New Vector SSD looks very interesting. Is this the BEST NEW SSD for 2013 ? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 212 Old 12-01-2012, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfett View Post

Its because of this B.S. I don't really visit this forum anymore. Whenever someone has a difference of opinion (disagrees with Assassin) these long drawn out "quote" wars begin.

I think this is a bit unfair to say.

It's a public forum. Not Assassin's private blog. He's as loud and vocal as any on here and he's a valuable poster. He makes AVS better for sure.

But for you to suggest that everyone is just always going to agree with him on every topic, or the forum is somehow not as good because everyone does not always agree with Assassin is wrong IMO.

Forums are for discussing. It's not a webpage.

And- This was my thread. I started it. I guess I could argue he came into my thread and disagreed with me. I didn't seek him out and disagree with him like your suggesting.

I'm not sure exactly what your expecting.

I think we (assassin and I) both are very passionate about HTPC so the discussion and get going- but I am not sure I agree the forum is worse because of that. I think we've been mildly cordial and polite thus far even though were not on the same page and have different opinions.

If this forum was as bad as you say I am surprised you took the time to read this deep into this thread and comment in it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 212 Old 12-01-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I think this is a bit unfair to say.
Men in the game are blind to what men looking on see clearly.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #93 of 212 Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 PM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

You asked the question --- in a HTPC forum --- if a SSD which was 50% more expensive than current extremely fast SSDs was "the BEST NEW SSD for 2013?"
For 95% of the people the answer is a resounding no --- at least not at 50% more price. And of the remaining 5% I am not sure now many would definitely choose the OCZ Vector over the Samsung Pro, for example (which I also do not like for HTPC given the same reason --- cost), given some of the question marks surrounding OCZ.

If someone were to ask what the best new high performance car is, Bugatti Veyron would be at or near the top of the list. When asking what the best new ssd is, one should not be surprised to find people saying an ssd that is 50% faster than other ssds is at or near the top of the list.

So I see your issue now. You define "best new ssd" as being one thing and claim it should mean that to everyone here. To me, a 50% increase in speed makes it a great contender for the "best new ssd". To you, it means something else entirely. Neither view is wrong.
post #94 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Correct.

When for 95% of the people the maximum speed limit is 70 mph. Lets not forget that all the other ssds are high performance sports cars as well in your analogy.
post #95 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 AM

Liked: 13
The best thing with threads like this is that if you don't agree have your say and then move on. biggrin.gif
post #96 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

We are beating a dead horse now guys. It's become semantics. All sides are partly right- the appropriate ideal in probably in the middle between us all.

Let's just move on back to talking about SSD technologies, Controllers and performance.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #97 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Sometimes I open the webpage here and think I am at Overclockers. Or Hard Forum.
Then I look at the web url and it says "avsforum.com/f/26/home-theater-computers" and I am immediately reminded that I am --- in fact --- in a forum that should be dedicated and geared towards HTPC discussion. At least that's what used to make this place so great.
But back on track --- the point I was trying to make is that a SSD for me in HTPC serves 2 great purposes. By far the most important is how quickly it opens and browses through large libraries. It takes literally about a second even with the slowest SATAIII SSD. So will I notice if that is improved by 10-50%? Not hardly. The second is in bootup time which with the rare exception of a system or Windows update rarely ever happens. And even then we are talking about 15 seconds maybe down to 10 seconds.

I use my HTPC for gaming, so overclocking, max IOPS, and all those goodies are relevant to me. HTPC doesn't mean exclusively DVXA video playback. ROFL.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #98 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post

I use my HTPC for gaming, so overclocking, max IOPS, and all those goodies are relevant to me. HTPC doesn't mean exclusively DVXA video playback. ROFL.

That's great. And there is a dedicated HTPC Gaming sub-forum at AVS dedicated specifically to you and for you where you can discuss these things to your heart's content.

Otherwise why is it there at all?
post #99 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 10:58 AM

Liked: 13
Aren't moderators meant to moderate and move threads to their correct forums?
post #100 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

This is the correct forum.

-

post #101 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

This is the correct forum.

You need to narrow your focus and stick to Windows 7, Intel, Crucial/Samsung, ASUS/Gigabyte, 5400RPM drives, dual-core CPUs (on board video only please) and really try not to mention AMD, XBMC, Zotac, tower cases or anything soldered to the motherboard. Thanks.

biggrin.gif

post #102 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There is nothing wrong with posting this thread in this forum. Its perfectly fine.

Where the thread got derailed was with the OP taking issue that it wasn't accepted with open arms (that people were critical of it not being the "best" HTPC SSD for 2013). Is it the best SSD of 2013? Perhaps. Is it the best SSD for HTPC (again this is a HTPC fourm)? No, imo.

On a completely different and in my view unrelated subject...

All HTPC Gaming discussion really doesn't belong in this forum at all since there is a dedicated HTPC Gaming forum here at AVS. Until it is removed or merged with this forum I really don't see how there is any argument against this idea and threads dealing with HTPC Gaming (which, again, this thread is NOT) should be moved there by the moderators and we should encourage posters to post their gaming questions in that subforum.

Forget it. Post whatever you all want. Let's become the next Overclockers.
post #103 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No one wants turn this into over clockers dot net.

It's not like this forum is over run with gamers or overclockers either.

Your imagining a problem that doesn't exist.

