How to Transition HTPC OS from HDD to SDD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all. Finally made the jump to SDD. Bought a SanDisk Extreme 240GB SDD on BF. I currently have my W7 OS running on a 500GB drive that's setup with a partition; 100GB for the OS and 400GB for DVR connect. My plan is to use the SDD for only OS + programs and divert the DVR content to my main HDD storage.

Can someone explain the best steps for making this transition? Is it best to start from scratch or is there a good way to port my programs/settings onto the SDD?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 06:24 AM

Liked: 10
How much a SanDisk Extreme 240GB SDD on BF? http://*******/3PYI1
post #3 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I am just reading up myself on migration vs. new install. Most agree that a fresh install is the way to go. You seem to have a simple setup and might consider a fresh install from the ground up. You would then get a new registry, the operating system would be set up to work with a SSD, you could reinstall some programs on your SSD and Windows would know where to find your programs and your data.

My problem is that I have a four year old computer that I use for my home office and as my home theater PC. I have a lot of programs with custom settings, three data drives in addition to the C: drive, a monitor and a plasma in extended mode and a five drive backup RAID array. So, a fresh install would involve a lot of time.

I have a 128 GB SSD on the way. I am still confused about migration, how to go from install to OS migration and what might not function. I have investigated various migration programs and still do not understand the exact steps and some of the terminology like alignment.
post #4 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 215
2 choices. Migrate (easy peasy if there's enough space on the new drive) or fresh install. Well actually 3 choices. Fresh install of the OS and programs and use Windows Easy Transfer Wizard to, well, 'Transfer' important files and settings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Please elaborate on the third option for the complete idiot.

Would I:
1: Install the SSD leaving my four hard drives in place connected by SATA with power.
2: Put a Win 7 Image on the SSD
3: Go into the registry and change IDE to ACHI
4: Go into BIOS and make the SSD the boot drive
5: How would I then use easy transfer. For instance how would I transfer my media center setting which have favorite channels and channel logos.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is there really any advantage at all to a fresh install with a SSD drive? They are so fast that I really doubt getting a new smaller registry matters much at all.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

Is there really any advantage at all to a fresh install with a SSD drive? They are so fast that I really doubt getting a new smaller registry matters much at all.

Yes.

post #8 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 08:39 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

If your current install is working well then no you aren't going to see any speed difference in a smaller registry with a SSD. However, there there still may be advantages in a new, clean registry.

EDIT: Assassin beat me to it!
post #9 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 68
If your HDD is a brand that has a utility on their webstie, perhaps Sandisk came with one too, then you can just use that utility to migrate the OS from the HDD to SSD. If you have another hard drive just laying around from a manufacturer that has a utility like that, just connect it to an available port. As long as it is on and recognized, even if it is neither the source nor the destination, the utility will work.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #10 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WylieKylie View Post

If your current install is working well then no you aren't going to see any speed difference in a smaller registry with a SSD. However, there there still may be advantages in a new, clean registry.

I wonder if anyone has ever done any testing on this? I don't think this would be like the "pre-fetch" advice that was going around several years ago, where it was actually counter to a faster computer, but I do wonder whether the difference would be significant enough to make it worth the hassle of doing a fresh install.

For an HTPC the fresh install might not be that much of an issue, but for a normal computer where you have many programs to load, I'd really question the cost/benefit.
post #11 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WylieKylie View Post

I wonder if anyone has ever done any testing on this? I don't think this would be like the "pre-fetch" advice that was going around several years ago, where it was actually counter to a faster computer, but I do wonder whether the difference would be significant enough to make it worth the hassle of doing a fresh install.

For an HTPC the fresh install might not be that much of an issue, but for a normal computer where you have many programs to load, I'd really question the cost/benefit.

Having ordered a SSD and having asked questions about doing a migration of windows7 on a four year old complex computer setup three times I am beginning to believe that a faster boot is not worth the trouble. A manager colleague posted a flow chart on the wall with multiple steps, a big gap and then the final product. Unfortunately, that is as far as I have gotten...a lot of unknowns. The new install on the SSD sounded good and Easy transfer sounded good as well until I started Easy Transfer and it identified 12.8 TB to be transferred. Figuring out what of the 12.8 TB I actually need to transfer looks to be a challenge. Being a slave in Egypt began to look OK to the Israelites after wandering in the desert for a while.

