How to watch HD cable TV on my iMac? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-23-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are my options for getting my HD cable TV signal into my iMac? I'm guessing I need some kind of tuner or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-24-2012, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
for OSX, you'll need a TV tuner, such as the Silicondust HDHomerun. You'll need software, such as EyeTV, which is the most popular and kind of the standard in OSX.

Windows is the samething, but you'll have more options. You may even have Media Center included, so no extra cost.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-24-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

for OSX, you'll need a TV tuner, such as the Silicondust HDHomerun. You'll need software, such as EyeTV, which is the most popular and kind of the standard in OSX.
Windows is the samething, but you'll have more options. You may even have Media Center included, so no extra cost.

I also have Windows8 running using Parallels on the Mac if it would be better for me to use a Windows based DVR solution.

Also, can I have multiple windows open on the computer showing different channels? I would like to be able to view say three football games at once.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-25-2012, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Really if you want Cable HD, you will need to use windows, since only Windows Media Center supports any programming flagged as "copy once". And many cable systems flag everything! I believe FIOS doesnt flag anything, but that wont last, I am sure.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty11 View Post

I also have Windows8 running using Parallels on the Mac if it would be better for me to use a Windows based DVR solution.
Also, can I have multiple windows open on the computer showing different channels? I would like to be able to view say three football games at once.

Media center is a full media suite. You can watch live TV, DVR and have EPG. The nice thing about it, it was included in Windows 7. You may be able to get media center for free in Windows 8. If not, it's $10. I don't know how well it'll working in parallets; I'm not sure if you mean dual boot or VM. I only have a limit knowledge on OSX. I can do easy installs of programs. I can open, use, and close programs.

EyeTV is like Media Center for OSX. Last I knew, it was $80 if you bought online. There is no trial. There is also SageTV (OSX and Windows) and MythTV for OSX.

As for multiple windows sessions on the same machine, that's really dependent on the software you're using. Media Center doesn't have it. You can watch one program, and record another. But no watching two programs at once. I believe EyeTV does have picture-picture. Siicondust, the maker for HDHomerun, had a live TV program called QuickTV. There is a easy hack for it that will let you run multiple sessions. Each session is it's own window. It's been a while since I tried it, but I believe they had sound on each window, so you had to mute one.

I'm knocking OSX or anything. Like above, I would suggest using Windows over OSX in regards to the HTPC only because there are a lot options in software and Windows supports things such ad HD audio. I've used OSX in an HTPC. The software they have works and well, but it's got it's limits; Windows software does too.

This video is shows comparison live TV via HDhomerun (HDHR2), build in TV tuner, and NFL Game Pass (online broadband Sunday Ticket like service). The HDHR runs better when I don't have multiple HD videos going.

As you can see, in the lower left corner below the TV is a Mac Mini (late 2009, 266gh D2C, 4GB ram), which I was running Windows 7.

There are other issues eluded to above such as what cable services you subscribe. I only have limited basic, so I can whatever comes out the pipe. If you have standard or above, and want to get them on your PC, you'll need a tuner with a cablecard, such as HDHomerun HDHR3CC. You'll get that for your TV service provider. Some TV tuners require specific cablecards; the HDHR uses a M card. Comcast requires some TV tuner adapter too. If you're limited basic, just connect the cable to your TV without the box, if you have one, rescan your channels on the TV and you'll see what you'll get.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page