Okay so was online asking questions about making a flexraid server/desktop but along came the b stock sale of the JVC RS45. That wiped my budget for the server but I have now amassed enough for a HTPC.
So I want to plug the HTPC into my Marantz AV7005 preamp
Question 1) Will the sound go through the hdmi or will I need to use toslink? IF toslink how do I get around the problem that some newer audio formats don’t go through toslink?
Goals of the HTPC
1) Watching blu rays
2) Watching videos from an external hd of various formats
3) Streaming netflix
4) Using a nice interface like xmbc to present the stored media
5) Listening to music be it CD, mp3, flac etc
Question 2) can PCs handle SA CD?
6) It would be nice if the PC had 2 hdmi outputs as I have a LCD monitor that I would like to hook up as well so I don’t have to use up the bulb of the projector when doing mundane chores and what not
7) Light gaming…. I have an xbox but wouldn’t mind stuff like diablo or more likely RTS like Star Craft 2 (absolutely no FPS as they literally make me nauseous)
8) Ripping blu ray and dvds to hd (list low on the list so don’t mind if it’s slower than the max hot rod pc)
9) I would like the HTPC to be very quiet
10) 3D playback
Here’s my parts list thus far
Silverstone Milo ML03 HTPC Black Aluminum SECC mATX 2xUSB3.0 ports $70
Asus P8H77-I Socket 1155 Intel H77 Chipset Dual channel DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz 1x PCI-Express 3.0 x16 GLAN 8-CH High Definition Audio 4x SATA 3.0Gb/s 2x SATA 6.0Gb/s 4x USB 3.0 8x USB 2.0 DVI/VGA/HDMI Mini ITX $99
Question 3: Does a motherboard exist that has two hdmi outputs? To connect to LCD monitor plus projector? Don’t need it to display two different things.
Intel Core i5-3570 Quad-Core Socket LGA1155, 3.4Ghz, 6MB L3 Cache, 22nm (Retail Boxed) Gen3 (BX80637I53570)$220
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR)
Kingston SSDNow V200 256GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive (SSD) w/Desktop Upgrade Kit (SV200S3D/256G) $155
LG (WH14NS40 BDXL) Internal 14x Blu-ray Writer (with Software), OEM
- Black, SATA BDXL, 3D Play Back. $60
WD Green (WD20EARX) 2TB SATA3 6Gb/s 64MB (OEM) $110
Seasonic X-400 Fanless Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold 400W PSU (SS-400FL Active PFC F3) $120
Question: There are cheaper power supplies and smaller watts should I be looking at those? I thought this one might be good being fanless and efficient.