A SSD is clearly a good idea for someone with a new computer or a simple setup.
post #12 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

Having ordered a SSD and having asked questions about doing a migration of windows7 on a four year old complex computer setup three times I am beginning to believe that a faster boot is not worth the trouble. A manager colleague posted a flow chart on the wall with multiple steps, a big gap and then the final product. Unfortunately, that is as far as I have gotten...a lot of unknowns. The new install on the SSD sounded good and Easy transfer sounded good as well until I started Easy Transfer and it identified 12.8 TB to be transferred. Figuring out what of the 12.8 TB I actually need to transfer looks to be a challenge. Being a slave in Egypt began to look OK to the Israelites after wandering in the desert for a while.

If you are going to do a fresh install, I'd install Win8. Win8 and and SSD should give you a real fast startup, even on a four year old system. That's what I have.
post #13 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

If you are going to do a fresh install, I'd install Win8. Win8 and and SSD should give you a real fast startup, even on a four year old system. That's what I have.
No Windows 8, Thanks anyway, I will wait and see how Windows 8 works out. So far it has not been snapped up nor have the tablets.

Nov. 29, 2012, 4:57 p.m. EST
Microsoft’s next tablet priced to gather dust
Commentary: Premium pricing not likely to appeal to consumers

By MarketWatch

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) — In the age of bring-your-own device to work, consumers have a lot of say as to what devices they want to use, and Microsoft Corp.’s premium pricing for the Surface Pro tablet may put them off, even if it does have a full Windows 8 offering.

Microsoft MSFT +0.09% said in a blog post Thursday that it was pricing the two forthcoming versions of its Surface tablet, the Surface with Windows 8 Pro, at $899 and $999. These two versions will both have Intel Corp. INTC +0.13% chips and run Windows 8 Pro, along with all current Windows 7 applications. Read Microsoft's blog post.
Click to Play
How are people using tablets?

Which tablet brings in 94% of traffic on the platform, and how do habits change as people move from large devices to smaller ones? OnSwipe CEO Jason Baptiste has some perspective. (Photo: Getty Images)

The software giant also touted the fact that the Surface Pro, which will be available in early 2013, is really a full PC and a tablet. But that premium price is also on par and even higher than some laptops and Ultrabooks, the PC industry’s competitor to Apple Inc.’s AAPL +0.11% MacBook Air.

This comes as NPD Group said in a report that the release of Windows 8 is not really helping revive the ailing PC market. But even worse was the double whammy from NPD about the Surface so far: ”Windows 8 tablet sales have been almost nonexistent, with unit sales representing less than 1% of all Windows 8 device sales to date,” said NPD analyst Stephen Baker. Read: Windows 8 sales aren’t helping PC market.

Reuters
Surface tablets

Microsoft’s first iteration of its Surface tablet was far cheaper in price, but based on chips using ARM Holdings PLC ARMH +1.36% designs, so it’s not as compatible with legacy Windows apps as the Intel-based Surface.

Of course it is very early in Microsoft’s Surface effort, and the more anticipated Intel-based version won’t be out until next year. But given the high prices set for the next Surface, the tablet’s future could be spent gathering dust on Microsoft’s new store shelves. Consumers will keep bring Apple’s iPad, which now starts at $329 for an iPad mini, to get some of their work done.

— Therese Poletti
post #14 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure what the adoption of Win8 on tablets has to do with HTPCs. I wouldn't buy one of those Surface RT tablets, but I think Win8 on computers is great (except for those people who are unable to learn how to do one extra click and learn a few other minor changes). I like it so much I upgraded a computer I hardly use at all just to get the extra speed. It's particularly good on slower computers.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Make sure after you clone your drive that the partitions are correctly aligned in the SSD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/113967-ssd-alignment.html

While win7 recognizes SSDs and automatically aligns its partitions, cloning usually doesnt. In this regard, a new install is better than cloning.
post #16 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

2 choices. Migrate (easy peasy if there's enough space on the new drive) or fresh install. Well actually 3 choices. Fresh install of the OS and programs and use Windows Easy Transfer Wizard to, well, 'Transfer' important files and settings.

Quote:

Please elaborate on the third option for the complete idiot.
Would I:
1: Install the SSD leaving my four hard drives in place connected by SATA with power.
2: Put a Win 7 Image on the SSD
3: Go into the registry and change IDE to ACHI
4: Go into BIOS and make the SSD the boot drive
5: How would I then use easy transfer. For instance how would I transfer my media center setting which have favorite channels and channel logos.
Option 3 is a Win 7 program that will save the settings and files associated with your current Win 7 install and allow you to 'clone' those settings to a new install of Windows. Read the steps carefully and you can pick and choose what settings and files to transfer. You'll be given the option of where to store it. If you have a drive or two that are strictly data drives, you might want to disconnect them so the transfer wizard doesn't waste a lot of time backing them up.

(Just as big an idea thief as)

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page