FREE windows 8 bluray solution for HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 11-23-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok there has got to be some solution for a free windows 8 blu ray player. I tried to do the VLC solution but it crashes as soon as I try playing an encrypted disk.

I refuse to pay a dime to cyberlink since I just bought this bluray player and their OEM version will not support windows 8. Which is complete cramp because this like other programs are forcing you to buy a new software right off.

Anyone have any suggestions on this? And I know how to make mkv's and I do when needed, but this is for my HTPC that I want to have an easy plug and play solution for when someone other then me wants to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
There aren't any. I'd get AnyDVD HD which removes any DRM from BD discs and then use VLC to play (which in theory, should work fine).
post #3 of 33 Old 11-24-2012, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You'll never find any 'free' solutions, as the Blu-Ray governing body has to issue keys to all vendors who sell software to decode blu-rays, and that has a license fee associated with it. The nearest you'll get is, as has already been pointed out, AnyDVD HD (or DVDFab PassKey) which remove the encryption, allowing players such as VLC to (sort of) play the content.

AnyDVD is a great purchase, and you won't regret it.
post #4 of 33 Old 11-24-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Why is the price for anydvd hd only in pounds?

Also this just decrypts the bluray and itie played in another media player?

Any other opinions out there? This is crap that I have to pay for this since it is a dying breed anyways. Ill just go back to DVDs if that is the case.
post #5 of 33 Old 11-24-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaidin43 View Post

Why is the price for anydvd hd only in pounds?
Also this just decrypts the bluray and itie played in another media player?
Any other opinions out there? This is crap that I have to pay for this since it is a dying breed anyways. Ill just go back to DVDs if that is the case.

The real crap part is that because of copy protection it seems like you have to keep repurchased blu ray software. My blu-ray rom came with a crippled version of powerdvd, it worked fine but as soon as I upgraded my system I couldn't use it anymore. They also seem to stop supporting older versions of their software after a while, basically to force you to buy another license. In my opinion the state of blu-ray on the PC is really bad and is probably pushing a lot of people to learn how to hack or pirate which is ironic because the reason blu-ray is a pain is because of Sony's fear of piracy.

By the way, I'm also basically skipping blu-ray because of this. Like you I either just rent DVD's or stream HD from amazon or netflix. The days of going to blockbusters and renting a new release are coming to an end anyways.
post #6 of 33 Old 11-24-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
post #7 of 33 Old 11-24-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Playing Bluray on any windows 7 or windows 8 PC for free is very easy. Your doing it wrong.

Step 1: Use MakeMKV (free) and copy to HDD
Step 2: Play with any free player like VLC or Shark007/WMC (HD AUDIO)
Step 3: PROFIT

The major benefit is if your lazy like me you don't have to get off the couch to put in a disc, and you don't have to worry about scratching it or losing it.

Storage costs $.03 per gigabyte. THREE CENTS!!! Think about that for a second. That is .03 x 25GB = $.075

Yes it actually costs you less to store the bluray on your HTPC permanently than it takes in gasoline $ to drive to the store where you purchased the disc. Well, perhaps not if you have hybrid or live next door to store but you get the point right? It costs you about the same as the cost to drive you car a few miles.

I make this point because I often see peoples value system broken on these matters.

For some odd reason people think it's "expensive" to get storage when it's really pretty cheap. If you buy a 3TB HDD for $89 that's basically .03 a GB. If you leave blurayMKV untouched you can get 100 bluray discs on that HDD if average movie is 30GB. So it's less than a dollar per.

For me- I've already done so much and spent so much for my HTPC that the slickness and WOW FACTOR of having the album art, meta data, and ultra cool library browser to show off and play with makes it worth the cost. It's the same effort to put a movie in and run MakeMKV as it is to get up, put disc in bluray player, navigate the horrible menu system- and play the disc.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #8 of 33 Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Lol @ asassin. You fast!

Great minds think alike.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #9 of 33 Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4090069&cid=catalog20038&segid=4400002&onyxcampaignid=&promo=&dcs_action=&url_coupon=&storeKey=&mapcounter=1

$39 for windvd this weekend, thats a more reasonable price anyways. I just can't stomach paying more for software than a stand alone player.
post #10 of 33 Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

For me $10 is my limit for bluray software.

I do use MKV, the issue is when people rent a Blu-ray Disc from red box and want to watch it on the HTPC (I built it instead of buying a NAS system, an Apple TV, and a Samsung bluray player) they don't understand not do they normally want to wait to have it transcoded.

