How to properly force WMC to use a different RF channel? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My local station is broadcasting a channel in both UHF and VHF in different locations. It turns out that my VHF channel is weak but it seems 7MC prefers the VHF channel. How can I force the 7MC to use the other channel? I know I can "add" a channel and then assign the guide but from time to time the channel get overwritten. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 51
There a way to change the order and/or delete the sources a tuner uses. I'm at a different PC right now so I can't verify the steps. But go into WMC > Settings. And I think it's TV > Edit. After you select the channel number you can select the source & use the up/down arrow keys to move the UHF source above the VHF one, or IIRC you can also delete it.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The problem is the UHF source isn't part of the default WMC guide. WMC database just pick one and they picked the VHF. Looks like I would have to add the channels manually.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did you scan for channels? It should fine the channel, if it exists. The mapping is a different issue, but you can fine tune that under tv -> guide > edit channels.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have scanned the channels but I don't see any new channels being added. Perhaps it is because it overlaps with existing channels.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelation View Post

The problem is the UHF source isn't part of the default WMC guide. WMC database just pick one and they picked the VHF. Looks like I would have to add the channels manually.

Are you sure about this? Here in Chicago both VHF and UHF stations are rolled into one guide listing.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Maybe put a notch filter on the blocks the VHF channel entirely and re-scan?

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #8 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicko2 View Post

Are you sure about this? Here in Chicago both VHF and UHF stations are rolled into one guide listing.

That's what happened with channel 7 for me also. The WMC7 guide lists the following:
7.1 WLSSTA
7.2 WLSSTA2
7.3 WLSDT3

I recently rearranged the sources putting ch 44 above the ch 7. Did you do anything to get 7.1 to display WLSDT instead of WLSSTA? I thought about doing a new channel scan but figured ch 7 will come out on top again.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Did you do anything to get 7.1 to display WLSDT instead of WLSSTA? I thought about doing a new channel scan but figured ch 7 will come out on top again.

Mine says WLSDT. I didnt do anything to make it say that. I disabled the VHF channel. It doesnt come in too well where I am. Of course, during times of skip, the UHF station doesnt come in too well either. Then I have to switch back to the VHF station. Its a real pain and the VHF station is probably going away real soon.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks like I was wrong. I see both VHF and UHF in the source listing. In fact, there were 3 copies of the same channel with 2 identical UHF. I unchecked one UHF and VHF and I think this solves my problem. Thanks!
post #11 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mine says WLSDT. I didnt do anything to make it say that. I disabled the VHF channel. It doesnt come in too well where I am. Of course, during times of skip, the UHF station doesnt come in too well either. Then I have to switch back to the VHF station. Its a real pain and the VHF station is probably going away real soon.

I don't know which channel freq is considered the "STA" one. Initially I thought it would be ch 7 since that one is supposedly going away in January & is considered temporary. But it was there before the ch 44 freq. So I didn't delete either one, I just moved all the ch 44 sources to the top. I did a channel scan not too long ago so will probably get the same results if I do another. I guess I'll wait a couple months & then do another scan.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page