Well...y'all know me. I run a fairly significant computing/AV infrastructure at home, but I think it is time (given the upcoming holidays and some free time) to re-assess what I'm running and maybe consolidate it. Here's what I'm running on the server side:
- A 24 port chassis (downgraded from 48 port, since the advent of 3 and 4TB drives) home server that is (still) running WHS v1 as the main storage server
- A 12 port chassis backup storage server that also runs WHS v1
- A "TV" server that runs dual Ceton cards serving HTPCs throughout the house as well as being the domain controller and a download server for stuff (if need be)
- An Air Video server (yes, I'm running a separate server for that....) that allows us to access our media on the road/remotely/in the car (yeah, that's pretty cool).
So.....let's try and reduce the server count. Can I do it all except the backup server, with a single server??
- I'd love to run Unraid as the main storage server, but I'm...well...apprehensive. I don't know Linux as well as I do Windows and I hate command lines (I guess I could adapt). This is one of the major stumbling blocks why I'm still running WHS v1. It's "familiar".
- Have to have Air Video or it's equivalent.
- Have to be able to house dual Ceton cards to serve the house.
- Whatever we come up with, must be on all the time, so idle power consumption (no sleeping or hibernating) is very much a factor.
I re-assessed my hardware (vs just going out and buying new stuff) and said...well...I have a ****load of hardware.
I'm just being dumb. So, I started experimenting with the existing hardware to see what I can do.
- I tested an Intel DX58SO 1366 motherboard and an i7 960 (all existing) with 12 GB RAM (3 sticks), an Intel PRO dual port pci-e network adapter, an el cheapo (ancient) ATI PCI video card with an 85+ power supply and I idle at ~55 watts. This is when the motherboard turns off all fans (because the temps are cool), when the fans are running, I see ~61 watts.
- This i7 is a quad core with hyper threading, so it "should" be able to run my needs outlined above?
- My thought is to run Server 2008 R2 as the host OS and then run Unraid as the storage server within a VM. That "should" fulfill my requirements.
- The DX58SO already has an Intel LAN port and the dual card gives me two more. That should be enough to dedicate two ports to the storage server and one for the other stuff.
Does this sound like a plan/feasible?