Powerdvd 9 opens and then crashes in media player in windows 8.
post #11 of 33 Old 11-24-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do use MKV, the issue is when people rent a Blu-ray Disc from red box and want to watch it on the HTPC (I built it instead of buying a NAS system, an Apple TV, and a Samsung bluray player) they don't understand not do they normally want to wait to have it transcoded.

yup, I'm the redbox guy.
post #12 of 33 Old 11-24-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

I've looked at anydvd hd but it just decrypts the disc. I am looking for a player, not something I can jus strip the protection.

I am simply looking to find a free player so I can play the disc. Otherwise I am going to have to quit using blurays all together and go back to DVDs.

The cost for streaming HD or the cost for buying bluray software is stupid and no way will I pay to apply hardware I have already bought.
post #13 of 33 Old 11-24-2012, 12:55 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

I've looked at anydvd hd but it just decrypts the disc. I am looking for a player, not something I can jus strip the protection.
I am simply looking to find a free player so I can play the disc. Otherwise I am going to have to quit using blurays all together and go back to DVDs.
The cost for streaming HD or the cost for buying bluray software is stupid and no way will I pay to apply hardware I have already bought.

Once the protection is stripped, MPC-HC can play it fine albeit without the menus. That's not such a bad thing with all the junk that gets skipped, though.
post #14 of 33 Old 11-24-2012, 01:29 PM

Liked: 18
Buy a cheap stand alone player for those rental disc. Waaaaay cheaper and easier solution.

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

post #15 of 33 Old 11-24-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Playing Bluray on any windows 7 or windows 8 PC for free is very easy. Your doing it wrong.
Step 1: Use MakeMKV (free) and copy to HDD
Step 2: Play with any free player like VLC or Shark007/WMC (HD AUDIO)
Step 3: PROFIT

and play the disc.

Dont you still need anydvd running in the background to get MakeMKV to work?
post #16 of 33 Old 11-24-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
You don't need anydvd for makemkv. Makemkv does the decrypting.
post #17 of 33 Old 11-24-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfett View Post

Buy a cheap stand alone player for those rental disc. Waaaaay cheaper and easier solution.

One more piece of hardware to have on the TV stand. Trying to keep it to what I have. MKV works but always has captions when I copy it over.

Has anyone had any luck playing blurays through VLC 2.0?
post #18 of 33 Old 11-24-2012, 02:36 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

One more piece of hardware to have on the TV stand. Trying to keep it to what I have. MKV works but always has captions when I copy it over.
Has anyone had any luck playing blurays through VLC 2.0?

One more piece of equipment...and one less headache if you ask me. People go round and round with this question. There is just no simple/free software solution for HTPC Blu Ray disc playback. Either your gonna pay for software (not cheap) or end up ripping the disc to a HDD.

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

post #19 of 33 Old 11-24-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4090069&cid=catalog20038&segid=4400002&onyxcampaignid=&promo=&dcs_action=&url_coupon=&storeKey=&mapcounter=1
$39 for windvd this weekend, thats a more reasonable price anyways. I just can't stomach paying more for software than a stand alone player.

Wow, downloaded the windvd trial on 64bit win7 and when I try to launch it I keep getting scrit error message and then the program crashes. Good job Corel, and I was planning on buying it.
post #20 of 33 Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone see powerdvd 12 for under 20$? The newegg listing is showing it as over $30.
post #21 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Newegg finally posted the $19.99 for powerdvd 12 ultra.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832117020

Not an ideal situation but worth $20 bucks if it will last me a couple of years until people figure out this whole mess or blurays disappear.
post #22 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I'm wondering if anyone here in the forums has tried this http://lifehacker.com/5621471/how-to-enable-blu+ray-playback-in-xbmc

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67420

I think we can disregard the [ Linux ] header from the XBMC tips/tricks forums since people have reported it working fine within windows. Not sure of MakeMKV with Windows 8, but the top google hit within the makemkv forum titled "MakeMKV will not work with Windows 8" appears to have been resolved by Mike.

There is no menu support, and it takes the same amount of time as MakeMKV traditionally takes to decrypt a disc (usually anywhere from 10 seconds - 2 minutes) but free blu ray disc playback can be more worthwhile than waiting 15-35 minutes to watch the ripped file. Seeking also seems to muck things up, so it's a play/pause only method for now
post #23 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

MakeMKV works perfectly fine for me on Windows 8.
post #24 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

MakeMKV works perfectly fine for me on Windows 8.

