HTPC Case suggestion? Somewhat specific requirements - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-28-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll state upfront, I apologize if I'm bringing up a question that's been asked before. I did a quick search and don't see anything recently discussing my specific desires, so I'm hoping I don't get a "do a search' lol.

I'm attempting to help a friend build his first HTPC. If this works out, I'm pondering building one for myself as well. I'm pretty knowledgeable on computer components, but have never dabbled in the HTPC scene.

Probably gonna run XBMC, main intent is for playback of ripped content, some Amazon Prime content and occasionally displaying PC content on the TV itself. All data will be hosted off a NAS in the home(dual GigE Synology box connected to a Cisco managed switch, plenty of bandwidth).

Planning on probably running a microATX form factor board, likely with an i3(would love an i5 if there's room for cooling, but I think that's a stretch). One SSD, maybe 2 at the most, since the bulk of data would be on the NAS. Currently, no real desire for an optical drive on the unit, but if a bay is present, that's fine.

Case concern:
Relatively low profile. Definitely smaller than a receiver. No annoying lights on the front(or the ability to turn them off...a standby is fine and can tolerate a low visibility power light, but nothing glaring). Inherently cool design layout, to avoid loud fans. We don't mind spending some cash on high quality, near silent upgrades, but really want this not to be noticeable.

Also, would love to find a case/mobo option that had like a full height slight sideways, off a riser card on the mobo, to allow an eventual GPU upgrade down the road(when a higher end model is available with a low pro fan or even silent edition as tech advances). I thought this option would be a bit more common place by now?

My case requirements may be a bit steep, but it's a concern. The video service at my friends house and mine is an IPTV solution which has a fanless DVR. There's no devices generating any noise to compete with this box, other than my own personal PS3(which isn't that loud...2nd gen Slim).

If something out there exists that meets these requirements, I have no issue with spending the cash on it, I just haven't found it. I know the riser card/full size GPU slot is a bit of a shot in the dark, but the other options shouldn't be quite as difficult. Would love if I could fit a Seasonic SS-460FL silent power supply in it as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What about something like this.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1422380/assassin-thin-mini-itx-project
post #3 of 6 Old 11-29-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

That case is almost fine. 2 concerns. One is that motherboard. Doesn't output 7.1 over HDMI. I'm upgrading to a nice surround system when I move in a few months and would prefer to be able to output audio for that. Second is I'm concerned about running an i5 on that setup with the rather weak 160watt power supply. Even if I'm just running the Mobo, 256Mb SSD, i5 3540, I'm not sure that's sufficient.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-29-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by tullnd View Post

That case is almost fine. 2 concerns. One is that motherboard. Doesn't output 7.1 over HDMI. I'm upgrading to a nice surround system when I move in a few months and would prefer to be able to output audio for that. Second is I'm concerned about running an i5 on that setup with the rather weak 160watt power supply. Even if I'm just running the Mobo, 256Mb SSD, i5 3540, I'm not sure that's sufficient.

Read my hardware guides.

Motherboards don't output sound anymore. The CPU does.

The PSU in that case is just fine for an i5.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-29-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 153
post #6 of 6 Old 11-30-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I'm liking that option even more.

Case Lian Li PC-Q05B $79.99 http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17451/cst-1337/Lian_Li_Mini-Q_PC-Q05B_Ultra_Thin_Mini_Tower_Chassis_-_Black_PC-Q05B_Intel_DH-61AG.html#blank
CPU
CPU Cooling Intel Cooling Fan/Heatsink CPU Fan BXHTS1155LP $26.60 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0065ZUXS8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Motherboard Intel DQ77KB $139.99 Amazon
SSD Storage
RAM Samsung MV-3T4G3D/US 4GBx2 kit(8GB) $38.99 http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-Extreme-MV-3T4G3D-US/dp/B00592005E/ref=lh_ni_t
Power Supply *trying to source a 18.5v 90watt 7.4mm x 5mm plug leftover HP elitebook adapter from work *free?

This is my list so far. I'd love to do an i5 3475S, but can't seem to find them in stock anywhere. I'm positive the i3 3225($120 at MicroCenter) would be perfect for the HTPC functionality, but for occasional browsing and possible light gaming(not at ALL a priority, but if I can have that capability for a bit more cash....) I'd be willing to spend a bit more it get one of those.

Also I need to pick a 256GB SSD still(not OCZ, bad taste in the mouth). May just spring for a 830 series if I don't see one on sale soon.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page