I'm not even sure what we are arguing about anymore. Lol.

-

post #104 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:

Correct.
When for 95% of the people the maximum speed limit is 70 mph. Lets not forget that all the other ssds are high performance sports cars as well in your analogy.

Yep, basically we are comparing a Veyron and a Porche. Both are faster than anyone needs, but one is better than the other - but far more expensive as well. But when talking about the best new zyx, we really should talk about the best.
post #105 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with posting this thread in this forum. Its perfectly fine.
Where the thread got derailed was with the OP taking issue that it wasn't accepted with open arms (that people were critical of it not being the "best" HTPC SSD for 2013). Is it the best SSD of 2013? Perhaps. Is it the best SSD for HTPC (again this is a HTPC fourm)? No, imo.

Then you were not actually posting about the topic of the thread, but posting about something else entirely...which should have had its own thread created instead. The thread title made it quite clear it was talking about more than just dedicated HTPCs. You probably should have started your own thread instead of trying to force this one to conform to what you wanted it to be about (followed by blaming the thread creator for not allowing you to just waltz in and change what the thread is about). smile.gif
post #106 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

But then you are not actually posting about the topic of the thread, but instead posting about something else entirely...would should have been its own thread instead. You probably should have started your own thread instead of trying to force this one to conform to what you wish it was about. smile.gif

I yield. Or give up.
post #107 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
When you use "BEST" in your thread title, you better be ready for it.

post #108 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

When you use "BEST" in your thread title, you better be ready for it.

It was a question.

The jury is still out.

-

post #109 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

There is a couple things that need to be figured out.

First- a few months of positive end users experiences and some reinforcement of the better relisbility.
I think if the reliability is proven that takes huge monkey off the back of this SSD. It's already recieved better and more thorough testing and OCZ already provides a 5 year warranty. If its reliability holds up and no issues are discovered that would then allow people to seriously consider it as best SSD or viable high end option.

Second- I'm counting on tradition OCZ price aggressiveness. It's not going to sell for its MSRP on the street. I think it's going to be a much better value. That will be required to consider seriously too.

If reliability holds up and prices on street are attractive I'm not sure there's anything to hate about this drive.

-

post #110 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They are at least 50% more than relatively comparable SSDs . I posted this a while ago and was part of the basis for my argument of not worth the added cost for HTPC. The actual or "real world" price is already known.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7473866&srkey=O261-3005
http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-2-5-Inch-Warranty--VTR1-25SAT3-128G/dp/B00A9YQPME/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354508159&sr=1-2&keywords=ocz+vector

***Please note that these links reflect fact as reported by internet retailers and is no way an endorsement or disagreement of assassin's opinion in any way***
post #111 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

They are at least 50% more than relatively comparable SSDs . I posted this a while ago and was part of the basis for my argument of not worth the added cost for HTPC. The actual or "real world" price is already known.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7473866&srkey=O261-3005
http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-2-5-Inch-Warranty--VTR1-25SAT3-128G/dp/B00A9YQPME/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354508159&sr=1-2&keywords=ocz+vector
***Please note that these links reflect fact as reported by internet retailers and is no way an endorsement or disagreement of assassin's opinion in any way***

Most products sell at premium at launch then prices decline later...

I'm counting on that. It almost always happens.

Vertex. 4 was 149$ at launch . I've seen it for $75 less than 6 months after launch.

It's been out a few days so its not fair for us to judge street prices just yet.

-

post #112 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What? That's not fair. Almost ALL pc parts decline in price over time. You can't just pick a date in the future as the price of the product for comparison.

I really am from another planet.
post #113 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What? That's not fair. Almost ALL pc parts decline in price over time. You can't just pick a date in the future as the price of the product for comparison.
I really am from another planet.

You seem particularly intent on bashing on this product while no one has said anyone should run out and get it.

I've said repeatedly I think jury is out and there's some things to keep eye on. Price being one and reliability being another.

I'm just using common sense. If it was me I'd wait. I'm thinking price will drop.

You notice two important things in title

First it's a question. Meant to be discussed. Not a claim.
Second that I said 2013. That's the future.

-

post #114 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No I like facts. Not speculation or guesses.

It was your question about being the "best". I answered it and you took exception to that answer. Now somehow it's my fault?

I think the Crucial m8 will be the best ssd of 2015. Discuss.
Geesh.
post #115 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I never said anything was your fault. Your imagining an argument I'm not making.

-

post #116 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 143
You should get 8 of them and raid 0 on that new card your getting

post #117 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Lol. I saw that kid in another forum asking what's best SSD $300 and 512GB. Went into thread and saw he wants 8 of them to run a 3TB RAID0 SSD array.

That's serious business. Certainly you absolutely need that for decent HTPC performance. wink.gif

-

post #118 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not sure that card could even handle 8 of these Vectors. They are saturating SATA 3 ports.

Isn't that going to be way higher than an x8 slot ?

-

post #119 of 212 Old 12-02-2012, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 107
PCI Express 2.0 gives you 500MB/s per lane, so a 8x can in theory do 4GB/s. I doubt a raid controller can even keep up with that.
post #120 of 212 Old 12-03-2012, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

There's a silly build going where a kid is putting 8 on an AsRock LGA 2011 Extreme11 in RAID 0 for a boot drive.

Anandtech tested that type set up I think. You might be right about bottleneck I think.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page