance on this case.

Link ?

-

post #25 of 27 Old 11-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
http://www.hd-plex.com/H5.S.html

With a Pico PSU & the IR bundle it came to around $360 but I did get free shipping W00-H00!

post #26 of 27 Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
The thing with HTPC's is that CPU requirements are static. It only changes when something new appears on the horizon, like x265. An I3 or Celeron, you'll be set for a long long while. All that being said, when Haswell appears, I just might upgrade my Sandy Bridge system.
post #27 of 27 Old 11-30-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think CPU have actually exceeded the need for them. Meaning- even a basic Sandy CPU can do just about anything. You don't need a top level CPU for a basic PC.

Perhaps a workstation, or a gaming PC. But not for a normal PC. most HTPC duties are easily handled with a $50 CPU.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page