CPU cooler for Silverstone HTPC GD08 case - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 11-29-2012, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see that this case got recommended quite often here if you have the space. I am considering building a very quiet HTPC / Server with this case. I purchased the Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe and the i5 3570K already. What is the largest / tallest (best) cpu cooler that I could use with this case? Secondly, if I decide not to spend for top end air cooling, what do you recommend for a cooler/fan system for under $50?

Currently my 6 year old PC (AMD Opteron 170 / DFI Lanparty Expert NF4 chipset) is overclocked 24/7. I used a Scythe Ninjya tower with a 120 mm Nexus fan. I would be curious if something this larger would work with the GD08. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 11-29-2012, 06:41 PM

Liked: 11
I have the stock cooler in it and I can't hear it at all. I don't have a great deal of ambient noise either. When I first fired it up, I couldn't even tell the computer was on until I turned the TV on lol. I have the same processor. With that said, you can go with any cooler up to 138mm with that case. Its pretty good with for an HTPC case as far as space goes. I was able to put a VGA cooler and it sticks up over an inch above the card and makes my AMD 6750 totally silent. I have the same case as well. I just got it a few days ago.
post #3 of 34 Old 11-29-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 776
How much space do you have? Is there a reason why the stock one won't work ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 34 Old 11-29-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Guys, thanks for the suggestions.
Quote:
How much space do you have? Is there a reason why the stock one won't work ?

Space is not a concern will the stock cooler. And yes it is quiet. I will be using this PC to transcode movies on the fly to 2 CRT TV's (yes, still living in the stone age). One is connected to an Xbox 360, the other a Sony SMP-N200. The CPU will get quite hot and I do not think that the stock cooler is up to the task of keeping it cool. With my current 6 year old system, I can only stream to 1 TV even with a high end air cooling.

Quote:
you can go with any cooler up to 138mm with that case. Its pretty good with for an HTPC case as far as space goes. I was able to put a VGA cooler and it sticks up over an inch above the card and makes my AMD 6750 totally silent.

Thanks for your experience with the stock cooler and the maximum height restrictions. I will definitely go with this case. I wonder if I could have both a high end tower CPU cooler and a VGA cooler for this case. For now, I will start with the iGPU to see how that work with streaming the movies.
post #5 of 34 Old 11-29-2012, 10:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsluk View Post

Space is not a concern will the stock cooler. And yes it is quiet. I will be using this PC to transcode movies on the fly to 2 CRT TV's (yes, still living in the stone age). One is connected to an Xbox 360, the other a Sony SMP-N200. The CPU will get quite hot and I do not think that the stock cooler is up to the task of keeping it cool. With my current 6 year old system, I can only stream to 1 TV even with a high end air cooling.
Thanks for your experience with the stock cooler and the maximum height restrictions. I will definitely go with this case. I wonder if I could have both a high end tower CPU cooler and a VGA cooler for this case. For now, I will start with the iGPU to see how that work with streaming the movies.

I have been researching coolers today actually. Most coolers with a 120mm fan standing perpendicular to the board won't fit. Though the case is super nice for its cost.
post #6 of 34 Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Check out Noctua's range. They make some of the best coolers, period. The fan clips are utter rubbish, but otherwise their build quality is second to none.
post #7 of 34 Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The NH-U9B SE2 is my go-to cooler for quieting down 4U rackmount screamers, and it seems like you are working with about the same height limitation.

Its a 125mm tall tower cooler with 92mm fans. The fan clips are definitely annoying as hell (I use small needle-nose pliers) but they are very secure once installed. The backplate/retention design they use is probably the best out there.

Nearly dead silent HTPC ver 2.0: i3-4340 w/ Noctua NH-L9i on Z87E-itx inside CM130 elite, fanless PSU, SSD OS drive
SAN shares via 40GbE tunneled over 56Gb infiniband links
microcenter & ebay = severe risks to my wallet
post #8 of 34 Old 11-30-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 358
There are a few tower coolers with 80-92mm fan that fit GD08, e.g.

- Xigmatek Loki SD963 (92 mm fan, 134mm tall)
- SilverStone NT01-PRO (dual 80 mm fan, 120mm tall)

but you'd better go with a top-flow cooler with a 120mm fan.

- Cooler Master Geminii S (120mm fan, 88mm tall)
- Cooler Master Geminii S524 (120mm fan, 105mm tall)
- Noctua NH-L12 (dual 120/92mm fan, 93mm)
post #9 of 34 Old 11-30-2012, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

So why do you think the stock cooler would not be up to the task? It is because of the transcoding?
post #10 of 34 Old 11-30-2012, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

I see that this case got recommended quite often here if you have the space. I am considering building a very quiet HTPC / Server with this case. I purchased the Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe and the i5 3570K already. What is the largest / tallest (best) cpu cooler that I could use with this case? Secondly, if I decide not to spend for top end air cooling, what do you recommend for a cooler/fan system for under $50?
Currently my 6 year old PC (AMD Opteron 170 / DFI Lanparty Expert NF4 chipset) is overclocked 24/7. I used a Scythe Ninjya tower with a 120 mm Nexus fan. I would be curious if something this larger would work with the GD08. Thanks.

