I just bought This Bluray drive...... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-26-2012, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A few days ago. I saw the price and I jumped on it(32.00). It turns out that this Drive is bare. Not sure what that means besides not coming with the proper sata cable and no software. I think I have a handle on the sata cable seeing how my power supply comes with about four of them, But I don't quite no what to do without the proper software. I tried calling LG to try and get them to send out something but they were closed. Is there some free software I can use for this drive or is it going to cost more then the drive itself? If anyone can tell me what I'm going to need and maybe a estimate of the cost involved that would save me a headache. If it's going to cost to much I can just refuse the order when it arrives in a few hours. Please help and thanks for listening.

Adam

http://www.lg.com/us/data-storage/lg-UH12NS29

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136252

LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal 12X Blu-ray Combo Drive Model UH12NS29 - OEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You will need special software to play Blu-ray discs besides the Blu-ray drive. There are 3 commercial programs that support Blu-ray. They are PowerDVD Ultra, WinDVDPro and Total Media Theater (TMT). The latest versions are PowerDVD Ultra 12, WinDVDPro 11 and TMT5. There are freeware solutions but they take some knowledge to setup. Given the fact that you don't even know what a Sata cable is, I'd refuse the package. That being said TMT5 does have a demo available.

But there's a lot more needed in terms of hardware and background knowledge to play Blu-ray than just the software package and Blu-ray drive. For example, is your monitor/ TV and video card HDCP compliant? HDCP is a way to protect a Blu-ray from being copied. If not you will have to buy another program like AnyDVDHD to get around it. Then there are the compatibility problems caused by the Hollywood studios Digital Rights Management (DRM) another way to prevent you from copying the Blu-ray. Really, using Blu-rays on a computer is a royal pain. You'd be much better off with a standalone player.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Your the Best! Thanks for the quick response. It's getting denied. O yeah, where do you get off saying I don't know what a Sata cable is?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:28 AM

Liked: 10
I just bought a bare Pioneer drive, and it is actually perfect for my setup since I have a standalone player that I mainly use for playing blurays. I mainly use my HTPC for ripping and storage and Make MKV works pretty well for that. If I ever get rid of my standalone player I'll just buy the software, but it's nice to have the option of not spending more on a drive for software I don't need.

Your power supply will probably have a bunch of SATA power cables attached to it but you still will need a SATA data cable that connects it to your motherboard.