Verizon Fios stopped by - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-28-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So for what its worth, FIOS came in today and gave me the 150dn/35up Megabits package. I actually started out with the 35dn then moved to the 75dn. But I was still having issues.

My router/modem is in my livingroom. We wanted to keep it on the middle floor for wireless purposes. My HT is in the basement. I bought the Netgear Powerline adapter XAVB 1004 for the basement and hooked up my XBOX and Receiver to it. While it worked, because it was not plugged directly into the router my speeds were 45/dn when I signed up for the 75/dn. This was understandable and not bad, but there were still several times when I watched Youtube videos from my XBOX360 that in the middle of a 10 minute video I experience several independent moments of buffering. While I knew that the XAVB was slower, I still thought 45/dn would be more than enough, but it wasn't. So if it was not the speed, what could have caused those vids to buffer in the middle of the stream?

Naivley, I complained to FIOS and they decided to up me to 150 at the same price, Haven't had the chance to fool around with the new speeds yet, but I did have them place the modem/router in the basement. When I complete my HTPC build it will be plugged in directly into that. With that speed, how long will it take to download a 2hour HD movie? What are some things that I should try with my HTPC to take advantage of that speed to get the most for my money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-28-2012, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
With even the 35/35 you have plenty of bandwidth 150 is pointless unless you plan on hammering things with multiple PC's. I work for VZ as a tech your issues are much more likely due to an interior network issue or YouTube having a hiccup. Also btw it should be 150/65 not 35.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
post #3 of 10 Old 11-28-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post

So for what its worth, FIOS came in today and gave me the 150dn/35up Megabits package. I actually started out with the 35dn then moved to the 75dn. But I was still having issues.
My router/modem is in my livingroom. We wanted to keep it on the middle floor for wireless purposes. My HT is in the basement. I bought the Netgear Powerline adapter XAVB 1004 for the basement and hooked up my XBOX and Receiver to it. While it worked, because it was not plugged directly into the router my speeds were 45/dn when I signed up for the 75/dn. This was understandable and not bad, but there were still several times when I watched Youtube videos from my XBOX360 that in the middle of a 10 minute video I experience several independent moments of buffering. While I knew that the XAVB was slower, I still thought 45/dn would be more than enough, but it wasn't. So if it was not the speed, what could have caused those vids to buffer in the middle of the stream?
Naivley, I complained to FIOS and they decided to up me to 150 at the same price, Haven't had the chance to fool around with the new speeds yet, but I did have them place the modem/router in the basement. When I complete my HTPC build it will be plugged in directly into that. With that speed, how long will it take to download a 2hour HD movie? What are some things that I should try with my HTPC to take advantage of that speed to get the most for my money.

Where do you plan to aquire this movie and what do you mean by "HD".

post #4 of 10 Old 11-28-2012, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by System View Post

With even the 35/35 you have plenty of bandwidth 150 is pointless unless you plan on hammering things with multiple PC's. I work for VZ as a tech your issues are much more likely due to an interior network issue or YouTube having a hiccup. Also btw it should be 150/65 not 35.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

This is true, but they tie the internet speeds with the cable packages. So you really do not have much of a choice. And while I agree the 150 is to much We will be adding two more tablets to the house along with an Xbox 360 to use as an extender at the HTPC.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I'd love to get the 150/65 and it IS available in my neighborhood, but sadly Verizon won't let me do that without upgrading my TV package as well. We don't watch that much TV (we keep the lowest HD tier), but we have two home offices and a bunch of equipment that could really benefit from the extra bandwidth...

Verizon - Are you listening??
post #6 of 10 Old 11-28-2012, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Could be the power line adapter. All sorts of things could come into play with these. Wiring in the house, interference from other electronics, and not being on the same circuit could cause stability issues with the adapters.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 PM

Liked: 17
Where are you? I had all kinds of problems with Youtube while with Verizon here in the Tampa area. I still have them sometimes with brighthouse. Youtube simply doesn't play nice with a lot of networks. If you do a trace route to youtube even just google.com, you'll often get bad pings once you are passed off to google's routers.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-28-2012, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in northern Virginia. Right outside of DC.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-29-2012, 08:15 PM

Liked: 17
Do a tracert to youtube. I'll bet the ping times are pretty bad once you hop onto google's routers.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-01-2012, 12:01 PM

Liked: 147
You can go to speedtest.org or, better yet, go to http://my.verizon.com/micro/speedtest/broadband/ and test your speeds there. Using that tester, I show I have 57 down, 41 up...for my 50/25 service.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page