Is the mobo you selected a ATX or mATX. it is a the former you could run into a space problem with a after market water cooler, the ram and the opitical drive.
post #11 of 34 Old 12-01-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Again, thanks all for you input.
Quote:
The NH-U9B SE2 is my go-to cooler for quieting down 4U rackmount screamers

Aluminum or Tiddles88, is this a new Noctua model? Does the fans run quiet? Looks good visually. I used the wire clip fan attachment of my current Ninjya cooler. It is amazing that after 6 years they still have not upgraded this attachment method.
Quote:
but you'd better go with a top-flow cooler with a 120mm fan

Renethx, always value your suggestions. That's why I picked the GD08 HTPC case. Why top flow? Other than the clearance concerns, is it the better way to cool the cpu?
Quote:
why do you think the stock cooler would not be up to the task? It is because of the transcoding?

stamina1914, The Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe is ATX. I want very quiet air cooling and not water cooling. I bought premium components so that I could overclock my PC 24/7 such as my current 6 years old system. Perhaps the stock cooler is OK under standard conditions. Due to its inherent design, I understand that the Ivy Bridge when overclocked runs very hot. Furthermore, I guess I need to check clearance for RAM and the optical drive. Best regards.
post #12 of 34 Old 12-01-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

Why top flow? Other than the clearance concerns, is it the better way to cool the cpu?

Yes, it is pretty obvious that generally a 120mm top-flow cooler is better than a 92mm side-flow cooler for 3570K (TDP is not that high, but it suffers from a TIM [thermal interface material] problem).

Personally I would avoid non-PWM fan (why non-PWM in 2012?).
post #13 of 34 Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
post #14 of 34 Old 12-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
FYI - In case someone reads this like I did the Cooler Master Geminii S524 is not a good cpu cooler for this case unless you plan on using a small video card. With a micro board, it makes it impossible to install in the first video card slot makes cabling difficult. I would not recommend it.
post #15 of 34 Old 12-12-2013, 07:45 AM

Liked: 19
Since it's been brought back from the grave. And just in case someone else stumbles on this thread: I have a Noctua NH-C14 (2 x 140mm) in this case and it fits just right (microATX board). Great cooler.
post #16 of 34 Old 12-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

That seems pretty big to manage - the cabling I mean.

I had purchased the NH-L91 but it's too low profile because I can get it to screw in due to capacitors even though Noctua has the board as compatible.

Now just ordered the Noctua NH-U9B and hoping that does it.
post #17 of 34 Old 01-29-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd2k View Post

Now just ordered the Noctua NH-U9B and hoping that does it.

Did it fit?!? I'm dying to know! My cursor has been hovering over the add to cart button for months!

post #18 of 34 Old 01-29-2014, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

but it suffers from a TIM [thermal interface material] problem)..

Yup. Delidded the 3750k in my gaming rig. Dropped 20C at load.
Mfusick likes this.
post #19 of 34 Old 01-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralnorman View Post

Did it fit?!? I'm dying to know! My cursor has been hovering over the add to cart button for months!

Hah yeah. It worked perfectly for me. I tried out like 4 different cpu coolers and this is the only one that I thought worked well and that didn't take up way too much space
admiralnorman likes this.
post #20 of 34 Old 01-29-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Any pics?

DJoel
post #21 of 34 Old 01-30-2014, 02:17 AM
Advanced Member

I only used the one fan but this is what my set up looks like...

Djoel and admiralnorman like this.
post #22 of 34 Old 01-30-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner View Post

Yup. Delidded the 3750k in my gaming rig. Dropped 20C at load.

How can I not thumbs up you smile.gif

Delidding ($0) drops temps 20c
Noctua ($80) drops temps 5c

One is cheaper than the other biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #23 of 34 Old 01-30-2014, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Thx. Risk to the chip aside, I think I paid around 12 or 15 bucks for the high end Liquid Ultra TIM.
post #24 of 34 Old 01-30-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:

Hah yeah. It worked perfectly for me. I tried out like 4 different cpu coolers and this is the only one that I thought worked well and that didn't take up way too much space

Awesome! Thanx for the follow up!

post #25 of 34 Old 01-30-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner View Post

Thx. Risk to the chip aside, I think I paid around 12 or 15 bucks for the high end Liquid Ultra TIM.

I am surprised this technique is not more widely done on the "silent" builds or the ultra mini builds since it's very effective and very cheap, and it doesn't require a huge cooler or a huge fan.

