Let’s get this out there first, I am a HTPC noob. I’ve always wanted to build my own pc, and the prospect of having a machine that will store the 350 or so DVDs I’ve collected, stream Netflix, and act as a DVR, and maybe eventually be able to handle some light gaming all with a slick interface has got me more than a little excited. I am slowly trying to piece together everything I need for this build. I’ve been basing my choices primarily on the recommendations offered by Assassin and will be using the guides on his blog to help me through it all. I’m trying to build a system that will give me the best possible video/audio and be somewhat future proof (maybe resistant is a better word). This is what I have come up with so far:
- Silverstone Tek GD05B-USB3.0 Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX Case
- ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M LGA 1155 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
- Intel Core i3-3225 Dual Core Processor 3.3 GHz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155
- Samsung 840 Series SSD 120GB SATA III TLC 2.5-Inch
- Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64 MB Cache Bare Drive
- G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB Dual Channel Memory Module
- LITE-ON 8MB Cache SATA Bluray Burner with 3D Playback iHBS212-08 LightScribe Support
- Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W Continuous Power ATX12V 2.3/EPS12V 80 Plus Certified PSU ???
- Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe – 4-Channel Internal Cable TV Tuner Card
Display is a Pioneer PDP-5080HD (1365 x 768 resolution)
Some questions I have:
1. First, thoughts on choices?
2. I know people say they don’t seem to notice dropped frames, but I know that will bug me. With the above setup, will I need a discrete video card to eliminate any chance of this and if so, which one?
3. It’s getting hard to find Windows 7 for cheap, what are your thoughts on Windows 8? I haven’t decided between XMBC and WMC yet, and will probably want to play with both. I will also want to be able to use a remote (Harmony One) to control it all. What about software like Media Browser, MadVR, FFDShow, Shark007codec and the like? Will they play nicely with Windows 8 or will they not be needed? To those who have used Assassin’s guides, will I still be able to follow along without issue?
I apologize for all the questions, but with work, Christmas approaching, and 2 young boys and a very pregnant wife at home, I haven’t been able to devote time to finding definitive answers to some of the questions I have.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit; Intel Core i7-6700K; Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7; Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3200; Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB; Pioneer PDP-5080HD 1366 x 768 Plasma Display; Epson Home Cinema 3500 Projector; Marantz SR5009; Logitech Harmony Ultimate