Problem WMC Through Remote Connection - AVS Forum
Home Theater Computers > Problem WMC Through Remote Connection
Karyk's Avatar Karyk 09:08 AM 12-01-2012
I've been using Jump Desktop to connect to my HTPC on both my normal Windows desktop and my Android device. I mainly use it to schedule programs I forgot to add (e.g. football games), so I don't connect that often. The HTPC is running Win7, and the normal Windows desktop used to connect is running Win8.

Now I can connect, but I can't get WMC to run via the connection. When connected through my desktop I just get the message right away that WMC stopped working. When connecting through Android I get a message that the color resolution isn't high enough.

I've made two changes recently.

First, I installed Win8 on the desktop on which I connect through. I did that the first day Win8 was available, and I don't remember whether I've connected since then or not.

Second, I've changed displays on the HTPC to a 1080p display (before it was 1080i).

Since it won't start WMC using either Win8 or Android, I assume it's not related to Win8 being added to the normal desktop used to connect.

Rico66's Avatar Rico66 10:05 AM 12-01-2012
Does it start as an admin (right click "run as admin)? If that's the case, then you can lower the access rights for HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\Rdp-Tcp (e.g. full access to authenticated users) to fix this.
lockdown571's Avatar lockdown571 10:06 AM 12-01-2012
I can't really answer your question, but why not just use the Ceton Companion App on your Android phone? It's much easier to just schedule missed recordings that way.
Karyk's Avatar Karyk 10:11 AM 12-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

I can't really answer your question, but why not just use the Ceton Companion App on your Android phone? It's much easier to just schedule missed recordings that way.

Because I'd not heard of it. wink.gif

I'll give it a try.
Karyk's Avatar Karyk 08:20 AM 12-02-2012
I can't get port forwarding to work for that program. Reading through their forums, I suspect it's because I have two NICs, but their fixes don't work.

So that gets me back to the original question. Why can't I open WMC when connected?
Charles R's Avatar Charles R 05:29 PM 12-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

Why can't I open WMC when connected?

Going from Windows 8 to Windows 7 (via Remote Connection) I have to run MC as Administrator.
Karyk's Avatar Karyk 08:14 AM 12-04-2012
Thanks, I'll try that.
Rico66's Avatar Rico66 12:49 PM 12-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Going from Windows 8 to Windows 7 (via Remote Connection) I have to run MC as Administrator.
You don't have to do that (see my previous post above)
Karyk's Avatar Karyk 04:27 PM 02-11-2013
I found the answer to this question on a few websites. Apparently a security update in about October caused the problem.

I found a solution here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/media-center/261036-remote-desktop-wmc-stopped-working.html

It involves going into the regedit, finding the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\Rdp-Tcp

and then setting permissions for "Users" to read the key.

It seems to work. Does anyone see a problem with having done that?
bryansj's Avatar bryansj 04:33 PM 02-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

I found the answer to this question on a few websites. Apparently a security update in about October caused the problem.

I found a solution here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/media-center/261036-remote-desktop-wmc-stopped-working.html

It involves going into the regedit, finding the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\Rdp-Tcp

and then setting permissions for "Users" to read the key.

It seems to work. Does anyone see a problem with having done that?

I think it was answered here in the second post and the one above yours...
Karyk's Avatar Karyk 04:43 PM 02-11-2013
Sure enough. I may have been distracted by trying the Centon app, although I don't remember getting it to work properly running as an administrator, so maybe I did that wrong and then never tried the fix.
Up
Mobile  Desktop