Good to hear that reinforced . . . Have you ever used it to playback a blu ray disc from the drive in XBMC with the plugin I linked to? I haven't tried this yet, but it's definitely on my list of things to do
post #25 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Good to hear that reinforced . . . Have you ever used it to playback a blu ray disc from the drive in XBMC with the plugin I linked to? I haven't tried this yet, but it's definitely on my list of things to do

I have not tried using the XBMC plugin. It's much easier to use a dedicated blu-ray player for discs IMO. Blu-rays often contain multiple versions of the movie (deleted scenes, director commentary, extras, etc.). Since makemkv doesn't doesn't know which track is the main feature, it would make blu-ray playback pretty clumsy. I can deal with that when ripping, but when I just want to play the disc it would be pretty annoying.
post #26 of 33 Old 11-27-2012, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

So Passkey lite worked for the three discs I tested tonight. Pretty cool, just run on startup and xbmc's play disc feature handles playback of blu ray disc!! All free, I've got to donate to these groups soon
post #27 of 33 Old 12-08-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok there has got to be some solution for a free windows 8 blu ray player. I tried to do the VLC solution but it crashes as soon as I try playing an encrypted disk.
I refuse to pay a dime to cyberlink since I just bought this bluray player and their OEM version will not support windows 8. Which is complete cramp because this like other programs are forcing you to buy a new software right off.
Anyone have any suggestions on this? And I know how to make mkv's and I do when needed, but this is for my HTPC that I want to have an easy plug and play solution for when someone other then me wants to use it.

Quote:

I'm wondering if anyone here in the forums has tried this http://lifehacker.com/5621471/how-to-enable-blu+ray-playback-in-xbmc
I think we can disregard the [ Linux ] header from the XBMC tips/tricks forums since people have reported it working fine within windows. Not sure of MakeMKV with Windows 8, but the top google hit within the makemkv forum titled "MakeMKV will not work with Windows 8" appears to have been resolved by Mike.
There is no menu support, and it takes the same amount of time as MakeMKV traditionally takes to decrypt a disc (usually anywhere from 10 seconds - 2 minutes) but free blu ray disc playback can be more worthwhile than waiting 15-35 minutes to watch the ripped file. Seeking also seems to muck things up, so it's a play/pause only method for now
Quote:

yeah, I use tto use this plugin all the time, it was pretty awesome, it took about the same amountof time to load as a stand alone BD player. Plus its just really cool to be able to pllay one inside xbmc. I'll have to try the passkey solution out, wish people would post that they dont know of any solution instead of flat out saying there arent any.

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #28 of 33 Old 12-08-2012, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

$10.00 doesn't cover the fees that are paid to the BDA for licensing players.

Looky here!
post #29 of 33 Old 01-27-2013, 06:55 AM

Liked: 11
This article will guide you to download and place the AACS and BD+ DRM libraries and keys in order to play Blu Ray on Windows 8 with VLC for Free.

Step 1: Install the latest nightly of VLC 2.0: Go to: VideoLan,then download the latest version for your system.

Step 2: Download the Blu-ray playback addon pack from: here, and install the Key file from addon pack – “KEYDB.cfg”

Windows 8 – [place in folder named "aacs" located in appdata directory]
* Open your user area (start->”your username”)
* Enable view hidden files and folders (Organise->Folder and Search Options->View{tab} and select “show hidden files…”->select ok)
* Open “AppData” directory
* Create a folder and name it “aacs” {no quotations}
* Place the KEYDB.cfg file in this folder directly from the unzipped Blu-ray playback addon pack.

Step 3: Download Install AACS dynamic library for VLC to use:

Windows 8 32bit: put that file in your VLC directory
Windows 8 64bit: put that file in your VLC directory

Windows 8 – [Place in VLC program directory]

* Open “Computer”
* Open “Local Disk (C:)”
* Open “Program Files” [Or "Program Files (x86)" if running 64bit]
* Navigate to “VLC” directory
* Move appropriate file from unzipped Blu-ray playback addon pack to this directory (file located in “aacs/windows 32″ directory in pack)

Now, you can easily play Blu-Ray disc with VLC on Windows 8 64-bit or Windows 8 32 bit for free. Note: VLC 2.0 still doesn’t have menu support yet.

Tip: If VLC still can't help you play Blu-ray disc movie on Windows 8, you could visit here to learn more.
post #30 of 33 Old 01-27-2013, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I don’t know how its Blu-Ray player compares to PowerDVD or WinDVD Pro (I’d be interested to hear about that!), but Fry’s has Nero 12 Platinum for $15 after rebates right now with free shipping. Two stamps for mailing the rebates adds one dollar; plus, if you live in California, you’ll also have to pay Ca sales tax on the pre-rebate price.

Fwiw, Nero 12 Platinum is much more than just a Blu-Ray player; it’s a huge suite of audio and video related programs.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page