We had talked a lot about De-lidding and general Haswell info as well as cooler noise in this thread previously when Haswell first launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagittaja View Post

I have MX-2. Good price for a 30g tube haha. And it's not too thin or too thick so the pressure of the heat sink spreads it nice across the IHS. I previously used MX-4 and it was way too thick.
And nowadays I have been applying the thermal paste like a line across the IHS.
Like so

Except the other way around since if you'd take a peek inside Sandy or Ivy or Haswell the die is oriented this way

But since that first picture has a Core 2 Quad, the line that way is good since C2Q die looks like this

I personally have some issues with the spread method. You could possibly have some air trapped in there. And since air doesn't conduct heat that well..And since the die now is quite narrow and long I fail to really see the reason to apply it like that. Better to do a line on the middle running along the same axis as the die where most of the heat will be concentrated.
I could tomorrow reapply my heatsink and see how my application was, and make a video of course or grab some pictures.

I am surprised this technique is not more widely done on the "silent" builds or the ultra mini builds since it's very effective and very cheap, and it doesn't require a huge cooler or a huge fan.

We had talked a lot about De-lidding and general Haswell info as well as cooler noise in this thread previously when Haswell first launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Razorless De-liding

You need a Vice (could have rubber arms or metal its up to you, Personally just use what you have).
OK just some advice for people wanting to do this. I just tried 5 different Vice's in a shop and none of them would bite down on the CPU. (I am testing with a non soldered 775 Pentium). If the vice you use is an older vice with rounded off teeth, forget about doing it until you get a smaller electronics or precision vice. If a larger style shop vice is fairly new and still has good sharp corners on its jaw, that should be fine as well. You probably only have a 1/16 of an inch to bite down on.

Some piece of extra wood (Needs to have a flat side)

You want to make sure your vice is secure(you could have it mounted to something or just have someone holding it opposite to the direction you are hammering)
Proceed to clamp the IHS down Now you will find that your IHS has 2 "lips" or "ridges" you could clamp to, Now you want to clamp it on the ridge that is furthest away from the PCB(refer to pictures) You want to clamp it to the point where you can no longer move it by hand and it is secure. (Warning: Over tightening could lead to some Indentations left on your IHS Depending on the type of Vice).
Some tips on how to align the CPU on the vice

Now after you have securely clamped it, You then want to pick up the piece of wood, Line up the flat side Horizontally against the PCB (see picture)

Finally take the hammer and give it a few good solid whacks, If you have it clamped securely the CPU should not come loose, in an event that it should come loose then re-clamp it and proceed after a few good solid hits the PCB will separate from the IHS.
Some Optional Tips! (Click to show)

After you have Separated the IHS form the CPU You would need to "scrape" the glue/adhesive Off both the PCB and the IHS, Using a credit card worked great for me! For more tips on how to do this, Refer the the Delidded Club( linked above)

Here is a quick video someone did on a 3770k Scraping off the Adhesive and how to apply CLU to the CPU die

After "Scraping off the Adhesive you then proceed to apply TIM to the CPU die

-

post #26 of 34 Old 01-30-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I only used the one fan but this is what my set up looks like...

Thanks very cool looking.

DJoel
post #27 of 34 Old 01-30-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Thanks very cool looking.

DJoel

Are you considering a top style cooler or a side cooler ?

-

post #28 of 34 Old 01-30-2014, 11:59 AM

I used this for an A10-7850K

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=368 - IMHO, it is a great fit in the case as it does not cover any slots, has no height issues, and has plenty of clearance for the fan below it. On installing the cooler, and connecting the power cables, I thought it was going to interfere with my MB's CPU power connector, however, I just removed the bottom fan, connected the cable to the CPU connector, and reinstalled the fan - there was plenty of clearance.

I replaced the stock fan on the cooler with a Scythe SY1225SL12L, and I am going to add a second fan on top of the cooler. At 10 dB, these fans are silent to say the least, and I expect that there will be minimal noise even with 6 of these fans in the case. I am dumping all the fans that came with the case in favor of these fans.

Last night, I looked more closely at the specs for the GD08, and found that they say that the clearance between the MB and the top of the case is 138mm - meaning any CPU coolers that are taller than that will not fit. I had originally ordered a Thermalright Macho 02, but at 166mm tall, it would not fit in the case.

HTH
post #29 of 34 Old 01-30-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Are you considering a top style cooler or a side cooler ?

Do you mean where the fans located, top and, or side?
Never really gave much thought. But think the sides would be more efficiently, as they push air out instead of down which may stay in the case!

Dan
post #30 of 34 Old 01-30-2014, 12:11 PM

One other thing on applying thermal paste, IMHO, Arctic Silver has an excellent guide on that at http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page