Best way to distribute my cable throughout my home. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-24-2012, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I am looking for distributing cable tv (which I currently pay for) throughout my home without the use of cable boxes at each TV. I would like a central DVR and everything run from that. I have an iMac which is also running Windows 8 via Parallels. I also have a Dell desktop which is currently not used. I would like for everything to run on the iMac, as this is my most used computer, but could pull the Dell out to be a dedicated HTPC.

One option that looks like would work, involves purchasing and HDHomeRun Prime and using Xbox 360's as media extenders. I don't however, have ethernet wired throughout the house, so I do not know if that would be a viable solution. I know I have seen wifi dongles for the Xbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-24-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 772
wifi won't stream 1080p across your home well. You need a wired network.

And usually you want a dedicated PC to act as the server in your case. You don't want to share a highly used PC.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 14 Old 11-24-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

And usually you want a dedicated PC to act as the server in your case. You don't want to share a highly used PC.

How does HDHomeRun do it when hooked up to say an Airport Extreme and distributed over wifi?
post #4 of 14 Old 11-24-2012, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty11 View Post

How does HDHomeRun do it when hooked up to say an Airport Extreme and distributed over wifi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Don't know how to say it any clearer...rolleyes.gif
post #5 of 14 Old 11-25-2012, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

It doesn't stream 1080p. Also, if you have three or more tuners going on HD, that's a lot of bandwidth. I run all my HT computers, particularly the one I use for recording, on 1Gbps Cat6 cabling. Personally, I didn't think I'd ever record three shows at a time, but I've recorded more than that at times (I have a two channel HD homerun and a three channel Prime).

Bob
post #6 of 14 Old 11-25-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Also you prob want windows on you HTPC or server pc.

It's just more options both software and hardware. It's cheaper and easier I think, ad you have tons more products to choose from.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 14 Old 11-25-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Ok cool. Thanks for the info.

Starting to put some pieces together with this info.

So like I said, I have a Dell Desktop which is just sitting. This can be my dedicated HTPC.

I have learned I either run wire or us 500gbs network over powerline.

Questions:

I will want to view the TV channels on my iMac and pull recordings from the HTPC. Like I said, the iMac also has Windows 8 installed on it. What will be the best way to do this?

What is the best way for me to access the HTPC and change channels from the TV in the other room. This would need to be user friendly as the misses will be using it as well.

Is HDHomeRun Prime the best tuner for this application?

Thanks!
post #8 of 14 Old 11-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Ok cool. Thanks for the info.
Starting to put some pieces together with this info.
So like I said, I have a Dell Desktop which is just sitting. This can be my dedicated HTPC.
I have learned I either run wire or us 500gbs network over powerline.
Questions:
I will want to view the TV channels on my iMac and pull recordings from the HTPC. Like I said, the iMac also has Windows 8 installed on it. What will be the best way to do this?
What is the best way for me to access the HTPC and change channels from the TV in the other room. This would need to be user friendly as the misses will be using it as well.
Is HDHomeRun Prime the best tuner for this application?
Thanks!

It doesn't totally matter which HDHomerun you use. The Prime is a better choice is you're keeping cable and want access to encrypted channels or you need more than two tuners.. The HDHR3CC has three tuners.

To share, I would set up your homegroup in windows 8. Then just tell which libraries to share. In Media Center, do the same.

I'm not clear about your channel question. Basically, each machine will act as it's own cable box. Your recordings can just be located in a central location or share throughout the house if you set up your libraries as such.

And despite what was said above, you can stream 1080i video over WiFi. I do it. It's really sensitive to radio interference. I do all my PVR on a machine that is wired so I don't have to worry about the radio interference. It should be noted, the 1080i streams do use a lot of bandwidth. Thus, if you're wanting to stream multiple channels at once, you're going to want to be on the gigabit LAN setup, which will give you some extra headroom. I have recorded and watched two shows that were 1080i at the same without issue. One machine was doing the PVR and was the live feed. I think you would need a more powerful machine if you were using media extenders such as an Xbox 360 to watch live feeds; I think the live feed is fed to a PC with media center first, so that machine may need the power to feed live TV and PVR a show/move at the same time.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Plus, if you're going to have more than four tuners, you'll need something like TunerSalad to get over that limit; it allows up to twelve.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-25-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

For the change channels question, I'm confused on how, if I have the HTPC in another room of the house with the HDHomeRun Prime connected to it, how I change channels in the living room TV from this tuner.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The extender (xbox360 in your case) will take care of that. The extender is connected to your HTPC and will communicate the channel changes requests.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

For the change channels question, I'm confused on how, if I have the HTPC in another room of the house with the HDHomeRun Prime connected to it, how I change channels in the living room TV from this tuner.

The prime connects to your router

Multiple HTPCs can request to lock one of the three HDHR Prime Tuners for either Live TV or a recording. Multiple HTPCs will require their own individual Live TV buffer directory as well as a recording storage directory

Extenders are linked to an HTPC. They can request their own live tv feeds for the channels the HTPC receives, and they can also manage the HTPCs recording schedule. Once an extender adds a recording, it will be the HTPC that actually records the channel.

I like the Prime the most since I use 2 HTPCs, a laptop, and possibly a tablet in the future (assuming they develop something similar to Elgato for Android)

If I were serving TV to different rooms using extenders, it would probably make more sense to go with the InfiniTV since you get more tuners per cablecard
post #13 of 14 Old 11-26-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post

The extender (xbox360 in your case) will take care of that. The extender is connected to your HTPC and will communicate the channel changes requests.

Oh ok. So can I use a remote control with the XBOX to change channels just like I would with my STB?
post #14 of 14 Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

Oh ok. So can I use a remote control with the XBOX to change channels just like I would with my STB?

Yes

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/accessories/universal-media-remote

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911122
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page